• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is the tournament community so amateur?

Inaphyt

Smash Apprentice
It seems at some tournies theres loads of people shouting at you and at your match, being as loud as possible.

I reckon this would put me off quite a bit so i would probably go there with an mp3 player with soothing music to drown out the morons. And if not, calmly say would you guys like to shut up?

I don't know why noone does it, i know it's a game and it's all about fun and **** but getting told you suck and commentating on your every mistake will surely mess your play up quite alot.

Why do you do it? Yea i'm talking to you tournament morons!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Wrong section. Also yes, you can bring your MP3 to drown out the noise, that's what some people do. To add, some people don't mind the noise, as long as the people don't throw them off their game. But fusing about it won't help keep everyone quite however, but you can ask them to be quite because it distracts you from playing.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
I love it when people shout. They usualy end up saying funny things out of no where like "That ain't Falco" and "Happy Feet!"

I won't lie. When I'm watching someone else play I sometimes begin shouting or cheering, but it's just for fun. Besides, watching a match in complete silence would be lame because the audience wouldn't react or cheer if something epic in the match occured.

PrinceRamen

Smash Lord
NNID
PrinceRamen
3DS FC
1590-4706-2476
Agrees with this guy.^

EDIT:
<-------Hey i just noticed Kamina is pointing up too. Oooooooo lol

Zero

Smash Hero
Crowd atmosphere is the single most enjoyable thing about tournaments. If you didn't want it, why don't you just play with your friend in your house, without saying a word, or participate in wifi tournaments instead?

Honestly, people need to learn to focus on the game instead of the environment. It's all just another john.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
If you get distracted by what's going on around you, that's your own **** fault.

As one post I once read said, "If you think it's distracting to be yelled at when you're playing, just imagine how somebody like m2k feels." Especially since most of the time people are rooting for his opponent, since they want their blood >.>

Also everybody who talked about tournament atmosphere is spot on.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
The crowd is good, unless they are really actually throwing you off your game. When people watch I make sure to play as good as possible, I want to impress, especially when its a good player.
The crowd is a good thing

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
Crowd atmosphere is the single most enjoyable thing about tournaments. If you didn't want it, why don't you just play with your friend in your house, without saying a word, or participate in wifi tournaments instead?

Honestly, people need to learn to focus on the game instead of the environment. It's all just another john.
Get out of here Zero. General discussion will rot your brain.

Apollo$

Smash Ace
Don't let the hype get to you and focus on the game, also bring a mp3 player. Hey, the crowd just might be in your favor rooting for you.

Inaphyt

Smash Apprentice
Difference between brawl and sports is that when watching sports your relatively far away from the players, in brawl you have people shouting in your face right behind you in an enclosed room, i personally think games are way more precise than sports well at least mentally as most sports are team orientated and you don't take the full brunt on the skill needed. Brawl singles (the only thing that really matters screw doubles means ****.) are about one mind versus anothers, and any outside tinkering with this will drastically effect the results, when you consider that one match stick on a floor can alter your day completely (butterfly effect) some people respond well to crowds and some don't however i don't think the people that do like crowds will play worse when there are none but that's not true with vice versa.

Showing off is stupid and will get you dead rather than win you a match.

MXblaze

Smash Apprentice
People do it because it makes everything more fun. If you don't like it, then bring your MP3. Nobody cares.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Difference between brawl and sports is that when watching sports your relatively far away from the players, in brawl you have people shouting in your face right behind you in an enclosed room, i personally think games are way more precise than sports well at least mentally as most sports are team orientated and you don't take the full brunt on the skill needed. Brawl singles (the only thing that really matters screw doubles means ****.) are about one mind versus anothers, and any outside tinkering with this will drastically effect the results, when you consider that one match stick on a floor can alter your day completely (butterfly effect) some people respond well to crowds and some don't however i don't think the people that do like crowds will play worse when there are none but that's not true with vice versa.

Showing off is stupid and will get you dead rather than win you a match.
You must not be a very competitive person...

If you can't handle trash talk and shouting, just don't go to tournaments. Not our fault you can't handle the heat. Fighting games (scratch that, all competitive activies) are essentially mental challenges in which great emphasis is placed on focus; if you claim to have lost because of outside factors, it simply means you're not as focused as your opponent. Therefore your opponent deserves the win.

P.S. In tournaments, doubles matters just as much as singles. As long as money, rep, and placings are on the line, all game types are taken seriously.

Top Bottom