• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is punishing in this game so obscenely difficult?

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
It feels like almost no move in this game has any lag at the end. It feels like it's almost impossible to punish in this game so it just encourages people to throw out random moves and get rewarded for it. ****ing ********.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Whiff punishing and reading attack patterns are the new cool in town.

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
It throws me off as well, especially against really quick characters like Greninja or the electric mouse brothers. Against those I can't punish, I have to rely solely on reading their options.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
A lot of short hop aerials are super hard to punish off shield because of the reduction of endlag. You just have to be more patient and wait for your opening. Watch your opponent play and don’t focus on punishing every move they make just keep yourself safe until you see an opening

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Well, I was able to block Chrom and then follow up with a multi-hit jab using Ridley. I did it more than once.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Because waiting for opponents to throw out punishable options was, supposedly, the reason Smash 4 adopted a campy approach to neutral and why many slower characters couldn't compete, so everyone just has safer options in general now. They wanted us to go on the offensive more, so the name of the game is now figuring out how your opponent likes to approach and either evading it to punish or stuffing it out with your own aggression.

Last edited:

TeamChevy86

Smash Rookie
Because waiting for opponents to throw out punishable options was, supposedly, the reason Smash 4 adopted a campy approach to neutral and why many slower characters couldn't compete, so everyone just has safer options in general now. They wanted us to go on the offensive more, so the name of the game is now figuring out how your opponent likes to approach and either evading it to punish or stuffing it out with your own aggression.
The balance feels better in this game already. Every character has their strengths and weaknesses

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
I think people have to learn dodging with movement instead of shield. This may increase your chance for a punish as the shieldlag was increased in this game.

TKD

Smash Lord
That's because of the game's massive input lag, not so much because of low endlag on things. So it's impossible to play perfectly or punish on reaction, but I think you can learn to find your spots if you accept and play around it.

Also the mechanics have some nuances you can use to your advantage, like it's really easy to cross shields up with aerials because aerials have a negative multiplier on shields and thus yield minimal pushback. Also you can hold up and press B and your upspecial gets buffered if your shield gets hit. There's other stuff like moving away and walking so you can immediately dash attack certain whiffs, or going for parries not vs everything but vs very obvious moves.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
LMFAO. no.
Well, it's not perfect for sure, but I can't see how it's not better than Smash 4. How quickly we forget the Hoo Hahs, the Little Mac and Greninja nerfs, the jank Luma kills, Sonic in general, Ganondorf's and Jigglypuff's general uselessness, Cloud's literal entire kit, Bayonetta's literal entire kit, the slow gameplay, the disgusting overreliance on grabbing by most of the cast, the hideous omnipresence of Animal Crossing stages in tournament play, and...well I could keep going, but it's overkill. No, of course Ultimate is not perfect (although its biggest problem definitely doesn't lie in the balance hahaha amazing design for the online play guys bring back taunts now right now right now right now right now right now right now right now right now BRING THEM BACK) but, is it really fair to say it's as bad now as Smash 4 was its entire life?

Top Bottom