• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Melee SD Remix not Popular?

Should we use Melee SD Remix for side tournaments?

• Total voters
Melee's fine even if there are only like 8 characters used in competitive play

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
As a concept, it's really cool. As a legit competitive platform, there just isn't a chance it will succeed. Just because something is interesting (or done well, even) doesn't mean it will catch on.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I didn't watch the whole thing but some of the changes to Bowser were made in poor taste, like his movement is not at all representative of his size. I mean if you really want a mod that plays like Melee but with more viable characters then play PM, unless you really really like Pichu.

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Because a lot of people don't care about the balance in Melee too much and enjoy it for the top tiers and their options.
Also most people who want something that's like Melee and balanced play Project M.

Massive

Smash Champion
PM was made to improve Brawl, which was basically untenable to competitive melee players.
SD Remix was made to improve Melee, which competitive melee players already love and didn't think needed an improvement.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
It's modded Melee. Most "high-level" competitive Melee players will not play modded Melee, as it's usually a waste of time for them. (excluding hacked textures, CSPs, character mdoels, etc., since those don't change the game)

I don't really see it catching on in local tournaments, because who wants to go through the proccess of homebrewing 10~ Wiis? (insert 30-minute process here) I can really only see it catching on in friendlies, as that's what mods are for: Just fun and fooling around.

Also, this question could've been easily asked here instead of clogging the forums:
http://smashboards.com/threads/making-the-handicap-option-viable-for-low-tiers.409340/#post-19601265

EDIT:
I see that you're trying to make the game more balanced and all, but if you want a balanced Smash game, go try PM or Smash 4.
If you REALLY want a competitive, legal, and balanced Smash game with Melee physics, seriously, go try PM.
http://projectmgame.com

Last edited:

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
people haven't fully played it and are bias upon vanilla melee cause its been around so long (man is creature of habit)

give it time and let the hacking tech get better and well start to see it even more- hell I wouldn't be surprises if it competes or does better then P:M- one day it could overrule the main meta-game if cards are played properly

Last edited:

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
people haven't fully played it and are bias upon vanilla melee cause its been around so long (man is creature of habit)

give it time and let the hacking tech get better and well start to see it even more- hell I wouldn't be surprises if it competes or does better then P:M- one day it could overrule the main meta-game if cards are played properly
Nah IMO that crazy talk. It's already missed it's window unless it has another revision and maybe extra tweaks to the stages and characters it's already doneskies.

Like Puff already said PM was popular because it improved a game that was actually really bad to start with. But the large roster and attempt at actually balancing and adding new characters made it very inciting (that and the ease of access and customization). The modern music, graphics, and stages definitely help it as well.

SD remix took a game that was already going strong competitively on it's own for SOOOO many years and basically flipped the tier list upside down. Pretty much the same game but with buffs and handicaps shuffled haphazardly.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I really really like Pichu. :<

I don't think SD remix is worth my time. I'd rather practice crappy Melee Pichu than that. I would, however, main the hell out of Pichu in PM or Sm4sh if he would happen to make it into either of those games (or god forbid both).

JANKX

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-3927-9545
LOL, PM is technically not legal, but I get what you mean: it's universally adopted for the whole community, and thus tournament legal. For Melee, we just have NTSC or PAL, but that could change soon.

SD Remix has a chance of becoming popular, since now you can load it via memory card. SD Remix characters will also make it into the next major revision of 20XX. Think about how people will sometimes gentleman to vanilla 1.0, which requires a disc swap. SD Remix only requires a memory card: http://sdremix.com/2015/07/05/sd-remix-3-2-lite-for-ssbm-v1-02-released/

I personally prefer vanilla Melee, but I wouldn't mind having more options and letting people take advantage of them. Who knows, something really cool could happen if we gave it a shot. At least it's not like Smash 4 with jank customs.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
The purist inside me will always love regular ol'vanilla Melee but I wouldn't mind seeing how well this mod does competitively. It could be really interesting to see how different the meta would be if some changes were made to the lower tiers.

I think I would rather play this over PM.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I've played it a bit and honestly, I don't think it changes the meta that much. It only really bridges the gap between low tiers and the rest of the cast a bit. It's not different enough from Melee to warrant playing it when you could just play Melee.

CrackaaJack

Smash Cadet
They have PM tournies so I don't see why you can't have an SD Remix tourney if you can get enough people who are interested.

Top Bottom