• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is curly sword not active

Blaziner

Smash Rookie
when i do her nair it pulls out the small sword like normal, but then i do fair and it only randomly pulls out the curly sword, unless i do a forward smash and shes holding the curly sword then it always does the fair with the curly sword.

are fairs and bairs actually random? that would really suck.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
You have to do an aerial like a smash attack/with the C stick to use the Levin sword. Once the Levin sword is out, Robin will always use it for aerials until it breaks/you use the bronze sword.

N-air, jab, and tilts always use the bronze sword. If you do a non-smash/non-C stick aerial after any of these, they will also use the bronze sword, and you need to do a smash attack to get the Levin sword back.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
The "curly sword" is your Levin sword. It has limited uses (8 uses) before it has to respawn (Approx. 10 seconds.), and comes out during smash input attacks (Including directional air attacks.) and/or if it is your active sword (Visible by it being in your hand at the time.). Your bronze, weaker sword will come out if you use any tilts or airs with a tilt input.

To make your bronze sword your active sword to stop your airs always using the Levin (Say, if you want to conserve your Levin's uses.), simply use a move that uses only the bronze sword (Preferably something fast, like D-tilt or N-air.) to make it your active sword, then use tilt inputs while in air to avoid pulling out your Levin again.

It takes some time to get used to, but you'll get there eventually. To be honest, you want to be using that Levin as much as possible to rack up the damage unless you're planning for a mix-up or a follow-up or something, so I wouldn't worry too much about it until you feel comfortable upping your game to accomodate the different types of sword's properties.

Blaziner

Smash Rookie
wow, 2 quick great responses, thanx for the help. I'm still a little lost on whether or not it should be random in the air. I get if i want a guaranteed levin (oh **** im learning) fair or bair i gotta do a smash to pull it out, otherwise its random? because thats how its working on my end, kinda a dumb question, im just not a fan of random and wish it was a glitch or something lol

Blaziner

Smash Rookie
its just such a weird mechanic, it seems like it takes forever for my levin to come out instead of the bronse sword. I just keep doing bairs and eventually that damn levin comes out. never heard mention of this mechanic on any tuts

edit: oh an one last thing, how do i choose between the exploding book A combo and the slashes?

thanx again for the help

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
wow, 2 quick great responses, thanx for the help. I'm still a little lost on whether or not it should be random in the air. I get if i want a guaranteed levin (oh **** im learning) fair or bair i gotta do a smash to pull it out, otherwise its random? because thats how its working on my end, kinda a dumb question, im just not a fan of random and wish it was a glitch or something lol
its just such a weird mechanic, it seems like it takes forever for my levin to come out instead of the bronse sword. I just keep doing bairs and eventually that damn levin comes out. never heard mention of this mechanic on any tuts
Again, it all depends on the input and active sword. Yeah, it's a bit confusing for a new Robin player, I can imagine, but basically, if you input the air move as a smash attack, or your Levin sword is active, your airs will always be the Levin sword. Any other time, it will be your bronze sword. To make a sword your active sword, just do a move that uses it.

The only limitation you really have to this, is that if you want to go back to using bronze sword air attacks, you'll have to make your bronze sword active again by using a move that can only use the bronze sword, and avoid doing "smash inputs" for airs.

There's no random element to it. It's just kind of weird and character specific to Robin, so there's definately no shame in not getting it straight away. lol I'd run into training mode, just to get a hang of it first. Experiment with inputs and active swords for a while, you'll get the hang of it.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Top Bottom