• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I Hate Dark Pit (Other Clone Suggestions)

Dark Pit or Naw?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'd say that in a fighting game, different properties can go a long way to make a difference between two similiar-on-the-paper characters.
The problem is that Smash is just about at the maximum of characters it can hold. The new clones, including the rebuilt Doc, are mostly worse versions of the originals with an occasional plus.

We don't need clones like Wolf and Lucas over unique characters like Greninja or Robin, explaining their removal. They weren't reintroduced due to time constraints, explaining the clone trio. Naturally, it's pretty easy to balance characters that are mostly worse then the originals.

For my money I was always salty over D.Pit being made over a Greninja-cloned Sceptile. Pokemon deserves the reps and newcomers. I would have settled for anything that is at least a character with their own name. Mario with a coat and university degree, let's call him 'Dr.Mario', it'll be great. Or how about an angsty version of Pit and looks exactly the same except he wears darker colors. 'Dark Pit', I can see it now, he'll be such a hit!

It just smacks of corner cutting, and sadly of a game where they clearly poured a lot of man power and effort into it. They should have put the little extra money and time into game to get the clones the game and fans deserved, not these phoned-in alt costumes getting their own slot.
The problem being that the whole "just put a liiitle more time in" bit just continues endlessly. Sakurai has said that he's against just fattening up a game. I'd rather have a game on time myself.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
The problem being that the whole "just put a liiitle more time in" bit just continues endlessly. Sakurai has said that he's against just fattening up a game. I'd rather have a game on time myself.
It doesn't continue endlessly unless you allow it to. If there is a very visable weakness in a major part of the game that can be remedied with an extra week or two, I believe everyone would be better off if they go for it. The AAA industry really shouldnt have excuses in this regard. The Smash series is a money printer, they had the resources to hire an extra person or plan out the roster ahead of time a little better.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
And no, you misunderstood. Dark Pit as a character only had a chance to get into Smash as a clone. The point is that he's an easy addition working off of Pit.
That sounds narrow-minded if you ask me. Then again Ganondorf pretty much the same over 3 entries.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It doesn't continue endlessly unless you allow it to. If there is a very visable weakness in a major part of the game that can be remedied with an extra week or two, I believe everyone would be better off if they go for it. The AAA industry really shouldnt have excuses in this regard. The Smash series is a money printer, they had the resources to hire an extra person or plan out the roster ahead of time a little better.
When it comes to including Smash characters, it's simply a list of most to least important with no new clones. When they have leftover time, and they will, it's put to a clone or two. Like I said, it's endless. That list probably has almost every Nintendo character remotely capable of fighting on there.

That sounds narrow-minded if you ask me. Then again Ganondorf pretty much the same over 3 entries.
There's two ways to get into Smash: Having a unique moveset, or being a clone. DP is obviously a clone.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
There's two ways to get into Smash: Having a unique moveset, or being a clone. DP is obviously a clone.
I disagree. I've seen various trophies of several things from Nintendo games in Smash 4. But if you mean as a playable character. Then yeah I think that's pretty obvious. Dark Pit ain't no Akuma though.

Folt

Smash Ace
I think the reason Wolf and Lucas ultimately didn't get in is because they, in a way, look rather similiar to some other characters in Smash but are less popular + their movesets would require about the same years to balance that an original character would. Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, etc. do not need that amount of time because of their clone nature.

(Also, I'm pretty sure Sceptile would be in the same boat as Wolf and Lucas if it would be based off of Greninja like some guy suggested.)

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
(Also, I'm pretty sure Sceptile would be in the same boat as Wolf and Lucas if it would be based off of Greninja like some guy suggested.)
Except he would be a newcomer so he would be more comparable to D.Pit, Lucina, and Dr.Mario. Are you saying wolf and lucas were too decloned for their own good? I think that was true of all characters by Brawl. He could have just as easily kept those two and got rid of Ike and Toon Link. I think it's just Sakurai has a different sense of priorities than the core fans do. That and/or interfetence from Nintendo or some inexcusable lack of resources. Ultimately it's more likely someone in charge didn't really care and knew that shortcuts could be taken and a notable blemish could exist on the product that only invested fans who would buy the game anyway would notice. Smash 4 was going to sell whether they shoed in some undeserving and unwanted, but easy, clones at the end or put in the tiny little bit of extra effort for real fan service clones, be Sceptile or Dixie or whoever. On the other hand, they are doing a playable chracter dlc, so maybe it was just poor scheduling.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Ugh, great. Another ignorant person thinking Dark Pit could've been replaced by anyone at all, with no idea how development works whatsoever. You can have your opinion of not liking Dark Pit in the game, that's fine. But don't think for a single second he could've been replaced by anything at all. Let me give you a bit of a detailed explanation why your suggestions are nothing more than a showing of ignorance, since you're not the first to do so.

1: Dark Pit is an actual recolor by design. This fact alone deters alot of suggestions you could come up with.
2: The voice actor for Dark Pit is also conveniently Pit's. It was very easy to set up without costing any big money.
3: He is LITERALLY a clone, making him even easier to copy over Pit whilst keeping him accurate.
4: Dark Pit is Sakurai's work. This means he already has knowledge of the character, he already has the rights to use the character, and he already has the materials available to MAKE the character. There are no hassles involved at all.
5: Dark Pit needed less manpower to make than even a SINGLE one of your precious 8 Koopalings. He took far less work than ONE Smash Run enemy. Even a single new item would've taken more effort. Don't get me started on all the technical babble. Anyone who's ever done visual designing, animated anything, or has written any type of code, will agree with me on this.

In short, quit complaining. I'm not saying that just because I disagree with your opinion, I'm saying that because you(and many others like you) don't know what you're talking about. Nothing you could "suggest" would've been a possible alternative to Dark Pit. But the ignorance of people like you spread to others like some kind of contagious mental disease. They'll act pretentious like a better "decision" could've been made, with the knowledge other ignorant people agree with their opinion. Yet this isn't a matter of opinion at all. It's a matter of cold hard facts. Dark Pit was the easiest "character" they could've added, period.

You're also deluding yourself if you think DP's presence didn't make hundreds of people happy. Once again, a matter of facts.
While I agree Dark Pit was easy to add, I know he is not the easiest clone. I will spare you the technical details, but it is obviously that a clone from Melee like the mentioned Roy would have been much easier to add.

Since they already made Roy, it would have been a simpler matter of porting Roy and integrating him into the new code. That is even easier to do then recoloring and changing some moves. Also Pit got a new Final Smash while they could have duplicated Marth's for Roy.

So yeah it is obvious time was not an issue and Sakurai just wanted his own character in.

Folt

Smash Ace
Except he would be a newcomer so he would be more comparable to D.Pit, Lucina, and Dr.Mario. Are you saying wolf and lucas were too decloned for their own good? I think that was true of all characters by Brawl. He could have just as easily kept those two and got rid of Ike and Toon Link. I think it's just Sakurai has a different sense of priorities than the core fans do. That and/or interfetence from Nintendo or some inexcusable lack of resources. Ultimately it's more likely someone in charge didn't really care and knew that shortcuts could be taken and a notable blemish could exist on the product that only invested fans who would buy the game anyway would notice. Smash 4 was going to sell whether they shoed in some undeserving and unwanted, but easy, clones at the end or put in the tiny little bit of extra effort for real fan service clones, be Sceptile or Dixie or whoever. On the other hand, they are doing a playable chracter dlc, so maybe it was just poor scheduling.
I am in fact saying that they were indeed too decloned for their own good. Brawl notably had to be pushed back a good deal from it's original release date, and one of the reasons might have been that none of the characters in it had been a true clone: Lucas and Wolf had mostly different A Moves that make it hard to call them semi-clones (and Wolf might not even have been a semi-clone at all since the only attacks he "shared" with Fox were similiar-looking variants of his specials and FS). Ike was not and never was a clone, his only similiarities to Marth was having a chargeable neutral and a counter as his down special. Toon Link, while being one of the more disputed pairs, had at least as many changes to set him apart from his adult counterpart as Luigi got in Melee to set him more apart from his brother Mario in that game. And just about all of them (except Lucas) have notably different physics from the ones they're typically compared to.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
While I agree Dark Pit was easy to add, I know he is not the easiest clone. I will spare you the technical details, but it is obviously that a clone from Melee like the mentioned Roy would have been much easier to add.

Since they already made Roy, it would have been a simpler matter of porting Roy and integrating him into the new code. That is even easier to do then recoloring and changing some moves. Also Pit got a new Final Smash while they could have duplicated Marth's for Roy.

So yeah it is obvious time was not an issue and Sakurai just wanted his own character in.
Sakurai said they couldn't port over Melee data and FE already had a Marth clone, so...

Oh, and DP was probably a costume with his own voice already. Considering the fact that he shares a VA with Pit in most languages, he was already an easy addition.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Sakurai said they couldn't port over Melee data and FE already had a Marth clone, so...

Oh, and DP was probably a costume with his own voice already. Considering the fact that he shares a VA with Pit in most languages, he was already an easy addition.
OK

Last edited:

MarthOfHyrule

Smash Cadet
NNID
MarthOfHyrule
The only clone that bothers me is Lucina. I know she was an alt, but WHY NOT CHROM???????????

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
I stopped reading when you suggested Shadow the Hedgehog.
That's dumber than Dark Pit.
That's a cringeworthy suggestion.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Toon-Link is much worse. And Darkpit is more than great. Why do you hate him? He has his own style. I like Lucina and Dr. Mario too but Darkpit is unique.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Toon-Link is much worse. And Darkpit is more than great. Why do you hate him? He has his own style. I like Lucina and Dr. Mario too but Darkpit is unique.
How is Toon Link worse? He has different attacks from his counterpart.

Slaudial

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0233-0174-7067
Yeah I don't think you know what you're talking about there

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
What makes Dark Pit so different?
Because unlike Pit, Dark Pit reminds me of a black hairy armpit.... um, because then I don't see why Dark Link and Dark Samus were left for being alts. Also, I think that Kid Icarus is way too overrepresented. 3 games... 3 reps.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Because unlike Pit, Dark Pit reminds me of a black hairy armpit.... um, because then I don't see why Dark Link and Dark Samus were left for being alts. Also, I think that Kid Icarus is way too overrepresented. 3 games... 3 reps.
I guess it's cause Dark Samus was an assist trophy already and Dark Link is...rather boring, to be honest. Dark Pit was given more screen time and individuality in Uprising then Dark Link got in the entire LoZ franchise.

I don't deny that Kid Icarus might be just a little over-represented, though.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Please... The world doesn't want to see Dark Link, going by the reaction of a second Link who is very different from it's counterpart.

"They should have made Dark Link his own characters instead", said no one ever.

And the amount of games has never been an indicator proportional to the amount of playable characters, that's just a fan misconception.

Last edited:

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
How is Toon Link worse? He has different attacks from his counterpart.

What I mean is: If Darkpit doesn't deserve to exist or to be in SSB4, all other clones doesn't deserve it too. I choosed Toon-Link because I know how popular he is. ^^ That shows how senseless the thinking of ZeldaMaster is. ^^ ( Oh and I choosed Toon-Link because '' Zelda ''. Equal rights for everyone. ^^ )

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
What I mean is: If Darkpit doesn't deserve to exist or to be in SSB4, all other clones doesn't deserve it too. I choosed Toon-Link because I know how popular he is. ^^ That shows how senseless the thinking of ZeldaMaster is. ^^ ( Oh and I choosed Toon-Link because '' Zelda ''. Equal rights for everyone. ^^ )
Although dark pit is easily the cloniest clone of them all, well except for melee falco I guess

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Don't worry, y'all. All of this hate will go down the drain once Dark Pit makes a return in SSB5.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Although dark pit is easily the cloniest clone of them all, well except for melee falco I guess
Thats a fallacy. Darkpit has another strategys than Pit. The attacks looks like the same but the strategys are different. For example:

If you use the electroshockarm in the air for recovery and you hit an opponent, he could hit against the stage and fall down like a meteorsmash.

Next example:

Pits arrows are more controllable than Darkpits. If your opponent fall from the top you can use your arrow to hit or to deceive him. If you deceive him you can punish your oppenent... mostly. Or if he try to recover its easier to hit him with the arrow because Pits controllable arrows.

sweglawd

Smash Rookie
I guess that the reason dark pit is in is sakurai said "well, i made kid icarus and palutena is very wanted who else would they like?" then took 17 kilos of cocaine then started to develop the game

MightyJake

Smash Rookie
I'm not really bothered. I really liked him in uprising, but I can see why people are bothered by it. but still if he wasn't in the game, I don't think we would have gotten some one else instead.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
It is a pity if many gamers hate that Darkpit is in. I think this is the last SSB4 and Kid Icarus will not get a sequel. Mario, Link, Pokemon etc. will ever have a sequel. Kid Icarus fans like me want to have more things from Kid Icarus series. Mario, Link, Pokemon fans etc. will get a lot of sequels. For Kid Icarus fans its '' game over ''. Begrudge the Kid Icarus fans that they have once more than 1 game. The fans of other franchise especially the named should be glad that they will have a sequel after another.

SSB4 got one time much Kid Icarus contents and you're complaining about it? Its a shame. That shows how spoilt Mario, Zelda, Pokemon fans etc. are with their 1.000.000 sequels.

Ask a Kid Icarus fan in 7 years how many games they got. Your answer will be 0.

Ask a Zelda, Mario ................ fan how many games they got. Do you understand what I mean?

For a Kid Icarus fan, Sakurai and SSB4 are great help for these particularly franchise. And Fans like me think Kid Icarus deserves to get sequels like Mario, Zelda etc.

Kid Icarus isn't on an equal footing like Zelda for example. But it doesn't mean that Kid Icarus hasn't the potenzial to be it.
Try Kid Icarus Uprising and you'll know what I mean.

Darkpit is an unique dark character. He isn't just the villain angel if you think that and he is very different from the others.

I think people who hate him, have prejudices.

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I guess it's cause Dark Samus was an assist trophy already and Dark Link is...rather boring, to be honest. Dark Pit was given more screen time and individuality in Uprising then Dark Link got in the entire LoZ franchise.

I don't deny that Kid Icarus might be just a little over-represented, though.
Only time Dark Link ever got the spotlight was when he was the main villain in the 2nd Zelda game (along with being a stubborn mini boss in the Water Temple).

Folt

Smash Ace
Only time Dark Link ever got the spotlight was when he was the main villain in the 2nd Zelda game (along with being a stubborn mini boss in the Water Temple).
Dark Link wasn't even the main villain there either. He was just a final boss.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It is a pity if many gamers hate that Darkpit is in. I think this is the last SSB4 and Kid Icarus will not get a sequel. Mario, Link, Pokemon etc. will ever have a sequel. Kid Icarus fans like me want to have more things from Kid Icarus series. Mario, Link, Pokemon fans etc. will get a lot of sequels. For Kid Icarus fans its '' game over ''. Begrudge the Kid Icarus fans that they have once more than 1 game. The fans of other franchise especially the named should be glad that they will have a sequel after another.

SSB4 got one time much Kid Icarus contents and you're complaining about it? Its a shame. It shows how spoilt Mario, Zelda, Pokemon fans etc. are with their 1.000.000 sequels.

Ask a Kid Icarus fan in 7 years how many games they got. Your answer will be 0.

Ask a Zelda, Mario ................ fan how many games they got. Do you understand what I mean?

For a Kid Icarus fan, Sakurai and SSB4 are great help for these particularly franchise. And Fans like me think Kid Icarus deserves to get sequels like Mario, Zelda etc.

Kid Icarus isn't on an equal footing like Zelda for example. But it doesn't mean that Kid Icarus hasn't the potenzial to be it.
Try Kid Icarus Uprising and you'll know what I mean.

Darkpit is an unique dark character. He isn't just the villain angel if you think that and he is very different from the others.

I think people who hate him, have prejudices.
This. Sakurai brought Kid Icarus back from obscurity and made a game so chock-full of content and memorable that he wouldn't have to make another game. Which is just as well, considering he has no plans to make a sequel.

Smash 4 is, as well as anything else, Kid Icarus's legacy testament. Sakurai didn't deliberately include loads and loads of content from the game to stroke his ego, he did it because it was convenient and he knows people are fans of the game. That it will ensure Kid Icarus continues for a long time to come is just a bonus feature.

Long story short, Kid Icarus pretty much needs Smash to carry on. Unless another developer decides to pick up Pit and friends - and Sakurai has made it clear he's hesitant to pass on the reins to somebody else - the series is pretty much finished. In a game that has over fifty characters, why would one extra character - that, it must be stressed, took about a month of dev time, at most, to create - be such a big deal? It may seem like Dark Pit was included just so Sakurai could pat himself on the back for how well he did for himself, but it's also a tribute to Kid Icarus fans. It's the way Kid Icarus will carry on, regardless of whether or not Sakurai or another developer intends on formally continuing the series: the conversation between Pit and Pittoo in their Palutena's Guidance speech proves that Sakurai is enabling his characters to tell their story even after Uprising's credits have finished rolling.

Is it bias? Without a doubt. But bias is not necessarily a bad thing. Sakurai is biased towards his series because it's his series. He can't do anything with, say, F-Zero or Mother because they aren't his series. He has no reason to or intent to tell those characters' stories, because he's not developing those games or telling those stories in the first place. Kid Icarus relies on Sakurai, though, and he has an opportunity to do something with that series to please fans and show them that there's still something to look forward to. I may not be a big fan of Pittoo as a character - I prefer Pit myself - but I'm very, very happy that he won't be ditched or tossed into the trash heap anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom