• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why does Sakurai hate competitive melee so much

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordYobin

Smash Rookie
I mean it was kinda obvious cuz when Brawl came around he got rid of wavedashing, L canceling, Moonwalking and other advanced techniqes to appeal to a casual playerbase soooooo...
btw there was also a random chance of tripping when you dash danced:marthmelee:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I mean it was kinda obvious cuz when Brawl came around he got rid of wavedashing, L canceling, Moonwalking and other advanced techniqes to appeal to a casual playerbase soooooo...
That's because he believed Smash would have no future if it was only for hardcore players. Now Smash perfectly balances casual and competitive play in Ultimate. I don't seem to see your point.

LordYobin

Smash Rookie
Sakurai never supported the melee community because he said it was too difficult (article hear for interview) http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-08-smash-bros-melee-was-too-difficult? but fighting games were made to be difficult, don't get me wrong I think It's great that Sakurai supports both casual/competitive players in Ultimate now but he can't just act like competitive melee players don't exist forever.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
but fighting games were made to be difficult,
I disagree with this statement. Fighting games are like sports: you get into it, you practice, you get good. They’re not made to be difficult; they’re just intimidating to other audiences because of their complexity. If you take time to understand how they work, you’ll see things in a clearer way. I assume what you said is the conclusion you’ve come up with since Smash is the only fighting game you’ve played.

Also, see Divekick.

don't get me wrong I think It's great that Sakurai supports both casual/competitive players in Ultimate now but he can't just act like competitive melee players don't exist forever.
No where does it say he hates the Melee community, though. He simply did not envision Smash as a strictly-competitive series. Don’t try to spin things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom