• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does Kirby deserve to be in the 'Top 4'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JawaJedi

Smash Journeyman
In Melee's intro cinema, and e3 2006's Brawl trailer, Mario, Link, Pikachu, and Kirby are the first four characters seen, and appear to be the most important characters, in a way. I know why Mario Link and Pikachu deserve to be there, they still make many new and great games, but why Kirby?

I know Sakurai created him, but not very many new Kirby games are made, and when they are, they're not remembered as being some of the best games. Who do you think should be there instead of him?

I would say Samus should be instead of him. Prime 3 sold millions, and I've heard really good things, so that seems like the best choice to me.

Who do you think should be there instead of him?

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Play SSE.

Just go play it, right now.

Beat it.

And you tell me who are the ones who did the most out of everyone.

The answer is Sakurai is biased, and because Smash Bros. is Sakurai's brain child, it makes sense that he would make Kirby out to be far more grandeur than he actually is.

Which puzzles me as to why he didn't give Kirby a better FS....

Play SSE.

Beat it.

The answer is Sakurai is biased, and because Smash Bros. is Sakurai's brain child, it makes sense that he would make Kirby out to be far more grandeur than he actually is.

Which puzzles me as to why he didn't give Kirby a better FS....
This basicially.

Granted, the Kirby series is still a great seller.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Kirby's pretty **** old. I'm not sure how it compares to the Metroid series, since I know Metroid dates back pretty **** far too. Both are iconic symbols of Nintendo.

While Sakurai obviously has some bias, Kirby's more important than you may think.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
With no Kirby, there would be no smash bros. and Kirby is sakurai's character. and he is(maybe) a more popular character than Samus.

JawaJedi

Smash Journeyman
I know Kirby is awesome, and a very important character, but I'm not talking about importance of the character, I'm talking about representation of the game series.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Answer = Kirby is Awesome

but yes final smash could be improved
Kirby's FS fit's his chracter alot, he loves to eat so much, so why not cook his foes for his nature. But if you added Mike Kirby, or Crash Kirby then Kirby's FS would be in the catogory of too broken.

Back on topic: Kirby is the third most popular video game character in Nintendo. Kirby has a great amount of fans and such. Matter of fact, Kirby is one of the Nintendo icons that strengthens Nintendo in a lot of ways.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Another reason besides that is probably the comic effect, seen here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7FO83eZdWks

As you can see in the beginning of the video, the four Melee versions of the characters come running in, only to transform into their Brawl form. The first three look completely different, while Kirby looks identical and baffled. It's the comic effect of it all.

Oh yeah, and Sakurai created him, and Kirby inspired many games with the interesting theory of copy abilities.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Even if it might be partly Sakurai's bias, Kirby is really big. When Melee came out, establishing the four big characters, the last Metroid game to come out was Super Metroid. Not to mention Metroid, much like many other franchises in SSB, is much, much smaller than the Kirby franchise. The Kirby franchise is also a bit of a classic, with much loved games on the Game Boys and NES.

Quite frankly, Kirby deserves to be there much more than any other Smash Bros. character (well, excluding Mario, Pikachu, and Link).

Well, except the third parties, but they don't count.

:034:

Smash Hero
Because Kirby is important to Nintendo's history. He's been around since the NES days and made appearances on the Game Boys, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 and most recently, the DS and might possibly make another appearance on the Wii. It has more games than Metroid and Star Fox, the other big series.

It's also because Kirby is more marketable than Fox or Samus.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Cause Sakurai is Biased.
yes, let's ignore the fact that it was the Mario series who practically dominated in Melee. With 4 stages, 5 characters, and the fact that an alternate Mario song was not played in a Mario stage.

Besides, biased or not, Kirby deserved more rep anyway.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
yes, let's ignore the fact that it was the Mario series who practically dominated in Melee. With 4 stages, 5 characters, and the fact that an alternate Mario song was not played in a Mario stage.

Besides, biased or not, Kirby deserved more rep anyway.
This is Brawl, not Melee. Mario is the best Nintendo has. Sakurai had a sudden change of heart kicking out Doctor Mario and adding 2 more kirby representaives. Besides i was being sarcastic:dizzy:

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Who cares? Sakurai made him and there is about 20 kirby games with a new one coming out for the DS. There's a Kirby game nearly every year.

Seriously though, it doesn't matter. Who cares?

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
Kirby is more known, sells better and have a bigger fanbase than all the characters in Smash (besides Mario, Zelda and Pokemon).

Best selling franchises of all time:

1-Mario 200 million (Mario Kart not included)
2-Pokemon 175 million
3-Zelda 52 million
4-Donkey Kong 48 million
5-Kirby 30 million
6-Brain Age 23.81 million
7-Nintendogs 15.77 million
8-Metroid 13 million
9-AnimalCrossing 7 million

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Kirby is more known, sells better and have a bigger fanbase than all the characters in Smash (besides Mario, Zelda and Pokemon).

Best selling franchises of all time:

1-Mario 200 million (Mario Kart not included)
2-Pokemon 175 million
3-Zelda 52 million
4-Donkey Kong 48 million
5-Kirby 30 million
6-Brain Age 23.81 million
7-Nintendogs 15.77 million
8-Metroid 13 million
9-AnimalCrossing 7 million
Judging by those sales, shouldn't Donkey Kong be the top 4, not Kirby?

PCHU

Smash Lord
Man, how did metroid PHAIL?
I LOVE that game series.
The only failure in that is.....
Well, they were all good.
Metroid Fusion was the only thing that disappoints, and that's because of sequence breaking.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Remember the intro in SSB64?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMlwNVqdhNc

Check out 1:02-1:12, Mario and Kirby are depicted in a showdown, but jump up and show all of the characters in a clash. That original match-up of Kirby and Mario is belived to be the match-up between the mascots of Nintendo and HAL Laboratory, the developers of SSB. That has been carried through the Smash series, as the same match-up was at the very beginning of the SSE. It's like seing a match between Nintendo and HAL Laboratory.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Kirby is arguably one of the top 6 (Mario, Link, Samus, Pikachu, Kirby, DK) of Nintendo's leading flagship characters. It's one of Nintendo's longest running and most fondly loved franchises, and while that fondness is a little smaller and more reserved in the west, in Japan Kirby is actually obscenely popular too. Kirby Wii is still one of the most anticipated nonexistent titles among Japanese gamer bases and there are so many fanart pages that are Kirby-centric that I know there's an actual search engine just for them. It's hardly some obscure series that suddenly got a lot of attention because the Smash Brothers creator just happens to be Kirby's creator.

Plus he's been a somewhat reserved entry in the past two, with Dedede and Meta Knight give him some time in the spotlight for once.

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
Remember the intro in SSB64?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMlwNVqdhNc

Check out 1:02-1:12, Mario and Kirby are depicted in a showdown, but jump up and show all of the characters in a clash. That original match-up of Kirby and Mario is belived to be the match-up between the mascots of Nintendo and HAL Laboratory, the developers of SSB. That has been carried through the Smash series, as the same match-up was at the very beginning of the SSE. It's like seing a match between Nintendo and HAL Laboratory.
Aw, you beat me to it. I even had the Youtube video all loaded and ready to go too. :laugh:

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Play SSE.

Beat it.

Well actually, both Mario and Kirby are tied for most levels they play together (9), who both kind of represent the two companies that make Smash, Nintendo and Hal. Interestingly, if you play it right, Mario, Nintendo's mascot, is turned into the trophy the most times (Four, if you play Kirby in the first level and beat him, after the first level, in the lake shore level if you play as Link or Yoshi, and of course during Tabuu's introduction) while Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario's former rival, is the only character in the SSE storyline not to be turned into a trophy at all! (Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf were not included in the storyline and don't count)

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
All four were in the series since the beginning, so why aren't we making threads titled,

"Why does Pikachu deserve to be in the Top 4?"

"In Melee's intro cinema, and e3 2006's Brawl trailer, Mario, Link, Pikachu, and Kirby are the first four characters seen, and appear to be the most important characters, in a way. I know why Mario Link and Kirby deserve to be there, they still make many new and great games, but why Pikachu?

Not very many new Pokemon games are made, and when they are, they're not remembered as being some of the best games.

Who do you think should be there instead of him?"

It's kicking out one of the originals, and it's been said before, but Kirby and Mario are pretty much always seen fighting. (Intros)

Kirby is an important part of Smash Bros., just like Pikachu, Link, and Mario.

(It's kind of silly how we're complaining about who was in the trailer)
(And no, i'm not saying Pikachu sucks, I just needed an example)

HADOOKEN

Smash Apprentice
I think: they did it for two reasons
1. kirby was a starter in the orriginal smash and is instantly reconizable.
2. every one else got nice new graphics, specially link, so it was kind of a joke when kirby got "made over" cuz i dont think anything changed.... maybe his cheeks got more rosey, but thats pushin it.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
simply becausse Kirby has a "spot" within Sakurai himself and that's what made Sakurai include Kirby has one of the "Top 4" of smash

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Even if it might be partly Sakurai's bias, Kirby is really big. When Melee came out, establishing the four big characters, the last Metroid game to come out was Super Metroid. Not to mention Metroid, much like many other franchises in SSB, is much, much smaller than the Kirby franchise. The Kirby franchise is also a bit of a classic, with much loved games on the Game Boys and NES.
Something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom