• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does Ganondorf have to be a sword user in the Zelda series?

Quillion

Smash Hero
So now that Ganondorf has appeared again in TotK, he's once again wielding a sword. Although the trend of Ganondorf wielding a sword had its start in OoT where he transformed into a Ganon with two swords, he has now appeared three times wielding different kinds of swords in 'Dorf form after that. By all accounts, this should be enough to establish that Ganondorf is a sword wielder by default.

So I have to ask: why does he need to be a sword wielder in the first place? When anyone says they want Ganondorf to be a sword wielder in Smash, they always say "because it's more canon". They always gloss over whether it makes Ganondorf more fun to fight or entertaining to look at. It's always "canon", nothing more nothing less.

Frankly, I'm tired of seeing Ganondorf using a sword by obligation in his own series. Smash's portrayal of him stands out way more than other fantasy video game overlords because he focuses his power into giving himself brute strength without the need of any weapons or fancy magic tricks. Yet the Zelda team still insists on shoehorning sword use onto Ganondorf because we always need final sword duel for the proper final boss fight of a Zelda game.

So is there anyone who has a good reason for Ganondorf to be a sword user in the Zelda series itself? Because the people who want Ganondorf to be a brawler actually have better arguments most of the time because they go beyond "it's what he is in his series."

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I like bruiser Ganon, but I honestly don't see the issue with Ganondorf having a sword, be it Smash or actual Zelda games.

The actual devs want Ganondorf to use a sword, so he has one, I don't know what else to say.

For Smash it's also pretty simple. Fans play Zelda. Then they play Smash and find out he's a :ultfalcon: clone. They think that's strange and want Ganondorf to be unique.

I think Falcondorf is fun. I mean, I've been a Ganondorf main for the vast majority of my time as Smash fan. But I don't think it's strange for fans of Ganondorf to want something more representative of the character the way he is in his actual games.

Granted, I don't believe everything needs to be a 1 to 1 reference, but at the end of the day slow Falcon isn't what Zelda fans want for the character.

Also hard disagree on the brawler Ganon side having "better arguments" for how he should be. This is all preference. I like Ganondorf how he is now, but I'm not going to immediately dismiss the idea of Ganon with a sword. If we don't even know what that looks like yet, how can you so readily write it off?

If you end up not liking it, then you'll simply have swapped positions with those that dislike Falcondorf.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I always figured Ganon (and later Ganondorf's) use of swords was to to make him the dark mirror of Link in that sense; the King of Evil with his weapon against the Hero with the Blade of Evil's Bane. Heck sword locking with Ganondorf in the final boss of Twilight Princess is one of the most iconic duels in the series because of the similar weapons.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think Falcondorf is fun. I mean, I've been a Ganondorf main for the vast majority of my time as Smash fan. But I don't think it's strange for fans of Ganondorf to want something more representative of the character the way he is in his actual games.
It's strange when all they say is "it's canon", but never "he's better by being canon".

This is coming from the same fandom who dislikes FLUDD because it's far less fun than Mario Tornado despite technically being more canonical.

I always figured Ganon (and later Ganondorf's) use of swords was to to make him the dark mirror of Link in that sense; the King of Evil with his weapon against the Hero with the Blade of Evil's Bane. Heck sword locking with Ganondorf in the final boss of Twilight Princess is one of the most iconic duels in the series because of the similar weapons.
If they really wanted to do that, Ganondorf would inherit Demise's Sword by now, but now Ganondorf just keeps switching the kind of sword he uses, so that makes no sense.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Ganondorf has always seemed to be portrayed more as a cunning schemer so I think it makes perfect sense for him to fight you with some kind of weapon and not just by brute strength alone. Plus often times he’ll have a phase where he turns to Ganon which gives the opportunity for that “brute strength” fight alongside the sword battle too

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
It's strange when all they say is "it's canon", but never "he's better by being canon".

This is coming from the same fandom who dislikes FLUDD because it's far less fun than Mario Tornado despite technically being more canonical.

If they really wanted to do that, Ganondorf would inherit Demise's Sword by now, but now Ganondorf just keeps switching the kind of sword he uses, so that makes no sense.
I think you're splitting hairs over the phrasing at this point. For those fans, Ganondorf would be better if he were more canonical. They don't like the fact that he's been a Falcon clone all this time.

Whether a sword Ganondorf turns out to be "fun" is yet to be seen, but it's also not something you can measure objectively. Fans of current Ganon would miss the Falcondorf play style but just as many could easily pick up the character if the new one suits their tastes.

Why is Ganondorf switching between weapons in the actual Zelda games an issue exactly?

The core concept of his fights changes from game to game.

In WW and TP it was to have a more traditional duel between swordsman.

It doesn't necessitate giving him a literal counterpart to the Master Sword. They just wanted to have the player have a sword duel with the big bad.

At this point you'd have to up your complaint with the actual Zelda team rather than Smash. We're far more likely to keep bruiser Ganondorf in Smash than to get swordless/weaponless Ganondorf in actual Zelda games.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Ganondorf has always seemed to be portrayed more as a cunning schemer so I think it makes perfect sense for him to fight you with some kind of weapon and not just by brute strength alone. Plus often times he’ll have a phase where he turns to Ganon which gives the opportunity for that “brute strength” fight alongside the sword battle too
TBH, it's really hard to see Ganondorf as a cunning schemer when he's mostly just chilling in his lair not getting things done.

Also, if they really wanted to portray him as a schemer, he would have a better burst movement option (like an better roll, special, or potential new wavedash-like universal mechanic) so he can react to mistakes and punish them better instead of being pure unga bunga.

I think you're splitting hairs over the phrasing at this point. For those fans, Ganondorf would be better if he were more canonical. They don't like the fact that he's been a Falcon clone all this time.

Whether a sword Ganondorf turns out to be "fun" is yet to be seen, but it's also not something you can measure objectively. Fans of current Ganon would miss the Falcondorf play style but just as many could easily pick up the character if the new one suits their tastes.
They could make Ganondorf more unique from Falcon without having to rely on the obligatory sword that the Zelda team insists on.

For example, Warlock Punch could have a weak "tap" version that can stun for followups or reflect projectiles. I'd think that Wizfoot can be revamped to be more like the Star Fox "directional dash" so that he has more variety in movement. Perhaps he could even not use his foot (and move the kick animation to his dash attack instead).

If people want him to not be a Falcon clone in Smash, they should go for that, but they shouldn't bring in something that makes him boring just because it's canonical to him the way FLUDD did to Mario. Maybe it's time to start making crap up again.

At this point you'd have to up your complaint with the actual Zelda team rather than Smash. We're far more likely to keep bruiser Ganondorf in Smash than to get swordless/weaponless Ganondorf in actual Zelda games.
My complaint IS with the Zelda team because Ganondorf being just another sword user in a universe of sword users makes him not really stand out that much in his own universe or even the entire fantasy video game genre. They absolutely SHOULD have a puncher Ganondorf as a boss fight in the Zelda series and not keep insisting on making him a boring sword wielder.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
TBH, it's really hard to see Ganondorf as a cunning schemer when he's mostly just chilling in his lair not getting things done.

Also, if they really wanted to portray him as a schemer, he would have a better burst movement option (like an better roll, special, or potential new wavedash-like universal mechanic) so he can react to mistakes and punish them better instead of being pure unga bunga.

They could make Ganondorf more unique from Falcon without having to rely on the obligatory sword that the Zelda team insists on.

For example, Warlock Punch could have a weak "tap" version that can stun for followups or reflect projectiles. I'd think that Wizfoot can be revamped to be more like the Star Fox "directional dash" so that he has more variety in movement. Perhaps he could even not use his foot (and move the kick animation to his dash attack instead).

If people want him to not be a Falcon clone in Smash, they should go for that, but they shouldn't bring in something that makes him boring just because it's canonical to him the way FLUDD did to Mario. Maybe it's time to start making crap up again.

My complaint IS with the Zelda team because Ganondorf being just another sword user in a universe of sword users makes him not really stand out that much in his own universe or even the entire fantasy video game genre. They absolutely SHOULD have a puncher Ganondorf as a boss fight in the Zelda series and not keep insisting on making him a boring sword wielder.
Honestly, I'd be super down for a straight up bruiser Ganon that just dashes in and decks Link in the face knocking his shield out of his hand or something like that. And I'm all for making up moves in Smash in service of making characters fun or you know, actually being functional as we wouldn't even have :ultfalcon::ultpit::ultrob: etc. otherwise. That said, I also don't find the use of a sword inherently boring. I don't like that current Ganon just has Cloud and Ike's Smash attacks stapled on, but ideally, a ground up rework of Ganondorf that actually focuses on de-cloning him wouldn't be like that.

If you'll humor me though, I've been sitting on this idea for a looooong time.

Would you be opposed to Ganondorf being a stance change character?

The stance change isn't a new idea in the slightest, but I have a particular way of going about it.

Ganodorf's bruiser moveset is restored with maybe one or two new things here or there, but for the most part he's still got the same specials, he's got the high kick up smash back, etc.

However, he'll start the match with a sword (or without, if you toggle it on the CSS.) Sword Ganon has different moves entirely (and some altered stats like lower speed to balance out the increased range), with the crux here being the side special. For said special, he throws the sword as a projectile a good distance forward where it then gets lodged into the ground standing mostly upright.

Now unarmed, he switches to his old bruiser fighting style. To pick up the sword and switch back, you can either stand next to it and hit A like you would any other item. Or you can grab it while lunging forward with Flame Choke. If you do the latter, he'll perform a revised, armed version of Gerudo Dragon, switching stances while attacking in one maneuver.

This gives both camps their Ganon while giving them the option to either ignore the other or incorporate it into their gameplan. And as a little extra nod, if you choose to start the battle without the sword and want to use it after the fact. His old taunt of pulling out the sword is restored as well, except the sword will now stay out until you either taunt again or throw it with side special.

And yes, this was inspired by the Twilight Princess Darknuts.

1698883234958.png

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
In ToTK, Ganny is actually a weapon master swapping between his katana, a naginata, a kanonbo and a yumi (yes he is a gigantic weaboo).

I would rather Ganny use a trident or the spear if anything. But to answer the question. Ganny uses a sword because Link uses a sword and people want that rival battle.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly, I'd be super down for a straight up bruiser Ganon that just dashes in and decks Link in the face knocking his shield out of his hand or something like that. And I'm all for making up moves in Smash in service of making characters fun or you know, actually being functional as we wouldn't even have :ultfalcon::ultpit::ultrob: etc. otherwise. That said, I also don't find the use of a sword inherently boring. I don't like that current Ganon just has Cloud and Ike's Smash attacks stapled on, but ideally, a ground up rework of Ganondorf that actually focuses on de-cloning him wouldn't be like that.

If you'll humor me though, I've been sitting on this idea for a looooong time.

Would you be opposed to Ganondorf being a stance change character?

The stance change isn't a new idea in the slightest, but I have a particular way of going about it.

Ganodorf's bruiser moveset is restored with maybe one or two new things here or there, but for the most part he's still got the same specials, he's got the high kick up smash back, etc.

However, he'll start the match with a sword (or without, if you toggle it on the CSS.) Sword Ganon has different moves entirely (and some altered stats like lower speed to balance out the increased range), with the crux here being the side special. For said special, he throws the sword as a projectile a good distance forward where it then gets lodged into the ground standing mostly upright.

Now unarmed, he switches to his old bruiser fighting style. To pick up the sword and switch back, you can either stand next to it and hit A like you would any other item. Or you can grab it while lunging forward with Flame Choke. If you do the latter, he'll perform a revised, armed version of Gerudo Dragon, switching stances while attacking in one maneuver.

This gives both camps their Ganon while giving them the option to either ignore the other or incorporate it into their gameplan. And as a little extra nod, if you choose to start the battle without the sword and want to use it after the fact. His old taunt of pulling out the sword is restored as well, except the sword will now stay out until you either taunt again or throw it with side special.

And yes, this was inspired by the Twilight Princess Darknuts.

View attachment 380051
If they do a stance change, it needs to be coherent and two movesets working together instead of one overshadowing another or two movesets haphazardly tacked on together. It's the difference between Pythra (good) and Zelda/Sheik (bad).

Ganondorf with a "draw sword" stance can easily be a band-aid solution given the balance changes needed to still have the brawler style have a point to it. Honestly, I think Ganondorf as he is now could stand to be more of a deceptively fast DK-like heavy, albeit not to the level that Bowser is.

In ToTK, Ganny is actually a weapon master swapping between his katana, a naginata, a kanonbo and a yumi (yes he is a gigantic weaboo).

I would rather Ganny use a trident or the spear if anything. But to answer the question. Ganny uses a sword because Link uses a sword and people want that rival battle.
I appreciate TotK doing a lot to improve the concept of "sword duel with Ganon", but the concept itself is tired and overdone at this point and no amount of improvement can fix that.

Also, I think Ganon needs a "right hand" who can fulfill the proper "rival battle" niche so we can free up Ganon himself for using no weapons; kinda like a Vader and Emperor dynamic. King Bulblin in TP had the makings, now they just need to improve that concept.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Also, I think Ganon needs a "right hand" who can fulfill the proper "rival battle" niche so we can free up Ganon himself for using no weapons; kinda like a Vader and Emperor dynamic. King Bulblin in TP had the makings, now they just need to improve that concept.
I wish we got to fight Twinrova in TotK. They were teased a couple times in the background although I guess it was more of an easter egg than anything.

I think Bowser is the exception and not the norm as far as superheavies go. And he really should not be as fast as he is, I'd rather his speed be swapped for K Rool's. I think Rool and DK are fine just being a vicious crocodile and gorilla, but I'm not sure how I feel about Bowser being just an absolute beast, even though he is my main.

But on the main topic, I hardly saw anyone complain about the final fight, I heard nothing but praise about it. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places - there were some reviews I stopped watching for how nitpicky they got - but on the whole it's a really fun and cinematic battle. If anyone is complaining, it's that it's too easy, not that he uses a sword or anything.

In concept, with how much he matches Link's abilities, I do agree that it feels like a rival fight, but I don't think there's any reason that Ganondorf shouldn't be the one to fill that role. If I have one major complaint with Ganon in TotK, it's that he's not in it enough.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I wish we got to fight Twinrova in TotK. They were teased a couple times in the background although I guess it was more of an easter egg than anything.

I think Bowser is the exception and not the norm as far as superheavies go. And he really should not be as fast as he is, I'd rather his speed be swapped for K Rool's. I think Rool and DK are fine just being a vicious crocodile and gorilla, but I'm not sure how I feel about Bowser being just an absolute beast, even though he is my main.
I preferred Bowser when he was slow admittedly, but I'd be fine with him just going back to his Melee/Brawl animations while keeping his speed.

And there's still the argument that Ganondorf's telegraphably slow, short ranged brawler is not a good moveset design. Maybe he needs Bowser or DK speed more than either Bowser or DK themselves.

But on the main topic, I hardly saw anyone complain about the final fight, I heard nothing but praise about it. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places - there were some reviews I stopped watching for how nitpicky they got - but on the whole it's a really fun and cinematic battle. If anyone is complaining, it's that it's too easy, not that he uses a sword or anything.

In concept, with how much he matches Link's abilities, I do agree that it feels like a rival fight, but I don't think there's any reason that Ganondorf shouldn't be the one to fill that role. If I have one major complaint with Ganon in TotK, it's that he's not in it enough.
Yes, it's a fun and cinematic battle, but we could have that fun and cinematic battle WITHOUT the weapons to make it a more unique and satisfying encounter.

And unfortunately, a lot of Zelda fans are obsessed with the idea of climactic sword duels that they hypocritically don't want that convention to be changed even though they like the idea of conventions being changed.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ganondorf doesn't exactly need speed, if his other weaknesses are covered. Mainly his recovery, approach options or a projectile, and give him more armor on important moves. I believe his TotK design offers some solutions towards this.

Also why he gotta be a swordsman in Zelda? Well, thematics of the Zelda franchise. He had a laser gun in BotW but do we want that version? I prefer TotK by far.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Also why he gotta be a swordsman in Zelda? Well, thematics of the Zelda franchise. He had a laser gun in BotW but do we want that version? I prefer TotK by far.
Seriously though, the Bokoblins and Moblins punch in BotW. IIRC, they and other enemies also do so in WW when disarmed. Ganondorf should have the opportunity to bring in his punching into an actual boss fight.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Seriously though, the Bokoblins and Moblins punch in BotW. IIRC, they and other enemies also do so in WW when disarmed. Ganondorf should have the opportunity to bring in his punching into an actual boss fight.
You bring up disarming regular enemies, and that makes me think of maybe having a boss fight where you and Ganondorf can disarm each other. When Link gets disarmed you have to make due with his other tools/items as you scramble to grab the master sword again. When you disarm Ganondorf though, he just starts swinging as a unique phase of the boss fight and after a little while he'll retrieve his own weapon to loop back to that phase.

And in a game with this scenario, you could have two or three encounters with him at other points before this big showdown. One where he doesn't take an inexperienced Link seriously and fights unarmed and holding back. One where he fights unarmed and adds in some magic. Then a battle where he only fights armed. The last boss being a culmination of the previous encounters.

This adds an interesting dynamic to fighting a swordie Dorf, while also presenting opportunities for him to rely solely on his brute strength. The player has to shift strategies to adapt to his current fighting style.

D

Deleted member

I always thought it was because people liked seeing him doing the swordfighting in that one demo (the one that ultimately became "Wind Waker") and were disappointed that he used magic and punches/kicks. IDK.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You bring up disarming regular enemies, and that makes me think of maybe having a boss fight where you and Ganondorf can disarm each other. When Link gets disarmed you have to make due with his other tools/items as you scramble to grab the master sword again. When you disarm Ganondorf though, he just starts swinging as a unique phase of the boss fight and after a little while he'll retrieve his own weapon to loop back to that phase.

And in a game with this scenario, you could have two or three encounters with him at other points before this big showdown. One where he doesn't take an inexperienced Link seriously and fights unarmed and holding back. One where he fights unarmed and adds in some magic. Then a battle where he only fights armed. The last boss being a culmination of the previous encounters.

This adds an interesting dynamic to fighting a swordie Dorf, while also presenting opportunities for him to rely solely on his brute strength. The player has to shift strategies to adapt to his current fighting style.
It was a big missed opportunity for them to not have Ganondorf fight unarmed in TotK really. I hope they consider implementing that instead of him being a sword user all the time.

I always thought it was because people liked seeing him doing the swordfighting in that one demo (the one that ultimately became "Wind Waker") and were disappointed that he used magic and punches/kicks. IDK.
That was just a demo based on OoT though, and even then Melee still extrapolated his ground punch in that game to be his punching moveset.

Quillion

Smash Hero
So there's this big Reddit thread from a month ago that asks if Ganon(dorf) should have a signature weapon, and I was pleasantly surprised that many said that Ganondorf's fists/arms should be his signature weapon.

Sure, it's still mostly sword and trident regettably, but there's still a crowd for brawling Ganondorf.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I feel from a certain standpoint Ganondorf being THE big bruiser of Smash makes sense, he has the Triforce of Power and people seem to forget that while Ganondorf is calculating, he is also just as known for devolving into a destructive brute as seen by the many MANY times his boss fights end in beast Ganon. So when you put Ganondorf into a fist fight with so many characters, it would make sense for him to tap into this brute strength of his when fighting.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I feel from a certain standpoint Ganondorf being THE big bruiser of Smash makes sense, he has the Triforce of Power and people seem to forget that while Ganondorf is calculating, he is also just as known for devolving into a destructive brute as seen by the many MANY times his boss fights end in beast Ganon. So when you put Ganondorf into a fist fight with so many characters, it would make sense for him to tap into this brute strength of his when fighting.
You know, it wouldn't be a bad idea for Ganondorf to have his animations in Smash look more bestial. It would make him look like a bloodthirsty madman, plus it would give us a suitable (IMO) replacement for Bowser's awesome Melee/Brawl animations.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
You know, it wouldn't be a bad idea for Ganondorf to have his animations in Smash look more bestial. It would make him look like a bloodthirsty madman, plus it would give us a suitable (IMO) replacement for Bowser's awesome Melee/Brawl animations.
I feel like that'd be wholly dependent on which incarnation of Ganondorf you're using. Though I don't really think any existing incarnation fits the image of Dorf you've created for yourself.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel like that'd be wholly dependent on which incarnation of Ganondorf you're using. Though I don't really think any existing incarnation fits the image of Dorf you've created for yourself.
that’s true of this whole thread

Quillion

Smash Hero
that’s true of this whole thread
Hey, it's not like any "existing incarnation" of Ganondorf in his own series has ever done him justice. The Zelda series continuously wastes every good idea they've ever had for the character.

Smash has honestly done more for Ganondorf than anything in Zelda ever has, by virtue of giving him a characterization that informs how he acts and fights (a show-off who tries to humiliate his inferiors by putting in minimal effort).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hey, it's not like any "existing incarnation" of Ganondorf in his own series has ever done him justice. The Zelda series continuously wastes every good idea they've ever had for the character.

Smash has honestly done more for Ganondorf than anything in Zelda ever has, by virtue of giving him a characterization that informs how he acts and fights (a show-off who tries to humiliate his inferiors by putting in minimal effort).
see that's basically what we mean, you think smash should dictate how ganondorf should be. and you also seem to have no respect for the creative decision making that the zelda team have. they're portraying him the way they want to portray him and while you don't have to like it to say the wrong to do it is just naïve and selfish

Also your OP is wrong, he’s been in 4 games with swords if we’re counting oot. And those games portray him as power hungry, cruel, cunning and ruthless. If you can’t see the brutality in his actions and when you fight then I’m afraid you’re seeing what you want to see

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think with the Zelda franchise proper, a great deal of it is often (though not always) wrapped in a lot of the traditional fantasy archetypes that there's an inherent tendency to go for the expected enemies/fights. The ultimate hero with a sword vs the ultimate evil with a sword is a climax/dichotomy fans around the world recognize and its use via Link vs Ganondorf feels likely feels natural to developers and audiences. It's a bit like how Ganon (or even Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf) wields the trident because "devilish figure with a pitchfork" is a visual shorthand that loads of people can immediately recognize.

Not saying that these concepts are inherently good or that they necessarily have to be cornerstones (effectively splitting Ganondorf into a sorcerer, bruiser, and swordsman antagonists is something I wouldn't object to) just that its uphill climb for it to be effectively changed in a cultural landscape that's grown so familiar with it.

Quillion

Smash Hero
...just that its uphill climb for it to be effectively changed in a cultural landscape that's grown so familiar with it.
IDK, it feel like starting in the late 2010s in general, old tropes and genre/series formulas in general have been consistently challenged and played with. And for good reason; playing them straight all the time just gets boring.

Like for example God of War's Norse "reboot". They're not going to keep on with Greek Kratos's weird portrayal of being "badass but negatively affecting the world" deal for the "reboot".

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
So now that Ganondorf has appeared again in TotK, he's once again wielding a sword. Although the trend of Ganondorf wielding a sword had its start in OoT where he transformed into a Ganon with two swords, he has now appeared three times wielding different kinds of swords in 'Dorf form after that. By all accounts, this should be enough to establish that Ganondorf is a sword wielder by default.

So I have to ask: why does he need to be a sword wielder in the first place? When anyone says they want Ganondorf to be a sword wielder in Smash, they always say "because it's more canon". They always gloss over whether it makes Ganondorf more fun to fight or entertaining to look at. It's always "canon", nothing more nothing less.

Frankly, I'm tired of seeing Ganondorf using a sword by obligation in his own series. Smash's portrayal of him stands out way more than other fantasy video game overlords because he focuses his power into giving himself brute strength without the need of any weapons or fancy magic tricks. Yet the Zelda team still insists on shoehorning sword use onto Ganondorf because we always need final sword duel for the proper final boss fight of a Zelda game.

So is there anyone who has a good reason for Ganondorf to be a sword user in the Zelda series itself? Because the people who want Ganondorf to be a brawler actually have better arguments most of the time because they go beyond "it's what he is in his series."
The issue with ganon is that he’s about a character.

man’s ik you said “finally people are releasing reference does not equal good moveset” but that’s not true.

badly done references does not equal a good moveset, well done references can help make a moveset better because it’s more accurate to the characters origin.

and in this case ganondorf in smash is a fan fiction oc.

Quillion

Smash Hero
badly done references does not equal a good moveset, well done references can help make a moveset better because it’s more accurate to the characters origin.
That can only go so far until the character's origin isn't interesting in itself.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Also, you go "Ganondorf with a sword is boring" like it's a fact. It's not.

Top Bottom