• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play your character?

Spyro

Smash Ace
Pikachu is awesome. I always consider Pikachu mid tier. I just can't consider a character low tier when a player (Axe) has placed top 5 at two national tournaments (5th at Apex 2010 and 4th at Pound V) with him.

:phone:

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I play Samus because her execution barrier is low in comparison to most other characters. Also, I like missiles. Also also, I guess Super Metroid was okay.

NNID
dansalvato
In my opinion, Link is the most undeveloped and underrated character in the cast. I strive to someday prove that. :]

odinNJ

Smash Lord
underplayed? he was one of the most famous low tiers. Look at all the famous combo videos like "It takes guts to be amazing" and youll see at least one link clip. Underrated maybe, my friend plays link, hes pretty good but I still ususally win with roy, who i think should at least be top of f tier

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I thought I remembered why I play Peach, but I don't, really. I just like her entire kit. She suits me the most out of any other character (besides Zelda, I suppose, but those two are rather similar), and there isn't nothing quite like using her at the end of the day.

Her float and aerial game were the first things I really got attached to, I think. I used to think her turnips were amazing, too (funny, since I dislike them now).

zZz

Smash Apprentice
I play Doc b/c when I first started playing I came up with the most move nick-names for him. The dunk, defibrillator, break dance special, and the shoryuken! Of course I refer to the dunk as The Kobe now.

Lovage

Smash Hero
fox is ****ing tight and sooooo fun to play!! there's absolutely NOTHING like the feeling you have when you play well with fox, unmatched in any other gaming experience imo. i'm sure other proficient players of other characters will say the same about their own main - melee too good.

dude people get burned out on fox after 5+ years (myself included sometimes) but that doesn't change the fact that he's tight as all hell.

Morin0

Smash Lord
fox is ****ing tight and sooooo fun to play!! there's absolutely NOTHING like the feeling you have when you play well with fox, unmatched in any other gaming experience imo. i'm sure other proficient players of other characters will say the same about their own main - melee too good.

dude people get burned out on fox after 5+ years (myself included sometimes) but that doesn't change the fact that he's tight as all hell.
What do you mean by burned out?

Lovage

Smash Hero
frustrated at the character's consistency and practice requirements, frustrated by other characters having an easier time "playing" the game, frustrated at falco etc.

lots of fox mains delude themselves into thinking their secondary falco is any good and they waste some time pretending they're a falco main but they still go fox in every bracket match at nationals LOL.

Jagoffian

Smash Journeyman
I enjoy the fact that Doc is not an overly technical character, and that some of his moves are downright sexy / satisfying to land, such as bair, fair, or cape'ing a space animal. I've gravitated toward him since I first picked up Melee, so I guess favoritism is also a factor as well.

Griffard

Smash Ace
Fox:What you put in is what you get out. If you are amazing, you will win.
Pikachu: Like the challenge and some of the match ups, plus gimping is cool and I like the combos and kill moves.
Falcon: He's sexy.
Link: Just started Link and really loving his edge guarding game, his recovery, and his combos once he actually gets in.

Stomps

Smash Rookie
Captain Falcon.

When you're on a roll, you feel like absolutely NOTHING can stop you.

And that happens.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Roy and Marths Comboes look
Too nice and gimping from zero is too nice

1234ping4321

Smash Rookie
Who do I use? And why?

Ganondorf (problem? :awesome:). In my eyes, he is one of the most technical melee ranged characters in the given selection in Brawl, alongside Marth. (*sigh* Now before anyone says anything: Tiers are for queers. I frickin' **** with Ganondorf) This is why I use him:

- Friggin' powerhouse
- Requires great precision and technique with some moves (which I have)
- Excellent variety in the move set
- Very technical gameplay

Oneupsalesman

Smash Journeyman
I don't quite have a solid main right now- I played with Falco some, but I'm not good enough to do all of the tech-stuff that I don't quite understand. I still use him, though I've been using Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi and Marth more lately.

I've been working on how I can wavedash into hits to create convenience, when someone will play the game with me, that is.

As for why, Falco was pretty popular and seemed fun. With Dr. Mario and Luigi it's pretty easy to come up with stuff to use and they're not hard to get the hang of. And Marth is a lot of fun; I always enjoy trying to apply strategic use of his Down-B Counter.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
kageeee you know ganon can be technicallll. it's just mostly control stick technicality and not button pressing technicality, in my opinion. and that to me, is a large part of why i play ganon. i'm left handed, and his more technical movements and abilities tend to be more of a control stick kind of thing (wavelands, moonwalks, strongly retreating things, including pivot retreating fairs) rather than a fox/falco kind of button pressing thing. my right hand still isn't nearly as coordinated as my left, so buttons are still weird to me when i play spacies.

also, every time i play against a ganon, and i get touched, my instant reaction is that this character is overpowered/broken. i certainly have a weakness against ganon using any character that isn't him, and as they say: if you can't beat em, join em.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya he could definitely, I've been doing RLDs recently as well but it didn't give me good rewards by doing it in general, i may of landed one hit if im lucky. I think it's better when you start wavelanding on the stage and then DDing a bit or just turn around and do a move it's much more tricky imo and it feels pretty sick when you do things like that.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yeah, i tend to favor ledgehop runoff rising bairs, or even waveland on stage turnaround ftilts. things of that sort are definitely more interesting, and actually leave you with more options, as far as what you're able to see and adjust to, rather than committing to a move.

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf (problem? :awesome:). In my eyes, he is one of the most technical melee ranged characters in the given selection in brawl, alongside Marth. (*sigh* Now before anyone says anything: Tiers are for queers. I frickin' **** with Ganondorf) This is why I use him:

- Friggin' powerhouse
- Requires great precision and technique with some moves (which I have)
- Excellent variety in the move set
- Very technical gameplay
Wutttttttt

:phone:

Top Bottom