• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you, personally, play a high-/top-tier?

Why do you, personally, play a high-tier?

• Play to win; whatever it takes.

Votes: 53 16.1%
  • I play whatever character I like.

Votes: 262 79.4%
  • I like playing low tier characters.

Votes: 15 4.5%

• Total voters

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
I play fox because

you can play aggressive as **** and it's okay if you're not messing up your techs/spacing

falco is the only other character for which that's true, and he feels too slow

fox 24/7 im too impatient to play anyone else

D

Deleted member

i play falcon because i saw isai **** the **** out of ken

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
There is a surprising number of people who play to win... :/
At least the number of people who plays with their favorite characters is too big.

That really makes me happy.
:)

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
I played with high tiers even before i discovered the existance of tiers XD

That said, I used to solely play with characters that I liked back in the games they were featured. Now, while it is a factor, it is no longer The Factor.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
i wanna play yoshi.. and just yoshi. but it like.. id hate to lose to someone that i could have easily beaten with fox.. plus just the combos man.
Before maining Yoshi,I mained Lucas,and I had this same thought.

But now I really know I did really the right thing for me maining him.

You must give him a chance.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I never played with Yoshi in Melee,but I think he is REALLY diferent from the smash 64.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
^^ he never played a melee version of his char. Try him out he's fun :)

`dazrin

Smash Champion
I initially fell in love at first sight with young link the moment I unlocked him in melee 10 years ago. Ever since then, young link was all I played.

Fastforward to me being 14, I decided to get involved with the smash scene in my area, got in contact with some top level melee players, and got absolutely destroyed by them. I realized the glaring difference in skill levels and I got discouraged that I wasn't even close to their level.

As a result, I quit the smash scene for awhile and did my own thing.

Fastforward to 4 years later, I saw the apex 2012 stream and I remembered how fun smash was. I invited a bunch of friends over (who all play casually) and ***** them all. It was so much fun, and I decided to get back into the scene.
I knew that this time around, I was GOING to get *****; it was just a matter of how long it would be until I got good. So I knew that younglink wouldn't be able to stand up to the pressure that space animals would throw on me, so I tried to main marth since he was apparently good against those characters. However, I played him too aggressively and it didn't work out. I found sheik shortly afterwards and I thought I liked what she had to offer. So now I play sheik in melee so I can have a shot at being good, but I still like younglink.. even though i dont play him anymore lol.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol dude

apex 2012 got you back into it eh?

keep in mind that young link won that tournament

NNID
dansalvato
I knew that younglink wouldn't be able to stand up to the pressure that space animals would throw on me, so I tried to main marth since he was apparently good against those characters. However, I played him too aggressively and it didn't work out. I found sheik shortly afterwards and I thought I liked what she had to offer. So now I play sheik in melee so I can have a shot at being good, but I still like younglink.. even though i dont play him anymore lol.
Young Link is awesome, though! Pretty freaking fast and great combo potential with a number of the same gimmicks Link is equipped with. Don't let the tier list boss you around. You can beat just about anyone with just about any character as long as you're the more skilled player.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Because of this topic,it appeared at the smash news a few days ago...

And I haven´t noticed that is the melee boards...

NNID
dansalvato
That's just strictly false lmao
I find it to be quite true for most levels of play. The player who wins is the player who makes fewest mistakes. Just because a low tier is capable of making more frequent and more dangerous mistakes doesn't mean the player will be making them.

D

Deleted member

I find it to be quite true for most levels of play. The player who wins is the player who makes fewest mistakes. Just because a low tier is capable of making more frequent and more dangerous mistakes doesn't mean the player will be making them.
Then you're talking in terms of degree, which reinforces my point. How much better do I have to be to beat Cactuar's Fox with Zelda? I can be the "better player" and still lose quite easily. I'm not sure there's enough skill capacity in the game to make that happen.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
So many people across so many games have had the same ideas and opinions about tiers, and very, very few people have ever been successful with them. But good luck anyway! :awesome:

NNID
dansalvato
Then you're talking in terms of degree, which reinforces my point. How much better do I have to be to beat Cactuar's Fox with Zelda? I can be the "better player" and still lose quite easily. I'm not sure there's enough skill capacity in the game to make that happen.
You're right, and I make an exception for the few crushing matchups that exist in Melee. You probably won't beat Fox with Bowser or Pichu. Considering 30% of all players are space animals, this becomes an imperative matchup that greatly affects the viability of that character. However, I think there are few characters who really stand NO CHANCE in such matchups.

Bing

Smash Master
You're right, and I make an exception for the few crushing matchups that exist in Melee. You probably won't beat Fox with Bowser or Pichu. Considering 30% of all players are space animals, this becomes an imperative matchup that greatly affects the viability of that character. However, I think there are few characters who really stand NO CHANCE in such matchups.

Pretty sure its higher than 30%

And honestly, if so many players using spacies, and your character of choice is pretty incapable of beating spacies, so using your examples, Bowser and Pichu.. then wtf is the point in playing to win. I mean you basically just made characters who are pretty non-viable sound even less viable.

NNID
dansalvato
Pretty sure its higher than 30%

And honestly, if so many players using spacies, and your character of choice is pretty incapable of beating spacies, so using your examples, Bowser and Pichu.. then wtf is the point in playing to win. I mean you basically just made characters who are pretty non-viable sound even less viable.
That was my point, because I agree that some characters are entirely non-viable. However, there are 14 characters used, combined, by less than 10% of players. You can't call all, or even the majority of, those 14 non-viable. A select few of them are, such as the examples I provided. But, I don't think such a low percentage is justified for some of the characters. Young Link is used by fewer than 0.5% of players, even Mario only by less than 1% (probably less, but this is rough data from SSBPD). I don't think those characters' viability is SO low that they deserve such small play.

Luxord

Smash Journeyman
The post speaks the truth.
At a certain point even a fox who's only using fox to let's say about 8/10 capacity can beat Zelda who is utilizing her to 10/10 capacity because that's simply the sheer difference between character. (this excludes TAS SDI because if that was humanly possible on every hit in this game then any character could truly win)

@answering OP I use "top tier" to win. Simple as that, kinda despicable to some I guess but I always liked winning and smash has always been the only game I've had superior skill over others in so I use top tiers to do so.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
People, me included, dont like to admit that some barriers are absolute.

I wouldnt make the statement "i cant be beaten by zelda", but i wouldnt hesitate to say "properly played at top level, fox's dash dance proves zelda's position as a non-viable."

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
...i think once you get into something like multiple 70-30 matchups (like, against the whole top tier) then you have something of an unviable character. i personally think that begins somewhere around link/dk, but as far as popularity goes, some people just like having options, and those characters at or below that line tend to not have options. many of their moves tend to be useless at face value, or situational at best, and from that point on you're stuck fighting better characters. it just doesn't seem fun.

ganon's about as bad a character as i can imagine maining.

Bing

Smash Master
hmm.. the worst character I see myself maining and possibly having success with... Probably like Roy?

With that being said.;..

Im Bing and I'll main whoever that **** I want and succeed with whoever that may be!

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I love how some people refer to d tier as low tier. I guess all the fox mains are like. Wull Mrath suxs and gaynon iznt even viabru.

No hate, just a joke:cool:

D

Deleted member

People, me included, dont like to admit that some barriers are absolute.

I wouldnt make the statement "i cant be beaten by zelda", but i wouldnt hesitate to say "properly played at top level, fox's dash dance proves zelda's position as a non-viable."
you were just the easiest and most recent example. you've made your point on the MU to me well over a year ago as well. i also do not think i am a better player than you are.

Top Bottom