• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why do you main lucas?

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
levitas i never played any of his games either and i want to. what system do they need for me to play them? can i use an emulator?

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Earthbound, Ness' game is on the SNES and can be emulated. Mother 3, Lucas' game is on the GBA and can be emulated as well, however the English patch isn't complete yet. There is a menu patch for it so that the menu items will be in English. I played through it that way using a story translation guide on GameFAQs to understand what was going on. They're both really great games. Anyone who hasn't played them needs to, and anyone that has played them and didn't enjoy them needs to seriously have their brain checked out.

Levitas

the moon
^^^What he said. They're really good. Anyone who's played Earthbound to completion will tell you that it's an amazing game.

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
In both Smash 64 and Melee I was a Link mainer and I thought I was going to be in Brawl as well...however this past weekend, a friend of mine from out of town was back in town on his spring break so we got a chance to play the co-op events and afterwards we played the all star mode together to unlock trophies faster...so after a couple times through we started thinking of different characters whose trophies would look awesome and I thought *hey! I bet Lucas all star trophy will look pretty good*...after playing through one all star mode with Lucas all I could say was...He had me at hello...:chuckle:
Everything just clicked after that and once we started brawling. I just started repeatedly winning with him and I saw how much it pissed my friend off...which is awesome especially since he use to have the upper hand in smash 64 with his Pika against my Link and in Melee his Marth against my Link. Now finally I have the upper hand with Lucas...it just feels like it was meant to be.:laugh:

PaulLuigi

Smash Rookie
Lucas is a great balance of speed, reach and power. Excellent projectiles too.

One of the coolest things about Lucas is that all of his aerials propel him upwards a bit. This is a quality that you can't easily measure the value of, but if you are the kind of player who likes really fluid and highly controlable motion in the air then he's perfect.

Attractive Penguin

Smash Apprentice
Ness was pretty hard for me to get used to in Melee. The lack of an immediate 3rd jump scared me away from using him too much. I vowed towards the release of SSBB to get better at using Ness, but when I saw Lucas I figured that using him would be good practice until I unlocked Ness.
By the time I did unlock Ness, I'd used Lucas so much I didn't feel like switching. And thus, Lucas main.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Ness was pretty hard for me to get used to in Melee. The lack of an immediate 3rd jump scared me away from using him too much. I vowed towards the release of SSBB to get better at using Ness, but when I saw Lucas I figured that using him would be good practice until I unlocked Ness.
By the time I did unlock Ness, I'd used Lucas so much I didn't feel like switching. And thus, Lucas main.
Wait... did you play ANY vs. matches at all? How long did it take you to get Ness?
I'm guessing you got attached to Lucas pretty quickly lol.

EDIT: But there's no shame in that. I got attached quickly too, but I planned to use him all along, anyway.

mzink*

Smash Ace
when i got brawl i was having trouble finding someone i clicked with, my melee main was fox but he is a bit different in brawl. when i finally tried lucas.....pure frickin magic. duno wut it is, his moves are just perfect for me, everything flows. plus i really like him as a character. Lucas rocks all around.

mzink*

Smash Ace
everyone says earthbound is great, Im thinkin I should try it out sometime. I saw some videos online and it looks pretty cool.

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
ok guys all of your answers are great. i swear i read them all 'not crossing my fingers'

sadly i taking a break from smash world forums. the school year is ending soon and my studies are going to be taking all of my time. rest assured though after 2-3 weeks i will be back and ready to help all lucas players.

and for people that don't care i'm leaving, then **** off.

that was a joke if you didn't know. see ya all later

Exovel

Smash Ace
I picked Lucas and he felt so much more natural.
That's my reasoning for putting Lucas in my top couple Brawl characters. He just moves and acts like a character would if I were to make them. So, it's just natural.

Otherwise I *try* and use Sonic because I grew up with him, and Sonic 2 for Genesis is the first game I ever owned, and my favorite to this day.

The only other characters I use are because they:
a) OWN
b) Tick off my friends

Manu

Smash Cadet
Suprisingly enough Lucas felt so good yet so wrong. I love his jab, fair, dair,forwardB, Fsmash and UpSmash but hated his Downsmash and recovery. Turns out those moves rock too and now I'm just digging the whole evil twin (is it evil twin) Claus costume. I plan on playing Mother 3 when its translated and have kept my self spoiler free so I know nothing of the games. Just dig him in smash really.

Exovel

Smash Ace
Same thing, right?
Touche, but in fact they can be different. Characters that own, will own anyone, not just friends. These characters are so good that friends feel justified in loosing, like with Pit.

Ticking my friends off however, is done with characters like Yoshi and Jiggly. No friend wants their Wolf to fall to their buddy's Jiggly. It's so... depressing.

Gzork

Smash Rookie
Because I used to play as Ness a lot in 64 and Melee, but this time for some reason, his moves seemed so awkward while Lucas' seemed... well, natural I guess. If a normal person had psychic powers, they'd have the exact same timing and hit boxes. Except his Bair, that's just showing off.

He loses Ness' amazing aerial attacks, but aside from that I'm not seeing much of a downside.

GofG

Smash Champion
Gzork, that's exactly right. I hadn't thought of phrasing it like that, but that's why I don't play Ness. When I try him, his moves just seem awkward.

shadowfox2769

Smash Rookie
my friend a major ness *** said lucas sucked but i accidently played as him in subspace and discovered how pwnasaurus he is and ness can suck it

Kunato

Smash Apprentice
I don't know. I've always enjoyed playing Ness, although I hated his yo-yo. The first time I played Lucas, he felt like a perfection of Ness; I've always liked slower versions of characters (Falco, Roy, Ganondorf etc.) and therefore began to play Lucas.

...and I'm going to play Mother 3 when the fan translation's done, like everyone else.

Apollo

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can we keep Mother spoilers to a minimum? I played through Mother 3 knowing the plot twist you learn in the last scene, and while it didn't ruin it, I had stumbled across it on the Lucas boards, c'mon guys...

I played Mother 2, loved it, and was happy to be one of the few people in my group of friends who played to know who Ness was in the 64 version. Replayed it a few years ago, and then seeing Lucas sparked a whole new interest in Mother and I decided to go through Mother 3 with a story translation and the menu patch. Definitely want to go through again when the translation thing is done whenever that happens. The story was fantastic, and I was hooked in Chapter 1 when Flint got the "bad news."

Lucas himself in brawl is just a little ball of power, and he feels great. I love the Claus alt - I switch between them from time to time.

dr;tl - Mother 3 is awesome

Levitas, I saw some of the UMB12 vids on youtube - very fun to watch.

Levitas

the moon
Thanks, I appreciate the compliments. I've got better vids that are a bit more recent. They're listed on the video thread stickied here. And a couple more from UMB 13 that somehow aren't uploaded yet.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
i actually haven't played any mother games. i want to, seeing as so many people adore them. i mained Ness in melee and loved him. before i got brawl i thought lucas was a *** and i sided with Ness. now that i have played the game and experienced both, i prefer lucas' playing style. now i feel bad about all the **** i talked about lucas. Ness is my secondary, but i don't like his playing style anymore. now that i have gotten used to Lucas, ness seems so much slower, so different. too different. i can't main both and lucas is my main, so i end up playing Ness a lot less. he has such an unfamiliar feel. oh how i wish lucas wasn't so perfect. then i would have had the same main through the whole SSB series. i main lucas for no personal reason, and i havent played mother. i simply main him because i prefer his play style. and no ness hating!! we lucas mainers got pissed when the ness players talked **** about him (and i believe they still do) but you people talk a lot of **** about ness. NO MORE!!! they are two very different characters and THEY ARE NOT TO BE COMPARED!!!!!!! so no more hating.

:)

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I just love Lucas's A move set. His forward and up tilt are amazing and so is his jab and most of his aerials. Ness's PK Thunder is still way cooler and PK Flash beats PK Freeze any day. But I guess you can't have everything.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
A long story for me.

Back in febuary, I mained Marth and fought with him (awfully) since I didn't care about projectiles and lack therefore of. I had plans to main metaknight for brawl since I viewed him Marth with really good recovery.

When Brawl came out I mained metaknight in a heartbeat and brawled my way to defeating my sibblings. After about a week though.... I started to notice I was spamming my C-stick way to much and noticed none of my hits were still connecting, costing me several games. Since I wanted More accuacy with my C stick and attacks, I decided to try maining wolf, but similar results prevailed. I then tried an absolutely awful idea, to prevent myself from Cstick spamming by B-sticking (It might be a good lucas stratigy, but It's horrible for wolf). Now there I was, alone and without a main. My *** was being handed to me all the time. I needed some charictor, somewere out there to awnser my calls fo help...

Then, all of a sudden, a knight in pyrokinetic armor appeared befire me. A charictor with a fast and spamable projectile, awsome tilts, and powerful Smashes. I mained lucas and my whole world turn upside down. I was winning like mad, I saved my Smashes only for killing, and all my hits were connecting. He guided me through Intense mode of all star and classic, with only one continue on each, and helped me get through all levels of boss battles.

I absolutely PK love him.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I used Ness frequently in 64 and Melee, so when Lucas was first announced on the Dojo I thought he was just a Ness knockoff. And that I'd be pissed if he replaced Ness. (This second point is now moot, for obvious reasons.) And that I'd still stick to Ness, since I saw no reason to switch. After all, how different can two psychic kids be, especially since they're from the same series? </ignorance>

As odd as it sounds, what made Lucas grow on me (before it was released anywhere, mind you) was the pictures of him that started popping up on the Dojo. They had this quality that made me warm up to the idea of maining him, and by the time Brawl was released in Japan, I had made up my mind, partly due to that MASSIVE USmash. <3

So I get Brawl at the midnight release (partly thanks to a VERY generous friend who checked Wal-Mart while I was at GameStop) and we of course play for the majority of the night, and I of course have the obligatory awkward moments trying to control the characters for the first time, but after I got used (again...) to the controls, Lucas felt so natural. I mained Peach in Melee, so I had high standards for aerials, and Lucas delivers in spades. His aerials are all-purpose and work for damage and KO purposes, his tilts are fast, his smashes are deadly, and his projectiles are spammable. He can edgeguard about 10 different ways, doesn't even have to leave the stage for a good number of them, and can recover from just about any non-lethal hit.

I still need to work on practicing his unique ATs (though it's doubtful I'll commit much energy to it unless I start going to tournaments--not likely in the near future), but as it is now, he's still beastly with just bog-standard tilt/aerial mixup with projectile spam, finished with a smash of choice or a spike.

Of course, now that I've started maining Lucas, I'm not likely to stop. That's because I have a shocking ability to snag the Smash Ball from under my friend's nose and activate PK Starstorm just in time to trigger the invincibility and avoid an attack. Cue chorus of swear words from said friend (who mains Ike, btw--he fights for his friends *dodges rotten fruit*). And if I get such a reaction out of him just by using a Final Smash, why would I ever switch? ^_^

Okay, I'll use Ness for a couple of rounds. *is hit by Great Aether*

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
He's pretty ugly, doesn't smile, is always frowning and afraid...
Cool!
Love my emo kids!

Top Bottom