• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why do you main lucas?

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
I haven't seen a thread like put up and i think its about time someone did put this up. My reason for maining lucas is personal believe it or not. My brother had a newborn son and named him lucas about two months before the game came out. I heard that a new character was introduced into the game that reminded me of ness. Now i never liked ness and never tried lucas until recently (seriously like 1 week ago). I fell in love with him and consider him to be my favorite character in the game.

Now i want to hear all of your reasons for maining lucas be it personal or other. I enjoy emotional posts so put them up for the world and me to see.

Hose A

Smash Cadet
Because he is epic. I liked Ness in Melee, but never really got much into him. Lucas is super powerful, has good range, nice attacks. I like the way he moves and how his attacks work. I've always liked playing a character that could stay out of reach from others (hence Wolf, TL, and Zamus as well).

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman

**** yeah, flipkick. I saw this and I had a strong feeling Lucas would be my main, especially since I was a Ness main in SSB/M. I remember when there was a lot of speculation that Ness wouldn't be in, but since Diddy, Lucas, and DDD were announceed, I didn't really care. I thought Diddy would be my main, but I picked Lucas and he felt so much more natural. Also, if it makes a difference, I alt DDD and I don't really play Diddy since I really suck with speedy characters .-.

Kind of funny, cuz Diddy is one of my favorite Nintendo characters.

thegreatoneshifty

Smash Rookie
Before I got the game I told myself the first character I'd play with was Lucas because he was such a little looking child.

When I popped the game in and beat the lvl9 computer I said to myself "Oh, wow. This guy feels like an extension of my fingers."

He feels so natural and moves freely when I play with him. He's great. Oh, and oh god do I love his up-a smash :D

CFaLC

Smash Cadet
His amazing hair! (Purple Shirt too!)

...And because him and I click, in that right from the start I felt really comfortable controlling Lucas.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
I use Lucas because I loved Mother 3. My roommate suggested that I play thru it before brawl comes out. I ended up playing his imported version since the project to translate Mother 3 to english was not done in time for brawl's release. The game was great (even in Japanese), and Lucas handles well. I "hit it off" w/ him when me and a bunch of buddies played on release night.

GenisSage

Smash Cadet
I myself being a Mother fan since 99 i knew that Lucas would be my main character of choice. The feeling that Earthbound gave to me once i played it is unexplainable. When i was a kid i always wanted something cool and exciting to happen to me. It never did but then i turned 18 got a job and money. I was finally able to buy anything i wanted. The first thing i bought was the SNES and Earthbound. It changed me as corny as that might sound but it DID! ever since that first paycheck ive been Mother junkie. Ness and Lucas seem so unthreatening but its a whole different story as we all know. Man i think i went to far with this but yeah Lucas is awesome.

PK Love to all you brawlers.
Later

Iraku

Smash Cadet
Well, I was actually planning to use Pikmin & Olimar, but he's my second choice now. A couple friends of mine were constantly talking about Mother 1 and 2, so I decided to play Mother 2 because I at least recognize Ness. Turns out, Mother 2 is one of the greatest games I've ever played. I wasn't going to play Mother 3 because it is only in Japanese, but I played it anyway, and it is just as good if not better than Mother 2.

I also started to play as Ness in Melee, and frankly, I actually made progress in places where I couldn't with Falco. I practiced and practiced and I liked how good I was doing with a character that I never liked from the start. Then, mere hours from Brawl's release, I won Round 1 of the Gamestop tournament with Lucas, beating a guy dressed as Luigi in the process. I am glad to say that I main Lucas~

SLlacrosse11

Smash Rookie
I main lucas because my friends get really annoyed with me when there fighting each other as sonic and olimar and im just in the corner shooting pk thunders at them. *i also like saying i beat them with a little kid* i also do this with my oher characters, Zelda *u lost to a girl* and toon link * my other friend plays with normal link and he gets really pissed off when i beat him with toon link*

Kidochi

Smash Rookie
It's because Lucas has everything that I want in a character- really good finishing move, spike, quick air attack, down air that can win against a regular upsmash, absorb, reflect, short jump, strong kicks, quick punches, very strong fsmash, PK FIRE!!!, PK Thunder that doesn't cancel most of the time, and PK ice (is that what it's called?) that goes speedy fast and paralyzes the other character.

In another words, Lucas is a quick-game character that can kill a character at less than 20% if maneuvered right.

Wazzle

Smash Rookie
NNID
wazzle
Basically all of the above reasons, and ditto Iraku's 1st paragraph (for the most part). Only problem is I HATE long tether grab thingies (ZSS, Samus, Link, TL, etc.) I like ness a little better cuz im used to him from Melee, but im warming up to lucas.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Basically all of the above reasons, and ditto Iraku's 1st paragraph (for the most part). Only problem is I HATE long tether grab thingies (ZSS, Samus, Link, TL, etc.) I like ness a little better cuz im used to him from Melee, but im warming up to lucas.
I used to hate tether grabs w/ a passion, but they go really well w/ shield grabbing. It's something I didn't do so much in Melee, but now I'm fitting into my fighting w/ Lucas.

Trozz

Smash Ace
I main Lucas, but he's not my best character. Pit is my best character, but I don't really like using him. So, why Lucas?

- He attacks with Hexagons
- U-smash
- I can scare people with Zap Jumping and Magnet Pulling
- D-air to F-smash is a nice approach
- A variety of spells punishes campers
- Disjointed hit boxes and crazy priority

Levitas

the moon
I read the entire translation of Mother 3. I played the first 4 chapters (I'm thinking that's how far I got, it's been a while) while knowing absolutely no Japanese and without using the menu translation patch.

So why do I use lucas?

Because Mother 3 music is absolutely awesome, and the kid's transition to smash bros was really well done. I want to form lucas's playstyle to make him viable in brawl's metagame for as long as brawl has a competitive scene. I want to win with him.

napZzz

Smash Hero
It's because Lucas has everything that I want in a character- really good finishing move, spike, quick air attack, down air that can win against a regular upsmash, absorb, reflect, short jump, strong kicks, quick punches, very strong fsmash, PK FIRE!!!, PK Thunder that doesn't cancel most of the time, and PK ice (is that what it's called?) that goes speedy fast and paralyzes the other character.

In another words, Lucas is a quick-game character that can kill a character at less than 20% if maneuvered right.
Could'nt have said it better myself. Using him right away it felt right, ness has been my main since ssb first came out and it felt like he was nintendos way of saying we;re sorry for nerfing lucas in melee!!!!!. Sides that hes just awesome.

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
I read the entire translation of Mother 3. I played the first 4 chapters (I'm thinking that's how far I got, it's been a while) while knowing absolutely no Japanese and without using the menu translation patch.

So why do I use lucas?

Because Mother 3 music is absolutely awesome, and the kid's transition to smash bros was really well done. I want to form lucas's playstyle to make him viable in brawl's metagame for as long as brawl has a competitive scene. I want to win with him.
wow thats beautiful. great answer

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
Because he's flat out fun to play.

He's a speedy wimpy character who's agile, has a couple of great air attacks and a few wonderful finishers. Plus, he's got an irritating pk fire spacing tool, a great spike, and is small enough that he's difficult for some characters to attack.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
My story of maining Lucas is probably going to be one of the weirder ones. The Gamestop down the street a little way from here was going to have a tournament Sunday morning as a kick off celebration for Brawl, and all night before I had been debating over what character to use. Although I had no plans to win it, mostly because I wouldn't be able to attend the second round of it, I wanted to at least make it past match 1. I had considered Pit and Meta Knight, but I knew everyone would use them, and from Melee I wasn't really familiar with any of the returning (starting) characters. Finally I decided that I would play Lucas.

Playing as him had crossed my mind before anyone else because of one thing, Mother 3. Some of you who wished for The Masked Man (Claus) being in Brawl might remember me from his support thread, so if you do, you know I'm a serious Mother fan. And after even I had wished for Claus to the point of almost severe disappointment when it was confirmed he wouldn't be in, I felt it would be wrong to just shrug Lucas off without even giving him a try. Sure, he might be an exact clone of Ness, but there is the chance that he isn't, and could even be better, right?

So the next day I went and when my round came up, I selected Lucas. My friends advised me against it, but I kept my decision. Even with the Wiimote, it felt right to play as him. I won that round and advanced all the way to the semi-finals (and I would have won if Meta Knight isn't so good at running away :/) And ever since I've played as him. I win most of the matches I play even now against friends both at my house and online.

So yeah. It all boils down to the fact that I main Lucas because I'm a huge Mother fanboy, and for once, being one pays off. And that's why I'm here now. I want to get in on the ground floor of Lucas' advanced techniques and learn how to make him as good as possible, combined with my own unique style of gameplay to create a little monster worthy of showing people that just because he's from Mother doesn't mean he's Ness with blond hair.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
Lucas is just cool. His PK and PSI powers are just flat out awesome. Come on...master sword or psi powers? lol. It kinda just flows. I feel really comfortable playing with him, I don't even feel the controller, I just feel like that I am Lucas just kicking his ***. I also like him cause of his story. So tragic, but he uses his hardships to make stronger, and he becomes a great hero and matures into an adult. Plus, there is nothing more annoying then getting your butt handed to you by a "little looking child" ^.^

LavianOrlandu

Smash Rookie
I chose Lucas on a whim the first night I got Brawl and I've liked him ever since then. He brings variety to my Ike/Marth maining and his attacks have quite a bit of power behind them. I also love how he yells, "PK STARSTORM" for his final smash.

Now I just need to get as good with him as I am with the Fire Emblem boys...

GofG

Smash Champion
I main Lucas because I was a tournament-level Ness in the previous game and I don't like Ness in brawl.

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
His sense of style, obviously.

doesn't he wear like only 1 shirt. i don't know anyone that does that other than....

hold on this is going to bring back memories... it reminds me of doug funnie!

still great answer though. come on guys we still need more and no i'm not just doing this to feed my ego

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
1.) Spam PK Thunder to attack foe
2.) Spam PK Thunder to get smash ball
3.) Spam PK Fire when too close to PK Thunder
4.) Up + A KILLLLSS!!!

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
1.) Spam PK Thunder to attack foe
2.) Spam PK Thunder to get smash ball
3.) Spam PK Fire when too close to PK Thunder
4.) Up + A KILLLLSS!!!

all good points but shouldn't it include a 5th

5.) never spam pk thunder or you'll get punished

and phoenixalpha, i changed my sig because GofG told me the same thing. in my personal unregarded, important opinion i think his hair looks more like the fonz.

Bizzenya

Smash Rookie
Like many other people here, I mained Lucas because I love the Mother series. It really came down to a choice between Ness and Lucas, and Lucas seemed like the better fighter.

hazard99

Smash Cadet
I always wanted to like Ness, I hated his smash attacks, and he was too awkward for my play style.

Lucas fixes both of these problems :)

kidbu916

Smash Cadet
I main Marth and I'm pretty good with him if I say so myself and I went looking for a 2nd main and at first I wanted Lucario, but then all these other people started showing up and I couldn't decide. so when the game came out I just played with everyone including Lucario and the more I played the more I took a liking to Ness and Lucas. So I decided it was one or the other and just played them both consistently until I decided on Lucas. So that was the reason I started maining him. I alsohave heard about his game and Ness's game as well but never got to play them.

Levitas

the moon
Unless you want to learn Japanese, wait for the translation patch to come out for mother 3 before you decide to play it. Earthbound is something you NEED to play right now. I mean immediately.

Top Bottom