• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you choose Yoshi?

auroreon

Smash Ace
With so many people bad mouthing the little green dinosaur and speculating at bottom tier, what is it that attracts you to Yoshi?

Is he just right for your style of play? Do you like proving people wrong? or does he just melt your heart?

Personally I have just always loved Yoshi, he is my favourite games character so I've always chosen him over other characters, I would far rather be an average player with Yoshi, than a great player with anyone else.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
Honestly, I chose him because everyone else didn't.. Now I use noone else but him.. Will probably be my downfall at tourns if people counter char me. lol

Gindler

Smash Champion
I like his playing style (multi hit aerials as opposed to one hit or miss one)

Powerful smashes if landed, not only a high jump but a fast jumper (jiggz, kirby, pit, MK might have the same height but not even close in time it takes)

I also like proving people that he's better than they think.

But the main reason is he melts my heart, I mained him since I was like 8 with SSB64 and in melee before I even knew about this whole him being bottom tier crap.

nuc

Smash Cadet
1 word : fumi.

when i saw those melee vids of that yoshi i was hooked

Boa

Smash Cadet
Yoshi's just a very fun character, and I can't see myself avoiding him because some people I don't know dub him as terrible. :S

YoshiPwnsAll

Smash Rookie
He melts my heart. He is just so adorable. I have used Yoshi every since I got Mario Kart 64 on my 7th birthday. Since then, I have used Yoshi in every Mario-related game (Mario Tennis, Mario Baseball, etc.) I've bought every Yoshi platform game ever. I spent so much time playing Yoshi's Story. I even said in my high school senior year book that my favorite book is Yoshi's Story. For every smash, I must of course use Yoshi. Since I've used him so long, I'm used to his playing style and can't seem to get good with anyone else.

Opfer

Smash Cadet
Yoshi is awesome, he's simply always been my favourite video game character. And using him exclusively in Smash inevitably led to me getting used to his very unique playing style and therefore being unable to play with anyone else (not that I'd want to, anyways ;)).

With Brawl (don't have it yet over here in Europe), the only reason I'd quit playing Yoshi would be if he really wouldn't stand any chance against the other characters. But since I've had no problem with Melee Yoshi (and according to the tier list, it can't get much worse than that), I'm pretty confident that playing Brawl Yoshi will be a blast.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
I used to use Yoshi in 64 for fun, I hated him in Melee, and started to play him in Brawl simply because I like his offensive style and the aerial prowess.

Although now I'm practicing Wolf because I realize that even Yoshi has his limits.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's Island is my favorite game so I've developed a strong liking toward the Yosh. I use him in Mario Party, Mario Kart and Smash whenever possible.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
I chose Yoshi because he seems to be one of the more overlooked characters in all of the Smash games (moreso in Brawl for some good reasons). Sure, he doesn't have the DJC technique IN ALL ASPECTS, but with a new game comes new techniques of using characters (G&W? Samus? kthx). Simply put, knowing how to use Yoshi right could make him decent. The tiers, I believe, will either be more loosely maintained, or they won't exist (which is impossible, seeing that people have a compulsion to put things in order, which in turn satisfies the addictions of the "i want to play the best" players).

Power to the Yoshi, the Luigi of Smash games.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Yoshi's Island is one of my favourite games ever, and the sequal on DS is brilliant. Yoshi Story really fun while it lasted too. Its a real shame they don't make more home console games.

bigman40

Smash Master
Yoshi is my trump card. He's the one character I can use to boost my confidence, plus he's my style. I play alot of Alts, but what can you say, You're best will remain the best. :)

hoonyboy

Smash Rookie
Because I know that beneath that cute, green exterior lies a terrifying dinosaur that can even swallow King DeDeDe in one gulp, chew him up, and spit him out, literally.

Delere

Smash Rookie
Because my random button sucks :(

Seriously, he's my loneliest character :urg:

Wosie the Slothful

Smash Rookie
Light pink, dark purple, brown and black Yoshis <3

...Sadly only light pink Yoshis (out of the colours I prefer with the little fella) are in the game ><
I think the main reason to why I like Yoshi so much is that he's the epitome of cuteness ;D I sound like a stereotypical little girl with pink pigtails now, but he just is! And I guess I like to prove people wrong, them saying he's one of the suckiest characters. I'd say I'm pretty good at brawling, and Yoshi is one of the characters that suits me the best. Some people say the Smash team nerfed Yoshi for Brawl, but I find him even easier to control now.

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
I chose him because he's been my favourite for many years. And also the reason I am going to main him in Brawl, like I did in melee, is because he has even improved which has made me main him again. Even if I lose, the only thing I need to do, is practise and correct those mistake I caused to lose and try again. And plus to them haters that he has been buffed too.

Flax

Smash Rookie
Ws he improved in Brawl?

I mained him since SSB. Local players couldn't beat me. (but online, that'd probably be a different story...) His "smash your face, no special bull" style seemed to fit me. But I'm not too sure what I'm going to do at this point. The yellow rodent has started to grow on me, but I don't seem to be half as good with'em as Yoshi.

Random, but another big reason I always played him in yellow was because my version first RP character was a little electric dino that looked a lot like Yoshi. (And, of course, was yellow.)

Gindler

Smash Champion
His "smash your face, no special bull" style seemed to fit me.
Oh yeah! I love that fighting style I think the only special of his I used in the original was the egg throw, melee egg throw too. Now in brawl I used all his specials since the egg roll is useful and the Neutral B I use as a fast shield cancelling grab (since his grab is so slow). Although his running grab is now the best in the game. and the yoshi bomb (down B) I use to kill when they go up for a high Uair combo (that's the most angering for the opponent). Plus he is fast and his second jump is uberly insane when you kill someone off of the edge.

Plus he's the most underestimated character in the game, and it's always nice winning or losing at a tournament but people can't help but say "You play a mean Yoshi!"

SwordsmanChris

Smash Rookie
For me, it's a bit of a tradition, though his charm factors into it as well. I played him back when there were only 12 characters in Smash 64, and I felt bad that, of all the characters, he was the only one that got two jumps. I thought that he was unique, and I wanted to see if I could be good with him, so I tried him out... and the rest is history. I've used him ever since, for 9 years. He's only gotten better with each rendition of the game, I think. Of course, in the later games, I co-mained him with a Fire Emblem character (Roy or Ike), since I'm a die-hard FE fan, but Yoshi is usually in my top tier.

I don't mind that people don't 'get' Yoshi. I don't like top tier characters anyways, so I guess I will never see eye-to-eye with the Smash community at large.

Ca$hoholic

Smash Journeyman
The Cold north! even though it is pretty hot...
actually its weird, the way i never use yoshi in any of the mario sports game, cause he is verused there xD
but on brawl he was underused.. i didnt start to play him after a long time though...

Plus i guess deep inside me hides the biggest love for yoshi a human can have, that way yoshi island was the first game i actually loved playing. together with some other games like DK country and super mario world.
Off topic facts:
I had a nintendo 64 before i had the SNES, and i traded my 64 to my neighbor for the snes... i must say thats the best choice i ever did.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi is awesome in brawl i have to say and he is a very fun char. to use also its funny because a lot of people underestimate him and then when you start beating them around they don't know what to do because they never expect it

Yoshi truly FTW in brawl

Flax

Smash Rookie
I've been trying out some more characters after falling victim to those tier discussions, but I don't think i can part with this guy. Mained him for the last two games, should do it for the third because... well, he's just plain awesome. No changing that, even -if- he was nerfed as bad as people say. (Which, honestly, he wasn't.)

Only compitiion he has is the yellow rodent. One of'em I'll main.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's a fun character to use. Good aerial game, annoying egg-tactics, and a meteor smash if executed correctly.

Top Bottom