• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why didn't Nintendo use . . .

PEACHYprincess

Smash Apprentice
Why didn't use Nintendo use a good wifi connection like the ones in Mario Strikers or Mario Kart? In those games there is practically no lag and it takes only a few sec. to start a match.

Do you think Nintendo will ever fix With Anyone and the lag? Hopefully because it is ridiculous. I barely go online due to the lag.

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
From what I understand, the online system in Brawl was implemented for a few specific reasons that aren't really problems in the other games.

As I recall (correct me if this has been proven wrong or old info), the lag online is meant as an equalizer between the two (or more) players.

If the lag weren't in place, you'd end up with strange happenings such as phantom hits, or non-hits that seem should have connected to you. For example, when you play a shooter online, lag is what causes players to sometimes die to things that should have logically been just outside their ability to be killed by (getting headshotted after you run behind a wall that would give you definite cover).

The input lag is designed to send the signal for the input of the first player, then receive a signal back from the second player to comfirm that the input was sent correctly, and then execute it on both ends. In short, the input lag is so both players see the same fight.

As for the lag spikes, that's simply so that one of the clients that's going slower is able to catch up for those same checks between clients. If one client doesn't receive a signal back from the other confirming commands, the game will lag until it gets a signal back from the other player, again assuring both players see the same thing at all times.

PEACHYprincess

Smash Apprentice
If the lag weren't in place, you'd end up with strange happenings such as phantom hits, or non-hits that seem should have connected to you.
Really? Wouldn't the match just be smooth as if your playing in the Group mode?

I did hear though, correct me if I'm wrong, that since Brawl has more data require to be sent, thats what causes the problems. Where-as in games like Mario Kart, there isn't as much data required to be transfered and also players can't do as many actions as you can in Brawl (hopefully that made sense).

DAYSH

Smash Cadet
someone explained it to me in a way that made sense, but he used a lot of vocabulary that i was unfamiliar with.

the main point is mario kart and brawl are two diffrent types of games that lag effects differently, and in mario karts case 0 lag.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
From what I understand, the online system in Brawl was implemented for a few specific reasons that aren't really problems in the other games.

As I recall (correct me if this has been proven wrong or old info), the lag online is meant as an equalizer between the two (or more) players.

If the lag weren't in place, you'd end up with strange happenings such as phantom hits, or non-hits that seem should have connected to you. For example, when you play a shooter online, lag is what causes players to sometimes die to things that should have logically been just outside their ability to be killed by (getting headshotted after you run behind a wall that would give you definite cover).

The input lag is designed to send the signal for the input of the first player, then receive a signal back from the second player to comfirm that the input was sent correctly, and then execute it on both ends. In short, the input lag is so both players see the same fight.

As for the lag spikes, that's simply so that one of the clients that's going slower is able to catch up for those same checks between clients. If one client doesn't receive a signal back from the other confirming commands, the game will lag until it gets a signal back from the other player, again assuring both players see the same thing at all times.

If this is seriously how Nintendo is justifying there server problems....well i don’t actually know what to say...i think id rather phantom hits then lag everywhere to be honest... at least those random hits would only be here and there...not all the time and game destroying like this lag is =.=

tj_odee

Smash Rookie
you do have a point peachyprincess, there is alot of lag. For example, I was playing as meta knight online and did a forward smash on R.O.B and it froze. It was lag tho... it was lagging for about 1 minute. it really pisssed me off. I was also playing mario strikers charged online and there was almost NO lag at all. Nintendo delayed brawl for awhile so why didnt they fix the online problem???

Tenki

Smash Hero
If this is seriously how Nintendo is justifying there server problems....well i don’t actually know what to say...i think id rather phantom hits then lag everywhere to be honest... at least those random hits would only be here and there...not all the time and game destroying like this lag is =.=
What? Server?

Here I was thinking that Brawl was peer-to-peer.

@.@

I'd think the only server-related items would be your friend list/settings, but the actual fights are done peer-to-peer.

You know what else would suck though?

Thinking that you hit your opponent, but due to desynching lag, you successfully land a smash in your screen, but your opponent dodged it in his screen. In your screen, you got a kill. In your opponent's screen, he's still alive.

Now your game is screwed up.

@.@ I'd rather have some button input lag than crappy desynching lag.

PEACHYprincess

Smash Apprentice
Thinking that you hit your opponent, but due to desynching lag, you successfully land a smash in your screen, but your opponent dodged it in his screen. In your screen, you got a kill. In your opponent's screen, he's still alive.
I doubt that would ever happen but your right it would suck.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
There IS lag in Mario Kart, you just don't see it.
When there is lag in MK, the game predicts the position of the karts the players you are racing against use. There's not much of a deal because it won't affect the gameplay and you can still hit the with the items (unless there's like HUGE amount of lag).

In games where precision is necessary (fighting games), the game cannot "predict" your movements because it doesn't make sense.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
True. Mario Kart does have lag, sometimes players can be seen appearing and dissappearing from the track rather quickly. (Thats the computer predicting what the Racer is going to do next).

My call is that Nintendo get some Dedicated Servers going.

With all the profit they have made with the Wii, you think they could spare a few thousand ££$$$ here and there?

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
True. Mario Kart does have lag, sometimes players can be seen appearing and dissappearing from the track rather quickly. (Thats the computer predicting what the Racer is going to do next).

My call is that Nintendo get some Dedicated Servers going.

With all the profit they have made with the Wii, you think they could spare a few thousand ££$$$ here and there?
sounds good but summarizing what u said is that nintendo needs bttr servers and a Brawl Channel

PEACHYprincess

Smash Apprentice
A Brawl channel would be amazing!!!! :bee:
Then tournaments wouldn't be so difficult to set up.
It wouldn't be that hard to make ether. Just put it on the Wii Shop Channel when its all done and only Brawl owners could download it.

Its The Jinks

Smash Cadet
A Brawl channel would be amazing!!!! :bee:
Then tournaments wouldn't be so difficult to set up.
It wouldn't be that hard to make ether. Just put it on the Wii Shop Channel when its all done and only Brawl owners could download it.
agreed that will own hardcore

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
What? Server?

Here I was thinking that Brawl was peer-to-peer.

@.@

I'd think the only server-related items would be your friend list/settings, but the actual fights are done peer-to-peer.

You know what else would suck though?

Now your game is screwed up.

@.@ I'd rather have some button input lag than crappy desynching lag.
I'm not an expert but this is the way I understand it...

If it was peer to peer, then you would have to have one of the "peers" being the host (like in halo or something like that). And if that happened, one person (the one not hosting) would lag, but the host would still be perfect. And so, if that scenario would happen, it would just end with whoever was the host getting the correct picture (and the person not hosting getting the same thing, but after lag). There's no real way that you could have one person dodge a hit on their game but get hit on their opponent's game. As a side note, that's why it's possible for someone playing halo to lag everyone else but not themselves, they're the host, and they're disrupting their internet connection. The game still plays, because it is based out of their xbox, but no one else receives the data.

With servers, assuming the servers themselves aren't lagging (which is very possible), you just have the server slowing both of you down so that you both receive the same picture at the same time. Basically, you both are experiencing the lag that only the non host person would receive.

I hope that made coherent sense.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I am kind of mad because Nintendo rushed a game that is epic now and if was furthur delayed (omg third times the charm?!) to fix all the junk that is in it now, Some people could be set for their gaming lives.

Mike87

Smash Ace

Where did you hear this?

oze6000

Smash Apprentice
ISPs are probably the same. I have heard several times that distance doesn't matter so much as other factors like that.

And lame, i've challenged him a couple of times and got rejected. =(

finalark

SNORLAX
Nintendo could easily patch the game and fix the lag but... I guess the reason why they won't is some ridiculous reason like "Sony and Microsoft are doing patches, but they're not family friendly!" Then again... this sums up my thoughts on Nintendo's online play.

Sonic527

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna guess if Europe has the same problems as the rest of us then they will probobly fix the lag problem. They might have even fixed the lag problem in the Europeon version and just might make a patch once its out... but I doubt it T.T

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
There IS lag in Mario Kart, you just don't see it.
When there is lag in MK, the game predicts the position of the karts the players you are racing against use. There's not much of a deal because it won't affect the gameplay and you can still hit the with the items (unless there's like HUGE amount of lag).

In games where precision is necessary (fighting games), the game cannot "predict" your movements because it doesn't make sense.
yeah characters seem to appear and dissapear a bit, but I'm just glad it "looks" like theres no lag

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to add, I'm at someone else's house right now, and have perfectly lag-less internet. Which makes me think that it has more to do with your internet access than nintendo.

Chuey

Smash Rookie
sounds like common sense if you ask me :)

This makes perfect sense to me. Basically it allows people with slower ineternet connections to fight people with VERY fast internet connections on equal terms. If you were running on slow broadband, how would you like it if Sonic was just jumping up and down ****** you? This can't happen because of the lag that's in place. I just with that Game companies had the balls to make announcement containing possible faults for their games.

Top Bottom