• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why didn't anyone say "Z" stood for "Short Hop"?

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, in the past, I've had a hard time pulling these off. Maybe I'm just a noob, but... The X button works OK, but you really have to take your thumb off the A button to 'flick' the button and get the desired hop. The Y button works even better, but you still have to get your thumb at a wierd angle to pull it off...

But by far the best for me is the Z button. You can have fingers on that and the A button at the same time, making it much eaiser, for me at least, to pull off a short hop. Even with backward DI on it, it's simple now.

I seriously recomend using it. Which do you prefer? :p

Crow!

Smash Lord
I use the right button on the wiimote for jump and down for attack, and I just keep my thumb halfway between the two so that I never have to take my thumb off of either button. Short hopped aerials are just one of the things that this makes easier.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I used Y, which makes more sense to me than X. It's closer to the B button, and I can use jump and hit A at the same time for attacks. But that's just convenient coincidence, it just feels comfortable.

Doval

Smash Lord
Y. I wouldn't change my control scheme over something so trivial (especially since the Z button does things that L or R+A can't easily replicate, such as grabbing items in mid-air without doing an air dodge, or charging C-sticked smashes.) People who have trouble short-hopping with X and Y should just practice more and try harder; it's not that hard to do, so enough practice will make perfect in this case.

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
Technically, Y is better than X. Closer to the B. My finger is always touching Y and A. Slides slightly to touch B when needed.

Since they touch it, Z isn't better, but if thats what you need then go for it, still, I don't understand how can anyone have problem short hoping using Y.

Looper

Smash Journeyman
i tilt jumped in 64, x in melee, and classic controller x/y for brawl

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
Y button here...

yknow, i hear all the heavy duty fox and falco players use X, just so they do that sliding controller motion for the waveshine (melee of course). I don't know why but i have a much easier time to waveshine with Y than X, but i can't land it everytime.

Maybe X is better for that? Or i just need more tech skill.

Doval

Smash Lord
NoVaLombardia said:
Y button here...

yknow, i hear all the heavy duty fox and falco players use X, just so they do that sliding controller motion for the waveshine (melee of course). I don't know why but i have a much easier time to waveshine with Y than X, but i can't land it everytime.

Maybe X is better for that? Or i just need more tech skill.
Actually, I was what you might consider a heavy-duty Fox player in Melee, and I wavedashed and waveshined almost exclusively with Y. I was pretty consistent (though I did mess up backwards waveshines sometimes, but that doesn't have much to do with the short-hop itself.) I find it a lot more comfortable, so I don't think it's just you.

supercake

Smash Apprentice
Ive recently changed to L for shorthop. It takes some getting use to but theirs no real tactical disadvantage to it. You still use R for shield. Ive found that my right thumb is a LOT less tired when it just has to worry about specials and not specials AND the jump.

Bud

Smash Journeyman
my friend uses L trigger, try it out, the spring makes short hopping the easiest and you dont have to hold the controller claw style. For me x is the only way, but I suggest L if your having trouble, z is just too good of a grab.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I use Y for jumping and X for grabbing, but I suppose I could reverse that combo if I cared to.

Z for jumping though...?

Eternal Neo

Smash Apprentice
I use Y just like in melee. I actually realized i never use X for jumping so I switched it to grab and can now not only grab faster than before but it also makes it easier to short hop-air dodge too. I use Z to shield as it's much faster and more precise than using the analog shoulder buttons. It really all does come down to personal preference though.

Jiggernaut

Smash Rookie
A=Jump
B=Attack
Y=Special
X=Jump
ZR=Grab
R=Shield
ZL=Special
L=Attack

Mind you i'm using the classic controller =/

iamthelifeonmars

Smash Cadet
x the majority of the time. i use y on occasion just because it makes it more comfortable for me to zair or c-stick a uair

Magical Samurai

Smash Cadet
I use Y to short hop, and jump, and I sometimes set Z to jump when I want to Zap Jump with lucas, just for the fun of it.
X is my new grab button, works much better in the general situation for me.

-Magical Samurai

DethSmasher

Smash Cadet
i use up for normal jumping but when i short hop i do y then a, i also have x set to grab for stationarty grabs and for IC chainthrows

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
I've been using the Y button due to my intial impressions on 64. I used the top C button in order to jump, and it's become a habit since those days for me to use the highest button on the face of the controller to jump (Y on GC controller, X on CC controller, etc.). I guess it's acquired preference.

Top Bottom