• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did you choose your main(s)?

Why did you choose your main(s)?

• Total voters

A Rogue Cop

Smash Cadet
I figured I'd make a quick poll on the subject because it's interesting to me. Personally, my two main mains, Dedede and Wario, are both characters that I enjoy from their source materials, namely the Kirby games and Warioland/ware. A couple of other characters that I use, like Dr. Mario, are purely because I like their playstyles, as I've never even played a Dr. Mario game.

What about you? You can pick multiple reasons if you want.

Akira213

Smash Cadet
I've played every single FE game and unless Ephraim, Sigurd or Anna are added I don't see myself maining another character. And I would approximate the likelihood of any of those characters being added to be arbitrarily close to zero, so I will likely continue to play Marth for years to come.

T4ylor

Smash Journeyman
Vex inspired me to main Dedede before Sm4sh's release, it was his match vs. Larry that did it.

In Brawl, I decided on Meta Knight when he was announced because he was so cool in the Kirby franchise. I then co-mained Ice Climbers because I found some really stylish chain grab kills and wanted to show off with them.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Love Punch Out, love Little mac. Love DKC, love DK.
As for Bowser, its a funny story. Me and my grandparents when shopping and I decided to check out the electronics section. While I was looking at the display, I saw the Gamecube and Melee. On the TV, I saw Bowser, and I immediately wanted this awesome new game and console. At the time, to me at least, Bowser was one of the coolest characters out there. I always picked him in Mario Kart and Tennis. And since then, I have been picking Bowser in Smash.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Kid Icarus: Uprising is my all-time favourite game, and I love the dynamic between Pit and Palutena in the narrative. Palutena thus became my most-wanted newcomer for Smash 4, and I knew when she was released that I'd play both of them.

Every character I play, I play because I like the character. Their playstyle does have an impact, of course, though I'm used to playing defensive / zoner characters and most of my subs happen to fit that archetype.

XL_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-5463-6168
Fire Emblem and Metroid are two of my all-time favorite series. I played Marth in melee, discovered Fire Emblem, then more or less just stuck with sword characters since I have a thing for disjointed hitboxes.

AgentHX

Smash Cadet
NNID
HotShotHunter
Pokemon and Sonic are easily my favorite game series and have been since my childhood. Mewtwo and Greninja also happen to be some of my favorite Pokemon. I usually pick Rosalina in any Mario game that has her in it, and I love her unique mechanics in Smash. As for their playstyles, I'll play however I have to in order to make my favorite characters work. Sonic and Greninja are my quick rushdown fighters, while Mewtwo and Rosalina are my more reactionary fighters. I love them all.

Roys0urBoy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spaghettios
3DS FC
4098-4533-7361
I stuck with Roy in melee, due to me being younger and thinking a sword + fire combo to be awesome, but then i ended up liking him better than Marth when it came to actually playing. I ended up picking Lucas up in brawl because i just finished mother 3 and thought he wasn't mained that much. When Roy and Lucas were coming back, i knew i had to get them day 1 and go back to the old guys, Sorry Wario.

CrabLeg

Brown Boy Wonder
NNID
Maheen76220
3DS FC
4854-6626-0552
I main Falcon because I like playing aggressively. Once I tried to pick up Shiek because of her placement on tier lists. I then switched back because I just wasn't having as much fun playing her. So basically, I choose my character(s) based on how they suit my play style and whether or not I enjoy playing as them.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
:4dedede::4luigi::4megaman::rosalina::4yoshi::4metaknight::4sheik::4zelda::4roy: are the characters I have the most emotional attachment to

I enjoy defensively-paced characters with good range which primarily narrows it down to :4dedede::rosalina::4megaman:

:4megaman: doesn't suit me well, I mained :4dedede: for awhile but couldn't really deal with his flaws (1.0.4 didn't help, and I also don't usually play heavies), which just leaves :rosalina:

I'd mainly say I pick based on liking the character and their playstyle; "top of the tier list" isn't important to me, but if the character has many/common terrible MUs it will likely put me off from playing them, so I do look for competitive viability to some extent.

I've been giving some consideration to picking up Wario though, despite not caring for the character at all.

Soup's On!

Smash Cadet
I watched PuffStuff, my mind was blown that what I thought was the gimmicky joke character that was terrible actually looked really good, so I picked up Jiggs. She clicked with me, and the rest is history.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
:4sonic:: I always loved Sonic ever since I was a kid.
:4pit:: I used him in Brawl, so I decided to use him here, too.

They didn't fit my playstyle at first, but now I feel better using them.

Thecombosetups

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ComboSetup
3DS FC
3540-1655-8773
:4sonic: fan of his games and the franchise
:4pikachu: first main from the beinning of the seris
Every other main is because i like them or their play style

PersonPlayz

Smash Rookie
For me it was going through all of them and finding characters I played well as. Before DLC it was:4greninja::4littlemac::4marth::4myfriends::4bowser:. But Ike and Marth were because I played them in Brawl/PM. Also, set aside Lucas, I hate floaty characters. I'm a competitive player, and Since Ike and Marth aren't that great in Sm4sh, and I only like bowser in 3Ds, I chose :4littlemac::4greninja::4ryu::4feroy::4lucas:. Lucas is there because he is my main in PM, Roy is there because he almost perfectly fits my play-style, Ryu is there because he is fast but also powerful, greninja because of his speed and counter/ spike, and Mac because of his insane power.

DKMJunior

Smash Cadet
Wolf was my main in Brawl because of his mechanics. He was powerful, had a slow cool-down period, a reflector, and a great blaster. In WiiU I have found myself enjoying Ness, Rosalina, and Falcon for their game play, while I love Roy for both his appearance and controls. I think Nintendo did an incredible job with Roy as an all-around solid player.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Because I'm a bad player who couldn't accept being able to kill while taunting isn't what makes characters top tier

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
I picked Jigglypuff not because of the series. She is one of, if not my least favorite Pokémon out of them all, but something in smash made me like her. She just seemed unique because of her special moves, and I liked her floaty-ness. This was before I was a competitive player btw.

Robopuppyz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZacharyCA
3DS FC
3566-1663-4299
  • :4dedede:I main dedede because I loved him in the kirby series, as well as his safe move set like his forward tilt that's great at poking at a distance.
  • :4rob: I secondary ROB Because I love his projectiles and his kill power. ROBs playstyle really fits me.

Last edited:

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
Sonic and Mewtwo are my favorite characters in the game to play as. And they are my favorite characters from their series'. (Sonic Advance was my first video game too.)

NNID
Redwalker
3DS FC
2423-3213-8820
I picked up Ike from Brawl and just loved how monstously powerful he felt when he smashed his enemies to dust. Short strings racked up damage so quickly. His being considered low-tier made it a personal challenge to master. On his transition to Smash 4, I loved him even more!

Shog

Smash Ace
I tried out every character first, liked Samus, Mario, Mega Man and Charizard(actually all Pokemon)
Played some more on the 3DS
Stayed on Samus and Charizard
Wii U came out
Dropped Samus(sorry, GIMME Metroid 5 !!) got Meta-Knight
=> Charizard stayed, used him more often => MAIN (also huge Pokemon Freak)

A Rogue Cop

Smash Cadet
I wonder how many people haven't actually admitted to looking at tier lists for their choice. Didn't either m2k or zer0 say when asked about their mains consistently being the top tier character that the character just so happened to fit their playstyle? Maybe other people are using the same excuse.

I'm not trying to hate on people who go for viability, it just feels like the poll's results are a bit too skewed away from them.

Robopuppyz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZacharyCA
3DS FC
3566-1663-4299
  • :4dedede:I main dedede because I loved him in the kirby series, as well as his safe move set like his forward tilt that's great at poking at a distance.
  • :4rob: I secondary ROB Because I love his projectiles and his kill power. ROBs playstyle really fits me.
I wonder how many people haven't actually admitted to looking at tier lists for their choice. Didn't either m2k or zer0 say when asked about their mains consistently being the top tier character that the character just so happened to fit their playstyle? Maybe other people are using the same excuse.

I'm not trying to hate on people who go for viability, it just feels like the poll's results are a bit too skewed away from them.
Well ok i'll be honest I also picked ROB for being in B rank in the japanesse tier list. I also gave Yoshi and Rosalina a shot for being very high tier, but I get better results with ROB and dedede.

Robopuppyz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZacharyCA
3DS FC
3566-1663-4299
I'm the opposite. I pick low tiers so I won't have to share mains with anybody.
You know a great thing about having low tier mains is that it might confuse people who only main high tiers, thus giving an unusual upper hand at doing mind games.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Hahah...I loved Meta Knight in Brawl, as did everyone, but it seems that Nintendo dramatically diminished him in Smash4. What do you think?
Meta Knight isn't borderline broken like his Brawl incarnation.. But he's far better than most people think he is. He's basically a high tier character with a bottom tier neutral game but an S tier punish game. I played him in Brawl and I greatly prefer the Smash 4 version. Very precise, technical and demanding. He's balanced and I love the result of it.

I also apparently have some natural preference for Dreamland characters. Before I mained MK I'm Brawl, I was an established Dedede main.

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
I played a lot of the first two Pikmin games back in my adolescent years, and spaceman is just an odd character in terms of gameplay and design concept compared to other characters in Brawl/Smash 4 that made me interested in playing him.

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
:4robinm: I really like his playstyle and he is my favorite character in Awakening.

:4feroy: I mained him in Melee and I like how he plays in Smash 4.

:4link: Fan of the Legend of Zelda series and his playstyle fits me perfectly.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661

Yeah. I'm new, and went to one tournament. Everyone had either a falcon, Mario, yoshi, fox, or sheik... There weren't many that played other characters. I'm not trying to hate but seriously!? :/

PCHU

Smash Lord
I main Dedede because he just feels fun to play, and he reminds me a bit of Tager with his gimmicky play.
I main Charizard because he's Charizard

Robopuppyz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZacharyCA
3DS FC
3566-1663-4299
Yeah. I'm new, and went to one tournament. Everyone had either a falcon, Mario, yoshi, fox, or sheik... There weren't many that played other characters. I'm not trying to hate but seriously!? :/
I agree completely, the same thing happened to me at my first smash 4 tournament, I won't judge if it's there playstyles, but I wish there where more variety instead of Falcon dittos.

Top Bottom