• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Banning Tripping Should be Considered at Most National/Regional Brawl Tournaments

sunshade

Smash Ace
Hacking the game = It's not the same game, how's that not philosophical?

Granted, the reason for this is practical, for a viable competitive scene, a universally accepted standard needs to be held, and using the shelf version makes the scene far more accessible to new players, as well as making it less subject to the whims of an unpredictable community.
Turning off tripping would not make the game any less accessible to newer players. You could honestly not tell them that tripping was turned off and they would never notice.

The issue with hacking is that it is illegal and that it allows all sorts of new ways to cheat such as making attacks 1 or 2 frames faster or increasing the unstaled damage by 1%.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I game is made of it's elements, but and removing this one element drastically alters a number of match-ups (Specifically everyone against ICs) and changes the effectiveness of ground game across the entire metagame.

If it effects gameplay, it's a different game. Maybe only slightly different, but still different.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Why is changing the game so wrong?

We banned stages which allow circle stall, thats a change making this a different game. If you don't like circle stall than to bad its part of the game and changing it is bad.

A game is made of it's elements, and removing Circle stall drastically alters a number of match-ups (Specifically everyone against Sonic) and changes the effectiveness of Runaway tactics across the entire metagame.

If it effects gameplay, it's a different game. Maybe only slightly different, but still different.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Turning off tripping would not make the game any less accessible to newer players. You could honestly not tell them that tripping was turned off and they would never notice.

The issue with hacking is that it is illegal and that it allows all sorts of new ways to cheat such as making attacks 1 or 2 frames faster or increasing the unstaled damage by 1%.

People attempting to practice and prepare, yes. In order to be able to even practice properly (and practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect) you need to play the competitive standard. Even slight differences lopside your training.

It also forces a substantial commitment before you can even join, not so much in terms of difficulty but willingness to hack your wii is a major step whether or not it should be and it requires certain resources.

Why is changing the game so wrong?

We banned stages which allow circle stall, thats a change making this a different game. If you don't like circle stall than to bad its part of the game and changing it is bad.
Again, this goes back to competative philosophy, it's not bad, it's just absolute last resort. Soft changes (eg. rules that are not mere competitive standards) are when tactic/characters/situations are overcentralizing for one reason or another.

Hard changes are for completely abandoning the metagame or forming a parallel one, a philosophical position born of the practicalities of making a game uniform for competitive play if hacking is acceptable.

Want an easy example of why this is the case? How often do tournaments use the SBR stagelist? If hacking is standard, everyone will have their own codeset, and there will be no standard "Brawl" period.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
interesting read...but where do you draw the line if you allow this? i mean, it's in the interest of making a better game, why not change the stages and characters as well?

you'd might as well just play balanced brawl.

sunshade

Smash Ace
People attempting to practice and prepare, yes. In order to be able to even practice properly (and practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect) you need to play the competitive standard. Even slight differences lopside your training.

It also forces a substantial commitment before you can even join, not so much in terms of difficulty but willingness to hack your wii is a major step whether or not it should be and it requires certain resources.
Brawl and Brawl without tripping are so similar that practicing in one will not cause you to develop improper technique or skills in the other. I really don't see this as an entry block to new players. They will simply ignore it and learn the basics and know that once they go to a tournament they simply don't need to worry about tripping. Chances are that a new player will not even be aware of the fact that a tournament has removed tripping and would simply think they are playing brawl and nobody tripped which is not exactly a rare occurrence.

That is not to say I am in support of banning tripping at tournaments I just see no reason why we would keep tripping should it possible for everyone to legally turn it off without any more work than toggling time into stock.

Again, this goes back to competative philosophy, it's not bad, it's just absolute last resort. Soft changes (eg. rules that are not mere competitive standards) are when tactic/characters/situations are overcentralizing for one reason or another.

Hard changes are for completely abandoning the metagame or forming a parallel one, a philosophical position born of the practicalities of making a game uniform for competitive play if hacking is acceptable.

Want an easy example of why this is the case? How often do tournaments use the SBR stagelist? If hacking is standard, everyone will have their own codeset, and there will be no standard "Brawl" period.
We have the same opinion I just feel that you are presenting game alterations is a negative light which is giving readers a skewed understanding of your points.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Hacking the game = It's not the same game, how's that not philosophical?

Granted, the reason for this is practical, for a viable competitive scene, a universally accepted standard needs to be held, and using the shelf version makes the scene far more accessible to new players, as well as making it less subject to the whims of an unpredictable community.
exactly... and that is something i can understand. for practical purposes...
Not for being competitive.
if not for practical purposes then i would say that removing tripping would increase competiveness

sunshade

Smash Ace
interesting read...but where do you draw the line if you allow this? i mean, it's in the interest of making a better game, why not change the stages and characters as well?

you'd might as well just play balanced brawl.
Brawl and Balanced brawl are entirely different games. If I play Metaknight and I practice hard on the Metaknight vs. Ganondorf match up in Brawl then go play the match up with the balanced brawl changes I will have an entirely different match-up on my hands.

Brawl and Brawl without tripping are identical only Brawl without tripping would not give a player a completely random advantage because his opponent dashed which is a fundamental, effectively unavoidable, part of how the game is played.

We don't have to go choose between changing everything and changing nothing, we can use our discretion to make alterations to the game that will not change how it is played but add to the competitive integrity of the game. We simply don't in the case of tripping because it is illegal and opens up unsafe doors unlike choosing not to play a stage..

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Adumbrodeus, I believe you cling onto principles a bit too often. Brawl without tripping does not equal a different game entirely. Players practice, I'd imagine, with the intent of applying their strategy successfully or forcing their opponent into a tight spot with whatever it is they learn and apply. Tripping plays no role in the process other than to grant the opposition either a free momentary advantage or a free chance to escape from the attacker's established momentum. Honestly...what significance do principles serve in this debate? It's a rather clear cut view of "what could be" without tripping to interfere during gameplay.

I honestly don't know why people continue to argue against this. I'm becoming convinced that most individuals in the Brawl Tactical discussion argue just for the sake of the activity lately.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I have a question for all of these purists. Do you believe when someone is timed out that they should have to play super sudden death with random bombs to determine the victor? There is no other way to play out a time out besides this unless you just ignore it and say the person with the most stocks and least amount of damage wins. The game says that the victor is determined by who can win the super sudden death match.

I haven't heard 1 purist complain about our current time out rules

theunabletable

Smash Lord
^That's not my problem with removing tripping. If we're removing tripping, why stop at tripping? Why not balance the game? And if we're doing it for the sole purpose of removing random things, why don't we get rid of Luigi's Misfire, or remove the variety in Peach's turnips?

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
I can understand where you're coming from, but it doesnt really apply to this; practicing with or without tripping shouldn't effect you because it's randomn and you don't know when it'll happen.

Can you expand on your comment a little bit? I may not have fully understood what you meant but this.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Sakurai woke up one morning and looked at melee. He didn't like it, it became too competitive. Seeing abused mechanics never intentioned and characters running in circles constantly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnllmxVBs6E&feature=related "Is this the game I created?" he says to himself. He is pissed.

Compare what you think he actually liked in this video and why he changed it for everyone to play.

Tripping might not be the solution to every dash but you can clearly see he doesn't want Brawl turn back in to this. If he wakes up again and notice top players are using a hack to repeat what he sewed, I'm sure he will freak.

Tripping by far, if you didn't realize, changed the way we think. We have better improved mind games. Another less way to make this game anymore defensive.

I dearly hate tripping, and the consequences are **** awful. But it will have to stay, and we will have to continue to find a way to dance around it.

Btw, the Nintendo IP states its self and shouldn't be sold, modified, and etc. Much like a business logo.
Its not too vague or gamesharks and other programs will violate it clearly. Just don't take their property and MODIFY ITS NAME, and sell it as your own creation.

Texture hacks has been used in tournaments worldwide.

Conti

Smash Ace
Since my post got ignored again... let's try this again... here's a possible solution...

Quick note cuz I saw it mentiond we don't need balanced brawl.... brawls physics itself is already known to everyone and to change movesets would alter the game.... this is just removing an aspect of the game despised by many and adding better features to make a tournament more enjoyable...

AN OFFICIAL TOURNAMENT CODEST USED BY T.O.'s

Anyways I know this would take a good amount of communication between a T.O. and people but what if he had a laptop with like an official hacked codeset for all tournaments... that the T.O. set's up... like someone posted earlier this could fix some of the minor bugs with other char's and it wud reduce the chance of someone using a cheating codeset [such as mk less damage]... (and have a folder for every1's codeset's temporarily until the tournament is over in case they have some codes they want to keep)...

Like the tournament codeset would include
-SD Replacement [txtures n ect]
-No tripping
-infinite replays
-Auto set with tournaments ruleset [3stock 7-8mins, team attack ect.]
-whatever else....

THIS COULD WORK....

Edit: if people are scared that its illegal... then remove the SD txture hack code and just use the other codes just incase u feel safer in that sense... like mlg in example I don't think would be fond of texture hacks... so if you load the codes thru the way people mentioned with the glitch fix's and no tripping and ect... I think it wud workout and noone would notice or complain haha

Support if you like this idea
A Tournament Codeset
[/QUOTE]

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
^That's not my problem with removing tripping. If we're removing tripping, why stop at tripping? Why not balance the game? And if we're doing it for the sole purpose of removing random things, why don't we get rid of Luigi's Misfire, or remove the variety in Peach's turnips?
its been explained in better detail earlier in the thread.
in order for the judgement to happen and the misfire they have to be initiated. if the player hadnt initiated it then it wouldnt have happened. they arent alike.
for all intents and purposes the thread should be done. the only reason why this is even a issue is because tripping hurts competitveness. practical reasons are the only thing protecting this from being fully implemented.

Also to reiterate my inital point.
Tripping is ********. having it in the game doesnt make you better or more skilled. anyone that says different needs to locked in a patted room with happy gas.

/thread

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
oh lord, just about everybody hates it, and even though it is so easy to fix, people don't want to because it will "lead to more changes" or somehow "destroy current gameplay." Seriously, it may be little, but we'd all be happier if it didn't exist, no? and we have the ability to end it. but people are acting as if it will open a warp to hell.
and the whole "why stop there?" maybe it will want people to make the game more balanced. but what's wrong with that? I mean, you look at the developing balanced brawl. already, it's more balanced than vbrawl, and potentially a better game. the problem? people are stuck in their ways and have no initiative to improve something when it's easy to do and can lead to an all around better game.
and if it didn't lead to that, wouldn't it at least make the game a little bit more playable? the game isn't going to implode on itself, but it will be that much better.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I support Conti
Balance the game? That would be a completely different game then, people would have practiced on the standard Brawl.

If it's quick and easy, there really isn't a reason why tripping shouldn't be removed, apart from legal reasons.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Example:

Let's just say an Olimar and Falco player are playing a tournament match. For every minute they play the Falco player dashes 5 times and the olimar dashes 20 times. The match lasts for 4 minutes. That means the Falco player dashed 20 times and the Olimar player dashed 80 times. This means that during this match the Olimar player was 4X more likely to trip then the Falco player! That is not equal.
Point of order, Olimar would not have been 4X more likely to trip than Falco. Olimar is equally as likely to trip as Falco. The only thing you can say is that, on average, Olimars in such a situation will trip four times as often as Falco. Even then, that's on average.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
What exactly do you mean by "most of this stuff". The game itself is not being distributed, no profit is being made off the code and besides, Nintendo has no copyright on the "no tripping code". I know that isn't what you meant but using an SD card based hack that does not require a new installed channel or any hardware modification, is so tenuous a case for copyright infringement that I cannot see Nintendo taking any legal action.

"Looks at the section of smashboards devoted to modding the game"

Hasn't come down yet has it? Smashboards is owned by MLG right. I know there's a gag rule in effect about hacking the wii via modchips or homebrewing, but that has not extended to censorship of codes. You can find the no tripping code on this very website.

I think the issue is worth looking into more than just tossing the idea on account of nebulous and unspecified legal issues.
Fact is: If my location would find out I'm officially using a hacked game, I would get the boot. They don't know much, if anything, about hacking video games, and just the slightest curve into "illegal" will shut off the location for me. Every landlord of a location doesn't want illegal or even borderline stuff happening in their building.

You can say "omg it's not illegal blah blah" as much as you want, but it won't help. If a gameplay hack becomes the universally used ruleset, not only do the TOs run into the risk of losing their location (and believe me, MANY landlords are very paranoid), they also have to provide the hacks themselves with SD cards, albeit maybe not even wanting them; the alternative would be the TO needing to control each and every SD card brought.

To me as a player, I'm indifferent about the no tripping code, because I've had almost no occasion where tripping really hurt me.
To me as a TO, however, I am not against the no tripping code, I am against gameplay hacks as it stands. Against hacks in general, actually.

Browny

Smash Hater
I have a question for all of these purists. Do you believe when someone is timed out that they should have to play super sudden death with random bombs to determine the victor? There is no other way to play out a time out besides this unless you just ignore it and say the person with the most stocks and least amount of damage wins. The game says that the victor is determined by who can win the super sudden death match.

This is amazing, and unfortunately too big to be a signature.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Balance the game? That would be a completely different game then, people would have practiced on the standard Brawl.

If it's quick and easy, there really isn't a reason why tripping shouldn't be removed, apart from legal reasons.
I've practiced punishing every single trip with the optimal punish. That's changing the game.

And you didn't answer my other question. Why don't we remove other random effects, such as Luigi's misfire and Peach's variety in turnips?

in order for the judgement to happen and the misfire they have to be initiated. if the player hadnt initiated it then it wouldnt have happened. they arent alike.
By "initiate" I'm assuming you mean something has to be done that can cause the random effect to happen, right?

You have to dash to cause a trip.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
By "initiate" I'm assuming you mean something has to be done that can cause the random effect to happen, right?

You have to dash to cause a trip.
yeah but when a player initiates there move they're hoping for the "9" or "misfire"

when someone dashes they are never hoping for the trip.

I mean, what if every time Luigi did his forward B he had a 1/100 chance of tripping. The luigi player would obviously hate that. The difference is. A Luigi player doesn't "Have" to use his forward B(on the ground) in order to win at a competitive level. Most characters(besides most of the S-tier characters) have to dash to move around the stage and space correctly and win at a competitive level.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Brawl and Brawl without tripping are so similar that practicing in one will not cause you to develop improper technique or skills in the other. I really don't see this as an entry block to new players. They will simply ignore it and learn the basics and know that once they go to a tournament they simply don't need to worry about tripping. Chances are that a new player will not even be aware of the fact that a tournament has removed tripping and would simply think they are playing brawl and nobody tripped which is not exactly a rare occurrence.

That is not to say I am in support of banning tripping at tournaments I just see no reason why we would keep tripping should it possible for everyone to legally turn it off without any more work than toggling time into stock.
This after we went through how tripping increases the power of the ground game? And how Yoshi is much better without tripping.

You may not think it effects much, but I KNOW that if tripping didn't exist, I'd be using dash more, and I'd probably incorporate dash-dancing into my game.

Whether you acknowledge it or not, a metagame without tripping results in subtle differences that are less accessible to players who don't use hacks, and using hacks requires a conscious commitment to the game and community.

Heck, dashing against ICs? Easy example, I never use it because it's asking for a grab.

We have the same opinion I just feel that you are presenting game alterations is a negative light which is giving readers a skewed understanding of your points.
No, I do however, present alterations that pretend it's the same game in a negative light.

exactly... and that is something i can understand. for practical purposes...
Not for being competitive.
if not for practical purposes then i would say that removing tripping would increase competiveness
I suggest you read playing to win, and yes the philosophy is derived from practical purposes.

Adumbrodeus, I believe you cling onto principles a bit too often. Brawl without tripping does not equal a different game entirely. Players practice, I'd imagine, with the intent of applying their strategy successfully or forcing their opponent into a tight spot with whatever it is they learn and apply. Tripping plays no role in the process other than to grant the opposition either a free momentary advantage or a free chance to escape from the attacker's established momentum. Honestly...what significance do principles serve in this debate? It's a rather clear cut view of "what could be" without tripping to interfere during gameplay.
As has been explained NUMERIOUS times, it develops a more ground-based metagame and substantially impacts characters that are very dependent on dashing, furthermore some MUs (anything where there's a 0-death essentially) you pretty much cannot dash ever with tripping enabled.

But really, the point is, even if it's something very tiny, it effects the way people play in subtle ways, making it a distinctive game as long as it effects gameplay.

And this comes with the issue of making a standard stick, how many hacked metagames are there? And then there's people who tried to standardize things like no fatigue. Look at how many different rulesets we already have dependent on area.

I honestly don't know why people continue to argue against this. I'm becoming convinced that most individuals in the Brawl Tactical discussion argue just for the sake of the activity lately.
Because people don't like standardizing hacked metagames?

Because that's a competitive standard issue, since it's ignoring a segment of gameplay that cannot be removed via in-game options (unlike items) it needs to go through the "ban" standards, but it easily fails in that regard for the same reason we ban stages.

Namely, we have intrusiveness and we have stalling (in this case, having the tournament run on time period), if Super Sudden Death was a stage, it would be banned in an instant, it makes Hyrule look neutral.

This is amazing, and unfortunately too big to be a signature.

Hyrule for starter?

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Because that's a competitive standard issue, since it's ignoring a segment of gameplay that cannot be removed via in-game options (unlike items) it needs to go through the "ban" standards, but it easily fails in that regard for the same reason we ban stages.

Namely, we have intrusiveness and we have stalling (in this case, having the tournament run on time period), if Super Sudden Death was a stage, it would be banned in an instant, it makes Hyrule look neutral.
You can't compare Random Stage Select and Super Sudden Death as Random Stages can be chosen before the match where as there is no on or off switch for super sudden death.

and to compare Super Sudden Death with Hyrule???? That's a straw man argument

Browny

Smash Hater
hurrr durrr

its amazing, coz its yet ANOTHER point to add to the list of things brawl needs to ban/limit to be viable, and you will still get idiots who say play the game as it is, dont ban anything. Because other fighting game communities never ban anything (getting at d3 infinite CG here), therefore brawl shouldnt, because its a real fighting game.

a real fighting game, which just like all other 'pure' fighting games, must

ban all items
ban 3/4 of the stages
only be played in 1 game mode
have limitations placed on certain playstyles
a different system than what the game intended for time-outs

Its truly hilarious the deluded purist mentality you get from some people when it comes to banning the likes of D3's infinite, limiting ledgegrab rules and in this case, with tripping, yet the same people advocate the banning of so much more, as if their interpreatation of what needs to be banned or not is worth more because it comes directly from a purist mentality.

get that purist **** outa here.

Fact is the game is butchered down to a tiny portion of what was programmed into it, there can be no argument of playing the game as it is anymore, its CLEARLY doesnt work.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Like many before me have said, it only harms competitive play.
To such a SMALL degree that you guys are crybabies complaining about. Don't like it, don't play.
"Oh c'mon! Even though I could have jumped away and live it's not fair that I can't dash away...even though there's a risk in tripping..." -Scrub

@Dan, simply saying Brawl w/o is no different game does not mean you are right.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion

Sorry if this DPs.

What is the point of asking questions that have little relation to the topic? Playing SSD gives you a HIGH risk of losing the game, the bombs determine the winner. Tripping does not make anyone lose matches, IT'S THEIR FAULT.

Braxton2011

Smash Ace
NNID
Braxtonian8
3DS FC
4167-4550-9020
Sorry if this DPs.

What is the point of asking questions that have little relation to the topic? Playing SSD gives you a HIGH risk of losing the game, the bombs determine the winner. Tripping does not make anyone lose matches, IT'S THEIR FAULT.
You are an idiot. HOW IS A RANDOM INCREASING CHANCE OF SOMETHING A PLAYERS' FAULT?

Did you know that the MORE damage you take, the MORE chance you have of tripping? How is it a players fault for tripping when they have absolutely no control over a random value that happens on Dashes and Dash Grabs/Pivot Grabs and Smash Attacks

TL;DR Tripping is not a players fault. You should be banned for even saying that
Tripping does not make anyone lose matches, IT'S THEIR FAULT.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Sorry if this DPs.

On the contrary! Bob-ombs can be avoided COMPLETELY by hanging out on the ledge. Bombs never go there, and if you auto-sweetspot from the lowest point possible, the explosions won't hit you, ever. It's your fault you lost for going onto the ledge and trying to make a run for your opponent, you're the one who made the decision that puts you at a very high risk! But with tripping, you're unaware of when it mgiht happen... It might happen as you're gonna do an fsmash on an opponent in their last stock, or it might happen when you're gonna edgehog an opponent, or it might happen as soon as you respawn and lose almost all your invincibility frames, (etc). The player never would've guessed it would've happened right then and there, they were just rrying to play as best as possible, it just so happened that at that moment, the game decided it was time for a trip... Nothing to do with a person being dumb or not.

And deciding to run shouldn't have the risk of tripping. Deciding to pivot grab shouldn't either, as with all the ATs that require running. It's been an integral part of the game since SSB64, a statement saying "don't run, walk for all your needs or take to the air" is limiting their approaching options from the 3 I mentioned to 2. This is not optimum competition, no matter how you look at it.... This unwarranted risk which has no reward at all is limiting us, and there's no real redeeming qualities to it at all.

That said, I already got used to tripping in Brawl. If it happens, it happens, what can I do? As it's been said before, Brawl isn't a fighting game so it was made with elements that fighting games shouldn't have... And we can't hack it for tourneys because TOs don't want any surprise legal issues with anyone. Believe me, anything can happen in this world, even when you least expect it, and running the risk of being sued by someone for a stupid reason like "hacking a game" or having to give players their money back because "they went to play a game without hacks", is not what we as TOs want happening to us.

Veril

Frame Savant
And we can't hack it for tourneys because TOs don't want any surprise legal issues with anyone. Believe me, anything can happen in this world, even when you least expect it, and running the risk of being sued by someone for a stupid reason like "hacking a game" or having to give players their money back because "they went to play a game without hacks", is not what we as TOs want happening to us.
Brawl+ says hi. No TO has been sued over Brawl+. This is a non-issue. Saying, well it could happen, is an extremely weak argument. How many tournaments using mods have been run? Enough to know this isn't happening.

Whether MLG supports this is a little different as they are a corporate entity. Individual TOs... there is no evidence at all that there is any legal or technical risk of using mods.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Brawl+ says hi. No TO has been sued over Brawl+. This is a non-issue. Saying, well it could happen, is an extremely weak argument. How many tournaments using mods have been run? Enough to know this isn't happening.

Whether MLG supports this is a little different as they are a corporate entity. Individual TOs... there is no evidence at all that there is any legal or technical risk of using mods.
Explain to me why tripping still isn't 'hacked out' in tourneys. It would be easier than me guessing what you're thinking and you denying everything.

Apart from all the reasons stated before, not everyone has access to an SD Card reader in which they can download hacks. You say that it can be done at the venue, but what if the Wii's owners don't want anything in their SD Card? Or what if they don't want their Wiis to run any codes? You're talking about forcing people into running hacks on their Wiis. If people don't want this, were are we gonna get the setups needed for tourneys?

And Brawl+ tourneys are run because EVERYONE wants the tourneys, that doesn't void my 2nd point. People, as we've heard in this thread, want to go to tourneys to play Brawl as it is... Purists or not, they're still people who pay and play, and we have to make sure everyone gets their money's worth... And 'tripping on' is what's status quo, so in order to change it we'd need a couple of things done, all of which are outside of Brawl's in-game options. We have to import codes to SD Cards, assure every 'purist' that we're going to hold no-tripping-tourneys (a version of the game that's impure),and always make sure there are no additional codes in the SD Cards.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Fact is: If my location would find out I'm officially using a hacked game, I would get the boot. They don't know much, if anything, about hacking video games, and just the slightest curve into "illegal" will shut off the location for me. Every landlord of a location doesn't want illegal or even borderline stuff happening in their building.

You can say "omg it's not illegal blah blah" as much as you want, but it won't help. If a gameplay hack becomes the universally used ruleset, not only do the TOs run into the risk of losing their location (and believe me, MANY landlords are very paranoid), they also have to provide the hacks themselves with SD cards, albeit maybe not even wanting them; the alternative would be the TO needing to control each and every SD card brought.

To me as a player, I'm indifferent about the no tripping code, because I've had almost no occasion where tripping really hurt me.
To me as a TO, however, I am not against the no tripping code, I am against gameplay hacks as it stands. Against hacks in general, actually.
If you can sell for profit something that modifies a game, I'm almost certain that there's no problem with doing it for free.

Top Bottom