• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why are you bad?

Pmac

Smash Cadet
i'm complacent, and i want someone to sum up the last 5 years of smash into a 2 page document and 10 minute video to catch up what ive missed

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
my ganon has overdosed on techskill and has just delved into controlling space in a meaningful way. also, i don't look at my opponent very often, but when i do, it yields very good results (such as my powershield rate going through the roof). overall, i still play ganon in a manner that is more aggressive than he really ought to be played, and by players that know and respect ganons true range of control, it gets me a little torn up.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
hmmm.. well a lot of reasons...
I space poorly
I am unable to read my opponent very well
I get punished for things like missed wavelands and stuff
I'm not as technically sound as I should be
I do stupid things when trying to edgeguard
I get nervous easily
I'm really bad at defense
I approach bad a lot of the time
I'm bad at getting off the ledge
I can't bait people very well
I'm not fast enough
I don't punish people very well
I drop combos a lot
I always jump when people chase me off stage
I recover in similar ways all the time (from the side)
I get baited easily
I recover too high a lot of the time
I choose poor options a lot of the time
I shield a lot more than I should
my reaction time is pretty bad
my hands aren't fast enough yet

and yea... a lot of other stuff too.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how to space, punish or defend. But I can multishine all day... (I'm so terrible at this game :urg: )

Hopland

Smash Rookie
1. Sometimes I just go on autopilot. I know what it the appropriate reaction in my head, but my fingers are like "Hey, let's [shield] roll!".
2. I get too stuck on one move that I really want to do. Need to get it out of my head, because it really messes me up.
3. I'm afraid to spend too much time on this, suck at it forever, and find out later that it's all wasted effort.
4. [insert technical johns here]
5. Need to get it in my head that you play against a player, not a character.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I've never lived anywhere that had more than 1 Smasher in a 90 mile radius, and currently where I live no one plays in a 90 mile radius. And there have generally never been tournaments closer than 2.5 hours away. I go to tournaments when I can, but I've been able to play other Smashers an average of about once a month, recently much less. So this is the primary reason I'm bad. There are others, I'm sure, but it's impossible to evaluate them when I get to play so infrequently.

Some people might consider this massive Johning, but ask yourselves if anyone has ever become good who had no one to practice with regularly.

All I can really do is practice technical stuff, combo CPUs, figure stuff out in debug mode, watch vids, etc. I do pretty poorly in tournaments because I get nervous, due to lack of experience, and don't have much experience with things like comboing DI'ing opponents, escaping from combos, tech-chasing, etc. Basically all the things you can't practice by yourself. I understand what to do with these things but don't react quickly enough or predict very well due to lack of experience.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Some people might consider this massive Johning, but ask yourselves if anyone has ever become good who had no one to practice with regularly.
Nah, dude, having good competition is so ****ing important. I think it's really underrated. I agree with you 100%.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
dr peepee doesn't live close to anyone ever. our main tournaments are about 4 hours for him each way. He's trained his brother twitch to be decent (aka, better than most of the rest of NC) but even he is a pretty limited guinea pig for kevin.

just a touch of perspective. it's possible, but very hard.

A3(PO4 3-)

Smash Apprentice
I approach with nair too much (as fox), I don't overshoot well, I hold shield too much, I have trouble punishing spotdodges and get punished instead, I can't smash DI well, I sometimes react too slowly and miss di on an important grab (jiggs)/a fatal ftilt (sheik). At high percents, I have a bad habit of thinking to myself that I can't risk wavelanding onto stage, and instead rolling or drilling on. Drilling on in general is terrible but I do it anyways and get punished. Oh, and I don't have any recording software to analyze my games after playing them:( any advice guys?

Van.

Smash Ace
I haven't worked hard enough and invested enough time and money into learning how to techchase/get consisgtent with optimizing sheiks downthrow combos by reacting to DI.

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
I approach with nair too much (as fox), I don't overshoot well, I hold shield too much, I have trouble punishing spotdodges and get punished instead, I can't smash DI well, I sometimes react too slowly and miss di on an important grab (jiggs)/a fatal ftilt (sheik).
Wow, you have the exact same weaknesses as I do. The only difference is that I never manage to DI Jigg's up-throw so I get up-throwed to rest all day. (Yeah I'm a noob)

A3(PO4 3-)

Smash Apprentice
haha, even when I DI jiggs' throw correctly, i get pounded and somehow combo'd into rest/death anyway by a good jiggs.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Funny fact Chris: Twitch quit playing the game with me for like a year while I was at home and I had to develop all of my ideas in my head and test EVERYTHING on people when I got the chance haha.

I currently think my biggest issue is that I can't follow one idea to completion before another grasps my attention or I lose motivation to think of new ones. I consider this largely a good and fixable problem though. It's always just been in my head. =)

D

Deleted member

I currently think my biggest issue is that I can't follow one idea to completion before another grasps my attention or I lose motivation to think of new ones. I consider this largely a good and fixable problem though. It's always just been in my head. =)
so you're bad because you listen to me and cactuar basically?

scumbag pennsylvania.

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
I'm bad because I don't know why I'm bad.

All I know is that I don't get good practice on a regular basis.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I have bad habits, but don't change them.
I know something's wrong, but I keep doing it.
I don't know frame data, but I don't try to.
My reaction time is slow, but I don't work on it.
I play a mid tier character, and complain about it.
I'm aware that I get angry, but I don't know how not to.
That's why I'm bad.

Basically, I'm good enough to beat most people that play this game, but I'm bad enough to never make it to top 8 (at least as long as I continue down this road).

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
dr peepee doesn't live close to anyone ever. our main tournaments are about 4 hours for him each way. He's trained his brother twitch to be decent (aka, better than most of the rest of NC) but even he is a pretty limited guinea pig for kevin.

just a touch of perspective. it's possible, but very hard.
Having a brother who plays means he gets way more practice than I do. Just having one decent opponent to play regularly can make a huge difference. There are a lot of great players who trained with siblings, Javi and Shiz come to mind. I'm not saying it isn't impressive how good PP has gotten with few nearby opponents, just that there are some people with literally no one to practice with without driving long distances.

Also, PP is just ungodly good, most of us can't get that good with no one to play with. I practice all kinds of **** by myself but when I go to tourneys I'm super nervous and my brain doesn't react fast enough. Back when I had one Smasher to play with about once a week, I would get less nervous at tourneys. I expect if I had more practice I would be more used to it and it wouldn't affect me much.

If the stupid CPUs would actually DI and tech the lack of human practice wouldn't be much of an issue, but unfortunately comboing CPUs is pretty different from comboing humans. Somebody needs to hack the AI in Melee and teach the CPUs to use advanced techs. I imagine this would be insanely hard though.

Anyway I'm moving soon, to another semi-dead area, but I know there is at least one active player, probably more, so soon I'll have no more excuses for being bad. ;)

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I have bad habits, but don't change them.
I know something's wrong, but I keep doing it.
I don't know frame data, but I don't try to.
My reaction time is slow, but I don't work on it.
I play a mid tier character, and complain about it.
I'm aware that I get angry, but I don't know how not to.
That's why I'm bad.

Basically, I'm good enough to beat most people that play this game, but I'm bad enough to never make it to top 8 (at least as long as I continue down this road).
Looks like you should just try and make yourself practice fixing this stuff.

Rainbow

Smash Apprentice
When I play poorly I get so obsessed with one approach/one combo/one recovery and just always do the same exact thing every time. The people I play against will even notice and simply punish it.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
When I play poorly I get so obsessed with one approach/one combo/one recovery and just always do the same exact thing every time. The people I play against will even notice and simply punish it.
Considering you figured this out, you should know now that you should mix it up more.

McNinja

Smash Ace
I'm bad because it usually takes me awhile to catch on to any patterns my opponent might be using
and it takes awhile to realize what I'm doing wrong.
Also, I need to play this game with human opponents more.
Oh, and I need to stop getting distracted by Project: M.
That's about it.
Maybe I need some general tech skill polishing, too...

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Armada has Aniolas and other Swedish players

Yeah he's better than them but he's the World's best right now. Aniolas>Twitch I'm sure.

Armada

Smash Lord
Aniolas haven't lived close to me since begining of 2010 (few days after Pound4). He lives 6h by car from me =/

Im still liveing at home and so does Android so I have someone to play with often.

Anand: Haha that post was to much =)

Top Bottom