• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are we doing this? ( a message to the competitive side of smash)

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrain911

Smash Apprentice
First off I'm a casual smash bros. player so maybe I don't get the thrill of playing in a tourney, but I'm pretty sure Sakurai wouldn't want his game to be played like this. We're stripping the fun out of melee with our advanced techniques and our items are unfair rules. You'll notice Sakurai never put in any of those techniques we found them. Soon after Melee changed from a game to a competition over whose the best,and the amount of skill you have. People switched from the character they liked to play as the player who was best. Tiers became limitaitions and items were the enemy. Now Brawl comes out very soon, and I'm sure this may happen again. Even now we're looking for new ways to become better than others and the game hasn't even hit home. Now I propose we change what we're doing. Brawl is a game. Games are played for fun. Play as the character you like not who's best. Try out items it takes skill to grab the m before your opponent and strategy to use them. Forget about final destination for a change. Get rid of banning stages. Just go with the flow of the stage. Has hazards? Dodge em. Too big? Deal with it. It takes even more skills to deal with these things then to wavedash or to shine. Sakurai already gave us a list of awesome techniques what more could we need? Any character could beat any character with the right person behind it. Brawl is a chance to start fresh, and change things up. It's not like any game before it. This time we've got a plethorea of items and stages and moves to use. Those stages and items aren't there to take up space. The people who made the game intended for you to use them. Final smashes would be awesome in tourneys. Just think your opponent is on his last legs when suddenly a smash ball appears. Your opponent grabs it and now it's anybody's game. Think of the excitement. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Brawl should be fun not a way to boost your superiority.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace

Who cares what SAKURAI wants. It's me who is playing and it is me who wants to ENJOY playing it. His way, to me, is NOT the FUN way. Also why is it a big deal to you? Who is holding a gun to your head saying YOU PLAY LIKE THIS OR I SHOOT YOU? Nobody. You play your way(randomness) and I'll play mine(as skill oriented as can be).

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Wow. This isn't just a wall of text. This is a WoT made out of bricks of bad, cliched arguments, and fused together with some mortar of grammar/spelling errors, then painted with pure ignorance. It's simultaneously the most beautiful and horrific thing I've ever seen on this website.

Revven

FrankerZ
Y'know, the forums on here could be a lot better off without all these casual players that disagree with the way we play. It's really starting to no, it didn't just start, it's BEEN like this and I'm tired of it. If you came here to discuss Smash alone and play casually, then you may as well just leave if you don't like the way we play it. This is a COMPETITIVE Smash forum, if you don't like it, go to a CASUAL forum. They exist, y'know!

inb4lock.

Rampage

vx
You're a idiot. I hate people like you, trying to say that high-level play isn't fun and tournaments are dumb. If you want to play with someone and then you kill them with an up top kill last stock but then a bomb spawns above you do you think you'd be happy? Especially with MONEY on the line? No. So just shut up, let us play the way we want. Just because you don't like tournaments and you aren't good enough to compete in them doesn't mean you should go out trying to make the good players play like you. We enjoy playing with advanced techniques. We like seeing who has the most pure SKILL. Items just get in the way. Sure, we'll use items for a bit in brawl, but like I said, I don't want to be killed before my opponent just because I hit an exploding item or something. So just leave us alone.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
He actually has a point, but I'm gonna be a sheep today and say....

-facepalm- Don't ever argue with a competitive player, it's useless. They will always try to justify their opinion as right and fact, and yours as wrong and stupid. I've learned this plenty of times. Just let them play the game their way and let us casual Brawlers play it like we like to. Simple as that.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Y'know, the forums on here could be a lot better off without all these casual players that disagree with the way we play. It's really starting to no, it didn't just start, it's BEEN like this and I'm tired of it. If you came here to discuss Smash alone and play casually, then you may as well just leave if you don't like the way we play it. This is a COMPETITIVE Smash forum, if you don't like it, go to a CASUAL forum. They exist, y'know!

inb4lock.
QFT. You basically hit the nail on the head.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I missed the part of this forum's registration where it said it was a competitive players forum anyways. I was under the impression this forum was for anyone who discovered it to talk and discuss Brawl/Melee/Smash 4/5/6/800.

But like I said....gonna be a sheep now and shut up. -winks-

Unknownlight

Smash Journeyman
You are trying to say that we should play the game Sakurai's way. Why not play it the way you like to play? Isn't that what games are about? (If you can't answer that, it is). Also with the "items and big stages" thing, pretend you were in the final round, you're risking money on the basis that you can win this match, then a bob-omb falls on your head. You lose. Now do you get it?

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
I missed the part of this forum's registration where it said it was a competitive players forum anyways. I was under the impression this forum was for anyone who discovered it to talk and discuss Brawl/Melee/Smash 4/5/6/800.

But like I said....gonna be a sheep now and shut up. -winks-
DISCUSS, not WHINE.

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna apologize on behalf of this guy. I'm a casual Smasher too, but I at least understand the reasons why competitive Smash has evolved into the game it is. I wish that other casual Smashers would do the same, since it would lead to a lot more tolerance (on both sides, really) of styles of play.

I think the real problem that this guy (and myself) face is that we think that we'd enjoy participating in tournaments with more randomness (which is not to say less skill), but there isn't enough of a demand in the Smash community for that because tournaments are often for money.

I'm hoping that Brawl can open up the possibility for some charity events where the emphasis of a tournament will be about having a good time for a good cause, where winning takes a back seat to play the game to its fullest. Charity coin match tournament, anyone? :)

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
I'm gonna apologize on behalf of this guy. I'm a casual Smasher too, but I at least understand the reasons why competitive Smash has evolved into the game it is. I wish that other casual Smashers would do the same, since it would lead to a lot more tolerance (on both sides, really) of styles of play.

I think the real problem that this guy (and myself) face is that we think that we'd enjoy participating in tournaments with more randomness (which is not to say less skill), but there isn't enough of a demand in the Smash community for that because tournaments are often for money.

I'm hoping that Brawl can open up the possibility for some charity events where the emphasis of a tournament will be about having a good time for a good cause, where winning takes a back seat to play the game to its fullest. Charity coin match tournament, anyone? :)
No offense, but cant you get your friends together and hold your own tournament in your house? Hell you guys can even put money into a pot and play for money! I don't understand why you want some big tournament filled with RANDOMNESS.

Mediator

Smash Journeyman
The Flames of the smash forum burns into your soul!

and here is my rebuttal

If sak. didn't want us to play our way we wouldn't have an item switch and we wouldn't have a stage selection it would just be set to random and smash is like BK we can have it our way.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman

-facepalm- Don't ever argue with a competitive player, it's useless. They will always try to justify their opinion as right and fact, and yours as wrong and stupid. I've learned this plenty of times. Just let them play the game their way and let us casual Brawlers play it like we like to. Simple as that.
What is his point? He seems to think that he and Sakurai alone are the dictators of fun.

Competitive play is the way it is because of an all-possessing effort to remove every chance of luck from tournaments and distill it into a skill-test. casual players must be able to see this as "honorable", else you're just hateful.

Now, these distilled tournaments create a drive to be better than one another. NOT to glitch things, NOT to hack the game, simply to have an advantage over their fellow tourney players.

Voila, advanced techs.

Now, as far as final smashes, there is a debate. It is luck as to when the thing appears, but it certainly isn't luck getting it, that would take skill.

However, the prevailing question is, are they too powerful?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
So do I.

I have nothing against casual smashers. I have something against stupidity, no matter who they are. They can be Ken for all I care, if Ken came in here tomorrow and said something stupid, I'd give him a scathing reply.

Rampage

vx

Randomness=A major drop in skillful play

Like I said earlier. You don't want a bomb spawning above you final match

and we don't even care about you casual players, why are you guys so fixated on us? Just stop talking about us and let us wavedash out of your silly little heads

Honestly, who are you to say that playing in tournaments isn't fun?

This arguments is the same repetative, uniformed, copy-paste we see on a daily basis here. but if you want to induce an argument, fine, i'll bite.

The tournaments scene is established on the grounds of equal play, giving everyone a chance to win as long as they have a well established mindset. Neutral stages are picked and items are discarded for one reason; they are spontaneous. Items add an unforseen variable into the game play of smash, and it makes it next to impossible to be able to play without having a hazard interrupt your game. Even though non competetive party game players enjoy this, fighting game players do not. This game shares the elements of a party game, a platformer, and a fighting game. Fighting games are naturally competative, and don't necessarily have to rely on a random bomb.

Sakurai created this series to be played the way that we see fit, and not based off of Nintendo's casual marketting demographic.

The technical aspects of the game are created simply for enhancing the games engine. These techniques that we invented are nothing but strings of common techniques used to create another one, such as the SHFFL. It's a short hop and an aerial, Fast Fall, then L-cancel. Thid is nothing but using the games engine to break beyond the games limitations.

One can say that it takes skill to use items and dodge them, but in reality, it doesn't take skill, but sheer luck. Some hazards and elements in smash can't simply be avoided because there is the possibility that you can, and there is no guarantee that you may be able to counter an item instatly if you are in the position to do so. Items aren't made for the sake of balance. I'm pretty sure that if you throw a Pokeball your strategy doesn't necessarily requier more than dumb luck.

I'm not even going to waste my time on speaking about the tournament segment. I've repeated myself enough as it is.

Honestly, who do you find it s necessity to play in a casual manner? Why can't we play with our methods and you can do the same? The idea of fun is biased, so playing in one manner will never be universally accepted. You find it fun to play a match full of spontaneous elements. We find it fun to play on equal grounds with set limitations. Variety drives the smash series beyond the casual game expectations.

You have never had any tournament experiance before, nor do you know how we run things. So I suggest that you stop assuming how we play based off of Youtube videos and encyclopedia dramatica stereotypes.

Get bent.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion

We say that items and FFAs screw up the analysis of which player is better in accordance with individual skill. Items can randomly pop up up as capsules and crates and blow up, making it a game of luck, not skill. Also, most of the items can drastically change the tide of a match. FFAs lead to double teaming and chaos, which also makes it worse. It's true, though. But yeah, play how you want. There's no set standard for Smash. I just have more fun playing competitively. Also, playing with items ever now and then is what I do as well.

Oh, and great post, Eternal Phoenix Fire. As expected! :)

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
I'd quote the Wall of Facepalm but that takes a while to load on my computer.

I think this place needs a sort of dump for "casual" gamers who ALL think people take the game too seriously. I'd call it the Casual Member forum.

World

Smash Cadet
Im just trying to figure out why he said 'we' but then says that he is a casual player who dislikes the
tournament scene.

I thought that this was a forum for competitive players and casuals who want to become competitive
as well?...

etrain911

Smash Apprentice
eh I guess you have your ways and I have mine. I had the best of intenitions it's not my fault that you guys are being flame ********. Just trying to help not fight all of you. You're sort of wasting your time even replying to this, don't like it, don't read it. While a couple of you gave valid points, I guess your right. I wasted my time writing it and I'm sorry. Thanks to Randofu and Yuna for being at least a tiny bit decent. You don't have to get so angry. Really, just stop reading. I guess this is why I don't post too much.

eh I guess you have your ways and I have mine. I had the best of intenitions it's not my fault that you guys are being flame ********. Just trying to help not fight all of you. You're sort of wasting your time even replying to this, don't like it, don't read it. While a couple of you gave valid points, I guess your right. I wasted my time writing it and I'm sorry. Thanks to Randofu and Yuna for being at least a tiny bit decent. You don't have to get so angry. Really, just stop reading. I guess this is why I don't post too much.
Helping? How are you helping?

You are conducting an argument on a website dedicated to the competative side of smash. Not only that, but you are enforcing ridiculous assumptions, and basically telling us that we are playing the game "wrong" because we aren't using the plethora of techniques that Sakurai intentionally created. If anything, you're the retarted one for being massacistic enough to openly speak your mind without traking into consideration who you are talking too.

If we are wasting our time, why are you so insistant on making a topic? If you didn't want people to respond to something in a certain manner, don't speak up.

You are free to post what you want, but don't ever think that you won't get negative responses from people who don't share the same views as you.

Rampage

vx
There is a difference between anger and extreme irritation.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Just because "Yuna said to" does NOT MAKE IT SO.

I hope you all learn not to spam and feed trolls, kthx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom