• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are certain stages banned?

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Project M has a lot of good stages, but too many stages leads to longer stage picking. Longer stage picking leads to longer matches which leads to longer tournaments, so I can see why people want short stagelists. But other than that, I really don't see why stages like Norfair, Distant Planet, Skyworld, Skyloft ( even worse; removed from first page ), Lylat Cruise, Fountain of Dreams, and even Yoshi's Story are banned in tournaments. Norfair favors fast or aerial characters because of the high platforms while being pretty bad for slow characters. Distant Planet's center stage is weaker than most stages. I could go on, but the point is these stages are unique in terms of counterpick material. So I just wnna know why.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Most of those stages are fine, and it really does come down to TO.

But there's actually good reason for Skyloft being banned...

marf.jpg

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Yeah I know. The Infinity and Beyond( Texas ) stagelists are really weird.
Since it's a weekly, they like to try out new lists to get data and then impressions on them. Sometimes we end up with wack looking lists, sometimes they're boringly normal, and a lot of the time it's just one or two oddballs to keep things new.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Since it's a weekly, they like to try out new lists to get data and then impressions on them. Sometimes we end up with wack looking lists, sometimes they're boringly normal, and a lot of the time it's just one or two oddballs to keep things new.
Have you tried Halberd or Hyrule? I'd be interested in seeing that.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Have you tried Halberd or Hyrule? I'd be interested in seeing that.
I don't know, the tloc guys would be the ones who do that. I don't think they'd ever include hyrule 64, but I could see them feeling frisky some week and trying halberd again.

Fortress

Smash Master
Castle, Norfair, Halberd, Drac's Castle, and Metal Cavern are all popular swaps for stagelist changes. Skyworld/Loft are sometimes seen as changes to the norm, but they both have jank on them that often sees them out of rotations.

Stages like Onett and Shadow Moses are left out because of walkoffs and how easily certain character could KO with no/little effort, and ones like Temple are left out because of how long stocks would last.

I'd actually like seeing a competitive match on Project M's Infinite Glacier, what with the wacky wavedashing lengths. I'd love to see what some players could do on that sans water.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Hitbox display problems just makes it look worse than it is - it's still jank.

marf2.jpg

The point of the images is that Marth (others, too, but especially him) can gimp and edgeguard with moves already potent for those purposes, but can now hit below the ledge to do so, easily.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
I think the difference is that Skyloft's is much more abuseable. I dislike Yoshi's Island, also, but Skyloft's allows for attacks that go entirely through the ledge.

MLGF

Smash Lord
I run Skyworld, it seems to be working pretty well. Floaties have something now and its pretty nice. Where is its jank anyhow?

Top Bottom