• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why all that makes Brawl different from Melee makes Brawl BETTER than Melee (long)

Zeenof

Smash Rookie
In all honestly, I think that they did. I am not amazing at the game, but i could/can beat almost anybody i know (thats not saying much cause none of them could even wavedash) by spamming SHFFL'd aerials with every character and wavesmashing like crazy. Melee was a game where the fastest person won, and we tried to make that happen with all of the advanced techs.

Brawl is Different everybody. If you hate it, then get out and keep on playing melee with all of your advanced techniques, which i too will sorely miss. Everybody now needs to up their mindgames like they did with their tech skills.

Good luck---
--------------

Doomblaze... you have got to be one of the dumbest people I think I've ever had the misfortune to stumble upon... anyone who has to rely on abusing the game's mechanics, and glitching to win their games are absolute failures. True skill is playing the game without being a failing cheater. But, I guess that would be hard for a normie like you to understand. God, why do you people suck so bad?

Fletch

Smash Master
In all honestly, I think that they did. I am not amazing at the game, but i could/can beat almost anybody i know (thats not saying much cause none of them could even wavedash) by spamming SHFFL'd aerials with every character and wavesmashing like crazy. Melee was a game where the fastest person won, and we tried to make that happen with all of the advanced techs.
That is not at all the case; tech skill helps, but the most technical players are not necessarily the best. Silent Wolf is probably the most technical player there is, and even though he's really good, he doesn't necessarily go out and win any major tournaments or beat people like M2K or PC. Ken also dominated the competitive Smash scene for most of its duration without being that technical at all.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
That is not at all the case; tech skill helps, but the most technical players are not necessarily the best. Silent Wolf is probably the most technical player there is, and even though he's really good, he doesn't necessarily go out and win any major tournaments or beat people like M2K or PC. Ken also dominated the competitive Smash scene for most of its duration without being that technical at all.
urdoinitwrong! These are the Brawl Boards, you have to use people they actually know. Let me try. GIMPYFISH IS NOT VERY TECHNICAL AT THE GAME. lol

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I'm sorry, but that means that the people you play against are really bad at smash. I know you acknowledged this, but they're really bad, so that example isn't really relevant.

Melee was a game where the person who was fastest at thinking and most precise at executing won.

From the characters that rely on spacing, to the characters made playable by wavedashing, to the characters that fight mostly in the air, to the djc characters, to projectile characters, and to really really bad characters who are bad at everything....

advanced techs did not homogenize them.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
advanced techs DID homogenize the characters.
if you honestly think that brainpower won games in Melee, you honestly are kidding yourself about competitive melee.
THE VERY BEST players in the world are the best because of their brains, but the vast majority of good players across the nation are good because they've trained their fingers to push buttons accurately at very high speeds.
i can play mario, dr. mario, falcon, luigi, and ganondorf (and to a lesser extent mewtwo, pikachu, and pichu) almost the exact same way, pushing the exact same buttons and still provide the same challenge.
obvioulsy some characters are unique, but OVERALL thats how it is.
All it fundamentally takes to win in Melee is a basic formulaic understanding of "don't get hit" and the ability to press specific buttons accurately very fast.

the very best in the world took Melee to its best level, they learned to combine brainpower with techs and thats why they are on another level. they know how to adapt in the middle of a match and outwit their opponent. but even before that, they had to learn how to push buttons accurately very fast.

what i'm saying is brawl isn't like that. the characters and physics and mechanics were designed such that you are required to think in order to win.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
your a moron
Anyone who speaks English as their first language and writes at a high school level or better would recognize it as poorly written.

Anyone who had some vague understanding of competitive Melee and Melee's mechanics would recognize it as ignorant.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
advanced techs DID homogenize the characters.
if you honestly think that brainpower won games in Melee, you honestly are kidding yourself about competitive melee.
THE VERY BEST players in the world are the best because of their brains, but the vast majority of good players across the nation are good because they've trained their fingers to push buttons accurately at very high speeds.
i can play mario, dr. mario, falcon, luigi, and ganondorf (and to a lesser extent mewtwo, pikachu, and pichu) almost the exact same way, pushing the exact same buttons and still provide the same challenge.
obvioulsy some characters are unique, but OVERALL thats how it is.
All it fundamentally takes to win in Melee is a basic formulaic understanding of "don't get hit" and the ability to press specific buttons accurately very fast.

the very best in the world took Melee to its best level, they learned to combine brainpower with techs and thats why they are on another level. they know how to adapt in the middle of a match and outwit their opponent. but even before that, they had to learn how to push buttons accurately very fast.

what i'm saying is brawl isn't like that. the characters and physics and mechanics were designed such that you are required to think in order to win.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is wrong, and if I didn't have to go to work, I'd take the time out to explain why(I'll do it when I get off if anyone cares)

Edit: Ok, Im gonna explain why this is wrong now. This post is wrong because you don't fully understand what it is your arguing. You stated that you could play 5 characters exactly the same, pressing the same buttons and still provide the same challenge no matter what. If this is true, than you suck and should just give up at melee. If you are seriously so bad that you can't actually play any one character better than another than you really have no business trying to explain melee to other people. Spamming random tech(WD, SHFFL, etc) with random characters is literally the lowest level of competitive play. Even if you know how to spam it well enough to beat others who don't know how to spam it well, you are not a good player. You have no strategy to your play and as such, once you meet someone who actually knows how to play well, you would get destroyed. Mindgames DO exist and they ARE important to high level play, more so than tech skill. Knowing when to attack, when to defend, when to feint, when to bait, when to advance, when to retreat, THAT is what will make you play well. Now, obviously tech skill IS important as you need to be able follow through once you've got control of the match, it will never be more important than actually gaining control, which will almost always be done with MINDGAMES.(god I hate that word)

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
Wow, anyone who disagrees with the OP is a ****ing ******.

He is so right. I love Brawl so much, because now I don't beat everyone I know by 3 stocks in a 4 stock match. now it's about even. SO much more fun!

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Taking your thoughts on Brawl combo's a little farther, it needs to be pointed out that the new air dodge system basically destroys any hope of aerial combo's in Brawl. With reduced hit stun, any follow up from a combo-er can be avoided with an air dodge, and since there is no penalty for air dodging now, it basically puts you in the clear as you can either attack your opponent if they are open, or jump away and avoid anything else. This seems to follow the new "Defensive Smash" idea, in that the entire game seems to be centered around a defensive style of play. Obviously without L-Canceling, shield camping and shield grabbing will become the dominant play styles, and due to the new ease of power shielding there's really no better way to win than playing a solely defensive game.
I know I am commenting on this much farther in the thread, but this is exactly the way I have perceived Brawl. The airdodge should have been usable only once in the air but you still maintain momentum and can attack out of it. In terms of hit-stun, I am also disappointed. I find that it's easier to combo with the damage ratio at .8, but you live WAY to long when doing that.

Also, I think that the ledge game has been destroyed from Melee. Edgeguarding is useless, and recoveries are practically automatic.

Grabbing is also useless...**Sigh** sometimes I wish that Nintendo just stuck with their original plan by upgrading Melee's graphics and adding an online mode. What Nintendo did was good marketing wise because the game is more noob friendly so it delves more into the noobs market. Nintendo knows it has the hard core Smashers secured. The thing with Nintendo is, they no longer have a single hard core game.

Let's look at some recent games:
Mario Galaxy-The portion leading up to the ending boss was too easy. The game became moderately difficult after 100 stars, but still wasn't too hard.

Mario Kart Wii-Tracks are huge now making it more noob friendly.

Metroid Prime 3-Play it, you'll realize it's more linear (to me that wasn't a bad thing though).

All those games mentioned above are supposed to cater to the hard core, but they turned into games that cater to the wana-be hard core. The only recent Nintendo game that was more difficult than it's predecessor was Twilight Princess, but that was going to be a GCN game anyways! Yeah, the Wii is not meant for the hard core.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
I know I am commenting on this much farther in the thread, but this is exactly the way I have perceived Brawl. The airdodge should have been usable only once in the air but you still maintain momentum and can attack out of it. In terms of hit-stun, I am also disappointed. I find that it's easier to combo with the damage ratio at .8, but you live WAY to long when doing that.

Also, I think that the ledge game has been destroyed from Melee. Edgeguarding is useless, and recoveries are practically automatic.

Grabbing is also useless...**Sigh** sometimes I wish that Nintendo just stuck with their original plan by upgrading Melee's graphics and adding an online mode. What Nintendo did was good marketing wise because the game is more noob friendly so it delves more into the noobs market. Nintendo knows it has the hard core Smashers secured. The thing with Nintendo is, they no longer have a single hard core game.

Let's look at some recent games:
Mario Galaxy-The portion leading up to the ending boss was too easy. The game became moderately difficult after 100 stars, but still wasn't too hard.

Mario Kart Wii-Tracks are huge now making it more noob friendly.

Metroid Prime 3-Play it, you'll realize it's more linear (to me that wasn't a bad thing though).

All those games mentioned above are supposed to cater to the hard core, but they turned into games that cater to the wana-be hard core. The only recent Nintendo game that was more difficult than it's predecessor was Twilight Princess, but that was going to be a GCN game anyways! Yeah, the Wii is not meant for the hard core.
This, unfortunately seems to be very true as Nintendo by and large has forsaken the more "hardcore"(not really the right word, but I don't know what is) gamers for the very casual. All of their old IP's that WERE known for being hardcore have either been left to die, largely ignored, or just watered down for the casual gamers. While I won't debate on whether or not this makes them fun(I did so love Mario Galaxy and MP3) I will argue that without any real challenge to their games, I don't really care to play them much longer than I have to. The same holds true with Brawl, without any depth, I don't really find any need to play after beating SSE >_>

Top Bottom