• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why A Tier List Is Not For Brawl!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm a BRoomer, not an SBRoomer. I used to be but my membership was randomly revoked after I hadn't posted in it (or on Smashboards at all) for, like, 6 months or something and I've been too lazy to reapply.

I could probably get in again if I applied, though. And I will in time.

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl
And? I can **** Foxes as Zelda. It depends on which Fox I'm playing against.

Any character can **** any character if the gap in skill is large enough. The tierlist assumes that both parties are of roughly equal skill. Also, individual matchups. Even Low Tiers have favorable and even matchups against the Top Tiers.
Hate to say it, but this argument is monotonous. You keep saying the same thing and people keep arguing, how can you stand to repeat yourself.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hate to say it, but this argument is monotonous. You keep saying the same thing and people keep arguing, how can you stand to repeat yourself.
Because people keep repeating the same idiotic arguments, so I keep having to refute them using the same responses because they happen to be the best ones for the situation?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I just don't see how you can answer the same questions over and over, it seems very boring and monotonous.
Why do you use monotonous when you already have already described it in your sentence?
*poke poke*

I also want a pink name. Give me please.

Considering you are a debater, are debates not similar? Concerning issues such as abortion are they not simply an idea that is continously repeated? Yes it can be presented differently but the basis of it remains the same.

Now pink name please. Or maybe blue.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
The only way a tier list is not for brawl is if brawl has absolutely no tournament results.
Oops! There have already been tournaments.
You can close this thread now.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
The only way a tier list is not for brawl is if brawl has absolutely no tournament results.
Oops! There have already been tournaments.
You can close this thread now.
Tier lists do use tournament resuts but that is only to provide backing to them.
Even if there were no tournaments the tiers would still be there simply because of the fact that there is diversity among the fighters.

Enshoku

Smash Lord
Why do you use monotonous when you already have already described it in your sentence?
*poke poke*

I also want a pink name. Give me please.

Considering you are a debater, are debates not similar? Concerning issues such as abortion are they not simply an idea that is continuously repeated? Yes it can be presented differently but the basis of it remains the same.

Now pink name please. Or maybe blue.
*gives shadowlink a pure black name*

Debates have two sides, and attempt to use evidence as well as one's opinion to prove one's point. This thread was doing just this, but no new arguments are being brought up, AND yuna is right, and only getting more opinions thrown at him.

(on a side note, I just got my game informer, if they ignored brawl again...)

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
*gives shadowlink a pure black name*

Debates have two sides, and attempt to use evidence as well as one's opinion to prove one's point. This thread was doing just this, but no new arguments are being brought up, AND yuna is right, and only getting more opinions thrown at him.

(on a side note, I just got my game informer, if they ignored brawl again...)
You lie its still yellow T_T.

Well I understand the whole basic concept but what I mean is that in theory, while debates do bring evidence for the argument the basic argument itself does not change.

in this case it is tier lists exist, that basic argument will have evidence for it but that doesn't change the argument itself. The only thing that is monotonous is when only opinions are brought up, those being made by anecdotal evidence that has little impact.

I got my game informer and they did not ignore brawl. ^_^

Enshoku

Smash Lord
You lie its still yellow T_T.

Well I understand the whole basic concept but what I mean is that in theory, while debates do bring evidence for the argument the basic argument itself does not change.

in this case it is tier lists exist, that basic argument will have evidence for it but that doesn't change the argument itself. The only thing that is monotonous is when only opinions are brought up, those being made by anecdotal evidence that has little impact.

I got my game informer and they did not ignore brawl. ^_^
exactly, and said situation is monotonous, at least in my opinion. I also did change your username color but them I changed it back really quickly, because I can haXX0r stuffs liek dat.

MaximoSmasher

Smash Apprentice
"calling someone clearly more intellgent, talented, and creative than you are "stupid""?

Did you also just call yourself more intelligent, talented and creative than I am? I'll give you creative if we're talking about the arts since I draw only humans (I did a pretty good job at drawing a still life a bottle the other day, but it's not something I do often).

Talented? In what, Brawl because you think a tier list is not necessary? Intelligent? Because you ignore all arguments and counter-arguments you can't refute, haven't been able to refute a single one of my arguments insofar, regularly flame people in order to reduce their credibility (in your mind) and stick to your argument which is 100% opinion with zero facts to back it up?

Oh yeah, I bow down to your superiority.

At least my opinion of you has nothing to do with what you think about Melee or Brawl.
I was talking about Sakurai, *******.

Congrats on drawing a bottle 9_9

Enshoku

Smash Lord

no need for that kind of language, *** ****** *******'s annoy the ******* **** out of me.

brawl is bottom tier, suck my balls noobs
I reported your post. Why must the idiots come out to play on such a miserable rainy day?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

Wow, you're one of "those" aren't you? Sakurai can never do wrong nor can he ever do anything stupid.

Even the most brilliant of people can make grave mistakes. I present to you Tripping, the horrible choice of nerfing every single Top- and High-tier + the top of Mid (sometimes into infinity) while leaving Marth pretty much unscathed (is that his idea of balance?!) and making Yoshi completely unplayable.

You call these strokes of genius? I call it bouts of stupidity. I'm not saying the man's a total idiot. But at least I'm not some crazed fanboy who's convinced by favourite people can never do wrong.

Enshoku

Smash Lord
Wow, you're one of "those" aren't you? Sakurai can never do wrong nor can he ever do anything stupid.

Even the most brilliant of people can make grave mistakes. I present to you Tripping, the horrible choice of nerfing every single Top- and High-tier + the top of Mid (sometimes into infinity) while leaving Marth pretty much unscathed (is that his idea of balance?!) and making Yoshi completely unplayable.

You call these strokes of genius? I call it bouts of stupidity. I'm not saying the man's a total idiot. But at least I'm not some crazed fanboy who's convinced by favourite people can never do wrong.
yoshi isn't horrible...okay, I lied.

marth has also changed quite a bit, shorter range, faster attacks, less combo choices, faster attacks,one of the slower dash speeds, faster attacks, etc...
faster attacks

tripping is just a horrible Idea, to quote samuraipanda "what... in the h*ll... was sakurai thinking?!"

Zink

Smash Champion
I can't believe we're still doing tires don exits. Can we just put up a closed sticky with a link to Sirlin's articles on game balance and lock every no-tiers thread?

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
How do I get any kind of cool title...
Do I just make intelligent posts on one kind of thing?

MaximoSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure he can be wrong, perhaps he's locked his keys in his car, or forgot what day it was...Oh it happens to us all....But to think he'd make huge blunders, when he's worked so hard on smash...Well I think you need to re-evaluate the guy.

God stop whining.[/quote]
Tripping wasn't a mistake. 100% intentional :) ...nerfing tiers? or trying to balance? Again it just sounds like you are whining because he didn't make the game YOU wanted him to make. Grow up.

I call them personal choices, and I know he had his reasons...I may not care for tripping but It's FAR from stupid. He's not one of my favorite people, I just have respect for the guy, after all the hardwork he's done and all the games he's put out...The least I can do is point out how selfish, arrogant, and eltist you're being against the guy.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
God stop whining. Tripping wasn't a mistake. 100% intentional :) ...nerfing tiers? or trying to balance? Again it just sounds like you are whining because he didn't make the game YOU wanted him to make. Grow up.
Tripping is very much a mistake. The reason items are removed and stages are banned in competitive play is to remove all elements of luck or chance from the game. The idea is to reduce it to a test of skill only. Tripping ends that. If two players of equal skill are fighting each other, and one trips during their approach, the other player has only to f-smash to gain a huge upper hand, and a lead that wouldn't have been there were it not for Sakurai's poor planning. How does that balance anything? Sakurai developed this game for casual players, it's only natural that we competitive players would dislike changes that make the game inconducive to tournament play.

I call them personal choices, and I know he had his reasons...I may not care for tripping but It's FAR from stupid. He's not one of my favorite people, I just have respect for the guy, after all the hardwork he's done and all the games he's put out...The least I can do is point out how selfish, arrogant, and eltist you're being against the guy.
Do you care to explain how tripping isn't stupid? There is no legitimate reason for it to be in the game. Even casual players would dislike it if they lose matches based on a random value in the programming. Nobody is disrespecting Sakurai, they are simply criticizing some of the decisions he made while developing the game. Yuna's comments are in no way selfish, arrogant, or elitist. Do you realize that it is equally elitist to criticize competitive players in the way that you have? The comments you make assume that casual players are superior to competitive players in that they don't "waste their lives away," or "just play to have fun." Not once has a competitive player initiated a criticism of casual players.

At this point it seems like you're just trying to say whatever you can to contradict the other people in this thread. Maybe it's time you realize that you are in the minority concerning your feelings towards the tiers. Why would the entire competitive community sacrifice a tool that is considered useful to a large percent of the population, just so as not to insult or marginalize the precious few who oppose it?

Enshoku

Smash Lord
How do I get any kind of cool title...
Do I just make intelligent posts on one kind of thing?
don't do it for the title, do it for smashboards. Being nice and helpful, and not just a general asshat may garner you moderator, but b-roomer, sb-roomer, debater, and smash director requires things out of you.

and zink... SHUT THE HELL UP, YOU FUZZBAG!

*lion combo's zink*

EVERYONE nows tat tires don exits! DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH. if tires exited then teh whorld wood b a wierd plac.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm sure he can be wrong, perhaps he's locked his keys in his car, or forgot what day it was...Oh it happens to us all....But to think he'd make huge blunders, when he's worked so hard on smash...Well I think you need to re-evaluate the guy.
I'm sorry, I thought you held an at least fundamental grasp of the English language. Since when doe the words "Act of stupidity" and "Mistake" equal "Unintential blunder"?

God stop whining.
Tripping wasn't a mistake. 100% intentional :) ...nerfing tiers? or trying to balance? Again it just sounds like you are whining because he didn't make the game YOU wanted him to make. Grow up.
1) Tripping is stupid. Even Casual smashers hate it. The majority of the people I know who have played the game hate it.
2) He tried to balance the game... and failed miserably in some cases.

I called him "stupid" and you flamed me for it.

I'm being "elitist, selfish and arrogant" for pointing out the mistakes he made with the game? Fanboyism hard at work.

MaximoSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Tripping is very much a mistake. The reason items are removed and stages are banned in competitive play is to remove all elements of luck or chance from the game. The idea is to reduce it to a test of skill only. Tripping ends that. If two players of equal skill are fighting each other, and one trips during their approach, the other player has only to f-smash to gain a huge upper hand, and a lead that wouldn't have been there were it not for Sakurai's poor planning. How does that balance anything? Sakurai developed this game for casual players, it's only natural that we competitive players would dislike changes that make the game inconducive to tournament play.
You can't reduce Brawl to ONLY a test of skill, There's always somthing at play, character, stage, stock or time limit, multiple players...This game was never meant to even the playing field perfectly, and tripping enforces that. It has nothing to do with casual/ competitive, its people trying to turn brawl into somthing it's not. Fine you don't like Brawl, go play Melee. I'm not going harass you about the things I don't like in Melee, and believe me there are a ton.

Do you care to explain how tripping isn't stupid? There is no legitimate reason for it to be in the game.
Reasons that could be for tripping-

1. People stop being so serious about somthing thats supposed to be fun.
2. Take the edge of the advantage away from flat stage/speed ( like fox )
3. Its funny
4. To make you understand a game could still be competitive even with randomn factors.
5. To troll the hell out of people like you.
6. Add "improvising" to gameplay, sure your perfect little run combo failed. NOW IMPROVISE.
7. Give a slight advtantage to Ariel characters ( Like ness/Lucas ) seriously I RARELY trip.
8. Make the game less about effective running, and more about timed attacks.
9. Make the game less offensive biased.

Hmm...those are just a few guesses. There ya go.
Even casual players would dislike it if they lose matches based on a random value in the programming.
I like how you speak on behalf on anyone who would call themselves "casual" But you're probably VERY VERY wrong about this statement.
Nobody is disrespecting Sakurai,
Yuna is.
they are simply criticizing some of the decisions he made while developing the game. Yuna's comments are in no way selfish, arrogant, or elitist. Do you realize that it is equally elitist to criticize competitive players in the way that you have? The comments you make assume that casual players are superior to competitive players in that they don't "waste their lives away," or "just play to have fun." Not once has a competitive player initiated a criticism of casual players.
Its okay to have complaints, and not like Brawl for the 23987532689 time, I am not telling you not to critic Sakurai, I'm telling you to have some respect. Casual's arn't superior to you, just me. Enough with the labelling.

At this point it seems like you're just trying to say whatever you can to contradict the other people in this thread. Maybe it's time you realize that you are in the minority concerning your feelings towards the tiers. Why would the entire competitive community sacrifice a tool that is considered useful to a large percent of the population, just so as not to insult or marginalize the precious few who oppose it?
I stopped talking about tiers already. I just don't care to continue talking about it.

MaximoSmasher

Smash Apprentice
1) Tripping is stupid. Even Casual smashers hate it. The majority of the people I know who have played the game hate it.
Thats like saying all black people like fried chicken, you can't speak on the behalf of alot of people who call themselves "casual" gamers. I can see why alot of people hate it, but instead of whining about it, figure out how it works into your precious METAGAME.

2) He tried to balance the game... and failed miserably in some cases.
I think he did the best he could, WHILE keeping true to the original characters moves, and keeping all the characters VERY different...Like alot of you said it yourselves, there can be no perfect balance in a game with diffrent characters. That's alot to juggle, where's YOUR game if you're so much smarter?

I called him "stupid" and you flamed me for it.
I don't think stupid people should throw the word "stupid" around :)

I'm being "elitist, selfish and arrogant" for pointing out the mistakes he made with the game? Fanboyism hard at work.
Not for pointing out "mistakes" but thinking you know better than him, you call him stupid so you must think you're more intelligent, and basically pissing on a game that you're going to play anyway, AND enjoy....Yeah i think that pretty much covers Elitist, Selfish, and Arrogant.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
You can't reduce Brawl to ONLY a test of skill, There's always somthing at play, character, stage, stock or time limit, multiple players...This game was never meant to even the playing field perfectly, and tripping enforces that. It has nothing to do with casual/ competitive, its people trying to turn brawl into somthing it's not. Fine you don't like Brawl, go play Melee. I'm not going harass you about the things I don't like in Melee, and believe me there are a ton.
True, the game was never meant to be played with a completely even playing field, however that is the sole purpose of competitive play. You may not want to have a match based on skill, and if so, go ahead and ignore all the basic conventions of competitive play. This includes tiers. It simply doesn't apply to you, so there is no reason to complain about it. I never said I don't like Brawl.

From what I understand, you play Melee/Brawl solely as a casual player, with casual friends. If this is true, you have no right to complain about the tier list and berate competitive players. None of this stuff even applies to you!

Reasons that could be for tripping-

1. People stop being so serious about somthing thats supposed to be fun.
Smashboards it the home of competitive smash. The idea is to win. Maybe you should read David Sirlin's article on Playing to Win.

2. Take the edge of the advantage away from flat stage/speed ( like fox )
Not really. Tripping is completely random. It doesn't favor one character over another, and stages have nothing to do with it. See Phanna's test using four wavebirds.

3. Its funny
4. To make you understand a game could still be competitive even with randomn factors.
A game cannot be competitive with a large number of random factors, especially ones with the magnitude of tripping. This is why items were removed, because people were getting screwed over by exploding barrels, and random item spawns.

5. To troll the hell out of people like you.
I don't understand... Are you admitting that you're a troll?

6. Add "improvising" to gameplay, sure your perfect little run combo failed. NOW IMPROVISE.
"Improvisation" is inherent. Wtf is a run combo? The point is that if you have the skill and ability to time button presses properly, the combo shouldn't have failed, and you should be leading. If you trip, you're being punished for executing commands properly. This goes against the entire idea of competitive video games.

7. Give a slight advtantage to Ariel characters ( Like ness/Lucas ) seriously I RARELY trip.
You can trip in the air. Not to mention that you'd be hard pressed to find a pro that exclusively uses aerial attacks and spends 100% of their time in the air.

8. Make the game less about effective running, and more about timed attacks.
The game isn't even about effective running. All of your posts betray the fact that you know and understand little about the Smash metagame. How can accomplish anything without running? Are you saying that you play Smash without ever dashing?

9. Make the game less offensive biased.
The point of a fighting game is to defeat your opponent by going on the offensive, and effectively countering attacks. Are you recommending that people sit and shield at all times for fear of tripping? Now you're just making up reasons to support tripping. You can't honestly believe that tripping is a good thing.

I like how you speak on behalf on anyone who would call themselves "casual" But you're probably VERY VERY wrong about this statement.
I'm "probably VERY VERY wrong" in thinking that casual gamers hate tripping? I'm wrong in assuming that casual gamers hate losing because of a random event they have no control over? Please return to reality.

Its okay to have complaints, and not like Brawl for the 23987532689 time, I am not telling you not to critic Sakurai, I'm telling you to have some respect. Casual's arn't superior to you, just me. Enough with the labelling.
I have never said I don't like Brawl. I also never said that casual gamers are superior to competitive gamers. I'm saying that the comments you have made are equally, if not more, elitist than anything any competitive gamer has said. That's what's known as "hypocrisy."

I stopped talking about tiers already. I just don't care to continue talking about it.
[/QUOTE]
That's how this argument began in the first place. That's what this thread is about! If you don't care to continue talking about it, just stop posting in this thread. Very few people share your opinions.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
no need for that kind of language, *** ****** *******'s annoy the ******* **** out of me.

I reported your post. Why must the idiots come out to play on such a miserable rainy day?
i reported that you are a total noob, suck my balls, they are ready, brawlscrub

shadydentist

Smash Lord
There is absolutely nothing good about tripping. Its indefensibly bad game design to take control away from the player. It doesn't balance anything, it doesn't punish people for doing things the designers didn't intend, what it actually does is just turn the act of walking into a game of Russian roulette.

MaximoSmasher

Smash Apprentice
True, the game was never meant to be played with a completely even playing field, however that is the sole purpose of competitive play. You may not want to have a match based on skill, and if so, go ahead and ignore all the basic conventions of competitive play. This includes tiers. It simply doesn't apply to you, so there is no reason to complain about it. I never said I don't like Brawl.
So the game really wasn't MEANT to be competitive, the players made it that way...Which is totally fine except you'll never even the playing field unless everyone plays the same character....this more or less kills the purpose of smash in the first place. I WILL play in tournaments, so tiers WILL apply to me. I plan to play tournaments CASUALLY...that means not throwing a hissyfit if I died because I tripped.

From what I understand, you play Melee/Brawl solely as a casual player, with casual friends. If this is true, you have no right to complain about the tier list and berate competitive players. None of this stuff even applies to you!
Wrong, I played Melee Casually, with tournament friends...The reason why I didn't play melee competitively because it was an entirely diffrent game than the one *I* enjoyed playing. I didn't pick on people for playing competitively, I just sat Melee out. But if I compete in brawl all this DOES apply to me.

Smashboards it the home of competitive smash. The idea is to win. Maybe you should read David Sirlin's article on Playing to Win.
I don't feel like reading a bible someone else wrote. Maybe you should try being a man, and make your mind up for yourself instead of letting a legion of casual/competitors make up your mind for you.

Not really. Tripping is completely random. It doesn't favor one character over another, and stages have nothing to do with it. See Phanna's test using four wavebirds.
Did you not understand? ...siighhh* ...Okay Characters like Fox are speedy on ground, they lose effectiveness to SOME characters in the air. It dosn't matter if its completely randomn if you don't run around all the time....got me? I play Lucas / Ness / Toon Link and I spend all my time in the air or rolling, or waiting to counter...I don't run much at all...But playing against someone like Ike, they don't cover distance in the air as well so they must run. Hence it DOES favor certain characters....ya with me now?

A game cannot be competitive with a large number of random factors, especially ones with the magnitude of tripping. This is why items were removed, because people were getting screwed over by exploding barrels, and random item spawns.
Blackjack? Poker? Paper Rock Scissors? All have elements of randomn...The point is to take control over the control you DO have. I can understand barrels being too much, but tripping? It's not as bad as exploding barrels...its just somthing you have to adjust to. And if anything its probably balancing in some way.

I don't understand... Are you admitting that you're a troll?
....No. I'm saying a POSSIBLE scenerio is Sakurai felt like picking on the people who would take tripping so seriously.

"Improvisation" is inherent. Wtf is a run combo? The point is that if you have the skill and ability to time button presses properly, the combo shouldn't have failed, and you should be leading. If you trip, you're being punished for executing commands properly. This goes against the entire idea of competitive video games.
Dosn't matter how much skill, or how hard you work sometimes things go wrong. So instead of falling and crying you pick yourself up, quickly think how to make up for your loss and move on. Stop asking for skill to be rewarded in a game...If you want a reward, get a job, get good at it and get a raise. Nintendo nowadays almost never makes a game where you are harshly punished for mistakes, and the elite are hansomely rewarded. They don't want such a gap in their games, and I can see why.

You can trip in the air. Not to mention that you'd be hard pressed to find a pro that exclusively uses aerial attacks and spends 100% of their time in the air.
I've never tripped in the air. ...So if it DOES exist, it is not the same ratio of air tripping. Uhhh, thats because most PROS use melee characters that were good on the ground. Try finding good Ness players, that backdrop kick is important.

The game isn't even about effective running. All of your posts betray the fact that you know and understand little about the Smash metagame. How can accomplish anything without running? Are you saying that you play Smash without ever dashing?
Not anymore it isn't, in Melee, zooming back and forth wether dashing or wavedashing was PRETTY important don't you think? ...I don't NOT run, I just don't run often. How can I accomplish anything? Let my enemy come to me, approach in the air, projectile, those are 3 things I do alot that don't involve running.

The point of a fighting game is to defeat your opponent by going on the offensive, and effectively countering attacks. Are you recommending that people sit and shield at all times for fear of tripping? Now you're just making up reasons to support tripping. You can't honestly believe that tripping is a good thing.
Uh, i played streetfighter only using counter attacks, and it works pretty well. I do like how you are trying to put words in my mouth. ...I'm saying maybe your short hopping, air game, and counter attacks will be more important than going offensive. I didn't say it was a good thing (it might be? hell if i know ), I'm just not so stupid to think they put it in a game without a purpose....Seriously it sounds really ignorant when you say they made Tripping for no reason. And so far I have found a few reasons tripping can be used to my advantage.

I'm "probably VERY VERY wrong" in thinking that casual gamers hate tripping? I'm wrong in assuming that casual gamers hate losing because of a random event they have no control over? Please return to reality.
If someone is CASUAL, why would they freak out over losing 1/300 times to tripping? , especcially if they play with items on...Get a clue dude.

I have never said I don't like Brawl.
I didn't say you did.
I also never said that casual gamers are superior to competitive gamers.
I don't remember saying you said that.

I'm saying that the comments you have made are equally, if not more, elitist than anything any competitive gamer has said. That's what's known as "hypocrisy."
You moron, learn the diffrence between "some" and "all" there's a big diffrence and you sound like a ******* when you say " oh your worse than any competitive gamer" "all casuals like spagetti" "scrubs love to watch happy days" .

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
lol this thread is now a flame fest.

You guys know that people don't read posts that contain 1000s of quotes, right? And that you're not impressing anyone by doing so?

Also:

You are a complete idiot. Please think about what you type before you type it.

This is the kind of assuming elitest wannabe moron that is bred around here. You guys should do somthing about it.
Maximo, if you don't get something, just ask. Covering it up by calling people idiots just makes you look like... ahhh.. .well, you know.

EDIT: Oops, I implied that Maximo is intelligent and that he could figure out what I meant by saying "you know," but I quickly realized my error, and shall now take measures to redeem myself.

Maximo, you are an idiot.

Again, flame-fest.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
So the game really wasn't MEANT to be competitive, the players made it that way...Which is totally fine except you'll never even the playing field unless everyone plays the same character....this more or less kills the purpose of smash in the first place. I WILL play in tournaments, so tiers WILL apply to me. I plan to play tournaments CASUALLY...that means not throwing a hissyfit if I died because I tripped.
Sakurai didn't intend for the game to be competitively, but that doesn't prevent it from being true. Do you think they developed the first Street Fighter with the intent of making anything more than a fun, multiplayer fighting game?

Have you ever even seen a pro match? There are few tournaments I've been to where the final match is played with the same character. Playing tournaments casually is fine, but you shouldn't assume that everyone is like you and doesn't care if they die because they trip. Most people who enter tournaments are there to compete, and want to win at all costs. Try and get this through your head.

Wrong, I played Melee Casually, with tournament friends...The reason why I didn't play melee competitively because it was an entirely diffrent game than the one *I* enjoyed playing. I didn't pick on people for playing competitively, I just sat Melee out. But if I compete in brawl all this DOES apply to me.
I don't even know how to respond to this. You are such an unbelievable idiot, it's hard to say anything at all. How do you not understand? Tiers will always exist, whether you like it or not. If you want to ignore them, that's great. If you choose to base your character decision on it, that's fine too. But if you plan on playing competitively, you need to understand how competitive gaming works, and it's painfully obvious that you don't.

I don't feel like reading a bible someone else wrote. Maybe you should try being a man, and make your mind up for yourself instead of letting a legion of casual/competitors make up your mind for you.
David Sirlin is one of the most respected competitive fighting game players in the world. He knows much more than you or I about fighting games and balance. Instead of bickering and complaining about tiers, you should read his articles and understand that this is the way all fighting games work. I was merely trying to inform you so that you stop making a fool of yourself in this thread.

Did you not understand? ...siighhh* ...Okay Characters like Fox are speedy on ground, they lose effectiveness to SOME characters in the air. It dosn't matter if its completely randomn if you don't run around all the time....got me? I play Lucas / Ness / Toon Link and I spend all my time in the air or rolling, or waiting to counter...I don't run much at all...But playing against someone like Ike, they don't cover distance in the air as well so they must run. Hence it DOES favor certain characters....ya with me now?
Again you prove you know nothing about Smash's metagame. How does Fox lose effectiveness to characters in the air because he's speedy in the ground? Fox has some of the best aerials in the game because they have little startup and ending lag. That's besides the point.

The point is, to play well, you need to know how to use all effective attacks. For most characters, this means using your tilts and smashes. In order to access these attacks, you need to be on the ground. How many characters have aerial kill moves? All characters will spend a majority of their time on the ground, so tripping, a random event, affects all characters approximately the same amount.

Blackjack? Poker? Paper Rock Scissors? All have elements of randomn...The point is to take control over the control you DO have. I can understand barrels being too much, but tripping? It's not as bad as exploding barrels...its just somthing you have to adjust to. And if anything its probably balancing in some way.
Two card games predicated upon luck, and Rock-Paper-Scissors. Blackjack and Poker are played competitively, but they do not, in any way, apply to this conversation. I'm talking about competitive videogames. A better analogy would be some sort of martial arts match. If two people of equal strength fight each other, and one is forced to trip by an outside force, he will lose. One fighter is being punished for doing nothing wrong. In a competitive environment, this is unacceptable. Tournament play is based on skill, not some twisted code of honor you dreamed up.

....No. I'm saying a POSSIBLE scenerio is Sakurai felt like picking on the people who would take tripping so seriously.
A game developer never intentionally tries to marginalize a group of potential customers. That's some of the most ridiculous logic I've ever heard.

Dosn't matter how much skill, or how hard you work sometimes things go wrong. So instead of falling and crying you pick yourself up, quickly think how to make up for your loss and move on. Stop asking for skill to be rewarded in a game...If you want a reward, get a job, get good at it and get a raise. Nintendo nowadays almost never makes a game where you are harshly punished for mistakes, and the elite are hansomely rewarded. They don't want such a gap in their games, and I can see why.
Why the hell wouldn't I want skill to be rewarded in a competitive game? That's the entire point of competitive gaming! A more skilled player will prevail over a less skilled player and advance. That's how it works.

At the highest level are there small margins of difference in skill. I urge you to watch some videos between top pros like Azen and Ken. Ken is considered the world champion, but top pros like Azen are able to beat him thanks to occasional, simple human error. Tripping is much more significant than human error. Through practice, human error can be reduced. Tripping can never be removed.

I've never tripped in the air. ...So if it DOES exist, it is not the same ratio of air tripping. Uhhh, thats because most PROS use melee characters that were good on the ground. Try finding good Ness players, that backdrop kick is important.
Cross-apply my answer from above. Pros don't just use Melee characters that work on the ground. I main Fox and Marth, both of which have incredibly strong aerial games. If you played competitively, you'd understand this.

No Ness pros? Have you seen Simna Ibn Sind? The reason Ness was underused in Melee was because of a huge number of pitfalls. He had a tiny grab range, his Up-B is easy to anticipate and doesn't even work on a number of stages, his special moves come out really slowly, his U-smash and D-smash were incredibly nerfed from 64, and PKThunder2 has too much ending lag to be viable as an attack. Despite these downsides, top players like CaptainJack are able to use him well, because of their inherent Smash ability. However, at the top level of play, CaptainJack playing Ness will rarely, if ever, be able to beat someone of equal ability playing Sheik. This is why tier lists were formed.

(That was a confusing analogy, considering CJ mains Sheik, but you get the point)

Not anymore it isn't, in Melee, zooming back and forth wether dashing or wavedashing was PRETTY important don't you think? ...I don't NOT run, I just don't run often. How can I accomplish anything? Let my enemy come to me, approach in the air, projectile, those are 3 things I do alot that don't involve running.

Uh, i played streetfighter only using counter attacks, and it works pretty well. I do like how you are trying to put words in my mouth. ...I'm saying maybe your short hopping, air game, and counter attacks will be more important than going offensive. I didn't say it was a good thing (it might be? hell if i know ), I'm just not so stupid to think they put it in a game without a purpose....Seriously it sounds really ignorant when you say they made Tripping for no reason. And so far I have found a few reasons tripping can be used to my advantage.
If that's true, then you must be terrible at Street Fighter. Visit Shoryuken and see how advanced the Street Fighter metagame is.

I never put any words in your mouth.

Again, you prove you don't understand Smash Bros. SH/FF is the main approach when going on the offensive Smash Bros. You SH->aerial->FF->SH->aerial->FF to rack up damage. I can think of few situations when you'd SH in order to defend.... How is 'air game' a defensive tactic? Air game means ability to combo in the air, and maneuverability while airborne.

Only two characters in Melee had counter attacks.

I'm ignorant because I say tripping is bad? Please grow up. There is not one person besides yourself that likes tripping. If anything, I'd say you are ignorant of the general consensus of this board.

If someone is CASUAL, why would they freak out over losing 1/300 times to tripping? , especcially if they play with items on...Get a clue dude.
I'm not saying they'd freak out, I'm saying that it's ridiculous to claim that casual players will actually like tripping. Nobody likes losing.

I didn't say you did.

I don't remember saying you said that.
I beg to differ:
MaximoSmasher: Its okay to have complaints, and not like Brawl for the 23987532689 time
It sounds like you're accusing me of disliking Brawl. If I misinterpreted your post, I apologize.

You moron, learn the diffrence between "some" and "all" there's a big diffrence and you sound like a ******* when you say " oh your worse than any competitive gamer" "all casuals like spagetti" "scrubs love to watch happy days" .
How is that even related to what I said? I was just kritiking your elitist comments towards competitive gamers. It's a bold statement to say that any player that plays Smash casually can beat competitive players that have invested hours and hours of time into developing their tournament play.

Smo

Smash Journeyman
tires don exits, naturally

Tiers are based on tourney results...
if a character generally does wlell in tourneys, then he/she should be high on the tier list.

Logic enough?

kamekasu please keep owning this guy. He's another person who thinks that competitive players are super elitist when as a casual gamer he's being just as elitist himself.

Negative Zero

Smash Apprentice
I don't feel like reading you argue on behalf of people that may or may not exist. Maybe you should try being a man, and argue with yourself instead of arguing with us?

I suppose that you at least have consistency. You say that it's unmanly to listen to other people, and you've completely ignored all the logic and truth that's been spoken to you in this topic. I give you props for consistency on that count.

marthownsxd

Smash Apprentice
You obviously do not know what the meaning of the word "Tier List" is. Tier lists exist for all games (fighter or not). The only way for a game to not have a tierlist would to have all of the characters be exactly the same.
I think Yuna just owned you Remian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom