• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Got the Most Potential?

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Of the three lowest characters in the Tier List (Ganondorf, Link, and Captain Falcon) who do you think has the most potential to rise in the future? I'll bet at Ganondorf. The people on those boards are desperately trying to find new tricks with him. And they usually find the interesting tidbit here and there, or sometimes somewhat larger discoveries. Eventually, they might just come across something big. Heck, they just found some way to get a gauranteed KO on MK at 77%.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Well, this is from pure observation.
Link supposedly got such a low part in the Tier list because of his horrible recovery, so unless all or most of the Link Brawl players find ways to kick serious *** and not die as hard, he's gonna stay.

Ganondorf, uh... well.
I don't see why he's low tier, he's (should be) borderline middle, I've seen good Ganon players in Brawl, he's not bad. He can kick *** and hard, good recovery, with proper timing just about any attack can hit, Ganon just needs a chance, I'm sure he'll get up there, probably to the bottom of high tier.

Falcon man...
I seriously don't see why he is statistically the worst character in Brawl, yeah, the list is narrow, but he shouldn't even be on it. He's still strong, good movement, great in team matches.
He plays just about the same as he did in Melee, the timing and placing of his knee is a bit different, but it isn't hard to adjust.
Captian Falcon will definitely go higher, this I'm sure.

Satyrium

Smash Cadet
It's between Link and Ganon. Captain Falcon is pretty much ringed out as far as I'm concerned. Ganondorf's hit range allows for some cool combos to be found and link's hook shot + gale boomerang carry serious potential.

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
My roomie mains Luigi and he's low as f on the the tier list. How much he plays Luigi and how strong Luigi is in so many different areas I think he will go up. He has a great recovery and ability to punish. He has good priority in the air... he has lots of great combo ability... and the people who main him try really hard to rep him. He's a great char and deserves to be higher so he will move up in the future for sure.

Out of those 3 though... I think Ganon has the most potential because of his KO'ing ability. He has decent reach on a lot of moves too. He's really nothing compared to what he was in melee but he has potential.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Link has a buttload of ATs and can be a serious mindgamer on the stage, but his lack of a good recovery is what is really pushing him down. Seriously, all you have to do is shove him back a bit after knocking him off the stage and he's done. That just can't be ignored. (Although bomb jump can fix this, but that has yet to be fully perfected)

Don't know much about Ganon, so I can't comment fully, but if they can find a way to make him not so prone to being comboed then he'll push higher.

As for the Capt... it's hard to say. It really depends if the players can find a reliable way to rack up damage and KO. As far as I know, he has no awesome way to do that since the Epic Knee is dead, but I wouldn't throw him out of the picture just yet.

DSP

Smash Apprentice
Well, I've experimented with all three of them, and I have to say that Link has the most theoretical potential, close to Ganondorf.
If you play Link correctly (which means PERFECT spacing and PERFECT use of mediocre projectiles as well as PERFECT use of laggy close range attacks), you might actually be able to win, although no amount of skill can overcome such a bad recovery. Ganondorf is able to compensate for his weaknesses with some good dmgbuilders (AC'd Dair!) and some quick, surprising attacks with good range (SPARTA), but he's screwed against spammy characters. Captain Falcon has the least potential of those three, I think. His strength (speed) cannot compensate for his crappy hitboxes, priority, damage and lack of safe kill moves.
But of course, I might be totally wrong and overseeing important things.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
See: Legan, Izaw, Deva

Link players can really impress me at times. I say Link.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Falcon man...
I seriously don't see why he is statistically the worst character in Brawl, yeah, the list is narrow, but he shouldn't even be on it. He's still strong, good movement, great in team matches.
He plays just about the same as he did in Melee, the timing and placing of his knee is a bit different, but it isn't hard to adjust.
Crappy priority, crappy hit boxes...

His Falcon Punch has as much priority as Yoshi's Side B, and the Falcon Kick is easily hit out of by quite a few characters...

Falcon is just rock bottom, thanks to that biased ****, Sakurai.

He does not play like Melee.
Go to the Captain Falcon forums and ask why if you're still confused.

:p

Zenthewanderer

Smash Apprentice
In recent times I've become more impressed by Ganon, but I still have my doubts about him. Overall, I'd go with Link. He has a variety of techniques, is capable in long & short range combat unlike the other two, and he is technically a spot above them both- so, yeah. If only his recovery didn't hinder him so...

I don't have much to say on Captain Falcon. I rarely play as him, so I lack the experience to comment on his potential.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Idea.

Falcon man...
?_?

Ask anyone who actually mains Brawl Falcon if he plays anywhere near the same as he did in Melee.

Ask any good Falcon player how often he will try for a knee kill.

Part of the problem is that, like Peach and Sheik, the character changes call for a different playstyle. I did a playstyle survey on the Falcon boards back in April-May, and basically, people realized that they were trying to play as Melee Falcon in Brawl, and that's why they were sucking so much.

Falcon suffers similar problems to Sonic (and less common now), Peach and Sheik, community-wise. People think they know how their playstyle is (for Sonic "lol it's all based on grounded spindash and U-air", Peach "omg she sux her dsmash doesnt wurkkk", and Sheik "lolzz needles sux") and try to rate them or whatever.

Frown

poekmon
Ganondorf. Sometimes, after winning several matches in a row, I say "Ah, whatever", and choose Ganondorf. But I'm surprised at how much power the guy has. Anything he does causes a crapload of damage and all of his moves except for maybe upB can kill. All that's needed is a little bit more of thinking what's gonna happen the next second.

Smash Apprentice
As a Falcon main I can tell you that Falcon has the lowest potential of those 3, he might be somewhat good if you really master him, but he lacks some reliable killingmove.

It's a close race between link and ganny I'd say.
Link offers tons of possibilities with all those AT's and he's killing better than his Toonbro.
The only bad thing is that no skill and AT in the world can compensate his supercrap-recovery.
I remember this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWMen9KvflM what showed me pretty well what link is capable of.

About Ganon:
For me he is one of the few characters that surprise me again and again in some matches.
When playing vs. him you gotta be very, very, very careful what move you choose, because he will punish every mistake brutally, mostly resulting in death or at least 20%.
He can kill at extremely low percents and his Dair is just so easy to land and spikes at 10%.
Anyway, every of his moves (except UpB and grabs maybe) can kill very early in relation to others, most terrible is probably Dash attack killing at ~120%.
If you just play him the right, really defensive and passive way he can be really strong and turn a match withing seconds.
Still he has some serious problem against projectile-whores

•Col•

Smash Champion
I'm going with Link... He has a lot of AT's and stuff... =P

There are some really good Link players out there already...

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
No one said Ice Climbers? Ice Climbers are nothing BUT potential!
I know, I was surprised to.

Of the three, like others I would say Link/Gannon. Good Gannondorf players are scary because they can auto-cancel their nasty aerials and have overall massive KO power (Dair...*shudders*), and Link seems to be full of potential IMO. His moveset isn't really that bad, but unfortunately no matter how good you are, his recovery is a huge thorn in your side and it takes a lot to make up for that.

Luigi player

Smash Master
A topic like this is in the tactical discussion forum... Probably everyone said ICs there.

Anyway, I'd say ICs, Sonic, Diddy, ...

KillaFrmNY

Smash Ace
I would have to say link for a few reasons. For one hes actually a pretty decent charcter and would probably be a much higher tier if his recovery wasnt as bad as Sakurai's melee skills. Another reason is that hes does good against some high tiers, such as Dk and King dedede, i dont think ganon or falcon really stand a chance against a high tier.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
Notice how weaker Links projectiles are here than in his game. His claw shot would go as far as samus's, his arrows dont take time to shoot, they got instantly. Well you get the picture Sakurai, made the spin attack chargable to make it "seemingly" stronger, but he was nerfing it hard core. Sakurai wants Link nerfed most of all because, lets face it he has the biggest fan base of all time and Sakurai wants the attention on kirby

Top Bottom