• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Okay, so I haven't been here for awhile and it's apparent to me that nobody sees how strong Sonic is. Please, I would love to show you why you're wrong. I am a Sonic fan, obviously, but I'm not going to let that bias dictate my view, and it's apparent to me you aren't cutting him the slack he deserves. He won't be the highest of high tiers, he's not at the top, but he's definitely around the same area, if not less than Samus (Samus would most likely win, but I'm not sure on her 100%).

Also ... omnipotence? Can I get a citation on that?

And omnipotence is not collectively omnipresence, omnibenevolence and omniscience. Those are seperate. omnipotence just means all powerful. God would be all four things, but then theres the Problem of Evil and .... yeah none of this Philosophy in my smash.

I'm avid on Zelda too, and I can say Ganondorf/Ganon is the top, for reasons already specified.

So yeah, why is Sonic so bad and where would you rank him?

T

Trick or Treat

Sonic has both an advantage and a disadvantage.

Rings.

As long as he has those, he's immortal!

But if he's broke, then he's pretty much screwed.

Super Sonic is cool and apparently he can Chaos Control, but I definitely wouldn't put him at the top.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy

Rings.

Super Sonic is cool and apparently he can Chaos Control, but I definitely wouldn't put him at the top.
No, not top. But up there. I don't know the stance on rings, because if we incorporate them then Mario can use mushrooms and Link can pick up hearts etc and they'll die in a couple hits. As for Super Sonic, I think it should just have a time limit that's fair for discussion. He can wreck alot of the cast and even the upper tiers as Super Sonic but normal Sonic would be subpar.

And he's fast as balls. Which is good lol.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Super sonic is:
Immortal, touch damage, flight, , space travel, super speed, teleportation, time stop.

He doesn't necessarily need any rings to survive in space or teleport.

Yeah most characters can't even scratch that kind of power.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'll just... put this here.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/god-and-gold-cloth-saints-saint-seiya-vs-giygas-1535302/

tl:dr, story-wise, Ness is technically at or approaching potential Universe-destroying power. Besides that, he literally created an entire world / dimension with his mind, one that was certainly real enough that he could bring items out of it. That feat pretty much puts him on the same level of power as the Golden Goddesses from Zelda.

To those who've said Mewtwo is stronger than Ness - he isn't. Mewtwo could, at his absolute best, destroy a planet. Ness can tank hits from a being that can destroy a Universe, and has nearly that much destructive power of his own.

And I saw something about Ness' telepathic abilities a couple of pages ago. He can, of course, talk to people telepathically and also has experience fighting on a mental level, IE in Magicant, the dimension he created within his mind where he fought quite a few enemies mentally.

He's also insanely strong physically. He beat a dog made of diamond to death with his bat. And he can tank getting stepped on by dinosaurs easily.

I'd say him, Sonic, Mewtwo, Samus, Ganondorf, Bowser, Kirby and Pit are the top characters here.

I'd only place Sonic (due to Super Sonic), Bowser (invincibility via Star Rod), and Ganondorf (due to immortality) at the same level as Ness.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I forgot my super ultra mega post on Pit earlier? Oh well. I'll do it another time when Pit matchup happens.

T

Trick or Treat

Super sonic is:
Immortal, touch damage, flight, , space travel, super speed, teleportation, time stop.

But his Super Sonic power is still limited by rings. If he runs out of rings, he loses Super Sonic.

At least, canonically, that is.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Super sonic is:

COUGH COUGH COUGH LINK, ZELDA, GANNONDORF ALL THROUGH TRIFORCE AND TIME TRAVEL THROUGH VARIOUS MEANS, PIT"S GREAT SACRED TREASURE, PALUTENA BEING A GOD, ALSO MARIO HAS SURVIVED IN SPACE TOO, NOT TO FORGET SAMUS COUGH COUGH COUGH. Whew those were some massive coughs, perhaps I'm getting sick.

josh bones

Smash Lord
COUGH COUGH COUGH LINK, ZELDA, GANNONDORF ALL THROUGH TRIFORCE AND TIME TRAVEL THROUGH VARIOUS MEANS, PIT"S GREAT SACRED TREASURE, PALUTENA BEING A GOD, ALSO MARIO HAS SURVIVED IN SPACE TOO, NOT TO FORGET SAMUS COUGH COUGH COUGH. Whew those were some massive coughs, perhaps I'm getting sick.
Need a cough dropicus? Also luigi vs puff discussion plz

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I posted this many pages ago far far away about Sonics perfectly canon and non biased abilities.

Sonic - It's not placed how fast he can go, but Sonic has surpassed speeds of Mach 1, and not just by Sonic lyrics. In game gives us he clocks in at speeds at about 765 m/h. In Sonic Unleashed, checkpoints give you a look of how fast you're going, and a max boost, he moves at 2,500mph. There are other examples of higher speeds but those are just ambiguous manuals and in game descriptions. He has incredible reflexes on top of all this. He shows superhuman strength as he is able to tear through battleships, robots and natural masses. His downside is his impatience and cockiness, but this also lends him an iron will. I imagine Ganondorf or Mewtwo would be able to capitalize on these traits to their advantage. Also, Sonic (given the chaos emeralds) has the ability to go Super Sonic. Super Sonic allows Sonic near invincibility, but it is on a timer based on how many rings he has. Given the mixed nature of this, we'll give him 50 to start if he chooses to use it (usually starts with this many in canon). Super Sonic can break light speed ... so yeah, that's a thing. However, for whatever reason, Sonic can't swim. Lately he is able to use his spin jump in water to continue an active jump so this has become less an issue. Oh yes, Sonic can also use Chaos Control, which allows him to stop time to warp. Lately he doesn't do this. However, it is shown to be able to warp back in time.
Edit: Luigi vs. Puff. Luigi wouldn't hurt puff he'd chicken out! Loljk that was a bad one. Hmm, I'd say Luigi would do his fair share after he got his wits with him. What level would Jiggs be and what are his/her abilities?

Last edited:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Yeah link, zelda. and Ganondorf don't just poof into different time periods.

Also yay space! Glad you could name a few. Get a lozenge and quit smokin the green. It's got you trippin'.

I'm starting to remember why I haven't been to this thread in a while....

Last edited:

DarkDream

Smash Apprentice
I'm gunna go with MegaMan as a fanboy and try and back it up. Homeboy can create miniature black holes, can shoot charged solar particles, rain asteroids from space, stop time in at least 3 different ways, one of which leaves others unaware that he even stopped time at all, he has super strength, can create tornados, has swords of fire, so many different kinds of shields, and that's still not all of the 100 something weapons he has.

And I don't even want to hear about spikes. The only reason the spikes insta kill in the games is because either A- They're wired to a power source and contact unleashes all of that power to a single point, or B- they're sharpened to the molecular level and are just an exponential fraction too dull to split atoms, which is still sharp enough to eviscerate pretty much any form of matter out there.

He got too much power behind that little blue frame. Watchout.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Yeah link, zelda. and Ganondorf don't just poof into different time periods.

Also yay space! Glad you could name a few. Get a lozenge and quit smokin the green. It's got you trippin'.

I'm starting to remember why I haven't been to this thread in a while....
Um skyward sword time gates, oracle of ages the time rod, ocarina of time the master sword, also Link can travel between dimensions. But for yoshi vs. pikachu, yoshi. In the yoshi island series there is no way yoshi himself can be physically harmed, besides death by pit

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
I'll just... put this here.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/god-and-gold-cloth-saints-saint-seiya-vs-giygas-1535302/

tl:dr, story-wise, Ness is technically at or approaching potential Universe-destroying power. Besides that, he literally created an entire world / dimension with his mind, one that was certainly real enough that he could bring items out of it. That feat pretty much puts him on the same level of power as the Golden Goddesses from Zelda.

To those who've said Mewtwo is stronger than Ness - he isn't. Mewtwo could, at his absolute best, destroy a planet. Ness can tank hits from a being that can destroy a Universe, and has nearly that much destructive power of his own.

And I saw something about Ness' telepathic abilities a couple of pages ago. He can, of course, talk to people telepathically and also has experience fighting on a mental level, IE in Magicant, the dimension he created within his mind where he fought quite a few enemies mentally.

He's also insanely strong physically. He beat a dog made of diamond to death with his bat. And he can tank getting stepped on by dinosaurs easily.

I'd say him, Sonic, Mewtwo, Samus, Ganondorf, Bowser, Kirby and Pit are the top characters here.

I'd only place Sonic (due to Super Sonic), Bowser (invincibility via Star Rod), and Ganondorf (due to immortality) at the same level as Ness.
Yeah I would agree with you on this.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Um skyward sword time gates, oracle of ages the time rod, ocarina of time the master sword, also Link can travel between dimensions.
You didn't understand the "poof" part. Sure link has been known to travel dimensions/time with temples, gates, etc. But none of that is instant and doesn't help him in a fight where he only has a split second to react.

Just because I disagree doesn't mean I don't know zelda.

TheBlackLink

Smash Cadet
Game canon Captain Falcon gained the Belt of the Champion and then destroyed the creators of the universe.
Anime canon Captain Falcon is the embodiment of light/justice and is essentially an aspect of the universe; also he survived that galactic explosion from point blank range.

Take your pick.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
...All these characters are made of plastic. Why are you people comparing them to the real things?

It pretty much boils down to Masterhand and/or Crazyhand vs. Tabuu.

josh bones

Smash Lord
...All these characters are made of plastic. Why are you people comparing them to the real things?

It pretty much boils down to Masterhand and/or Crazyhand vs. Tabuu.
BAHAHA No
Canonically, nobody is trophies therefore offwaves are useless, I'm pretty sure that, unless your these guys::pichumelee::rob::popo::olimar:, u can beat all 3 of them

Shin F.

Smash Master
But what about Lucas' PK Starstorm trophy description where it says Kumatora taught him her moves when he learned he would be in Brawl? And Ness', where it says Poo probably taught it to him for Smash. That seems like evidence that they are the real characters, just in a world where they become trophies rather than dying when defeated.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

Rings.

I think Super Sonic's close to 1st place, he has literally defeated gods and he's so epic that an epic theme song plays whenever he transforms.
On another note, I guess Samus can be considered super-powerful, and Ganondorf...probably Pit too (He has defeated a god with a super-form) Rosalina can be considered super-powerful too, I mean, destroying the entire universe and then redoing the big bang to make a new, identical one is no small feat, although she technically didn't do it by herself. Bowser also has lots of power, he has access to dark magic, super strength, the ability to make himself enormous, an entire army, battleships, tanks, airships, the guy's just a bit of a bad architect...

T

Trick or Treat

I think Super Sonic's close to 1st place, he has literally defeated gods and he's so epic that an epic theme song plays whenever he transforms.
On another note, I guess Samus can be considered super-powerful, and Ganondorf...probably Pit too (He has defeated a god with a super-form) Rosalina can be considered super-powerful too, I mean, destroying the entire universe and then redoing the big bang to make a new, identical one is no small feat, although she technically didn't do it by herself. Bowser also has lots of power, he has access to dark magic, super strength, the ability to make himself enormous, an entire army, battleships, tanks, airships, the guy's just a bit of a bad architect...
A lot of Sonic's major victories haven't been alone, though. If I remember correctly, he worked with both Shadow and Silver in Sonic 06. He required EVERYONE's help to beat Metal Sonic in Sonic Heroes. He needed Shadow's help in SA2 against...I forget its name.

I didn't play Secret Rings, Black Knight, nor did I finish Unleashed, so I don't know how those final bosses went down.

Also, Bowser's army may have quantity but definitely not quality.

JediLink

Smash Ace
A lot of Sonic's major victories haven't been alone, though. If I remember correctly, he worked with both Shadow and Silver in Sonic 06. He required EVERYONE's help to beat Metal Sonic in Sonic Heroes. He needed Shadow's help in SA2 against...I forget its name.

I didn't play Secret Rings, Black Knight, nor did I finish Unleashed, so I don't know how those final bosses went down.
You've got a point. Sonic is pretty reliant on the REAL SUPER POWER OF TEAMWORK.

FYI, he had help in Unleashed as well, from Light Gaia. I'm pretty sure he soloed it in Secret Rings. No idea about Black Knight. And the final boss of SA2 was called the Biolizard/Final Hazard.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Saying that sonic is weak without the power of friendship is a stretch. I guess link doesn't need the help of his Demi gods or gods. Let's just strip that away right now. Ganondorf needs demise to be strong throw him out the window! Lucas and ness need there team to win. Ness guaranteed would be dead without Paula. Let's not get to hasty on this sonic needs help thing. He needs way less than some of these "top tier" characters.

If anything sonic is more like hey help me out so I don't have to work as hard.

Although ness is pretty strong. Link I'm not sold on. Fans give him to much cred.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Ness guaranteed would be dead without Paula.
Actually, if Paula is dead in the Giygas battle, Ness can play her role, so he'd be fine :p But yeah, I wouldn't count Sonic as being any weaker just because he uses help. He carried his weight in those fights. He might not have won, but he might have.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm still betting on Pit. After all, if Sonic's Super Sonic form counts, the Three Sacred Treasures should as well.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Actually, if Paula is dead in the Giygas battle, Ness can play her role, so he'd be fine :p But yeah, I wouldn't count Sonic as being any weaker just because he uses help. He carried his weight in those fights. He might not have won, but he might have.
Huh I did not know that about earthbound. Nice!
Most charcters have some help here and there. I think it's just easy to pick sonic out because "friendship is power!" Lol

The chaos emeralds power, as far as we know is just about boundless. Just throwing that out there.

I'm still betting on Pit. After all, if Sonic's Super Sonic form counts, the Three Sacred Treasures should as well.
Sure why not? Give him some better weapons and a mirror shield. When we talk about samus we throw in her good stuff. Links the wierd on since not all links are the same making an amalgam strange and presumptuous IMO. That's besides the point of this though.

I have a question for the pit followers here. What makes pit so formidable?

I just looked at his bio and read up on his treasures stuff... I didn't see anything amazing. Pretty good at best.

All I got is kid Icarus for the nes..... Lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom