• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WHOBO 5 - Mk banned! - October 19-20th, 2013 - Houston, Tx - 1 DAYS LEFT! PLEASE BRING SET-UPS!

tacos

Smash Journeyman
MM fliphopper?

I am also down for LA vs TX, just as long as 4 other texans go. lol

also will 64 1v1 be on saturday or sunday?

edit: meant texans for 64

Tesh

Smash Hero
MM fliphopper?

I'm not sure if anyone else from TX will be at this...

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
MM fliphopper?

However many players we can scrounge up is fine with me. I would think the obvious minimum is 3, unless teams are now crews. :p

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Just want to give a wrap up of whats going down and whats at stake for Whobo 5!

- 1000$ Money Match Main Event between Bomber Vs 5 Players (Player 4/Xyro/Pj/NickRiddle/Esam)
- 1st place Crystal Trophy awarded to brawl singles champion!
- 1st place Medals awarded to all champions for all games!
- 500$ Pot Bonus to brawl
- Prizes (To be announced)

Looking forward to seeing who will take home all of this come Oct 19-20!

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I have had a decent amount of people contact me on SWF/FB asking me to make WHOBO 5 MK legal. Normally i wouldn't even think about doing such a thing but since i will not be doing any more brawl events after WHOBO 5 i MIGHT be willing to bend a little. So i have a question for EVERYBODY, I have a question for all of you possibly thinking about attending WHOBO and those of you already signed up for WHOBO. Would you kiddies be ok if i allowed MK in one event (maybe 2vs2?)?

NOTHING is confirmed to be changing as of now (whobo 5 is still mk banned all the way) but i was wondering if the public would be willing to allow batman to sneak into an event (example: 2vs2). If you want this or something like it, quote my post and tell me what you want.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I have had a decent amount of people contact me on SWF/FB asking me to make WHOBO 5 MK legal. Normally i wouldn't even think about doing such a thing but since i will not be doing any more brawl events after WHOBO 5 i MIGHT be willing to bend a little. So i have a question for EVERYBODY, I have a question for all of you possibly thinking about attending WHOBO and those of you already signed up for WHOBO. Would you kiddies be ok if i allowed MK in one event (maybe 2vs2?)?

NOTHING is confirmed to be changing as of now (whobo 5 is still mk banned all the way) but i was wondering if the public would be willing to allow batman to sneak into an event (example: 2vs2). If you want this or something like it, quote my post and tell me what you want.
I would sign up and go to WHOBO if MK is legal in teams

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
i would go if mk were legal in singles :p

but otherwise the money to travel isn't a sound investment in the middle of my last semester in college

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Make MK legal in singles, the game is in its twilight competitively and MK hasn't won the last 2 nationals (SKTAR2 and Apex 2013).

WHOBO should go out with a bang and that means allowing it to have as big of a turn out as possible.

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
Make MK legal in singles, the game is in its twilight competitively and MK hasn't won the last 2 nationals (SKTAR2 and Apex 2013).

WHOBO should go out with a bang and that means allowing it to have as big of a turn out as possible.
I really want to play against you. If you show up to WHOBO, let's do a $50 plus TAX MM in 64. Best of 7.

EDIT: "plus tax" means that you give up your controller when you lose too.

Xyro77

It's never been about MK winning an entire tournament <_<

Anyways, I just wanna know people's opinions on the issus. Some people have already bought plane tickets under the assumption MK is banned and it would be F-ed up if I changed the rule on them so late in the game.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer

As someone who already bought a plane ticket and paid for entry into Brawl singles under the assumption that it would be running Unity stages and no MK, I would be pretty upset if you were to suddenly allow MK in Brawl singles. I'd assume the same holds true for someone who signed up for Brawl doubles under the same impression if you were to add MK into doubles.

I mean, you're the TO and I trust your judgment to do what you gotta do to make WHOBO5 the best it can be, but there are enough MK-legal nationals anyways. Like, oh idk, all of them aside from WHOBO lol. Allowing MK will take away one of the main things that makes WHOBO a unique national experience, and while you might be appealing to a broader crowd a lot of die-hards that you originally catered to might be disappointed and withdraw their support.

What's the reason you're thinking of changing the ruleset anyways, just for more attendance? You're already covering entry for known MK mains, and it's not like they don't have a bunch of other MK-legal tournaments that they can attend.

:059:

Tesh

Smash Hero

If you change your mind about the rules, you will be offering refunds right? I might still go hang at the venue, but I'd need my event entries refunded.

I hope you realize you can't make everyone happy. I don't even get why people are complaining when they've had it their way for the majority of 5 years. Perhaps WHOBO can give people something they can't get anywhere else.

Maybe I have a selfish perspective here, maybe more people would happy with him legal (alot of pro-bans have long since left the community anyway) and maybe it would be bigger with MK legal. Personally the event is ruined for me at that point. If attendance is the biggest factor for you, ask people if they would actually go or not go based on the switch. I'm sure the majority are apathetic despite having a certain preference.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
(Saw Ish posted so I'm here)

Ish is correct, even though I think banning a character is stupid, it would be a bad political move to change it given Ish's reasoning above.

I don't want to read 8 pages back. Who is legal for Mid-tier, it says V7 so does that mean Wolf/Borderline characters?

Xyro77

I have not changed anything when it comes to WHOBO 5.

I was just gauging interest because I have had a legit amount of people complain over the past 4 months that he wasn't legal and I wanted to know if those people still felt that way. That's it. Just to see if people actually wanted mk STILL. Turns out, not too many do so nothing is gonna change. Attendance has never been an issue for me. I don't do WHOBO to compete with other events/TOs or else I'd use thier terrible apex/Japanese rule set and always have MK legal. Instead, I do what I wanna do (within "reason") I do it to keep my state alive. So if I get 50, 100 or 150 people, I'm ok with whatever as long as tx stays alive. There is nothing wrong with me asking a question, guys lmao.

Edit: Tesh, shut up. You overreact to everything. If you are seriously "upset" and the event is "ruined" for you simply because I asked a question......then just don't go. Stop being a wimp.

Edit2: tier list v7 does have borderline characters iirc (fox/wolf/peach....ect). So yea every one of those characters are legal in mid tier besides MR GW. GW has never been mid tier (especially in teams) and no BBR can make me think otherwise.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I wonder if I could afford to fly to this

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071

i will definitely attend if MK is legal in mid tiers

Xyro77

interested, but will melee even have much number at this? also why no ssb64?
Melee is guaranteed to be bigger than any previous WHOBO. i think it might be 4x the size evo was. so 696 x 4 =????

There is also ssb64 interest brewing so i can pretty much confirm there will be a ssb64 event. iirc you guys will get medals too. just like everybody else.

i will definitely attend if MK is legal in mid tiers

..................................................no

BlakDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlakDragon
3DS FC
2938-7104-7763
I don't attend events, but I've been spectating a lot of Smash games/tournies on Twitch, and imo you should keep the Batman out of the event entirely. MK has his way literally everywhere else and it'd be nice to see players perform in a large-scale tourney without him.

Xyro77

if it hasn't already, the venue fee will go up TONIGHT by midnight so please buy your venue fee/events asap. if you have any questions, please post here or on the FB page.

Tesh

Smash Hero
i remember 15-16 medals being mentioned

8 for dubs (brawl,LT, Melee, P:M)
4 for singles (brawl, MT, Melee, P:M)
so there must be 3 more for 64 singles and doubles.

Venue fee has already gone up, but it was supposed to have gone up on August 1st, so congrats to anyone who was able to get it paid for this past week.

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
MM fliphopper?

edit: meant texans for 64
Hey, I kinda want to get your permission on this, but I was thinking of putting a $20 bounty on your head for 64 singles. Whoever eliminates you from the tourney will be paid by me for doing such a daunting task. I don't want you to be offended or anything if I decided to do this. Just trying to add some hype to the event.

tacos

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I kinda want to get your permission on this, but I was thinking of putting a $20 bounty on your head for 64 singles. Whoever eliminates you from the tourney will be paid by me for doing such a daunting task. I don't want you to be offended or anything if I decided to do this. Just trying to add some hype to the event.
lol, I don't mind. Sounds like hype to me.
I was thinking of doing MM's where people pick my char and the stage of their choice idk yet, should be fun.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Xyro, keep it MK-banned. There will be plenty of attendance and competition with him banned. MK players can use their broken character at any number of other MK-legal events throughout the year.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
just booked the time of
Get ready cause XxJiGgLyPuFf_DuDe_420xX is IN THIS

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I have no money at the moment.
Even just affording the venue fee at this point is going to take a miracle. :applejack:

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
i need a dubs partner before i book my flight

anyone bad wanna team?

Top Bottom