• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WHOBO 3!! 3/18-20/2011!! Livestream: http://brawlstream.vgbootcamp.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
grim I responded to you if you want im me on aim.

It is not about watching a game it is about keeping the influx of new players in. It is just a fact that the majority of people do not enjoy watching things where they have to wait.

Look at it this way

Transformers the movie - Makes 200+ Million - basically explosions and stuff

The Prestige - Makes around 70-100 million - more a thinking movie and slow paced.

Its not a clear example but the best I can think of at this time.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
And you know what? I want my favourite character (Link) to instantly get a 1 stock lead against any S, A or B tier characters.

It would make games more exciting for the audience, and can only serve to please people.

Can we introduce that rule too?

Oh, and what is your AIM?

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
my aim is lightxdream.

I only ask to be imed cause I feel the more we argue about this in a thread for results the less people will be able to see shoutouts ( more important for this event at this time )

I enjoy this conversation/debate actually.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Well I've had some time to calm down, so I wanna say a few things then leave this alone:

-I apologize to Will and everyone else for the things I said after the match and on the livestream. Will and I talked and we are cool. It's very, very hard for me to not be mad at him, because let's be honest: any one of you would be mad too if you had a legit chance of placing high in tourney, spending 300 bucks to do so, then have someone plank you that hard (especially after you 3 stocked them the previous game lolol). But as ******** as it was, my displaced anger should have gone towards the situation, not Will.

Xyro just approached me a few minutes ago and apologized profusely for what happened, and also informed me he would be enforcing a LGL at all future tournaments.

I'm more sad than anything right now, but ultimately something good came out of this, and if I had to be the one to suffer for it then so be it.

I'm sorry for anything rude I said to Xyro/Will/anyone else in this discussion. I just hope you all at least understand my frustration with what happened.
Good, now none of this will happen again.
Problem solved!

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I'm gonna enter melee with jiggs and plank. Just to see how effective it is.

Savon

Smash Ace
The funny thing is that all of the problems in brawl tend to stem from the mindset of the players rather than the game itself. You can play super gay in virtually any game where you compete against another player. The problem is that we still have this "Win at all costs" mentality where we are willing to make the game as boring as possible for the sake of winning a match.

You can't make a rule in a fighting game to stop people from playing super gay, that comes down to the player more than anything else. I totally understand why Rich was pissed. I would be pissed as well if I paid all of that cash for a super fun tournament only to be ledge camped to death. If Brawl dies (Which I do not think will happen anytime soon) it will be solely because of the anti-fun mentalities of so many brawl players.

That is why I personally love the LA scene. Are we the best? No. But we play some damn good matches and we do not gay each other to death on a regular basis solely to win. The rest of the competitive community at a higher level needs to adopt a similar mindset.

If you are not gonna play for fun why bother playing?

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
in all honestly, if all the US players are going to do is whine and ***** about planking and being gay, we might as well do what the japanese do, and use Their ruleset as well as play for honor instead of money. Easily a win/win for everyone except for those who are silly and rely on Brawl for income (for some reason rofl)

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
What are the Japanese rules people keep talking about?
it's basically how competitive brawl should be played, but idk, for some reason we dont do it.

long list of changes

dont feel like listing them all.

you can prob find it in general brawl thread.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I'd like to know too.

I don't play brawl for money (I suck though [that might be why, actually]) so I never worry about gay ****, and I understand completely with RB's rage.

The LGL should be on everyone. Yeah, DK's potential is limited or whatever from a purely technical standpoint, but like... **** that ****.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Basically, the Japanese rule-set removes every single interesting stage from the game for absolutely no reason and introduces a ground timer rule which doesn't actually do it's job.

Why should the LGL be on everyone when no one else, other than MK, has broken planking?
I guess we should remove Ike's forward smash too, I mean, it's really easy to avoid, but if it does work it's really gaaayyyyyy.

sasook.

Smash Cadet
I don't think anyone finds Ike's fsmash gay tbh. Most of the time when it's landed people go nuts......especially if it's by san.

Anyways, to answer your question about why a LGL should exist, I'm going to agree with Alex. It's about the community more than the game. Even if MK's planking is the only one that's truly broken, let's face it, despite Will not having done anything wrong, seeing things like that is going to turn potential new players away from the game. It's about pleasing the crowds so the community survives. That's just my take on it. I'd say more but this thread isn't the place to do so.

Can someone tell me what the score was between UR and Ally in GF? Tell me it wasn't a 3-0 please.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
How on earth is an easily beaten tactic going to turn players away from the game?

How about, instead of banning everything you don't like, you find a way to beat it. People seem to be forgetting exactly what a meta-game is.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
i've already dealt with this bull**** in grand finals in mid tier singles.

i got lucky and counterpicked stages that Pit couldn't plank on and ended up beating Esca game 5 because he made a mistake.

Xyro, for the 28th time - LGL please.

Also Grim Tuesday you are basically stating that every character should have a secondary, simply because some characters can beat almost half of the cast without an LGL. (See Pit in Japan).

Will just gave us a prime example of how ******** a tournament without an LGL can be in America.

z00ted

Grim-Tuesday you obviously do not know anything about the Peach vs Pit matchup.

As Peach, you can not touch him on the ledge (not even with turnips). The odds of not getting hit by a single arrow are abysmal, so that logic is terrible.

CY

Smash Ace
fsfjksfh

hells yea, I've been saying this for a long time that every character needs a LGL. Hopefully Allan sticks to his word and puts it on everyone. It's not fair to a lot of characters that can't really do anything about planking.

z00ted

You're right, I shouldn't have replied like that.

Though I don't see Ganondorf mains crying out asking for Blizzard to be banned, Peach is just a bad character.
I don't see Ness crying about being re-grabbed by Marth over and over.

I don't see every character complaining about Metaknight's infinite dimensional cape.

I don't see Donkey Kong mains complaining about DeDeDe's infinite chaingrab.

Oh ... wait.

There comes a point to where we have to draw a a line. Shall we allow these other (mainly character specific) drastic inhibitions alter our metagame?

Also, Peach isn't anywhere close to the tier of Ganon. Don't start with "peA(h 1$ a b4d character!! rofl11!!" you don't even know anything about one of the core basics of one of her most even matchups - Pit.

z00ted

People are over-reacting.

It's done with and over. To be even more clear - it is stated directly in the OP of this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't SiiS4 in somewhat the same situation?

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
People seem to forget that the LGL does not gonna mean the complete end of timeouts. Someone said Redhalberd timed out someone with like 28 LGs?

But with that aside, people just want to keep banning stuff in hopes to make the game... more fun? Less gay? More fair? then more than just DK planking rofl. With Unwinnable matchups and we just tell the people who main characters who get ****ed by 0-deaths/locks, "pick up a 2ndary for said matchup."
So then, why not have an olimar have a pocket DDD for DK? Same **** to me. Both character specific 0-deaths and planking timeouts are equally as gay to me, and both can be remedied by one thing, switching characters.

In brawl, people will always find loopholes to rules, and, if we want to ban stuff that makes the game "boring and gay", then you have a lot more to worry about then just different characters planking.
Rolling is an approach in this game FFS, so if your gonna take this game seriously thenbe prepared for not just some, but all of the gay **** there is and honestly, most players aren't even playing the game as gay as they could be

Btw my pool was
1. shugo
2. dphat
3. ozz

good stuff

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
fsfjksfh

hells yea, I've been saying this for a long time that every character needs a LGL. Hopefully Allan sticks to his word and puts it on everyone. It's not fair to a lot of characters that can't really do anything about planking.
It's not fair that a lot of characters

I don't see Ness crying about being re-grabbed by Marth over and over.
What point are you trying to make here, Marth's grab release chain-grab doesn't deserve to be banned either...

I don't see every character complaining about Metaknight's infinite dimensional cape.
Probably because it's banned...?

I don't see Donkey Kong mains complaining about DeDeDe's infinite chaingrab.
See what I said about Marth's grab release.

Oh ... wait.

There comes a point to where we have to draw a a line. Shall we allow these other (mainly character specific) drastic inhibitions alter our metagame?
Err... yes, because they are a character flaw that the characters have to deal with.

Also, Peach isn't anywhere close to the tier of Ganon. Don't start with "peA(h 1$ a b4d character!! rofl11!!" you don't even know anything about one of the core basics of one of her most even matchups - Pit.
I didn't say she was anywhere close to Ganon tier. Would you like a different example? Tornado against Donkey Kong.

z00ted

Grim Tuesday, please re-read what I posted.

I'm obviously trying to make a point here. If something is impossible to beat (character specific) is banned, then why should the LGL (which allows other certain character specific matchups be impossible to beat) be allowed?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Well, I don't need to respond to D3's infinite and Marth's grab releases because I don't actually agree with them being banned.

IDC should remain banned because it can't be beaten by any character and removes an INCREDIBLE amount of depth from the game. I don't expect to see Mr. Game & Watch destroying the meta-game because he can time out Falco.

z00ted

Whether you agree with it or not does not refute the fact that it has been illegal for the prior three years.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Ah, what exactly are you trying to say here...?

I wasn't trying to refute the fact that they are commonly banned... I was just saying that I don't need to explain why I think they should be treated differently when I DON'T think they should be treated differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom