• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would be revealed in a Direct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Wow. Get hype. -___-

But to be honest, considering just how majorly iconic the Miis are, I expect them to be revealed at E3, considering they most likely are in.

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Miis seems pretty likely.
I could see them doing a trailer akin to Rosalina, where it looks like we're watching a Wii Sports/Resort/etc. sequel, only to have the Miis start fighting a Smash veteran. Plus, they can be rather divisive, so I don't think that would be a good fit to announce at E3 (whereas a hypothetical Ridley reveal would bring the house down).

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Newcomers so far seem to be revealed rather randomly in comparison to veterans, so I wouldn't read into anything like the virtual console or villains taking over the e-shop. I'm fairly certain they don't plan the deadlines of trailers to coincide with the e-shop.

Basically I think it boils down to gut feelings when predicting what newcomer will be revealed in Directs. I'm personally feeling that it's between Palutena, Chrom and Takamaru in April, would be ideal to reveal one of the middle-ground hyped characters as the last newcomer before E3.
Why do you always think what i think?

So weired. ....... :)

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Ridley will be saved for E3. Nintendo must know that Ridley is far and away the most heavily requested newcomer in the West, and there's also the strong chance that a new Metroid game gets revealed at E3. A Ridley newcomer trailer would tie in with that.

Miis will also be saved for E3. I bet Nintendo will acknowledge the "we want Reggie playable in Smash 4" petitions by showing a Reggie Mii, perhaps fighting an Iwata Mii. E3 would be a good place for some humor and levity from Sakurai, and seeing Nintendo executives duking it out would bring laughter similar to that which accompanied the Wii Fit Trainer reveal at E3 2013. It would also be great to have E3 attendees create their own Mii fighters in the Smash 4 demos, right after the Mii reveal. Mii just seems like a social / interactive type of thing more suited for E3.

Shulk is too unknown, and not historically important enough to get a big Direct reveal. Maybe a post-E3 Direct, but not this April Direct, which may be the last big international Direct before E3.

Chrom is too new a character, and not popular enough to bring the kind of hype Nintendo wants from this April direct.

So that leaves Palutena and Takamaru (as a retro, lets-educate-the-players character choice).

Overall, I'd say Palutena is the most likely all together.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm gonna go ahead and say if the Direct is on the 14th it's definitely gonna be Takamaru if any other day I'd say most likely Palutena.
But we'll have to let time run it's course and wait for the next Direct to be sure.

Last edited:

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Most people think the April Direct is by far most likely to happen this week, due to GBA VC release dates, the lack of a March veteran reveal, and a few other reasons that made sense to me but I can't remember right now. April 3 is the date I see tossed around the most.

So it should be very interesting to see what Sakurai chooses as picture of the day for the next couple days, starting tonight. It may give us the biggest hint yet as to who will be revealed in the Direct.

Oh, and I forgot to explain why I don't think it will be Dixie: too many monkeys in a row since Diddy was the last revealed character. That and, honestly, people would generally be less excited about her confirmation than that of just about any other of the likely newcomers.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It's pretty much impossible to predict what newcomer will be revealed in the next Nintendo Direct. Everyone thought it would be a Donkey Kong character last time. Nope we got Little Mac.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Ridley will be saved for E3. Nintendo must know that Ridley is far and away the most heavily requested newcomer in the West, and there's also the strong chance that a new Metroid game gets revealed at E3. A Ridley newcomer trailer would tie in with that.

Miis will also be saved for E3. I bet Nintendo will acknowledge the "we want Reggie playable in Smash 4" petitions by showing a Reggie Mii, perhaps fighting an Iwata Mii. E3 would be a good place for some humor and levity from Sakurai, and seeing Nintendo executives duking it out would bring laughter similar to that which accompanied the Wii Fit Trainer reveal at E3 2013. It would also be great to have E3 attendees create their own Mii fighters in the Smash 4 demos, right after the Mii reveal. Mii just seems like a social / interactive type of thing more suited for E3.

Shulk is too unknown, and not historically important enough to get a big Direct reveal. Maybe a post-E3 Direct, but not this April Direct, which may be the last big international Direct before E3.

Chrom is too new a character, and not popular enough to bring the kind of hype Nintendo wants from this April direct.

So that leaves Palutena and Takamaru (as a retro, lets-educate-the-players character choice).

Overall, I'd say Palutena is the most likely all together.
Yeah. Shulk is more likely a hidden character if he's in. Something about him doesn't scream starter to me. Takamaru is more unfamiliar than Shulk, because Shulk still has quite a few fans over here and is pretty expected.

Palutena...honestly just show her and let's end the myth. The leak was great and all and I'm a huge Palutena fan, but I'm tired of the circular arguments surrounding the leak and just want it to be over.

I agree about Mii's, and don't expect them to be shown at all in a non-E3 direct.

So yeah, unless they decide to throw a curveball or show Chrom/Robin/Lucina whatever, I agree that Palutena and Takamaru are the two most likely choices, and really hope I'm not wrong (unless it's Shulk.)

Staarih

Smash Master
I really liked the idea of Isaac being revealed, so I'm secretly hoping for that! Realistically though, I used to be positive it would be Chrom, but now I'm leaning more towards Takamaru, maybe Palutena too, like so many others here. But like with the last Direct (where the majority was sure of a DK character), we might not get either of those just because it's the majority here again haha!

D

Deleted member

I have a couple of theories:
1. Palutena could be shown for the KI:U Anniversary. While it has come and gone in March, the anniversary could still be a good reason to reveal her since March didn't have a Direct; might as well go for the nearest date.
2. Takamaru could be revealed for the Ninja Castle Anniversary.
3. Dixie Kong could be revealed for Tropical Freeze promotion. She couldn't be revealed in February because Diddy Kong wasn't revealed yet. Now that he is, she could get revealed since April is the closest date to the TF release.
4. Snake to promote Ground Zeroes. Much like Palutena and Dixie Kong, he couldn't get revealed since there was no Direct; he can't be randomly revealed as Sonic was revealed in a Direct with a video.
5. Chrom for the Fire Emblem Anniversary.
6. Shulk if Monolith Soft is going to participate in the Nintendo Direct and show off some X footage, much like the Rosalina reveal.

Then again, Sakurai could throw a curve ball and reveal someone else.

I don't think Pac-Man would get revealed in a Direct. He is a 3rd party newcomer; he should be reserved for E3.

Honestly, I am just hoping for Shulk.

EDIT: Hmm... we've gone a full month without a reveal. It would have been perfect to reveal characters like Yoshi and Wario... hmm...
What if we are going to get "Trailer 2" and we see a couple of veterans and a newcomer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I really liked the idea of Isaac being revealed, so I'm secretly hoping for that! Realistically though, I used to be positive it would be Chrom, but now I'm leaning more towards Takamaru, maybe Palutena too, like so many others here. But like with the last Direct (where the majority was sure of a DK character), we might not get either of those just because it's the majority here again haha!
I feel like "realistically" we shouldn't necessarily expect what's realistic.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to think that all the Kid Icarus content lately, up to and including today's reveal of the Palutena Temple interior, is pointing toward Palutena as the next revealed newcomer. I definitely agree with those who are saying Ridley is a lock for E3 if he makes it into the roster.

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
I'd say anyone currently recognizable to the public has a fair shot of showing up in a Direct. That's characters such as Palutena, Dixie Kong, Chrom, Robin, Mii, Pac-Man, Ghirahim and if he counts as a newcomer, Mewtwo (for the record, these are not all characters that I think will get in). As a third-party character, Snake would probably also get revealed in a Direct if he were to return.

Anyone not straight-away recognizable to a wider audience is probably more likely to end up as a secret character, in which case I don't think they would be shown before release. that's not to say all secret characters will be obscure or unknown - there really isn't that much time between now and release to show lots of new characters, and some returning veterans are also gonna end up secret. The reveal of Takamaru, Isaac, Sable, Captain Rainbow, Lip, an Advance Wars or Rhythm Heaven character (again, not all characters that I think are gonna make it in) would mostly serve to excite their individual support bases, so I think they would leave most of those to be surprises for when the game comes out.

Characters like Ridley, Shulk and Tingle I consider to be borderline between these two categories. It's been a long time since Other M, and his Other M design is pretty specific to that game. Casual players of the older Metroid games might not even recognize his new look, at least until his name is shown. It hasn't been quite as long since Xenoblade, and with a spiritual sequel on the way it might seem like the obvious choice to tie in his announcement with updates on that game. X doesn't seem to feature Shulk, however, so (for now at least) the only people really aware of who Shulk is are the ones who played or have heard of Xenoblade. Tingle didn't make any appearances in Zelda games during the seventh generation, and his RPGs only came out in Japan (and Europe in the case of the first one). He's finally made his HD debut in the Wind Waker remake, so perhaps enough people are aware of him.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's been a long time since Other M, and his Other M design is pretty specific to that game. Casual players of the older Metroid games might not even recognize his new look, at least until his name is shown.
I'm fairly certain that people that see a purple dragon of that shape still know it's Ridley. The Other M design is really not that different from his old one unless you go into details, people that see that design for the first time will still know it's him the moment he shows up, despite not looking as cool as he usually does, it's not like anyone didn't know it was him in the Other M trailer either. He's still more recognizable to the public than guys like Robin, Ghirahim and Chrom, none of whom you'll know of unless you've played their specific games or partake in Smash speculation. Ridley has been a lasting Nintendo icon for 28 years after all, people don't just forget him, and certainly not when he's such an infamous topic in regards to Smash itself.

I do however still agree that if Ridley is in he could very well be saved as an unlockable, or at least until right before release. It's very beneficial to keep a character of so much controversy at bay for as long as possible. They saved Dedede, Sonic and Olimar 'till last on the Brawl Dojo since they all were very popular suggestions and partly why so many people kept checking the Dojo every day, wouldn't surprise me if they did the same with Ridley this time. Seeing that we're still not that close to release yet, I'm not expecting any super hype reveal anytime soon, Little Mac is enough to tie us over for a little while I figure.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Chrom is certainly the obvious choice, but watch it be Palutena or Shulk or something, because as has been said, the obvious choice in February would've been Dixie or K. Rool.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well I'm not going to predict because of march

But because of that if its impossible to predict isn't even possible we might be wrong about pac man ridley mewtwo shulk or any other super hype character for E3 and not a Direct

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Chrom is certainly the obvious choice, but watch it be Palutena or Shulk or something, because as has been said, the obvious choice in February would've been Dixie or K. Rool.
Don't forget the possibility of a Fire Emblem newcomer that isn't Chrom. It's obvious while still being surprising.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Don't forget the possibility of a Fire Emblem newcomer that isn't Chrom. It's obvious while still being surprising.
Also true. Robin, and even Lucina (although because of her secondary main character status wouldn't make sense IMO unless Chrom is also present) are definitely good candidates.

I think Chrom just strikes everyone as the by far most predictable character choice, whether they like it or not. (I support Robin more than Chrom, despite being a fan of both.)

This is of course not to say that Robin isn't likely. Perhaps I should just limit it to "A FE newcomer" rather than single out Chrom.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Also true. Robin, and even Lucina (although because of her secondary main character status wouldn't make sense IMO unless Chrom is also present) are definitely good candidates.

I think Chrom just strikes everyone as the by far most predictable character choice, whether they like it or not. (I support Robin more than Chrom, despite being a fan of both.)

This is of course not to say that Robin isn't likely. Perhaps I should just limit it to "A FE newcomer" rather than single out Chrom.
Oh, I agree, naturally Chrom is the most likely choice for a new Fire Emblem character, and definitely the go to choice for such a role. It's just that (I think) there are some other viable candidates who stand a decent chance at making it in over Chrom that are worth acknowledging, Robin being one of the big ones.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's proabably going to be Layton or Kawashima. :p
But really I don't have no clue on whom he's going to reveal, it can be anyone.
I wouldn't really expect either of those characters to appear in the game at all, so predicting a reveal for them would be rather difficult. I would say Layton, as a Third Party, would probably be saved for E3 though.

...Actually, now that I think about it, what is Kawashima's character status, anyway? He is technically a real person, after all, and the form he takes in the games isn't Nintendo exclusive, so would that make third party, or what?

Staarih

Smash Master
I'd sort of hope for a non-humanoid character since basically all the newcomers we have so far are human, or people, to some extent. So K. Rool or Ridley it is :cool:

then again, many of the potential newcomers ARE human and I'd still really love them to pull out Isaac in the next Direct.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
On Kawashima, aside from the absurdity of the character itself, did he actually appear in any form (other than a textual mention) in Brawl? The game did release before Brawl.

As far as the direct, I'm going to expect a Fire Emblem newcomer, and not really think too much further about it.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
On Kawashima, aside from the absurdity of the character itself, did he actually appear in any form (other than a textual mention) in Brawl? The game did release before Brawl.

As far as the direct, I'm going to expect a Fire Emblem newcomer, and not really think too much further about it.
Nope, I would imagine he would need to ask permission from the real person himself, obviously since Sakurai was focused on other old and veteran franchises characters, it's pretty understandable he didn't use the time to ask.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Like a brand new franchise, or something recently new, like Xenoblade? (Because that's fine by me. Holy ****.)
I mean a character from a franchise that hasent been in smash ayet to like Villager.

Man.....that would make alot of people worried.....me expecially.

Im saying if we get a character no one expected its gonna be MaD.......

And not a good sort of MaD.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I mean a character from a franchise that hasent been in smash ayet to like Villager.

Man.....that would make alot of people worried.....me expecially.

Im saying if we get a character no one expected its gonna be MaD.......

And not a good sort of MaD.
Well, Takamaru and Shulk are both potential character reveals for next month that people are fairly interested in. I guess that counts? Unless you mean like Miis or something.

Look, as long as this 2-month drought isn't broken by Miis, I'm perfectly fine.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
My guess is Palutena, due to all the Kid Icarus stages and whatnot we have received. Also if that leak is true, Sakurai would reveal her before release, I would think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom