• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Who wins on time-out in new online tourny mode? Something's not right...

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Well, that was a surprise. I ended a game with both of us at 1 stock, the opponent at 55%, and me at 0%. He won. Why? It might be because I used an auto-healer badge?

See, I decided to be extremely cheesey and run an ultra-defensive, auto healing, Decisive Shield Shulk in tourny mode. I faced a really good kirby player, who was able to combo me a lot due to my lack of mobility. However, my being a pansy was too good. I was in the lead. I took his 1 out of 2 stocks, and survived for a while before he killed me. I respawned shortly before the game timed out. I was 0%, he was 55%, and we both had 1 stock left. Well, he won! This was really confusing. I'm sure he was as surprised as I was.

I rewatched the match to confirm what happened, and it was as I thought. However, I noticed something in the post-game stats. He DEALT more damage than I did, and I TOOK more than he did. I just simply healed the damage off. I wonder if the programmers chose to base final results off of that rather than what the actual damage percent reads?

If that's true, it would have other implications as well. That would mean if you took the first stock off someone while they were at 80%, you survived until 150%, and the game ended with him at 60% you at 0%, you would lose.

Or is it something even dumber, like hit percentage?

Or who got the last kill? He did.

Or who got the last hit? He did too.

Either way, something is screwed up with how the victor is determined.

Last edited:

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
Let’s assume for a moment that it is based on whoever DEALT more damage. I imagine it’d only look for that is the player’s stock were equal, like in your case. I imagine if damage dealt is compared, it’d only be after stock count is looked at, and only if it’s the same. Sure in your example you survived longer and you might have taken their last stock first given more time, but you didn't have more time, so he wins based on virtue of damage taken. Just try settle it before time is out I guess =P

Still odd that it doesn’t do sudden death, but perhaps they didn’t want the result based on what some would see as a luck situation.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Basically, the winner is determined by whoever dealt more damage if both players have the same amount of lives remaining. It does "not" matter at all if you heal yourself during the bout.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
edit: ah, that's pretty bad.

that means this mode favors players who use lighter vs heavier characters.

Last edited:

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
I mean, they had to pick a tiebreak method, and this seems as valid as any other.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I mean, they had to pick a tiebreak method, and this seems as valid as any other.
how? they could have just done the percent that is read on the screen. why penalize players for living to high percents?

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I'm pretty sure that if one player has more stocks than the other, the one with more stocks will win, even if that player ended up taking more damage overall. (At least, I certainly hope that's the case)

If both players are down to the same amount of stocks, then I think it takes the total damage thing into consideration. I'm not totally sure, but this would be the better way of doing it instead of just focusing on damage taken and not stocks at all.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
The timer being 3 minutes wouldn't be so bad if they made it fair who won upon time-out.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I don't know about that, the 3 minute timer is still awful. Some more clarification on what determines a winner would be nice, though. I just want to know if stocks come into consideration.

Top Bottom