• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who will be the first newcomers revealed for Smash 4? (Expect first trailer at E3!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If Ridley is a starter will he suck because unlocked chars are more OP then startes?

(something brawl taught me..)

:phone:
That is most certainly not the case. Mewtwo and Mr. Game & Watch were the last unlockables in Melee and were they the best characters?

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
If Ridley is a starter will he suck because unlocked chars are more OP then startes?

That's just not true.

Best in each game:
64: Pikachu
Melee: Fox
Brawl: Meta Knight

in Brawl you could even extend it to Diddy, Olimar, and Ice Climbers.

Whether a character is playable right away or unlockable, that does not affect how strong they will be in game.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Regardless if Ridley is revealed first or not, he's just got to be unlockable

TBH, I kind of wish they'd keep him a secret until the end

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
well being in the trailer doesn't necesarily mean he'll be in the starting roster. Ganandorf and Pichu can be seen in the trailer for Melee but werent on the initial roster. (though to be fair a lot of characters are in that trailer that arent even in the game)

But Snake was revealed in the brawl trailer and he still had to be unlocked

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
I think Takamaru, Little Mac, King K. Rool, Genesect/Zoroark/Mewtwo/New Pokémon, and a Third Party will be the first ones revealed

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
1. Balloon Fighter
2. Megaman
3. Pac-Man
4. Bowser Jr.
5. Duck Hunt Dog
6. Tom Nook
7. Shulk

I would imagine the trailer would start with the 4 iconic characters fighting in a empty deserted place, then the four would climb up Bowser's Airship with Bowser Jr. making an appearance using his Paint as a final smash, then Shulk would arrive to fight on the airship. The Airship would get above the sky clouds then Balloon Fighter could appear out of the blue and zoom through these fighters. Then out of the sky would be Megaman, then he would would come to show off his skills and show off his final smash; that causes the air ship to create a vortex, then everyone would fall off to the weird vortex that leads to a Grassland with a house. The door would open, it would be Pac-Man being chased by Tom Nook for stealing his food. As the chase goes on, Tom Nook attempts to catch Pac-Man throws a broom violently far to the grass. Then Tom Nook would become tired, other's watching him too. Then the Duck Hunt Dog could simply laugh at them from behind the grass, then Tom Nook would get pissed. Then we have a winning trailer.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
It definitely would.

It's gonna be fun looking back at this thread "x" months from now and seeing who had the closest prediction.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

MetaKnight and Diddy are available from the start though. So was Fox in Melee, alongside Sheik and Peach. It has nothing to do with anything.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
It definitely would.

It's gonna be fun looking back at this thread "x" months from now and seeing who had the closest prediction.
It sure is but it sure is annoying as ****! how i cant find no Brawl specualtion/prediction roster threads..

I wanna go rumage through them..are they still about? can someone link me please..

I wanna know who were the top 10 most wanted.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We got about that amount with the Brawl trailer, like 5-6 or so. So it is not unrealistic.
Melee had four newcomers in the initial debut trailer, and Brawl had five. Considering that there will probably be fewer newcomers overall in SSB4 than there were in Brawl, expecting more than were in the Brawl trailer to be revealed is probably fairly unrealistic.

Unveiling 7 new characters would probably be around half the total amount of newcomers anyway, and it would be much smarter to save a decent amount of the starters for later to spread out the hype and maintain interest (unless the game comes out shortly after the trailer -- which at this point is really unlikely).

All I'm saying is don't get your hopes up for more than 4/5.

Melee had four newcomers in the initial debut trailer, and Brawl had five. Considering that there will probably be fewer newcomers overall in SSB4 than there were in Brawl, expecting more than were in the Brawl trailer to be revealed is probably fairly unrealistic.

Unveiling 7 new characters would probably be around half the total amount of newcomers anyway, and it would be much smarter to save a decent amount of the starters for later to spread out the hype and maintain interest (unless the game comes out shortly after the trailer -- which at this point is really unlikely).

All I'm saying is don't get your hopes up for more than 4/5.
I did say exactly 7, I meant that Brawl's trailer showed off quite a few characters (saying 5-6 and I was close). That is what would happen with 4.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Unless the roster is bigger than before. :3
(Refer to my roster)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I did say exactly 7, I meant that Brawl's trailer showed off quite a few characters (saying 5-6 and I was close). That is what would happen with 4.
If you're trying to say five new characters in the trailer is a possibility, then I agree with you. Anything more is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Unless the roster is bigger than before. :3
(Refer to my roster)
Right, but it won't be. Your roster is super unrealistic.

Expecting as many (or more) newcomers than we got in Brawl (18) is naive. And again, people will be satiated by getting 4/5 newcomers in the initial trailer, giving them more would leave fewer characters to use as promotion and to generate hype later. The newcomers need to be unveiled over time and in moderation in order to maintain a constantly high interest in the game, it's pretty basic marketing.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I meant to say I DIDN'T exactly mean it should be 7 (forgot to put the n't in there).

I just said it would be around what Brawl revealed in its first trailer. Around 5-6.
Melee revealed 4 newcomers.

Brawl revealed 5 newcomers.

Based on what we've heard from the development team so far it's pretty safe to assume that there won't be more newcomers added to the roster than there were in Brawl.

Therefore it's pretty safe to assume there won't be any more than 5 newcomers revealed in the trailer. IMO I'd say even 5 newcomers being revealed is a stretch but we'll see.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Based on what we've heard from the development team so far it's pretty safe to assume that there won't be more newcomers added to the roster than there were in Brawl.
So how do we get hyped? :awesome:

Right, but it won't be. Your roster is super unrealistic.
If you can see how the roster was very big, and how 55 characters divided exclusively to the 3DS version and the Wii U version, it's basically realistic enough to satisfy.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
So how do we get hyped? :awesome:

If you can see how the roster was very big, and how 55 characters divided exclusively to the 3DS version and the Wii U version, it's basically realistic enough to satisfy.
if i could just say your roster has a lot of characters who are not only very likely whether they are 3rd party or simply unnecesary. you could seriously benefit from cutting a few of those characters out. at least then it can be seen as "realistic"

i more or less expect around a dozen new characters for Smash. its not as much as id like but its still enough to be exciting

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
How is that? I may have missed a few characters or made some weird character choices, because it was my personal researched roster. So how is 55 characters disappointing.
I mean that they will be disappointed if their favorite or more anticipated characters are in the other version and they can't afford it

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I mean that they will be disappointed if their favorite or more anticipated characters are in the other version and they can't afford it
Maybe the newcomers can have much in-depth and more interesting moves to make people satisfied to what they have, like when I was questioning about Olimar's appearance (That's how I became a Pikmin fan). Maybe a friend could help you collect all characters by transferring them, it's pretty likely since SSB is in two versions, and two means twice more sales than Brawl, anyone would be willing to help ya unlock, maybe through even Streetpass.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Counting transformations, 55 characters isn't hugely unrealistic, it would take up 51 slots (assuming we don't get any more transformations). However, considering you have IIRC 25 newcomers (made up of many unlikely characters), that's when it starts to get really unrealistic.

The Wii U and 3DS aren't going to have rosters almost completely different than each other. IF exclusive characters gets implemented (which is a big if), it will almost definitely be limited to a very few on each system (or just on the Wii U), not two rosters with literally no overlapping characters, like you have.

A roster where Mario isn't on the Wii U version of SSB4 can't be considered "realistic" by any stretch of the word.

How is that? I may have missed a few characters or made some weird character choices, because it was my personal researched roster. So how is 55 characters disappointing.
Because like Curmudgeon said, you'd have to own two systems and two separate games to play as not only both halves of the roster, but the original freaking 8, which is ridiculous. Your roster is effectively for two games with connectivity, not one. In reality, buying either one of your "games" would leave the person with a roster of around 27, with the 3DS one having comparatively few newcomers and the Wii U one not having characters like Mario, Link, Samus, DK, and Kirby, which is... just... :facepalm:

Also, you're not the only one who did research before compiling a roster.

Maybe the newcomers can have much in-depth and more interesting moves to make people satisfied to what they have, like when I was questioning about Olimar's appearance (That's how I became a Pikmin fan). Maybe a friend could help you collect all characters by transferring them, it's pretty likely since SSB is in two versions, and two means twice more sales than Brawl, anyone would be willing to help ya unlock, maybe through even Streetpass.
Sakurai doesn't play favourites, he's not going to purposely make newcomers more in-depth and interesting than veterans, that would wreck the game.

Also, if exclusives are embraced, chances are Nintendo isn't going to let you transfer characters to multiple systems multiple times, that would destroy a huge amount of potential profit. It's not like Pokemon where the characters are a dime a dozen. Chances are you'll link one Wii U to one 3DS and have to transfer solely between them (at least for characters).

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
The majority US population of gamers might think of Diddy as a sidekick and not a threat, but now we see how threatening he is in Brawl, he might just equal as Donkey Kong. You see what I mean, it's literally helping the (known iconic yet) underappreciated characters.

Also sorry about the uneven roster, I added Sora just for a little hope. :>

And also the chance are high that you can connect to transfer other characters, after all, there's Miiverse, we would complain.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The majority US population of gamers might think of Diddy as a sidekick and not a threat, but now we see how threatening he is in Brawl, he might just equal as Donkey Kong. You see what I mean, it's literally helping the (known iconic yet) underappreciated characters.

And also the chance are high that you can connect to transfer other characters, after all, there's Miiverse, we would complain.
Why specifically the US?

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace

Yeah chances are high to transfer things between the Wii U and the 3DS, but will characters be transfered? It's more possible that music, trophies, and stages are transferable. I don't think they would really do that with characters, even if it's only one or two exclusive chars. A lot of people will bash Nintendo for that. Not saying it's a bad idea, it's just not likely for smash.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Yeah chances are high to transfer things between the Wii U and the 3DS, but will characters be transfered? It's more possible that music, trophies, and stages are transferable. I don't think they would really do that with characters, even if it's only one or two exclusive chars. A lot of people will bash Nintendo for that. Not saying it's a bad idea, it's just not likely for smash.
Maybe exclusive was the wrong word. All characters are divided into retro and new (3DS version and Wii U version). You are able to transfer these characters freely to any player (and stranger :3) if they want the character. But maybe they should fight the transferred character incase.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
that is a really bad analogy as everyone knows that Diddy has been in the starring role on more than one occasion and proven to be just as capable as DK. Donkey Kong Country 1-2, DK 64, even the Diddy Kong Racing games can count.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Uh... huh....

Diddy is an odd example for anyone who has actually played a DK game with Diddy in it (as he can be quite a threat) and like Psycho said... why specifically the US?... but yeah, I agree, a character shouldn't be excluded on the basis of being under-appreciated (which I'm not quite sure Diddy is...), or canonically weak or anything, but Sakurai isn't going to make characters more powerful than others on purpose, or included more than one or two forgotten, less popular characters over ones that merit it more.

It's hardly a reason to have Diddy on a roster without Donkey though.

I'd suggest you drop the whole retro/modern angle you're going for, it's really making your rosters suffer. No one will take you seriously if you don't have (at least) the starting eight on both rosters. At least.

Sora is just the tip of the iceberg if you want to make your roster more realistic.

Maybe exclusive was the wrong word. All characters are divided into retro and new (3DS version and Wii U version). You are able to transfer these characters freely to any player (and stranger :3) if they want the character. But maybe they should fight the transferred character incase.
Right, because people complaining would surely be worth Nintendo taking a huge profit cut over a few characters. :rolleyes: It's Smash, no matter how the game ends up, people will complain about something. Nintendo is in it for the profit, if they see an area that can easily be exploited and will result in significantly reduced revenue, they will work to prevent it.

Plus... if your rosters were the actual official rosters, there would be more complaining than ever before, way more about the character selection and exclusivity than the limited transfer options, trust me.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
So do you have another way to make those two versions unique? After all Sakurai is aiming for the connectivity?
:3
Also good suggestion about the original 8 being on both versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom