• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who will be the first Melee God to fall?

sadweather

Smash Apprentice
Discuss.

My thoughts:
Armada is doing really well right now, and certainly doesn't look like stopping
Mango says he only has a few more good years in him.
PPMD has been attending less and less tourneys, and performed poorly at Summit.
HBox has been doing well, consistently placing in top 3.
and M2K's hands are really getting in his way.

also sorry if this thread already exists

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
First of all Hbox has been doing great.

Second, you need to define what you mean by "gods." If you mean they are unbeatable to other players, they are all pretty much dead. Same with if you mean only they win tournaments, as there is Leffen in the mix yet. Do you mean who will be the first to not be considered top top level anymore?

sadweather

Smash Apprentice
What the **** did I just post, here let me clean things up.

Changed Hbox. Don't know what I was thinking.

and I mainly was thinking of just M2k Mango Hbox Armada and PPMD, as We all know Leffen isn't stopping anytime soon, at least if he can sort his visa out :troll:

Last edited:

Jmoney

Smash Rookie
Probably HBox cause of school.

He might also become self aware of how lame he plays and quit.

Jmoney

Smash Rookie
Hbox isn't in school.

But if I were to pick one that I would expect to fall off it would be m2k

Yeah he graduated with a degree, so he's probably going to be working full time soon. Didn't he announce this on stream?

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
PP has said numerous times before/after EVO that he has sorted a bunch of problems out and plans to start attending more, however much that ends up being. Got over mental health issues. Fatigue+other health issues are on their way out and he's just making sure to maintain the better lifestyle now. Hopefully we'll being seeing more of him~

Hbox got a job and has said he won't be able to attend as many events after evo.

M2K is M2K. His performance has always been sporadic, and he's been going back and forth between quitting and making a comeback for a good while now. I don't see him quitting anytime soon.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Hbox has a full time job but has found he actually has the time to attend more events and practice more, as he gets home and can do whatever he wants (no homework). He's been working since smashcon and his results have been just as good or slightly better.

PP has finally found out low testosterone is likely the source of his problem. If that can be fixed quickly I'd expect him to be back in shape soon, but I'm not a doctor (lol) so I have no clue how long stuff like that takes (I would assume quite a while).

Armada is doing great.

Mango has been struggling this year to keep up his former performances (more like just failing actually), but him switching to Falco might change things for him. I'm not a mango fan but I'm glad he is at least trying to do something to improve his play for once.

And then we have m2k. The only thing m2k has won since TBH3 in 2013 has been PAX over Leffen. He's lost 8 or 9 sets to non top six players this year and has even failed to make top eight at Apex. His emotions are as volatile as ever. He's not going to quit, but depending on your definition of "godhood" he may have already lost it.

Those are just my thoughts on all of them.

hi im dennis

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion:

Armada is a machine right now, I can see him pulling a Zero.
Hbox is the only one right now who can beat Armada. Leffen can MAYBE but he's not a god so I'm not including him.
M2K is next best and I think that he is making a comeback
Mango isn't preforming well right now and I think that 17th place was a fluke but he hasn't been getting top 3 recently.
PPMD isn't bad but I think he will start getting worse if he doesn't start going to tourneys more often

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
The eras of the Gods are dead.

Now we just have the Top 6 players in the world, and everyone that used to be far below them are catching up significantly.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
If I had to pick one Melee God to Fall (or at least predict which one would not succeed similar to the others as they did before), I would honestly say PPMD would be my candidate.

I simply don't remember him winning tournaments as much as other gods such as Mang0 and Armada, or seeing much of him on stream. He's just been the least popular god out there, and while I think he is exceptionally good to this day, I honestly think he's a touch off. Though, this isn't coming from someone that observant and good, just thought I'd lay my opinion.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Because he hasn't heard people saying it for the past 6 years. Kappa

In my opinion:

Armada is a machine right now, I can see him pulling a Zero.
Hbox is the only one right now who can beat Armada. Leffen can MAYBE but he's not a god so I'm not including him.
M2K is next best and I think that he is making a comeback
Mango isn't preforming well right now and I think that 17th place was a fluke but he hasn't been getting top 3 recently.
PPMD isn't bad but I think he will start getting worse if he doesn't start going to tourneys more often
Mango and Leffen can definitely beat Armada, he's not invincible. Armada v Leffen has an almost even set count and Mango's falco brought Armada to last stock game 5 at Smash Summit. PPMD is still a wild card because we really only have 2 events to base speculation off of. And if its true that he's treating his depression, we can expect him not to go anywhere.

jazz_1993

Smash Rookie
I suspect that they will all fall within a relatively close timespan of each other. Or at least, the term God will become outdated as much as king of smash. It's not that their skill will decrease, but other players are all improving. Each additional improvement gets harder and harder as players get better.

There are also a few things turning the tide against the possibility of an elite few:
1. Techology like 20XX and ubiquitous recording is making it easier to practice and analyze.
2. The growth of the game is making it easier to travel and access high level competition to play against (formerly it only happened a couple times a year).
3. PPMD has decided to withhold very little knowledge about the game.
4. Gods will age and start to be replaced by young upstarts with more drive, brain plasticity, eyesight, reaction time, etc. I see Leffen as the first of many. Imo he has the best reaction tech chasing and neutral game among the top 6, both reaction-intensive tasks.

Last edited:

Trr_woof

Smash Rookie
The argument for M2k is really only his hands hurt sometimes. Unless when he goes to the doctor and they say he has like carpel tunnel I think he will be fine. He just need to win a major so he is happy again and doesn't tweet super depressing stuff on twitter. I think if mango keeps on the path of lower tournament placings he will be the first one to "retire"

Avoin

Smash Cadet
PPMD or Mango.

Armada is as into melee as ever, hbox is rising, and m2k doesn't seem close to quitting.

PPMD has seemed less motivated but recently implied he's wanting to get back into it, Mango is losing it a bit, he'll either come back hard, or keep his slow descent until he inevitably quits.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Probably HBox cause of school.

Hey Jmoney it's J$, money match for the name or gtfo I was here first
only kidding

I think Mew2King, because of his hands and the fact that he is the only one of the top Melee players that also focuses heavily on other games.

Also the term god is useless nowadays, nobody has been unbeatable in a while. Closest thing we've had is Armada, who just lost to Hbox at Dreamhack.

Last edited:

Tamak

Smash Rookie
even though im sad about it, i think it will be M2K- not because he stops loving the game, doubt any of the gods will ever stop loving the game. but M2K is the oldest, and the most physically(and mentally) limited as of right now.

Herbie

Smash Rookie
NNID
EBonett
I'd have to say Mango. He seems to be falling since EVO. He could continue to place low or come back strong.

fsck!

Smash Cadet
It's a toss up between Mango and M2K. PPMD only has been doing poorly because he's been sick. He explained it at one point over twitter.

SunnieHD

Smash Rookie
First of all Hbox has been doing great.

Second, you need to define what you mean by "gods." If you mean they are unbeatable to other players, they are all pretty much dead. Same with if you mean only they win tournaments, as there is Leffen in the mix yet. Do you mean who will be the first to not be considered top top level anymore?
The gods are m2k, ppmd, mango, Hbox, armada. These have been "the gods" for quite some time now

fsck!

Smash Cadet
Well yeah, but why do we call them "gods"
When they were appointed the title, they were just showing up to tournaments left and right and destroying them all. Basically what ZeRo did in Smash 4, just not quite as extreme as his win streak. Also, more than just one person dominating so it wasn't literally one sided. The wiki explains it rather well.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
When they were appointed the title, they were just showing up to tournaments left and right and destroying them all. Basically what ZeRo did in Smash 4, just not quite as extreme as his win streak. Also, more than just one person dominating so it wasn't literally one sided. The wiki explains it rather well.
Yeah but this isn't nearly as applicable now. The only real "god" was Ken back in the day, and maybe PC Chris. You could probably argue Mang0 during his prime too, but the point is that these people are no longer gods. They are losing to mortals.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Right, so I would argue the term only holds value in retrospect as those five people are no longer the only ones winning tournaments.

fsck!

Smash Cadet
Yeah but this isn't nearly as applicable now. The only real "god" was Ken back in the day, and maybe PC Chris. You could probably argue Mang0 during his prime too, but the point is that these people are no longer gods. They are losing to mortals.
This is true, but I don't think that's because they're falling off. It doesn't mean it's not the case though. 20XX is happening, and the internet is accelerating its takeover.

-[edit]-

Right, so I would argue the term only holds value in retrospect as those five people are no longer the only ones winning tournaments.
It's more along the lines of how once someone gains a title of honor, they don't lose it, barring situational circumstances. So until one of the Gods do something (unbelievably dumb?) to be stripped of the title, they will likely forever be referred to as Gods.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Then why does this thread even exist
He means that even if they were to fall from the top level and only be, say, a top 50 player, they'd still retain their title of "God," just like Ken is still called "The King of Smash," despite having fallen off his throne.

jeku?

Smash Rookie
The first to retire will probably be m2k, I can't see Mang0 retiring but he'll eventually fall off top 5 same with PP. Hbox will retire next and Armada is a mystery.

Diosama

Stand User
Mew2king will probably fall first. Losing really gets him down, and if he doesn't win, or at least beat Armada, soon, he might not have the drive in him to go on. Mang0 will probably quit soon too but he'll keep active in the community like Scar. PPMD hasn't been to many tournaments this year, but manages to impress people regardless. He'll stick around for a while. Armada is simply the best right now and HBox is second to him.

Last edited:

GuardianTalos

Smash Rookie
Obviously leffen wont stop. i think ppmd is coming back soon. Armada wont stop. I could see hbox quitting just cause it seems like him. sadly m2k might have to because of his hands. and mang0. sorry bro. you're falling down the food chain. so mainly i think it will be mang0.

Top Bottom