• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Will be the first character you play as when the game releases?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Probably Samus, I feel like in comparison to Meta Knight and Ike she's probably the best one to get the general feeling of the game with.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Very hard to say really. I've been thinking about it. Most of what I'm thinking is "Who are playable by default?"

So I could mention some ideas ~

• Villager - I'd love to get to try how different he is compared to others and it intrigures my interest.
  • Mario - He is the "Basic" character, so to compare from earlier versions, I'd like to see.
  • Wii Fit Trainer - She as Villager too seem very different and I'd like to try.
  • Ness - If he is playable by default I'd love to play my main character.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Fully expecting Robin and Megaman to be hidden, so I will have to fall back on Marth (assuming he's default via boxart). If HE is also hidden, probably whatever newcomer is available that none of my friends pick in the first game.

Turmalinium

Smash Apprentice
I will play as Robin first because he is the character i am most interested in. If he is unlockable then i dont know which character i will play first.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Definitely a newcomer. Play Little Mac first if he's a starter. If not then Villager. If not him then I'll let random choose the newcomer I play with

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I'll be using them in this order.

1. Robin (if available)
2. Lucina (if available)
3. Pit (if one of the above us available) or Charizard (if none of the above are available)

I originally wanted to play as Charizard first to pay homage to having played as Squirtle first in Brawl, but Robin looks too cool and I really like Lucina. Then I'll carry on to play as Pit (my better main from Brawl). If the newcomers that I want are not starters though, I'll pay homage to Pokémon Trainer and use Charizard before Pit.

MassKirbycide

Smash Cadet
Given that I want to plow through unlocking everyone/everything as quickly as possible, I'll probably start with Kirby since he's my Brawl main, and appears to play pretty similarly in Sm4sh. Once I've unlocked everything, I will be all over Mega Man, Rosalina, DHD (if the leak is true), Robin, and a couple of others.

Ozyroth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ozyroth
I usually play Kirby and as soon as I unlock Luigi I try him out.

With this game I want to (in no particular order)
1. Use kirby and test the new mechanics/physics of the game
2. Test Wii Fit Trainer asap as she will be one of my future mains
3. Use Meta Knight and Luigi and see their changes and adapt to them quickly because they are also my all time mains

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
So hard to choose! Someone please pick for me!:confused:

1. :4kirby:My main from 64, and my first played in Melee and Brawl. This will continue my trend of playing him first. 2 votes
  2. :4marth:My main in Brawl and secondary back in Melee. The character I'm currently most used to. This may let me feel out the changes to the engine easier.
  3. :4wiifit:The only character I got to play at the Best Buy demo (4 hours for 2 minutes). I won, so maybe she'll click. This will continue my most "familiar" Smash 4 character.

Last edited:

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra

1. :4kirby:My main from 64, and my first played in Melee and Brawl.
  2. :4marth:My main in Brawl and secondary back in Melee. The character I'm currently most used to.
  3. :4wiifit:The only character I got to play at the Best Buy demo. I won, so maybe she'll click.
Go Kirby! Keep the tradition alive! Plus you get to see all of his cute transformations in action.

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
Little Mac's my boy! If he's unlockable, probably Mario or Marth, unless he's an unlockable too.

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936

1. :4kirby:My main from 64, and my first played in Melee and Brawl.
  2. :4marth:My main in Brawl and secondary back in Melee. The character I'm currently most used to.
  3. :4wiifit:The only character I got to play at the Best Buy demo. I won, so maybe she'll click.
Go with Kirby!

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
Umm, let's see.... depending on unlockables and whatnot, I would play Greninja first.

If ninja froggie's not a starter, then Little Mac :p

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
Lol Ninja froggie xD
Yeah XD it's what Greninja is though :p If I don't click with him, I'll just play terribly with my friends in ffas and watch as Greninja's glorious Screen KO takes up the screen! :rotfl:

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
Go Kirby! Keep the tradition alive! Plus you get to see all of his cute transformations in action.
Would it count as tradition by this point that Kirby's my first played in Melee/Brawl? Pikachu was my first in 64, Kirby second.

So the vote's currently Kirby, to continue my 2-game trend of playing him first.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Kirby (me) vs Mario vs Link vs Pikachu on Battlefield

Last edited:

JiNinja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hydro_jin
I'm gonna pick Marth just because he is my main and I want to see how bad he really is nerfed. I really hope that he's still viable.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I'm gonna pick Marth just because he is my main and I want to see how bad he really is nerfed. I really hope that he's still viable.
All I hear is his speed is nerfed, but I'm still maining him either way as you can see I main him in every game he's been in.

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
Link, to see how he compares to s***ty Brawl Link

Then probably Shulk (THE LEAK'S REAL, COME AT ME)
Link's new dash attack looks good. But poor Link has always been pretty crappy since day one. I'll probably play Tink more just cause.

Shulk would be a nice addition. I'm having serious doubts with the leak though -but that's just my opinion

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Link's new dash attack looks good. But poor Link has always been pretty crappy since day one. I'll probably play Tink more just cause.

Shulk would be a nice addition. I'm having serious doubts with the leak though -but that's just my opinion
Personally I think it's true, if only because it's already predicted Brinstar and that one room from the Tomodachi Life stage. I think that's the best argument for it aside from the unique character renders.

Last edited:

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
Personally I think it's true, if only because it's already predicted Brinstar and that one room from the Tomodachi Life stage. I think that's the best argument for it aside from the unique character renders.
I guess I'm just not the type to believe leaks :ohwell: I'm not gonna say much more about said leak because it's off topic

As for other characters to try out, I'm liking Zelda's Phantom Slash, so that may warrant some training with her. And Villager cause why not :p Maybe all the creepy memes will come back after the game releases XD

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Probably Classic Mode with Greninja or Lucina! I'm weirdly excited for Lucina and not even in a Waifu way...
I have to ask. Why is anyone excited about Lucina? Unless I've misunderstood something, she is just Marth with different power balance on her sword.

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
I have to ask. Why is anyone excited about Lucina? Unless I've misunderstood something, she is just Marth with different power balance on her sword.
I know, isn't it weird? I just find her aesthetics coupled with a variation of Marth's gameplay to be really cool and fun. I feel like the moveset combined with Marth makes him look like a bit of a wimp, but on Lucina it just works!

Ryan50

Smash Cadet
If she's available from the getgo, Robin, if not, good ol Mr. Dropkick (Bowser) will be the first character I'll try.

Top Bottom