• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who thinks the name "BRAWL" stinks?

DragoKnight

Smash Cadet
I don't mind Brawl, though I recall a topic a couple years back where someone came up with the name 'Frenzy'. Super Smash Bros. Frenzy. Yay? Nay?
The only thing I think is a tad dubious about Brawl is that it sounds a bit like a downgrade; when I think of a melee, I think of a massive, dramatic, spectacular fight. Brawl makes me think of a tactless throw-down. Doesn't sound as fancy, y'know? lol like that really makes a difference. Go BRAWL!!!

Sensai

Smash Master
Frenzy is a no-no from me.

Although, I dont mind Chaos. But what I'd really like is Super Smash Bros. Mindgames! (the ! is necessary).

KalimariDark

Smash Apprentice
Super Smash Bros. Melee II !

I'm sure that's what some people want, at least. Not that I do or anything >_>
I think...Brawl is pretty lame, like I thought the Wii name was, but will eventually grow on me, like the Wii name did.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
How about these names:

1. Super Smash Bros Melee 2
  2. Super Smash Bros Super Melee
  3. Super Smash Bros: Smash Academy
  4. Super Smash Bros: This Time Kirby Doesn't Suck
  5. Super Smash Bros: Kirby Still Sucks But This Time He’s Brought His Friends
  6. Super Smash Bros: Final Conflict
  7. Super Smash Bros: Allstars
  8. Super Smash Bros: Combat
  9. Ultra Smash Bros
  10. Super Smash Bros: Anihilation
  11. Super Smash Bros: The Next Generation
  12. Super Smash Bros: Still No Sonic
  13. Super Smash Bros: The Kids’ Predictions Were Right All Along

But I'm fine with the name Brawl.

Tera253

Smash Ace
well, if people are looking for alternative names, how about
4. Super Smash Bros. Showdown
5. Super Smash Bros. Murder
~Tera253~

JPW

Smash Ace
I like and I hate it to be honest.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl looks very good on paper, and on the cover. And the Brawl kind of makes it look more serious.

Lol just looked up my dictionary for a meaning of Brawl and I got this.

Brawl - A noisy quarrel or fight.
Melee - A confused fight, Skirmish or Scuffle.

Okay maybe Brawl isn't as serious as I thought, but it looks good on paper.
And it's kind of got an effect.

Reason against.
You are absolutely right it doesn't roll off the tongue like Super Smash Bros. Melee. But maybe that's because we haven't had the luxury of hearing it said through Nintendo words. I really didn't know how to pronounce Melee when I first heard it. And Melee is a term a lot of us were not use to. It's also the fact that we hear Melee being said tons of times on our screen we've grown acceptance to it.

Maybe we need to hear Brawl said out loud for support.

It's better then the name I had anyway. I always thought Brawl was a better word then melee back when I heard Melee was the title.

The name I had was Super Smash Bros. Smash em' up.
But that was when I had this crazy idea of them combining Mario Party, and Mario Kart with Smash Bros.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
super smash bros barfight!!!!
I thought it would be Super Smash Bros 3, Super Smash Bros Beatdown, or Super Smash Bros Showdown. I never would have thought of Brawl, and it doesn't feel completely as good as Melee yet. Once we all get to playing it a year or two, it will roll just as easily, even if Supe Smash Bros Barfight or Super Smash Bros Beat the Crap out of Noobs! would be better.

[well, if people are looking for alternative names, how about
4. Super Smash Bros. Showdown
5. Super Smash Bros. Murder
~Tera253~/QUOTE]

I personally would like SSBB most if the title was Super Smash Bros Total Noob Annilanation! Now that rolls off the tongue! Or how about these names below:

SSB All Clones Are Now Originals
SSB Noob Bloodshower
SSB Noob Masaccre
SSB Destroy Pichu!
SSB Triple Dash!!!
SSB Online: The Ultimate Noob Beatdown
SSB Total Fighting Mayhem
SSB Mass Murder
SSB Gore Feast

Those would work (Total Noob Annilanation! owns), but hey Brawl is awsome. Give it some time and it will roll off your tongue the same way Melee does. Brawl to me sounds good, but what would the 4th one be, lol. SSB Total Noob Annilanation!, that works, Nintendo should change it to that (or Barfight!)

I

i8waffles612

I dont mind the name, just sounds different.... the first thing that comes to my mind is the announcer.... it will sound a bit less better then melee

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
1. I always felt that the name Brawl suggests a fight that is determined through brute force and not finesse/strategy, and melee was the other way around.
2. Does it really matter what it's called? Whatever the name is, we'll all buy it, play it to death, and have a good time.
3. Be glad it's not called SUPER SMASH BROTHERS: MIILEE!!!!
4. For a second I thought SSB: finesse would be a good name but I can't imagine saying to my friends "let's go play finesse" while I can imagine saying "let's go play brawl". It is probably a good idea to test names by saying "let's go play (insert name here)"

A5modeu5

Smash Cadet
super smash sisters melee
super smash brothers extermination
super smash brothers no pokemon because they suck except meowth
or simply
super smash brothers WII

I

i8waffles612

super smash sisters melee
super smash brothers extermination
super smash brothers no pokemon because they suck except meowth
or simply
super smash brothers WII

half of those are horrible

nuro

Smash Lord
Brawl is a very good name since it allows my fingers to move to only two letters on my keyboard when I type ssbb.

But other than that I would have loved the name Super Smash Bros Battle Royal.

Konuk

Smash Journeyman
SuperSmash Brothers : jerry springer edition

I bet the annoucer is gonna say "Super Smash Bros. BRAWL!!" if he said it really long it would be funny

RebellionASG

Smash Cadet
Super Smash Bros. Skirmish? I always enjoyed that one...

Super Smash Bros.: GIVE HIM THE CHAIR! That's the best one. Period. End of discussion.
omg. lmao. sensai! that's quite possibly the greatest name of all time... henceforth, SSBB will be referred to as "Super Smash Bros.: GIVE HIM THE CHAIR!" <3 <3 <3 <3 thats unbelievably amazing

RDK

Smash Hero
omg. lmao. sensai! that's quite possibly the greatest name of all time... henceforth, SSBB will be referred to as "Super Smash Bros.: GIVE HIM THE CHAIR!" <3 <3 <3 <3 thats unbelievably amazing
I'm gonna pretend like that wasn't the biggest suck-up I've ever heard.

The name "Brawl" doesn't flow off the tounge as well as "Melee", but I seriously doubt that people will discontinue playing the game because of a less-than-flashy name.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Could someone explain "Give him the chair" to me? =<

Anyway, I agree. Not so much because it's weird to pronounce ( the symmetry of SSBB counters that well ), but rather because... the game was supposed to have a different style.. with opera singers and all...... "Brawl" really sounds more like a barfight. A barfight with the music from the first trailer... hmmmmmmm...
Actually, that's awesome.

I like some of the ideas that were brought up. Combat and Royal... or how about Super Smash Brothers Challenge?

Sh0ckwave

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. Wii would've been okay.

Super Smash Bros. 3 looks like Super Mario Bros. 3 (greatest game ever ftw), and that would be cool. But that and Super Smash Bros. Melee 2 would just be plain unoriginal. Super Smash Bros. War. Super Smash Bros. Feud. Super Smash Bros. Fray. Super Smash Bros. Scuffle. Smash '07. A lot of names they could've gone with. Most aren't as good as Brawl though.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
I like some of the ideas that were brought up. Combat and Royal... or how about Super Smash Brothers Challenge?
Actually, back when Melee was still new (fall '03) we were thinking what the name might be... considering they added a letter from SSB to SSBM, I thought they might add one more, and cast my prediction as it being Super Smash Bros: Battle Royale - SSBBR.

Eh, I got the B part right; technically, the R could count, as seeing it's on the Revolution and all :chuckle:

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it smells bad...
Naw, to be more serious...I don't mind it. The only beef I have with it is saying it out loud. Super Smash Brothers Brawl...it's a mouthful. I think otherwise, it's pretty nifty. Just saying it can be a little tough if you aren't careful.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Hey Burning Lava, you should go to www.engrish.com if that chaps your hide, lol.
But seriously, try to think of a better name than Brawl....it's tough. Just accept it, it's good enough.

Top Bottom