• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who says training on CPUS is bad

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I agree it is bad if you're new at the game. But once you understand the atmosphere of meele you can train on CPU's to improve on some skills easily you just have to be smart and not force bad habbits onto your style.

What I mean by that is don't do uneccessary things to CPU's that wont help you against humans. For example mindlessly f-smashing your opponent, or doing combos that wont work against a player who DI's.

I practice on CPU's to improve on certain areas of my game play, Such as being able to spam nair>shine quickly. Also acknoliging(sp?) Hitstun/Hitlag/Shield lag and spacing of my moves. And connecting some moves quickly over and over until my fingers can do it quickly. Using starman to practice against shield lag. But most of all you have to focus on your characters knockback,stun,sex-kicks in your attacks.
It's hard to explain, you just have to improve on areas where you don't force bad habbits on yourself.

This also helps with consitant gameplay, Look at Forward his fox is able to play the way he does because he knows exactly what to expect when he does his attacks, he knows how much stun the opponent will have how much time he has to react, and percentages of which the opponent reacts to hits.

I hope this helps some players. If you're new you probably wont understand what I'm trying to say.

WireFrameFan

Smash Rookie
I agree it is bad if you're new at the game.
When I was new at the game I practiced on CPUs. I remember my first melee match, I was against a 9 6 and 2. Came second because of lucky button mashing. I became great at melee from CPUs. I had my share of battles against humans but I owe most of my skills on practicing to lv8 CPUs. Then again.............. it may not work for everyone, so I digress.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
It will work on anyone as long as you're smart about how you train. Can't stress to say this enough.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
The Best CPU level to train on is Level 1 so you can work on your tech skill. The rest is just "learning" mind-games, and you need a real player to play against to learn that. Maybe 20 real players to get somewhat proficient.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
You're pretty much right; it's just that the area of improvement that you can get from CPUs is much smaller. Once your tech skill becomes solid then you've pretty much gotten all you can out of them, unless you're like m2k and you want to figure out every aspect of every move of your character.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
I spend most of my melee practice with CPUs sadly. However, it is a good way to learn spacing and to practice your ATs without getting hit in the face by your noob opponent at the wrong time. But I do agree that the only way to become truly awesome in Melee is to play against real people that are on/above your level of play. Even with playing CPUs I have to say my Marth would never be as good as it is without getting ***** at my first few tournaments. Losing to good players greatly increases your reaction time and thought processing and that is something that CPUs cannot do for you.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
How is practicing against a lvl1-9 computer better than going into Training Mode, though? In Training Mode, you at least have some control over what the CPU's doing.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Having something attack you so you can change on a dime what you're doing, seperate, and recontinue.

Soemthing like that, I guess.

And ****it Yuna, I keep thinking your avvy is that of Krystal, not a negative Peach.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Having something attack you so you can change on a dime what you're doing, seperate, and recontinue.

Soemthing like that, I guess.

And ****it Yuna, I keep thinking your avvy is that of Krystal, not a negative Peach.
Only it's highly ineffective since the computers will almost never even attempt to combo you and if they do, never do proper combos (99% of all computer "combos" are easily escapable)... and they never even use the best moves.

Peach never Dsmashes, Marth never does... anything useful and Ganondorf and Captain Falcon spam Up B. So what you're back to is Square Do Not Learn These Patterns Because no Smart Human Player Would Ever Utilize Them.

At which point Training Mode is looking mighty attractive.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I'm not going to get into a debate with this. It essentially comes down to if it works for the person, then so be it, do it. If you don't have friends that play or anywhere near your level, then that would be the way to go.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Yuna you completely missed what I'm trying to say in my first post.

It's not about how CPU's train you, It's about how you train yourself.

eh, do Event Match 51 over and over until you can do it flawlessly! :chuckle:
http://smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117

I'm not going to get into a debate with this. It essentially comes down to if it works for the person, then so be it, do it. If you don't have friends that play or anywhere near your level, then that would be the way to go.
I play nearly every day with siblings, if not them then 3 or 4 other smashers.. who are ranked higher then me. This is just another method of training.. mostly to those who can't play others.

amen_raw

Smash Rookie
i usually take on two level 9s for CPU practice. it eliminates the drab play of the single computer opponent. it definitely improves reaction time.

Rampage

vx
Good post, Roby. Lately I've been just practicing Shine -> Bair on computers and it works like 99% of the time. I haven't tried it on a human yet but I think the results might turn out the same. Yeah once you have technical skill at a certain point CPU's aren't as helpful unless you just want a punchingbag :]

On a completely unrelated note: How long did it take you to become so **** technical?

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
Owning lvl 1 CPUs always is good.
It doesnt help your mindgames much but its fun, you might get some better mindset and you train your techskill^^

Zodiac

Smash Master
Level 1 cpu's. as darkhart stated. are the best to train on, I use those all the time to imporve my falco/fox game,(Link is still my main) Or if I need to get to know a character I use them on cpu's first, then I move to humans. But I dont practice any kind of mindgames with my new characters on cpu's, its only wise to get to know the knock back, percentage, hitbox. ect ect. of each move before you move on to real matches.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
ok point is here that CPU's are usefull for a time being but like some of you have said, eventually you need to move on the human players. Eventually you learn the patterns of the CPU. For instance in SSB if you played Link as much as I did you would find just about 99% of the time he would begin the match by throwing his boomerang at you(well if you played at Zelda's castle). Playing against humans would definatly help improve your skill. It would push you if you found a rival to compete against.

Leech

Smash Journeyman
The Best CPU level to train on is Level 1 so you can work on your tech skill. The rest is just "learning" mind-games, and you need a real player to play against to learn that. Maybe 20 real players to get somewhat proficient.
Yes listen to Dark Hart! I train on lvl 1s for like an hour a day.. ( i have nothing better to do) and i can see myself progressing everyday and every tournament i go to! Training on lvl 9's defiantly gave me bad habits at first, when i was fighting my friends.. i would always loose. Thats until i started training on lvl 1's and mind gaming my friends.

Exypnos

Smash Cadet
trust me don't train on anything higher than lvl 1. it will *** your game up because you get used to the way they fight and when you fight a human you fight them like you would fight a cpu and you get owned most of the time. lvl 1 are good for practicing combos and stuff on thats about it.

Best101

Smash Ace
I learned all of that by just practicing against a lvl 1 comp only. Practicing against lvl 9 coms will give you bad habits if you are not careful. The comps power-shield every thing, try to grab you at any possible chance, tap A like there's no tomorrow, can't DI to save their life, never run, terrible at edge-guarding, terrible at recovering, etc. It's just really bad to train against them. Until you play with tournament regulars then you'll really see why they are so bad.

Zodiac

Smash Master
CPU training is for tech skill not mind games. and thats the basis of that.

Vodage

Smash Journeyman
I guess it's true. I've only been to one tourney so far but I did get pwned pretty hard. I play against level nines cuz I would die of boredom only playing against level 1s all the time, but I can see how practicing against level 1s to improve tech skill would make sense. At the same time, I see how playing against level 9s for years has left me with some weird habits. Humans don't fall for the same **** the CPs fall for.

Crazy thing tho is how the CP has pefect reflexes. I'll succesfully powershield(reflect) a projectile like once every 150 matches or so, whereas the l9 cp will do it multiple times in a match! haha

S0FT

Smash Ace
This comes down to your definition of "good training."
You can not practice with a computer lvl1 or lvl9 and go win a tournament.
The best way to train is with someone a lot better than you. It forces you to play your best every time.
You gain mind games, experience, and the ability to do AT in a real game.
CPU's are good tech practicing dummies, but once again you can not beat a good player with just tech skill.
(If you have any smidgen of common sense playing cpu's should never hurt your game. If you play a human player
and just sit there spamming forward smash and actually think it will work....)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I found the answer to this long ago. Rather than worry about whether or not to practice on CPUs for fear of developing patterns that don't work against humans, practice only things that do work on said AI. I personally train on low level CPUs for tech skill training, and I only use combos that always or often work against a real opponent.

One of the few uses of level 9s is to test the escapeability of certain characters in certain combos. Of course, the same can usually be ascertained in training mode, I just go VS. Mode because I'm used to c-sticking aerials.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
A lot of people say practicing on CPUs is good for practicing combos

but how do you know it's actually a combo? Even disregarding DI, computers often fail to jump out of the way etc.
So I find Training Mode is better cause it actually tells you if the combo you did actually works (disregarding DI of course)

elashish

Smash Rookie
I don't think you'll ever get your edge game down if you practice against CPUs all the time. I've never in my 4 weeks of experience seen a CPU legitimately come off the edge for a spike or do a sheik bair or anything like that. And have you ever seen a samus CPU bomb jump or a fox jump out of a shine? I haven't.

That being said, playing against CPUs can still be effective for your ground game and combos (although if they don't DI you'll probably find that a lot of stuff doesn't work). I played CPUs 99% of the time when I played ssb64 and I've never been beaten by another human. Yes, it took 6 years, but look at me now, look at me now... still, my egde game there is also pretty crappy.

EDIT: also, if it helps you learn the physics, well that doesn't hurt either

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Again,

It's now training on CPU's that help.
It's HOW you train on them that helps.

Look up any of my vids on youtube, search SpaceFalcon

If you place close attention to how I play some of you might understand.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
yea I def agree that training on cpu's is helpful.

when your playing with a person you don't get the repetition you need to become fluent with certain techniques that are simply necessary in order to use mindgames effectively.

EDIT

nice fox by the way.

Top Bottom