• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Recovers The Highest in Smash 4?

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
On reddit and youtube, a lot of people were dissatisfied with the video because it doesn't use certain characters' recoveries properly or to their fullest, ie Pac Man, Shulk, and some others. The user just used Up B pretty much. A better version of this video could surely be made.

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
What about...

- Lucario with more / max aura
- Luigi with his downB
- Wario with his bike

Nice video, but it doesn't even use all the characters' available options.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Not buying it. The list is bull****, calling it now. Too many things not accounted for.
It's not BS, but it DOES leave out some factors. It's very likely to be true though, as far as the raw data is concerned, since for other factors we'd just need to either adjust a few recoveries or add some (like max power lucario)

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Is real!

In order:

4.Olimar
3.R.O.B.
2. Lucario
1. Villager

Those four has the best recovery in the game.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
...I love you, :4villager:.

Also, mashing the B button during :4wiifit:'s Super Hoop will make it go faster and higher. Pretty sure they didn't do that in the video.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Rather pointless video, since it counts ground jumps which aren't usable as off-stage recovery.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
as a ROB main I wanna see how far he goes is he optimizes the fuel instead of downright letting it all go at once. I'm pretty sure he'd go higher and probably closer to villager.

NoteBlock

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEvyBoy
I found the fact that the villager's recovery was the best hilarious, especially when you consider that he(or she) has never jumped once in the entire franchise! XD

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
I think Olimar with different amounts of Pikmin would be irrelevant, as that's his top. But Jump Shulk and high-aura Lucario might be important. Pretty sure Villager still beats them all though.
dude have you actually seen how far lucario goes at high damage its sooooo unecessary, you can fly from like the stage to the top blast zone

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
dude have you actually seen how far lucario goes at high damage its sooooo unecessary, you can fly from like the stage to the top blast zone
With Villager as well XP

But I admit, it IS huge.

Last edited:

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Eh, I can take it or leave it really. There is useful info here, but it's not done properly and only takes the default up specials into account.

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
Leaving aside all of the relevant other moves, you could have at least done the up-B's to maximum height. Pika and Greninja were done with a single up input instead of one up and one diagonal.

Looking at it in training mode, a lucario at max aura has more vertical distance on up-B than villager, not to mention he jumps higher.

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
The bike isn't relevant to vertical recoveries as far as I'm aware, but THE WAFT IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE
If you jump off the bike (I'm pretty sure it uses the attack button.) you jump about as high as a fully charged waft. It factors heavily into vertical recovery. Just set the cpu to lvl 9 and watch them recover.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
You know who probably beats Villager?

Jump Art Kirby. Bet you forgot he can use Arts.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think we can all agree this video left out some important factors out when testing out the characters but still good for basic general information regarding recovery height. I am willing to bet all of my lunch money that we will be seeing videos and long-winded essays on recovery height w/ additional factors in the months to come.

Also, I think we can all agree that the Villager has one of the most OP recovery move when it comes to recovery distance.

Last edited:

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
So much salt about this video, even if it is inaccurate in some instances it's at least laying the groundwork for further research to be conducted. Maybe instead of complaining about how everything is wrong, haters should go out and make their own videos where it's done properly for every character.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
They seriously didn't account for enough factors. They forgot Luigi nado too. I'd give it a C.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It's not BS, but it DOES leave out some factors. It's very likely to be true though, as far as the raw data is concerned, since for other factors we'd just need to either adjust a few recoveries or add some (like max power lucario)
Yes it is, yes it does, and no it isn't, in that order. For one, you don't recover on stage so he done already ****ed up by adding double jumps. He didn't include a lot of important **** like the Cyclone, Tornado, Jump, Lucario in Team Rocket mode, Bomb jumping, bike jumping, Wafting, Bowser's mashing Fortress, and more I don't feel like naming. Then he used moving platforms which screwed with some of the recoveries, so bam, 3 **** ups. What he shoulda did was make a stage with normal size blocks stacked onto each other, cause if iirc, each block is 1 meter or some **** like that, and that'd be a better calculation than how far they can go on stage with moving platforms (which by the way, you never have to deal with while recovering). Good idea, but ideas only get you so far.
And note, that's not even bringing customs into it.

Yes it is, yes it does, and no it isn't, in that order. For one, you don't recover on stage so he done already ****ed up by adding double jumps. He didn't include a lot of important **** like the Cyclone, Tornado, Jump, Lucario in Team Rocket mode, Bomb jumping, bike jumping, Wafting, Bowser's mashing Fortress, and more I don't feel like naming. Then he used moving platforms which screwed with some of the recoveries, so bam, 3 **** ups. What he shoulda did was make a stage with normal size blocks stacked onto each other, cause if iirc, each block is 1 meter or some **** like that, and that'd be a better calculation than how far they can go on stage with moving platforms (which by the way, you never have to deal with while recovering). Good idea, but ideas only get you so far.
Edit: Jump Kirby, Rising Pound, whatever that power pellet **** Pac-Man does is, Cape, Toad, did they use Egg Toss? Don't remember. Last hit of Air Slash, if he was gonna do moving platforms, he shoulda took into account that Mega bounces higher on Rush the second time, you can mash Super Hoop I think, and more I don't wanna think about right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I mean, do YOU wanna make a video detailing everything, or....?

I think this dude deserves more praise, considering he laid the foundation for stuff we can work more on to develop fully into something more usable.

You're acting as if he commited some serious offense....

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I mean, do YOU wanna make a video detailing everything, or....?

I think this dude deserves more praise, considering he laid the foundation for stuff we can work more on to develop fully into something more usable.

You're acting as if he commited some serious offense....
Sure. You wanna get me the equipment? Do you wanna make a video detailing why he's right, or...? Cause trust me, it's gonna be hard. With all due respect to whoever made this, come on, he really didn't find anything that we weren't capable of finding ourselves. YOU act like he discovered some game changing, groundbreaking tech. It's good he put forth the effort and a lot of people appreciate it, but that doesn't mean it's right. Paula Dean can give me a plate of food, but if it's not good, it's not good, I don't care if I can make it or not. She made it and it wasn't good, that's what matters. You can put all the work in the world into something, but if the results not good, then it wasn't much in the end, was it?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
No surprise there. I always knew the Villager has the best recovery in the game.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Sure. You wanna get me the equipment? Do you wanna make a video detailing why he's right, or...? Cause trust me, it's gonna be hard. With all due respect to whoever made this, come on, he really didn't find anything that we weren't capable of finding ourselves. YOU act like he discovered some game changing, groundbreaking tech. It's good he put forth the effort and a lot of people appreciate it, but that doesn't mean it's right. Paula Dean can give me a plate of food, but if it's not good, it's not good, I don't care if I can make it or not. She made it and it wasn't good, that's what matters. You can put all the work in the world into something, but if the results not good, then it wasn't much in the end, was it?
Everything here is accurate, at a base level, except maybe Link's missing 1 floor.

Sure, a lot of characters here could recover higher than that, but nothing he's done is inherently wrong. In fact, this could all be taken as just a fun video he made to see which character can jump the highest from onstage, with just double jump and upB.

Why not? There's no reason to make a video to state whether he is right or not, because what he did is just kinda entertainin.

I also have no reason why you are upset as if this video insults your ancestors x-x

I sure found it cute, albeit at a base level. Youtube is a place of free expression, so why SHOULDN'T he make something like that? No one else has, and while it could have been more accurate, now we know (Wii Fit Trainer aside) the raw jump + jump + upB potential of characters. Might help, who knows~

But getting upset at it won't solve anythin, it's just a fun video~ ^.^

Oh and as a closing statement; sure, we could all find this out ourselves. But the same applies for using the other characters' different recovery options to make them go higher. The fact is he took time out of his life to make a map specifically for this, and then proceeded to record every character, compiling them into a neat video for us.

I REALLY don't understand what's so insulting here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom