• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is your Main and why do you main them?

What is your Playstyle?

• Hyper Agressive

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Agressive

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Aggression : Defensive

Votes: 127 54.7%
  • Defensive

Votes: 29 12.5%
  • Turtle Defensive

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Bait n Wait

Votes: 20 8.6%

• Total voters

Dutch Kirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
WhiscashQueen
3DS FC
3754-9493-1303
Well, I'm a Kirby main since I started Smashing in 2003 or 2004 in Melee. Nothing changed in Brawl or Smash 4. Kirby is adorable, that's why I started playing as him. And I love flying/hovering/floating, swallowing, Kirbycide... I have no reason to switch mains.

Playing style: depends on an opponent. I often start a battle taunting and going near a ledge, swallowing. A stupid opponent - and believe me, lots of people on For Glory are - will walk right into my trap and get Kirbycided/Swallowcided.

If an opponent won't fall for that, I'll let them run at me and try to get them to make the first move. If they do, I jump or roll to avoid, or use Final Cutter for residual damage, either from a distance or more directly. When they use projectiles, I use the stone to be immune from enough distance to not get grabbed.

Whenever I feel it's possible, I use many C-stick/Smash attacks and sometimes a Hammer if possible. It feels so satisfying to get instant KO's on opponents with little damage using the fully loaded fire hammer.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm a Kirby main since I started Smashing in 2003 or 2004 in Melee. Nothing changed in Brawl or Smash 4. Kirby is adorable, that's why I started playing as him. And I love flying/hovering/floating, swallowing, Kirbycide... I have no reason to switch mains.

Playing style: depends on an opponent. I often start a battle taunting and going near a ledge, swallowing. A stupid opponent - and believe me, lots of people on For Glory are - will walk right into my trap and get Kirbycided/Swallowcided.

If an opponent won't fall for that, I'll let them run at me and try to get them to make the first move. If they do, I jump or roll to avoid, or use Final Cutter for residual damage, either from a distance or more directly. When they use projectiles, I use the stone to be immune from enough distance to not get grabbed.

Whenever I feel it's possible, I use many C-stick/Smash attacks and sometimes a Hammer if possible. It feels so satisfying to get instant KO's on opponents with little damage using the fully loaded fire hammer.
That was me before I started playing competitively ^.^

Though I never use those kinds of strategies as a competitive player, it's really funny to see how they seem to always work on FG scrubs. Kirby's not very good in the later games, but he's still really fun to play, and I'd definitely main him if I were to pick up Smash 64 ;)

Dutch Kirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
WhiscashQueen
3DS FC
3754-9493-1303
That was me before I started playing competitively ^.^

Though I never use those kinds of strategies as a competitive player, it's really funny to see how they seem to always work on FG scrubs. Kirby's not very good in the later games, but he's still really fun to play, and I'd definitely main him if I were to pick up Smash 64 ;)
Makes sense, I play on For Glory without tournament access. Kirbycide works against even better For Glory players, but I highly doubt serious tournament pros would fall for it so easily. The same goes for the fully charged fire hammer. And smart people use their shield to block a Final Cutter from distances.

In tournaments, I'd mostly have to resort to more combos, grabs, only use Stone when the opponent is in the air, and no longer using Final Cutter as a long-distance projectile. Kirbycide only when in the air and going down, not on the ground, I won't get that chance.

Still, if I'd ever go to a tournament, I would never stop maining Kirby. He's the only character I can properly play with, I don't think it's possible to get better with another character in short amounts of time when you have 12 years of Kirby experience on your belt as an addicted gamer. And I just wouldn't enjoy it as much. If I would ever become a frequent tournament player, I'd try to get even better as a Kirby main.

Last edited:

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
:4palutena: not only is my main since day 1 of Smash 4 but is still my favorite character in all of Smash 4 (unless Snake somehow sneaks his way back in but that'll likely never happen so the Goddess stays.)

I love the concept of her character. I love characters who are designed around retaliation. I love being able to switch to different play styles to mix things up all to counter my opponent and take advantage of their weaknesses. Is she perfect? No, I feel she still needs more buffs but she's probably the only character where if Snake or Wolf somehow found their way back into Smash 4 I wouldn't replace Palutena with either of them.

Plus her air game in phenominal. So many ways to air combo, great kill moves in the air, and they can be used for pretty decent edge guarding opitions against faster characters. I just love Palutena all too much.

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
:4zelda:- I have always been a fan of LoZ. Zelda is just so beauitful and graceful, yet strong and wise
:4lucina:- I love a woman that is strong both mentally and physically. I really fell in love with her personality in FE:A and super happy to see her in Sm4sh
:4cloud2:- FFVII is one of my favorite games of all time and its still crazy to see him on the character select screen in my opinion. I like that he is realitively easy to play and is very effective. Also he looks great in a dress XD

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
I am technically a Link main, since I just have more time in game with him. But I like to say I have two "Main Level" characters.
Link and Greninja, Which is funny to some because they have no moveset or playstyle compatibility.

With Link I actually have no set playstyle simply because I am a player who constantly switches tactics throughout the battle. However I have one of the most solid projectile walls in my local scene, which is why I have been accused on many occasions of spamming.

With Greninja I play fast and hard, but I tend to be safe with it, if such a thing is possible. Needless to say, you don't want to make a mistake around my Greninja play. However while my frog can get intense at times I'm always ready to mash the D-Pad down for the oh so wonderful down taunt of destiny. I've never gone a match of serious play without getting at least one good hit with the down taunt.

The Real Mr. M

Smash Rookie
I go Pikachu because:

1) He's my favorite character on the roster, and

2) His play style suits me well. I've always loved the fast, quick hitters in any of the competitive games that I've played, and he fits the bill here.

TK8305

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TK8305
Jigs and Kirby for me! They are my top two...good, bad, or indifferent!

On the side I enjoy using Ganondorf, Roy, Ike, Yoshi, Doc, Mac, Greninja and Zelda. So yeah you can see why I'm more a casual. Maintaining any kind of consistency with that many characters is impossible for me but damnit I love using them all! lol...

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
Sheik.:4sheik: I do my best to not look at tier lists or base my opinions on what other people consider are good characters. I enjoy very technical fast characters. I've also found easy to play characters to be less enjoyable and also don't enjoy slow moving characters.
I loved Fox in N64 and Melee and Mained him in both those games since day 1. Brawl Fox didn't feel the same to me and I just didn't enjoy him as much and in Sm4sh Sheik was the super fast technical, "harder to play" character so I gravitated towards playing her. She's still my favorite character to play despite her 1.1.5 nerfs (RIP) Even though my Fox/ZSS might be better I just feel comfortable with Sheik especially when it comes to ledge recoveries and edge guards. Only Puff do I feel stronger at edge guarding with. I hate hate hate campy playstyles so I like her rushdown style. Her needles to give her that little bit so if someone starts to play what in my opinion is a lame character/playstyle I can punish them with needles or approach them quickly and make them play the game at the pace I want to play. That's probably what I like about Sheik most is I'm not forced to play a certain way.
Like I've always liked playing Samus just bc I like Samus as a character and I'll play up in your face Samus but if there's like a villager then they you get kinda forced into this projectile spam fight and I dislike that. Especially when it makes sm4sh play even slower and I like a faster paced game.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
I haven't been able to choose a main since many of the characters are just so much fun. I am looking into Kirby since he is my all time favorite video game character.. which is a good reason. He isn't the most viable so I may even choose someone else.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
It's really interesting to notice the casual pla
I haven't been able to choose a main since many of the characters are just so much fun. I am looking into Kirby since he is my all time favorite video game character.. which is a good reason. He isn't the most viable so I may even choose someone else.
Don't look away from Kirby because he's not a viable character. There are many players, including top professionals, who are dedicated to maining low or bottom tier characters in all the games because 1) the character suits them, or 2) the character is just very fun for them to play.

In fact, when I switched to Villager, I was previously maining Mario, who was actually ranked higher on the tier list than Villager. Although I partially chose to play Villager since he fits a campy playstyle (which is helpful against Bayonetta), I found Villager much more fun to play than Mario.

The bottom line is, just play who you think is the most fun to play. In the worst case scenario, just find a top-tiered secondary. You did point out that you find a great portion of the cast to be fun to play.

scotch_free

Smash Rookie
I main Villager and Greninja. I love the play style of both and live for moments like these:
(Sorry about the voice at the end... Does anyone know how to mute video sound?)

Last edited:

jcx

Smash Journeyman
I main Villager and Greninja. I love the play style of both and live for moments like these:
Yeah, that Villager. He's so damn fun to play; my previous post in this thread shows my experience with picking him up.

Weirdly enough, my cousin is a Greninja main, although he hasn't figured out Up-B gimps and he's been leaning closer and closer to Corrin.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I main Toon Link. I really don't have a reason, other than his movement and play style was fluid and came naturally to me. I also enjoy playing as MegaMan (getting better with him) Falco, and Dr. Mario (not so good with him...)

I also feel more comfortable with fighters who are quick, but not too fast. Toon Link falls into that category pretty well. I tried Link, but I just couldn't work it like I did with Toon. Their styles are different, or at least the way I was using them. Plus with Toon I can dash into the brawl and or fight from afar. I like that I can switch his fighting style up. Not that I'm saying other fighters can't do that.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Robin was my most wanted newcomer for the game, and I have to say, I haven't been disappointed. Something about his playstyle just clicks with me. The zoning tools, the ability to keep opponents out while also forcing them into doing what I want, then gaining the upper hand, racking up ridiculous damage, and killing them early without breaking a sweat. When I'm playing at my best, when every motion and attack flows perfectly, I feel like an actual tactician...well, when there isn't lag to screw everything up.

And then Corrin's been a nice bonus.

Reiwai

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darkchibiterasu
I main Corrin. Before we even got Roy and Lucas, I said to my friends: "You know who I bet will be in Smash? The main character from the new Fire Emblem." They proceeded to laugh at me and call me an idiot, saying that there's enough Fire Emblem characters in Smash, and no one cares about FE anyway. You're just an idiot.

The day of the direct, I sent them a text:
"Who's the idiot now?"

I main Corrin just to laugh in their face.

Well, and I really enjoy his playstyle. But mostly spite.

scotch_free

Smash Rookie
Jcx said:
Weirdly enough, my cousin is a Greninja main, although he hasn't figured out Up-B gimps
The options it adds are situational but when used correctly it's so satisfying. It can be used to intercept and create openings against opponents who approach while airborne too. Plus mind games are always fun

Last edited:

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
Lucina, Falco, and Corrin are my mains.

I mostly main Corrin in Sm4sh because of how well she fits my playstyle. I'm also a huge Fire Emblem lover so thats a huge factor as to why i decided to choose Corrin. Her lance reaches so far that my random F-Smash attacks can be considered as "Safe" just because of how far I could stand back and just throw out my F-Smash and it'll either miss and i can roll back/forward, or I can land a hit and deal some damage. I also make a lot of unsafe moves and decisions that Corrin's moveset just fixes for me.
Also I have a foot fetish.

Lucina mainly because Marth was my pocket in previous games but I could never perfect my spacing with Marth. Lucina is less reliant on spacing which is a big help for me and since she more of less has the same moveset as Marth, it wasn't hard to adapt to Lucina.

Falco because well, I main Falco in every other Smash game (Ofc with the exception of Smash64). His laser can make enemies flinch unlike Fox's and my need to randomly throw out projectiles fits well with Falco's lasers. I'm a bit hesitant to play Falco in competitive matches because of how different he is now compared to his Melee style but if my back is against a wall, I'll switch to Falco in a heartbeat and he doesnt let me down (Usually...)
Please get a buff...

jcx

Smash Journeyman
lmao wtf. That's one way to put it very bluntly.
I LOL'd at that... unfortunately, it was hard for me to start combos with the barefoot waifu :p

I actually have a vore fetish, but the digestive system-like Master Fortress or Kirby can't satisfy it :p

Rhinomaster22

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rhinomaster22
Mains:
:4sonic: - Favorite video game character and franchise since childhood
:4fox: - Second favorite character in Smash and used him in every installment
:4cloud: - Love his move-set and introduced me to Final Fantasy
For fun:
:4pit:/:4darkpit: - Kid Icarus Uprising. 10/10. Hilarious and strong character development
:4lucina: - Strong female character and best daughter
:4falco: - "Personally, I prefer the air." - Falco 2016

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Mains:
:4sonic: - Favorite video game character and franchise since childhood
:4fox: - Second favorite character in Smash and used him in every installment
:4cloud: - Love his move-set and introduced me to Final Fantasy
For fun:
:4pit:/:4darkpit: - Kid Icarus Uprising. 10/10. Hilarious and strong character development
:4lucina: - Strong female character and best daughter
:4falco: - "Personally, I prefer the air." - Falco 2016
And all three of your mains are strong in competitive play! Whether it be prior knowledge or amazing luck, great job! :3

Dawn111

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-9069-5382
Ever since I have downloaded Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta on my 3DS, I've mained both Cloud and Corrin. Cloud is one of my two mains, because his sword is badass. It has decent range and it is very strong especially when using limit break moves or smash attacks. Corrin is also my main character, because all of his specials are so amazingly useful. His counter is so strong, and his neutral special is so powerful that it can bite his opponent when he's at close range Plus, Male Corrin sounds so nice in my opinion.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
:4ness: This story is weird. So, back in my casual days I wa trying to beat Tabuu on Intese mode and then I saw a video of a guy beating him with :popo::metaknight::lucas::gw::pikachu2::rob:. The character that stuck the most out of these group to me was :lucas:, and I was, "this :ness2: is the same, I don't like Lucas so might as well use him." Of course I didn't beat Tabuu, but I stuck playing :ness2:, is PKT recovery fascinated me despite how garbage it was, and PKF is always fun in casuals. Then I wanted to get into competitive Brawl (about the time it was dying LOL) and I discovered he was complete garbage. Then I learned about P:M, where he was not garbage and played casual there. Then I was hoping Ness wasn't garbage in Smash 4, and my wish got granted, but I struggled to get good against real people, as I have been playing isolated for years. Ness just connects with me. How I'm such a troll and how I have a weird enjoyment of struggling (by playing a short ranged, crappy neutral, garbage recovery character). Most people know me for being the weird kid that play Ness and I get taunted a lot but I don't care, I have fun in the process.

:4lucina:Another weird story. When I saw her announced an got the info that she was easy Marth (someone who I wanted to play but I couldn't) I got exited and played her on the first week. Only to find out she was complete garbage and didn't suited me AT ALL. I dropped her. And after adquiring fundamentals, I went back and forth with Lucina, and 1.1.5 cemented it, as I enjoyed playing her for disrespect and challenge. But now I actually enjoy playing her for REAL, and not just for sandbagging. She represents to me the risk of taking options in life, how you can keep good momentum, but the moment you screw up you get punished severely, and if you don't have a strong mind or motivation to continue, you won't get back on rail, mostly because Lucina's autocancels are trash, her specials super laggy, and her recovery garbage too, but yes, and it also fits with my sick enjoyment of struggling.

:4miisword: I love playing this character. For the pure disrespect and challenge. Yes, I play 1111 :4miisword:, and it is complete TRASH. Sometimes I get upset how a single touch offstage is death, how easy is too juggle SF, and how lamely slow her options are, but like Lucina, I like the struggle and the decision making that involves playing a bad character, but unlike Lucina, who is just disapointing, SF is truly trash, and I still struggle to edgeguard, but that is the process of learning. I also fell motivated to play her, as I based my SF on someone special.

:4gaw: I love disrespecting people and gimping them with turtles. Yeah, no soul connection here.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Zero suit Samus

Has 2 tether recoveries(grab,FS),vertical recovery(US),horizontal recovery(DS)

Too bad her grab startup ...IS LAGGY
Yep. Two hard-to-intercept recovery moves AND two tethers. ZSS has the best recovery in the game (taking edgeguarding, reliability, etc. into account, because it's no secret that Villager's recovery goes the furthest).

Yoyoenix91

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yoyoenix91
3DS FC
4425-1925-6141
Technically, I main Zelda. I'm not sure why, I just feel like she fits me like a glove. Though I also really enjoy Bayonetta.
Maybe it's only because I know Zelda's bnbs well.

ZuGo

Smash Rookie
:4drmario:
It was simply my destiny to main this character, when the character leaks happened I knew. Long story short, I got used to the way doc is played and really enjoyed. I feel like up b is like the ultimate combo breaker, I can escape almost any combo. Ness's pk fire is completely useless against me when I can just keep spamming super jump punch while I'm trapped, the ness can't even touch me without getting hit by pk fire cancelled up b after up b! It's comical.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
:4myfriends:

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is my favorite video game of all time, and is largely responsible for me getting into video games as a major hobby. Ike in particular happens to be one of my favorite protagonists in any entertainment medium. I actually didn't know about the Smash Dojo when Ike was announced for Brawl, but the minute I found out he was in I decided to main him as long as he's in the series. I've messed around with various secondaries including :4shulk:, :4ryu:, and most recently :4sheik:, but I will always like Ike no matter how good or bad he is.

sc_nixon

Smash Rookie
:4villager: He has the move set and frame data to perform very well in a competitive environment, he has a projectile(s) which forces approach, he has the best recovery in the game, he has a ton of tricky set ups that always keep your opponent guessing, he has pocket to steal any projectile, AND he's from one of the most fun and stress relieving games ever made (the GC version). He's perfect.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I main Yoshi (:4yoshi:) because I figured he has really good moves and frame date, so I can make a really aggressive playstlyle from it as well as f**king with my opponent doing weird things like b-reversing on-stage or just doing the most casual option.

The Butt Rumbler

Smash Rookie
:4samus:

Samus is a character that I have always love ever since first being introduced to her via the Prime series. Metroid Prime was the first amongst the Metroid games I had ever played, and still today remains one of my favorite games to have ever played. Samus feels right for me. I used to play Mario, but always felt that Mario's lack of range was what did me in, since fireball, while a solid projectile when used right, just wasn't enough for me. Having missiles and charge shot really does wonders for me. Not to mention how Samus can be played is also very neat.

I like to play Samus as a reactionary character. I'm able to be very defensive while also being aggressive at times, allowing for a lot of ways to mix-up how I play, not to mention things like being able to short hop/short hop air dodge into any aerial (aside from fair. Just aint wise to fair due to landing lag and well... its fair) is nice. Having that solid mix of aggression and defensive play while maintaining a kit that allows you to play in many ways is something I can appreciate. It helps more that Samus has a kit like that, since I like her as much as I do.

Lastly... her combos can be so stylish at times, and I am a man who loves to style when able.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
:4ludwig: is the character I've been playing since day one but since my local recently freed the Miis I've been using :4miigun: to compliment my turtle zoning style.

Dandefuzz

Smash Rookie
King Dedede is my main because his moveset is the most enjoyable for me. He's also a pretty cool character imo, which is a plus.

adz

Smash Cadet
most of my characters are based on efficiency, i.e. getting the absolute most out of one hit. i guess this comes from the fact that i came from a street fighter background, where combos are everything.

dk: initally i picked dk in 3ds prepatch because i wanted to prove that he could be good. then cargo throw combos happened and i fell in love. don't use him as much but i'll still pull him out for the mario matchup and light chars

bayo: heavies autolose the bayonetta matchup, and i dislike the ganon/d3/bowser matchup as dk, so it was an easy choice to pick up. combos aren't bad either.

villager: this is the one character that i like that cannot kill early. i like villager simply for the excellent neutral and space control. my playstyle with him is different as well; while i play the above two very patiently, i use villager very aggresively, using fair and bair to space, and heavy usage of nair oos. i picked him up after seeing ranai @ genesis 3.

Top Bottom