• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is registered for EVO?

Slyer

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone, new to the community. I'm looking forward to playing others at this event, it will be my first tournament and while I haven't fought a real duel in a long time I'll give it my best. Hopefully won't lose right away, I can beat two teamed level 9s solo (three if I'm cheap as heck) but I'm sure this doesn't compare to fighting a pro.

In fact that's precisely why I'm going to drive three hundred miles to be at EVO...finally someone else to play this damn game with.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
That's great, and this is going to be one hell of an event to get you hooked on it but I suggest checking out the advance how to play videos in YouTube by wak. A group is currently making a newer version which should be out before Evo but its a great way to learn the basics of competitive play.

If you can get those out of the way (assuming you haven't yet, though I'm not sure) you can take Evo as a learning experience rather than a loss. I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless.

Slyer

Smash Cadet
Heh well I'm damn fast so I might surprise you all...emphasis on might. Even if I get my arse kicked back to AZ I agree that no matter what I'll have an awesome time.

Thanks for the advice about YouTube, going to go check that out.

Slyer

Smash Cadet
I'm up in Flagstaff, are there any in the north? Melee is my favorite game of all time and I'm as good at it as I can get vs CPs, anyone else I play casually against isn't devoted to it so they're actually less of a challenge than the 9s.

Also, I'm surprised no one fights eachother online somehow in this day and age...or is this not true?

Bear in mind I do have rookie tatooed...

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Online play sucks though people are trying to make improvements. Also, a lot of people will tell you playing level 9s is counter productive. They're very predictable and use perfect timings that humans usually won't anyways. Most face lvl 1s or 4s mostly just to practice comboing so they won't drop one in a match though fighting all level CPUs is good for practicing a bunch of different situations. And since you'll usually be playing 1v1 it is really counter productive to face 2-3 CPUs. It just ends up being a spammy cluster**** with no combos.

Check the regional boards, AZ has a lot of really good players so you might be able to find some people in your area or at the very least a tournament within driving distance.

Slyer

Smash Cadet
That all makes sense. I have noticed that 2-3 turns into...ugh. It is handy to sharpen one's skills of evasion though.

I will check those boards. Also wanted to thank you for recommending those YouTube tutorials, the guy knows his stuff and I'm finding everything eminently helpful. Melee truly is dynamic and intricate, with an element of strategy unrivaled beneath the surface. It's one of the reasons I love it so much.

Heh hopefully I can find some really skilled players here in AZ before EVO so I know what I'm getting in to...found a tournament in May down in Tuscon, I might just hop in my car and attend so I don't face Vegas blind.

Top Bottom