• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Who Is Diego Umejuarez? - Ryu Q&A Thread

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
We can buffer option selects?? WE HAVE OPTION SELECTS??? I never knew. What are our good OSes?

Also, what are some good moves for OoS?
So far, my best moves for OoS are Shoryuken and Side Smash. Played 20 matches as Ryu yesterday on FG, won 18/2. I need to make some statements on the Match Up Thread.

And no, we can't choose buffer options (i guess).

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I haven't been a competitive SF player for quite some time now (I stopped at super Street fighter 2, so yeah) and though I tried getting into sf4 when it first came out, I have no idea what option select is. Care to explain please?

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
I haven't been a competitive SF player for quite some time now (I stopped at super Street fighter 2, so yeah) and though I tried getting into sf4 when it first came out, I have no idea what option select is. Care to explain please?
The window of time in which the game register a move patern, later triggering in the special movement.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
The window of time in which the game register a move patern, later triggering in the special movement.
Can you cancel the input with a different input? Would it be like a cancel of sorts? For example, Soulcalibur's delay and cancel system?

An option select is doing an input which functions as multiple options simultaneously.
A really simple example is doing Ryu's strong Dtilt, and pressing B, or doing the fireball input while he performs the move. If the Dtilt hits a shield or the opponent, it'll cancel into a fireball. If it whiffs, nothing happens.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Does anyone know the inputs for getting light shoryuken to come out? Can't seem to figure it out,I know I got it to come out somehow

Last edited:

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
Can you cancel the input with a different input? Would it be like a cancel of sorts? For example, Soulcalibur's delay and cancel system?
Not exactly. I'll try to explain as follow, it's just an example, not the real thing:

- SF: Do the shoryuken input: You have half a second to press any punch bottom, doing so will activate the Shoryuken skill.
- SB4: Do the shoryuken input: You have a full second to press any bottom, doin so will activate the Shoryuken.

Smaller windows make efficient inputs, as the chances to input a wrong command, in the wrong time, is far more restrict.

Does anyone know the inputs for getting light shoryuken to come out? Can't seem to figure it out,I know I got it to come out somehow
Trying using it with the grab button. 100% you will get the light variation.

Last edited:

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
OS's would be nice but I can't think of what would help this game is so fast paced. I see Ryu on my screen i'm tryna play damn footsies lol.

Jump Cancelled True Shoryuken
How are you getting true DP oos? The fast way I could do it was shifting my shield down, and hitting jump while buffering move.. still jump quite a bit. Am I not fast enough? What button motions are you doing.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
OS's would be nice but I can't think of what would help this game is so fast paced. I see Ryu on my screen i'm tryna play damn footsies lol.

How are you getting true DP oos? The fast way I could do it was shifting my shield down, and hitting jump while buffering move.. still jump quite a bit. Am I not fast enough? What button motions are you doing.
I believe it has to do with your speed. While in shield I press jump (For Jump Cancels I always use L, which I have set to jump) then do Down+Forward, Down+Forward + A. Practice it in Training mode and see if that works for you. Don't quit training mode until you can land ten in a row.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Wait, jump cancelled SF imput shoryuken? How do we perform this move?
See
I believe it has to do with your speed. While in shield I press jump (For Jump Cancels I always use L, which I have set to jump) then do Down+Forward, Down+Forward + A. Practice it in Training mode and see if that works for you. Don't quit training mode until you can land ten in a row.

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
brb modding my fight stick for WII U. lol ok. Have you tested vs shorter dash attacks and whatnot?

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
What's the preferred input for a shoryken?

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I can't seem to hit soft nair off a SH consistently. How do you do it?

Knighto

Smash Rookie
Is the walk forward utilt lock in place and then across the stage guaranteed? I think it is at least on all the fast fallers, yet I don't see anyone talking about this anywhere. It seems like this is quite game breaking in those matchups since an uptilt at any percent can lead to death.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'm a bit confused about Ryu's weak-strong inputs. I understand that tapping does the weak hits for tilts and jab and holding it does the strong. But is there a 'medium'? Or are the Smash attacks "strong"? I keep worrying that I'm missing something.

Also, I'm guessing there's no weak-strong in aerials?

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
I'm a bit confused about Ryu's weak-strong inputs. I understand that tapping does the weak hits for tilts and jab and holding it does the strong. But is there a 'medium'? Or are the Smash attacks "strong"? I keep worrying that I'm missing something.

Also, I'm guessing there's no weak-strong in aerials?
There's no medium normals. There are however medium specials. Smashes are smashes. Only one set of aerials.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Is the walk forward utilt lock in place and then across the stage guaranteed? I think it is at least on all the fast fallers, yet I don't see anyone talking about this anywhere. It seems like this is quite game breaking in those matchups since an uptilt at any percent can lead to death.
It only works on fast fallers and heavy chars. Light characters and floaters such as jiggly and Luigi can escape the lock. You can true combo some utilt, but it's not an inescapable lock for sure.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Regarding the jump canceled true DP oos, I believe there's a 5 frame window after you press jump to input DP. You have to input it in Ryu's jump squat frames, otherwise you get the weaker aerial DP.

Perfect shield into DP is easy though, and doesn't require a jump.

Can you elaborate?
Basically, the SDI multiplier is what determines how far your character travels when you're in hitstun, and apparently, not all moves have the same SDI multiplier. For example, Yoshi's Dair has a much higher SDI multiplier than say, a smart bomb or most other multi hit moves. Therefore it's a lot easier to SDI out of Yoshi's Dair.
Like I said, I can't confirm this, but from what I've seen, Ryu's weak Utilt seems pretty easy to SDI away from.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Basically, the SDI multiplier is what determines how far your character travels when you're in hitstun, and apparently, not all moves have the same SDI multiplier. For example, Yoshi's Dair has a much higher SDI multiplier than say, a smart bomb or most other multi hit moves. Therefore it's a lot easier to SDI out of Yoshi's Dair.
Like I said, I can't confirm this, but from what I've seen, Ryu's weak Utilt seems pretty easy to SDI away from.
Ah, I see. Well based on my labbing I found that TUtilt (weak utilt) is actually unsafe if you combo it more than 3 times. This is of course dependant on char and percentage, but if you're fighting a Luigi and he's at 50% more or less he will be able to nair you if you try to go for more than 3 TUtilts. I believe that 3 is the maximum amount of times we can spam TUtilt, 2 being the best. It remains safe, allows you to true combo into other moves all the way 150% and your opponent is still placed well enough as to connect most hits that link with TUtilt.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Could someone please explain to me the difference between Ryu's parry and everyone else's power shield? What can we do that they can't?

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Question. Is it possible that characters are able to jab their way out before ryu transitions his tilt into the next tilt to continue a chain like ryu's d tilt 1 into d tilt 2 combo for example against characters like falcon and sonic or is that just me johning?

Last edited:

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Question. Is it possible that characters are able to jab their way out before ryu transitions his tilt into the next tilt to continue chain like ryu's d tilt 1 into d tilt 2 combo for example against characters like falcon and sonic or is that just me johnny?
It is possible to be jabbed out of this, yes. Weak Down Tilt true combos into itself, grab, and Specials.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
It is possible to be jabbed out of this, yes. Weak Down Tilt true combos into itself, grab, and Specials.
Wow,that's kinda horrible :/

Also,has anyone here mention yet that landing a red fire ball,whether the opponents shield or not can lead to a guaranteed follow up? (Sorry if I asked)

Last edited:

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Wow,that's kinda horrible :/

Also,has anyone here mention yet that landing a red fire ball,whether the opponents shield or not can lead to a guaranteed follow up? (Sorry if I asked)
Red Fireball is a great shield pressure move. At certain distances you can attempt traps with it. I haven't heard anything about guaranteed setups though. Do you know of any, or are you asking?

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Red Fireball is a great shield pressure move. At certain distances you can attempt traps with it. I haven't heard anything about guaranteed setups though. Do you know of any, or are you asking?

Ah,I see.

Well,I was just asking though since I was curious after playing a match with this Shulk player on FG.i do t know if the Shulk was just that bad of getting out of that possible set up XD but

From my observation there seems to be enough time to follow up with something if the fireball makes contact with their shield or not

-you can grab if they shield the red fireball or go for a collarbone attempt
-you can follow up with (well I guess a dash kick or fair would work) if the red fireball hits

Just wondering

Edit: ryus red fireball ball can combo into dash attack and short hop fair. :)

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What does the Street Fighter community think of Ryu being in Smash Bros?

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
I know lol but I mean the community as a whole.

Is their any negative feelings about it?
I doubt it. Smash is being respected as an actual fighting game more. Though 2D fighter purists will probably always have soething to say about it.

But understand that Street Fighter players can rarely agree on what games it is they like in the series. Some will just not associate with you if you play a certain SF game lol

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Could someone please explain to me the difference between Ryu's parry and everyone else's power shield? What can we do that they can't?
I used to think that we could react faster out of it, but I haven't been able to prove this yet. I tried parrying a fireball from Mario and grabbing and Ryu was capable of grabbing instantly, even before the fireball had disappeared. Essentially, you can grab at the same time the parry sound sounds. I tried doing the same with Mario (by psing a hado) and I got the same result.

I'll keep testing.

Pariahus

Smash Rookie
I've read through this and this hasn't been asked and I don't know the answer to this, how the heck do you fadc? I've seen it done but I don't know what to do to trigger the dash out of fa, What am I doing wrong/too slowly?

Edit:Nevermind learned how on twitch.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I've read through this and this hasn't been asked and I don't know the answer to this, how the heck do you fadc? I've seen it done but I don't know what to do to trigger the dash out of fa, What am I doing wrong/too slowly?
Try reading the guides we have stickied. They contain tutorials on every move,specially PokemonyeWest's tutorial.

Anyways, to FADC just double tap either forward (66) or backwards (44) either before you release the punch or right after they connect. If you punch but hit nothing you can't cancel the lag iirc.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Hold the b-button down and then press foward or backward twice in rapid succession. You propably either let go of the b-button or try to cancel after he punched when you didn't hit anything (you can only cancel during charge or if you at least hit someones shield when punching).

Top Bottom