• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else misses killing your opponets with throws???

Steck

Smash Journeyman
One of the main reasons I mostly played as (I'm not going to say "main" because I switched characters alot) Ness was because of the throws. His throws were awesome. I also liked floating around with his jump too.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Yeah, I had forgotten about that. Loved it. Ah, I remember when I developed shieldgrabbing on my own...then I did it to my sister and it was fun. Twas a shame I didn't use it more often back in the day; I liked dodging better. SSB64...lots of fond memories. :)

Edit: I prefer the combo-oriented throws in Melee over SSB64's though. If memory serves, dash grab animations didn't even exist in SSB64. Just pointing something out.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Yeah, I had forgotten about that. Loved it. Ah, I remember when I developed shieldgrabbing on my own...then I did it to my sister and it was fun. Twas a shame I didn't use it more often back in the day; I liked dodging better. SSB64...lots of fond memories. :)
Attempting to shieldgrab aerials usually gets you grabbed ¬.¬
And uhh...throws still kill in SSBM...if you're Mewtwo. :laugh:
...I've killed someone with Lucas's throw in Brawl. :confused:

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Attempting to shieldgrab aerials usually gets you grabbed ¬.¬
And uhh...throws still kill in SSBM...if you're Mewtwo. :laugh:
...I've killed someone with Lucas's throw in Brawl. :confused:
(The text that comes after this takes place and is about Melee) If I hit a shield, I usually get grabbed 50% of the time. I'm not really sure why. :laugh:
I don't know what it's like getting punished for attempting to shieldgrab aerials. My main method of shieldgrabbing is when my sister dash attacks, which she does more often than I what I would recommend. She doesn't use AT's though, so her options are limited. She hardly ever comes from the air, and when she does, I usually don't cuz I keep thinking she's too far away.

Care to enlighten me? Not about my matches against my sister, but as to why shieldgrabbing aerials is punished. :ohwell:

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
(The text that comes after this takes place and is about Melee) If I hit a shield, I usually get grabbed 50% of the time. I'm not really sure why. :laugh:
I don't know what it's like getting punished for attempting to shieldgrab aerials. My main method of shieldgrabbing is when my sister dash attacks, which she does more often than I what I would recommend. She doesn't use AT's though, so her options are limited. She hardly ever comes from the air, and when she does, I usually don't cuz I keep thinking she's too far away.

Care to enlighten me? Not about my matches against my sister, but as to why shieldgrabbing aerials is punished. :ohwell:
Your sister doesn't know how to Z-cancel then.
In SSB, aerials cancel instantly, leading to an instant grab if you're against a shielding opponent. Especially if you're aerialing with like...CFalcon or Ness. Crazy shieldstun. Everyone knows about Ness's shieldbreakers, but you could just throw them too.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Oh, right. I forgot that in SSB64 cancels are instant. How do people avoid this then? Roll instead?

hambread

Smash Apprentice
oh uh. try not to roll from an aerial. with z canceling it is too easy to cancel-dash-grab you.

btw in brawl z canceling just speeds up the lag animation and not cancel it completely (64 style) right?

4 Aces

Smash Ace
btw in brawl z canceling just speeds up the lag animation and not cancel it completely (64 style) right?
I don't think Z/L cancel is in Brawl.

i have to steal Malva's advice, if you dont want to be stuck in hit stun, and you know you cant roll the answer is

Dont get hit!
^Fixed it there for ya. (it --> hit) Darn, I had forgotten that phrase. :laugh:

greenblob

Smash Lord
Eh... I never really use throws for KOs too often. Most of the time it's fthrow with Falcon or Jiggs into a combo.

Polostick

Smash Apprentice
every character has good throws cept

link, samus, and yoshi had ranged throws and lags badly if misses

falcon jiggs and kirby's forward throw doesn't kill but set up for combos

and dk can walk with characters with his forward throws

and for some reason kirby's back throw doesn't get too great distance

Rupus

BRoomer
BRoomer
Kirby's Fthrow lifts you up in the air, and on levels like Hyrule, you can land on the highest platform, making it relatively easy to kill people at low-ish percents. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Pikachu's Bthrow is very good, and his Fthrow is useful in a few circumstances.

Top Bottom