• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you think will finally take down ZeRo?

Who do you think will finally take down ZeRo?

• ESAM

Votes: 63 30.1%
  • Mr. R

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Nairo

Votes: 76 36.4%
  • Ally

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Dabuz

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Abadango

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Mr. ConCon

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 50 23.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1337Kai

Smash Cadet
NNID
1337Kai
I made this not long before Paragon happened. :p And I included ConCon just because he has a history against ZeRo, which not many others can say.
I know he beat ZeRo's Diddy, but he got dominated by his Sheik in the 2nd set which is why I'm not exactly rooting for him. Plus Mr. Concon doesn't get the results as Nairo or Esam. Usually when I think of people who can take ZeRo down, I take into consideration is they can take on both his mains. (maybe his secondaries like Falcon or Shulk)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Call me crazy guys ... but I have a feeling that Seagull Joe might actually beat Zero one of these days.

:059:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
You are not crazy. It just happen. Now, we need to see who kick him out.

Edit: I'm not defending Zero but didn't he seem off/not on point against Sea Gull Joe?

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
You are not crazy. It just happen. Now, we need to see who kick him out.

Edit: I'm not defending Zero but didn't he seem off/not on point against Sea Gull Joe?
I don't think he expected Seagull's Sonic to be so aggressive. Most Sonic's I see usually stay on the safer side. Probably threw him off in the first game.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
ZeRo has a long way to go now.

And this time he's REALLY got to fight his way through if he wants to claim Big House 5.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Apparently on Twitter ZeRo said he was considering dropping out of the tournament and later said he will try his best tomorrow. Maybe he felt like dropping out before facing Seagull Joe, but him being sent to losers by him so early might be the reason he didn't look like he was playing so well against MVD and wanted to drop out.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Zero. I think Zero will eventually take himself down. As far as the first player to eliminate him from tournament, it could be anyone at this point. He's lost three sets so far in this game.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Considering it REALLY looked like Nairo lost to ZeRo at BH5 because he didn't go ZSS the whole time, I think the next time Nairo and ZeRo face each other Nairo will know to not make the same mistake and finally beat him.

NextPain

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nextpain
After Anti's performance today I'm convinced either esam or Anti will take down ZeRo

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Considering it REALLY looked like Nairo lost to ZeRo at BH5 because he didn't go ZSS the whole time, I think the next time Nairo and ZeRo face each other Nairo will know to not make the same mistake and finally beat him.
Honestly I was disappointed in Nario. He gave away the first set. Going Robin in game 2?!? Felt like he just gave up. If he wanted to data mine zero and/or not want zero to get info and sandbagged if he was down 0-2 in set one I'd understand. But he gave up the set after losing game 1. I don't know why he would do that. I don't see how he could possibly think robin was a good choice against zero's sheik. But maybe he has his reasons...he is the one up there and I'm just a viewer so what do I know...

But props to zero, he's amazing. The mental focus to make that losers run and win grands in 2 sets was incredible to watch and I was rooting for him. Not to mention zero is obviously having some big personal issues right now, he seems very mentally strained from all the pressure on him. According to this girlfriend's twitter he "cried his heart out" before pools started.

Last edited:

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
LOLZEROWINS.

Building up hard for when someome finally beats him and becomes an overnight sensation, I really hope it's not some huge established star. Perhaps it will be Leo next year or someone like that.

Last edited:

1337Kai

Smash Cadet
NNID
1337Kai
You know what screw it, I'm gonna take down ZeRo! Watch out Gonzales! Prepare Yourself!

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
I'm taking ESAM out of my running for taking down Zero. Though he still has a shot I think that he was really humbled after Zero took that last stock. Like Zero showed a level that he didn't know existed. ESAM is still a top player but Zero is THE top player.

Nairo's hubris definitely threw away that one. I don't disagree with the option to use the first set like that but he executed the concept poorly. That mental block against Zero is still there.

Anti seems to be a player on Zero's level. He's always been good, that's no secret but he came storming out the gate in that match. He has that same smothering play style zero employs. His WFT seemed a bit off to me, I don't disagree with the choice (except he used the male version), he was going off of match up experience especially because Zero had to beat two Marios to get there. I just don't think his WFT was played at his best.

On a pure player skill basis Anti and probably Ranai has the highest chance.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Nairo is currently the only player that truly threatens ZeRo.

Anti and Ally have the inherent skill but lack the game/character knowledge at this point. Similarly with m2k but it doesn't seem like he'll go all-in for sm4sh at this time.

Ranai loses to mid-level sheiks, he'd get bodied by a ZeRo prepared for the MU. Only way a player like Ranai or Abadango could beat ZeRo is via shock factor, not pure skill imo.

ESAM is in a similar boat though if he got to play ZeRo enough I'm sure he could do it. If he keeps attending the same tournaments I can see it happening, but not consistently.

Last edited:

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
Nairo is currently the only player that truly threatens ZeRo.
I disagree. Nairo is clearly the second best player in the world at this point. That does not mean he has the best chance of taking down ZeRo. He has the most chances because they'll generally find each other in Winners and Grands. But that mental block is there. And it's important in any competitive setting.

Anecdotal evidence. I was on a travelling baseball team and we generally were undefeated except versus one specific team, they beat us in Bracket, and Grand Finals all times through the year. We couldn't beat them. We studied them counter played them but it would all fall apart. Because we were under much more mental self inflicted pressure. This happened on two separate teams and two separate years. They were all roadblock. We couldn't pass them. They weren't even better than us statistically wise. It's just how sports are.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
If you saw the grand finals for Smash 4 at BH5 yesterday then you should know that Nairo is definitely the biggest threat to ZeRo. Nairo had a very close set against him and probably would have won if he didn't throw the first set to "calm down" as if calming down would even help in a situation where staying focused and being at the top of your game is very important.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I disagree. Nairo is clearly the second best player in the world at this point. That does not mean he has the best chance of taking down ZeRo. He has the most chances because they'll generally find each other in Winners and Grands. But that mental block is there. And it's important in any competitive setting.
Out of the foreseeable lineup, yes. Yes he does have the best chance. Has shown he's clearly capable of it and gets the most chances.

Until ZeRo meets a mental block (like leffen vs samus) Nairo does have the best chance.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
Out of the foreseeable lineup, yes. Yes he does have the best chance. Has shown he's clearly capable of it and gets the most chances.

Until ZeRo meets a mental block (like leffen vs samus) Nairo does have the best chance.
Only in a vacuum where player skill is the only factor in player match up. It isn't. If it was Seagull wouldn't have beaten Zero (no offence to Joe) competition doesn't work that way. That's why we have upsets.

verbatim

Smash Ace
anai loses to mid-level sheiks, he'd get bodied by a ZeRo prepared for the MU. Only way a player like Ranai or Abadango could beat ZeRo is via shock factor, not pure skill imo.

I can't imagine ZeRo coming into that match the more versed of the two, but yes you are right. I think that Nairo is the only player in the world that can beat ZeRo in a best of 5, but the list of people gets bigger when you bump down to best of 3. Anti had such a good start in losers and it was very evident that ZeRo had the pure endurance to go through everyone while he fell short. Unfortunately for Anti the next time he has to fight ZeRo he'll be significantly more prepared, kind of like how Dabuz/Mr R/Esam/everyone that isn't Nairo have done significantly worse against ZeRo than they did in their first encounter. This is why I'm convinced that his next bo3 loss will be to a Japanese player or otherwise someone not on his radar.

rankings in least improvement required to most improvement required

IMO top people to win a best of 5

Nairo
Mr R

top players to win a best of 3

Ranai
Abadongo
any of the high level Japanese players with uncommon characters in the international metagame (Umeki, Salena, Earth, 9B)
Esam, Dabuz
Ally, Vnnie
Anti

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Only in a vacuum where player skill is the only factor in player match up. It isn't. If it was Seagull wouldn't have beaten Zero (no offence to Joe) competition doesn't work that way. That's why we have upsets.
"Upsets" aren't foreseeable though. I'm not saying ZeRo has nothing to worry about other than Nairo, I'm saying Nairo is the most likely SPECIFIC PLAYER to beat him.

That's all.

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Judging by Ally's sets vs ZeRo, I highly doubt he can win a set against him. And it's not because of the character he plays. I mean look at Anti. Ally seems to get a mental block everytime he faces ZeRo.

SFC Goat

Smash Rookie
NNID
koroshiya72
3DS FC
4227-1995-9268
Nairo will probably do it.

This whole thing between the two of them is borderline anime.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I got to thinking that it's not really a matter of who will beat Zero, but rather HOW you beat zero. One thing I've been trying more of is a position based neutral. Going for optimal positions while still being reasonably close to the opponent.

Though I think the likes of Anti+ and Nairo understand this concept.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Game three is going to go viral aaaany second now.

I swear that was the quickest set I've ever seen.

Top Bottom