• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you main and why?

Frank Curtis

Smash Cadet
:mario2:: I like to pick characters that are easy to learn, but hard to master. Street Fighter has Ryu, KOF has Kyo, Virtua Fighter has Akira, and Project M has the Italian plumber himself, Mario. He is so versatile in every aspect and I think that compliments my playstyle in most fighting games. I also started out with Mario when I started to play Melee the first couple of times, but I dropped him for no apparent reason after a while, but since Project M 3.0 came out he's been my go to guy for kicking ass and taking names.

:roypm:: When I pick Roy, I always pick his gold color scheme because my very first friend in my local state college always picks Roy when playing Smash at our gaming club and he likes Golden Sun, so I use Roy as a tribute to him. He was one of my first opponents when I started playing Smash and eventually I just started playing as Roy in Melee to see why he loved to pick him in the first place. I liked Roy because his Down Tilt could juggle opponents along with his Up Smash and he had so much potential, but Nintendo was just so lazy with his moveset in Melee. I think the PMBR has done a fantastic job at making each character feel so different in Project M and Roy is no exception to this rule. Simply put, he has a lot of unique things about him that make comparisons of him and Marth a study in contrasts.

:lucas::ness2:: These two are just so fun to mess around with when playing against 3 other players and their Final Smashes make for hilarious moments in multiplayer.

Last edited:

Pickledpotatoes

Smash Journeyman
:yoshi: Because Yoshi's Island is too sweet, eggs for days, and he's too fun.

:lucas: Because Mother 3's my biggest crush, P.K. freezes for days, and breathtaking combos.

I also play some:gw: and I don't know whyyyyyy.

MoonlapseOpethian

Smash Journeyman
Check my sig for who I main. I main them because I particularly like slow characters (Excluding Marth and Roy) They hit hard and seem to require less technical prowess than faster, lighter characters.

For the Fire Emblem twins, I main them because my brother used to always pick Marth, so eventually I started picking Roy, given that he was the slower, more powerful counterpart.
When Brawl came out, Ike became my replacement and being far heavier, I fell in love instantly. Eventually I decided to main Marth to fully substitute Roy, and got used to it. I transferred both over to PM, although I'm currently better with Ike and Roy than Marth, which is funny because very few people would say that.

Snake was on a whim due to his high tier placement in Brawl. I liked his weight, mobility via DACUS and his trap game via nades and mines. His FTilt also rocks.

Link was my first main back from Smash 64. I picked him like everyone did back then: Because of the characters. Ocarina of Time was my favorite game (Now FFVII) and I picked him as such.
Link sucks, but I stuck with him, and now I'm better than most people are with him, and I'm eternally grateful that the PMBR has made Link good for the first time since I started playing Smash 11 years ago.

I picked Ganon just to try him out in Melee. I sucked back then. I played him in Brawl and was utterly disgusted, but through perseverance, I became better than I did with him in Melee. Now that I've gotten to be able to use his Melee version with added techniques, and my Brawl experience, I've been able to enjoy him to the fullest. I love his side B tech chases and the legendary Thunderstomp.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I'm currently better with Ike and Roy than Marth, which is funny because very few people would say that.
... Not really.

I can more consistently execute longer combo strings with Ike than Marth. I'm sure there's a lot of players who mold naturally to Ike's hard hits and QD catch-ups but not to Marth's DD Grabcombo gimp game. They're very different after all.

MoonlapseOpethian

Smash Journeyman
... Not really.

I can more consistently execute longer combo strings with Ike than Marth. I'm sure there's a lot of players who mold naturally to Ike's hard hits and QD catch-ups but not to Marth's DD Grabcombo gimp game. They're very different after all.
Well, to an extent I can agree, it's just that most people who main both Ike and Marth will tell you that they have an easier time with Marth. Well, at least in Brawl maybe. PM has made the cast alot more balanced so maybe we'll see more players excelling at Ike more than Marth or Roy more than Marth (Under the assumption that they main all three of course)

Last edited:

MoonlapseOpethian

Smash Journeyman
Sadly I want to improve my Marth to the level of my Ike so that I can handle certain match-ups, but my inability to telekinesis myself across half a stage with Side-B gets me down.
LOL, I know. I'm having that problem as well. Not used to Quickdraw actually being useful. Quickdraw past your opponent and immediately up smash. It'll throw them off guard. You can also jump out of it for a Nair, or jump out and turn around for a Bair.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
LOL, I know. I'm having that problem as well. Not used to Quickdraw actually being useful. Quickdraw past your opponent and immediately up smash. It'll throw them off guard. You can also jump out of it for a Nair, or jump out and turn around for a Bair.
Two last things so that I don't take this any more off-topic.

a) You should come check out the Ike forums
b) Nothing Ike does out of QD compares to Metroid's Quick-Draw back-and-forth chaingrabs. QD -> Hop offstage -> Dair spike comes close, though.

Leifus

Smash Rookie
King "The D's" Dedede: I played him in brawl and the cross over with my play style still worked. Plus and his wall of pain still gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling inside when you catch your opponent off the edge, especially if that have a weaker or more limited recovery's. Throws for sure. F-Tilt is nice. Shop-hop -> D-Airs still works good. While he's got an improvement from Brawl, I do feel as though a lot of other characters got more improvements... which I think is fair given how wide the gaps were in Brawl. Still have to get that waddle dee wave dash down, still feel kind of unnatural to me >_<

Charazard: Well when I first played PM I hadn't played any smash in awhile, so I was kinda like **** it, going random! First random was Charazard. Now, I wasn't a fan of pokemon trainer in Brawl at all. The idea of being forced to cycle though three move sets throughout a match was very unappealing and kinda ruined my flow when I was playing, so I wasn't expecting much and I decided to spam his F-B. Instead of a little ass rock with some peddle coming out this monster frame blast comes out, huge range that is usefully tall as it is long with high knock back if you catch them up close. Boss. He's also much quicker than he was in Brawl with much more options in his air combo's allowing him ways to switch up his approach. Then again, I really wasn't that familiar with Charazard in Brawl so I could have just been missing out this whole time. He's still pretty gimpable off the edge and I am still getting used to his glide not being hold jump (tap jump off, so I instinctively just hold down X). Right now I'm using him a lot, but I do see him slinking in the ranks of my roster.

Shiek: This dirty little chain grabbing, down throwing, forward tilting, jab/shield poking/combo starting, forward airing, needling throwing ***** is back!! Shiek was my girl in SSBM, I'm not saying I'm pro by any means, but this was the girl who always got me the farthest. I do feel as that she's not as unbalanced as she was in SSBM as in being much higher up their tier list by most, especially in 1v1 match ups. But that is because there are just a lot more mechanics and concepts brought in by both Brawl and PM, so it's an old gal in a brand new world. And I do say 'brand new' because Shiek in Brawl is considerable different then in SSBM... at least to me it was.

Link: Zoning. Yup, simple as that. 3 projectile options plus a disjointed hit box with D-Smash, U-Smash and U-B for good ol' "get away from me" moves. Link is a game of paper cuts and attrition, just have to keep them in that middle range where projectiles still pose a real threat just still far enough away to keep your sword between you and them. Still has an issue versus space animals in my opinion, shines.... lazers... D-Airs(replace with U-Air if Fox)!!! Link can't keep up with their pressure and speed very well, otherwise I enjoy his field control play style.

Pit: This is new for me, but after watching Mew2King and Armada in the grand finals at Apex 2014 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IHYEv9qxJE), I've been really interested in exploring Pit more. I've found he's a cross between Shiek and the D's. Sheiks speed and ability for quick, relentless combos from low percents to off the edge in combination with The D's multi-jumping wall of pain esque type of F-Air or B-air combos. His arrows as the needles (though, I'm pretty bad with them to be honest... I rather just throw and forget then stop movement to aim). His new Up-air is a vast improvement, as well as his glide does come across a little more natural with it being a side move instead of an up move.

Overall, I'm still pretty new to the game and don't have a lot of hours under my belt yet. That being said, these are more of my first impressions and who I could just pick up and go with right off the bat. More coming soon!

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I think i'm one of those types of people that don't know what all these technical terms are but just do them anyway.

How do I into zoning.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
ike.png I main Ike because FE 9 and 10 are my favorite Fire Emblems. I also like the way he plays in Project M. He is more like he is in his games. His side b cancels are awesome. It just feels like how he should feel. He was strong in his games but he was fast also.

Badwolf

Smash Rookie
Well I'm just starting to get into the competitive scene but these are the mains and 2nd mains I play-
:falcon:- besides being the manliest player, I love his air attacks and the falcon punch is what drew me to him in melee.

:diddy:- fast, plus great control with nanas and peanut gun. Plus I love spikes and he has 3.

:ike:- (1st main in brawl but 3rd in PM) love the strong hits, large hit boxes and a strong air game.

:charizard:- idk why but I just love playing him. Seams to have pretty good fair and bair. Plus his dair is a good spike.

Zelda- very situational but who doesn't like beating someone with a girl player. :)

:lucario:- again situational but has really nice jab combos.

firebolt1400

Smash Rookie
First, I main :drmario:- Pill approaches, Uair/Bair combos, and Fair/Fsmash kills! Second main is :ivysaur: because Solar Beam. Third is :sheilda: Because I like having the two different playstyles for one match, Sheik for combos and damage, Zelda for stage control and killing with Lightning Kick. Other mains: :sonic::snake::pit::fox:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Hmm... I think I should make a post on my sometimes main sometimes sub Meta Knight.
How to begin...
When I learned of the Brawl metagame and the dumb **** MK could do, I went for the ban jump. Nobody else even saw the potential of Meta Knight however and I decided to prove it... by using him.
Despite putting in quite a bit less time then my Ness, the little guy wrecked everyone and quickly became one of my mains in an ironic twist of fate. His offensive charm compared to the slow pace of the rest of the cast made him so much more fun and he was perfect to use if someone beat my Ness by a hair and pissed me off >_<.
So when Project M FINALLY released Meta Knight, I was hyped. Finally I could use Meta Knight in this new mod which made the game so much more fun.
And that streamlined aerial aggression Meta Knight had felt great, it was perfect. Eventually I just used him all the time and forgot about my Ike, whom I somewhat had forgotten about after the 2.5 nerf (his 2.6 made me love him again, but it was Meta Knight time).

Eventually, I fought someone at college and he was the first offline spacey I've ever played. It was on a really laggy screen (johns!!!) but even still when he beat me I could tell there was a huge gap and my Meta Knight was very lacking.

So I practiced with him, finally learning all of his PM quirks like the chain grab, and tried to play Ike again and finally decided Ike was the best pick for me, kinda making Meta Knight a situational sub and Ike back to the main.

Then I went against a few... other players. I noticed that Ike had extremely hard counterpicks against characters that out pressure him and now I'm training my Meta Knight to cover for Ike's faults (Lucas and Sheik ERWGSDFGVADSFVASDF) and hopefully I can make this duo work perfectly :).

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
:lucas: I love his style. I don't really know how to describe it. I particularly love his aerials.
:mewtwopm: Was my favorite in Melee.
:ganondorf:: I love his power, and ganondunking.
:toonlink:: I like combining projectiles and melee attacks with him.
:warioc:: I like his versatility and power. His PM side special is astoundingly useful.

Ulmaxes

Smash Rookie
:150: is my top primary, followed closely by :wolf:.
:link2: is a secondary at the moment; he was always my favorite to play casually in SSB and Melee, so I'm trying to fulfill a lifelong dream to get him to competitive level in P:M.

kingprawn

Smash Rookie
I'm very boring when it comes to PM. I tried maining cool new revamped characters such as :wario:,:diddy:,:olimar:,:ivysaur:. All of them i loved in brawl, with the exception of ivysaur. After playing around with every character for a while I found that I simply had the most fun with :sheik: and :marth:. Mostly playing sheik, with marth as a fun secondary. On occasion i do play :olimar: :snake::150: when playing with beginners and i just want to mess around!

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Wouldn't Mario be the Smash Bros version of Ryu, having the Shoto B moves since the original?
I dunno. While Mario does have some Ryu traits, Lucario just has a little more.
Lucario's aura sphere is more like a hadouken, his up smash is a shoryuken, his neutral aerial is a Tatsumaki. His combo's work of the magic series as well. Lucario is just more Ryu then mario lol

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo - Because he sucked in Melee and I like playing flawed characters. Now that he's awesome in PM, I can enjoy him fully.

Olimar - Because I love Pikmin. He was annoying in brawl to fight against but a lot less so in PM. He's also incredibly flawed and frustrating as hell to play so I hope he gets fine tuned in the next update.

Ness - Old Melee main given some cool new styles. Psi-magnet JC is awesome!

Diddy - Basically, to be able to contend against the guys my other mains aren't good against. Plus, he's fun.

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
Nearly 50 people have voted in the past two weeks and itd be awesome if 100 people could participate in this community involved 'tier list'. Just trying to gather the most recent opinions on character placement and then I'll make a tier list combining these results with tournament results. Im posting in a lot of threads so there can be more more opinions as that will reflect more accurately. If you havent voted yet please do! (just 3.0 opinions please)

The first one has you rank each character individually 1-41, I arranged it to what I think so it can be easier but itll still take a little time.
<a href="https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GDPZ53B">Click here to take survey</a>

If you dont care as much and/or dont wanna spend as much time then this one is just rankings based on tier.
<a href="https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GD3NDM9">Click here to take survey</a>

Thanks guys!

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
Nearly 50 people have voted in the past two weeks and itd be awesome if 100 people could participate in this community involved 'tier list'. Just trying to gather the most recent opinions on character placement and then I'll make a tier list combining these results with tournament results. Im posting in a lot of threads so there can be more more opinions as that will reflect more accurately. If you havent voted yet please do! (just 3.0 opinions please)

The first one has you rank each character individually 1-41, I arranged it to what I think so it can be easier but itll still take a little time.
<a href="https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GDPZ53B">Click here to take survey</a>

If you dont care as much and/or dont wanna spend as much time then this one is just rankings based on tier.
<a href="https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GD3NDM9">Click here to take survey</a>

Thanks guys!
So I did the Survey but have to say that I don't like how its set up. if it was more of a tier system A, B, C, D, kind of thing, it would have been easier. But I also don't have extensive experiece with all of the characters so my point of view is not worth very much. I basically said that Lucas was 1 and Olimar is 41. Lucas is 1 because he has uber aggro and bugs that make him better. Olimar is 41, because he is crazy buggy and unreliable. I'm sure he will jump up the tier list when he's tweaked but for 3.0, he's only good against people who havent played against him yet.

yoyowoodchuckguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-1538-9247
Lucario: this guy is made for combing without memorizing combos, if you know what I mean. He just "flows" so well
Lucas: Fast, powerful, good attacking in most directions. Unfortunately, not the greatest recovery
Ivysaur: I just "click" with this character for some reason

DanlulZ

Smash Cadet
:mario2: Great example of all around mobility survivability and kill potential all while having hard to master tricks. His combos are my favourite I can constantly mix up my approach and follow ups in whatever way I see fit just the best.
:dedede: Just cause he's fun and annoying >=]
:marth: Cause classic

Last edited:

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
So I did the Survey but have to say that I don't like how its set up. if it was more of a tier system A, B, C, D, kind of thing, it would have been easier. But I also don't have extensive experiece with all of the characters so my point of view is not worth very much. I basically said that Lucas was 1 and Olimar is 41. Lucas is 1 because he has uber aggro and bugs that make him better. Olimar is 41, because he is crazy buggy and unreliable. I'm sure he will jump up the tier list when he's tweaked but for 3.0, he's only good against people who havent played against him yet.
There are both types of surveys in there,, I know that its difficult and no-one knows every character in depth, its just meant to get a general 'consensus' to players status's as of now. I like having both surveys as the long 1-41 ranking list gets a more thoughtful voting for which characters are better than others while the tier survey gets more people as it is easier to fill out so a greater amount of opinion is involved. Plus sometimes characters are viewed as 'high' tier but then 'lower' tier characters have good MUs against them so it creates a more holistic view.
Anyway I appreciate your comment and thanks for voting!

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Kind of recommendations here, but it's something I work with when developing myself and the games I play.
For Smash... have
Suggestions
A Character where fundamentals to the universal game are their BnB and entire back-bone. - (Don't get hit, and finish your hits like a Falcon)
A Character where fundamentals are crucial and detrimental if you mess up - (Wario and his JC-Grab for instance, built-in mix-ups with air-Grabs and other lesser key-tools for vortex games)
A Character where the fundamentals on a non-technical sense and more towards pace-control is the focus - (Bowser and his precision for that)
A Character to test relative to the other world-class players or any level up to that where your play is creeping into at at the time with good content to compare - (Falco)

Optionals
A Character that's really hilarious - (G&W)
A Character to simplify and develop efficiency from subtle complexity + nostalgia - (Link)
A Character (or more) that you love and think can be effective but don't really trust others to do the good stuff with while you don't play them (Mewtwo/Yoshi)

For Round 1 at least.
Round 2 won't happen for a while. Game is hard. Invincible Ledge-Dashes and Wall-Jump perfect WLs from ledges can't be missed. Combos can't go un-optimally finished or absent of Charges or Wafts when they're options. More precise Disables needed for free semi-set-KB combo finishers off TPs. Yoshi needs more asexual re-birthing. Falco needs more DI and poking mix-ups. Link needs more Grab-Reset set-ups and baiting tricks for them. Bowser needs more Shield-Drop Aerials and Down-B blocking with platform-play. G&W needs more #'s. :p
I haz much to learnz and practize
No round 2 fo 2 long game 2 fun

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Lucas because I played him once in 2.5 and was amazed at how fluid he could be, all the little things that were possible when you put in the practice for him. Plus, his 2.5 Dair looked sick af (RIP old school Dair) I continue to main him because he feels the most 'right' for me and there's so much growth room left to go, every new thing I learn or try keeps me wanting more out of my play and my character.

I also like playing Roy, Yoshi, Charizard, Falco, Wolf, Ivy, Peach, and Wario on the side.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Ivysaur : the sound effects are what sold it to me. Landing the sweetspot on her healimg moves makes a unique plop sound. Landing her tipper up B makes the baseball bat sound. Landing the solar veam makes a destrucción sound. And the rest of the moveset is half multihits, half whip sounds.
It's just a character that is extremely satisfactory to play with.

Roy : my Melee main. He's the reason I dropped Melee, because when you're playing Roy, Melee is not such a fun game. But in PM, he can compete, and makes me a happy man.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Time to revive this, I know I posted earlier but whatever :p

:marth:: When I was a young lad, I played SSB64, now at the time, I had a Gamecube so my childish mind confused it and I ended up with one of my most beloved games of all time, Melee. So after unlocking all the characters I went through and found Marth. He was a gem to me, he was honestly everything I wanted in the game, so I stuck with him. At the time I also cycled through Mario and Mewtwo (Huh, just noticed the alliteration), but Marth was the only one that really stuck with me, I have mained him in Melee, Brawl and Project: M and I will continue that for Smash 4.
:roypm:: So, I dabbled in Roy and when I got back into Smash last year, I messed around a bit with Roy. I enjoyed him and kinda took him in as my secondary. When Roy got announced for Project: M, I was stunned. It was such an amazing moment and I just latched onto him.
:ike:: I'll be honest here, I was so excited about Roy and I loved sword users since I was little. I kinda just wanted to complete the FE trio, so here we are. :p
:bowser2:: I was looking for a new main in Brawl, and at the time I used Eventhubs. I saw that Bowser was one of the least mained characters, so I took him in and began to work on him, and when I played Project: M, he was even more amazing, so here we are.
:ness2:: I picked up Ness, because I had just played Earthbound. I stuck with him, kinda forcing myself to get better and with time, he became one of my mains!
:pit:: After playing Uprising, I was determined to play Pit, once I figured out my play-style, life was a breeze with Pit.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I don't really have a main yet. I have to find that character that just "clicks" for me. So far, though, I haven't. I've been toying around with Lucario, Roy, Ike, Marth, Samus, Peach, Wolf, Lucas, Ivysaur, Mewtwo, Pit, Yoshi, Mario, ROB, MK, and ZSS. But I'm still looking for that character that "clicks". After I figure out my main I will most likely pick a sub to augment my main better.

But still. No idea who I want to be my main yet. e_e

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
Falco :falco: I like combos and hes my favorite starfox character

:peach: Shes fun as hell to kick some ass with and she has great aerial game

UchihaDiBs

Smash Rookie
I main :mario2: because of his combo power and zoning with his pills (well, I can zone with them.) Also, they gave me back mah dr. mario skin back. always a fun way to style on people. "The Dr. is in"

I also play :marth: becasue, c'mon, melee marth was always fun. especially spiking

Lastly, I want to pick up :lucas:,:mewtwopm:, and :bowser2: for ****s and gigs.

Peño

Smash Rookie
Just picked up :wario: The other day because I always played him in Brawl as a sort of joke character but never put the time in to learn him. I stayed home from school recently and play him for like 5 hours o.O
I like how goofy his moveset is and his awesome aerial mobility.

Top Bottom