• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Counters Robin?

Lukred

Smash Rookie
Rosalina and Palutena counter Robin pretty harshly, and anyone who can wall you with range can become a pain in the butt (mainly good samus/link players) then there's little mac......

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I find it weird that everybody has problems with little mac. Ive played him a little bit and found that Robin does well when he is appriached first, and Mac players tend to do that. You just got to find ways to compensate for Robins slowness.

idk maybe the Macs I played werent very good.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
I find it weird that everybody has problems with little mac. Ive played him a little bit and found that Robin does well when he is appriached first, and Mac players tend to do that. You just got to find ways to compensate for Robins slowness.

idk maybe the Macs I played werent very good.
Keep in mind that I'm not the best of players but :
- He's lightning fast (+ super armor everywhere) so it's hard to throw spells effectively without leaving yourself wide open.
- Robin's grab is horrible against him, I've tried to stand on the ledge and shield grab him but he'd ever push me too far with his dash attack or go through me. It's hard to grab him out of a roll as well because he'll usually be too far.
- Getting back on stage or on the ground seems pretty difficult, Robin is floaty and Mac can take full advantage of that with his speed. Elwind can be useful here but if he shields it you better be prepared to take damage.
- It's hard to touch him at close range all around due to Robin's slowness, even while predicting his moves. Against good Macs I can't ever land a smash attack, he'll have time to do a second roll after I predicted the first before my attack connects (it'll probably get better with the c-stick).
- His counter adds insult to the injury, it's already hard enough to hit him as it is. Not to mention he can sometimes use it mid elwind jab or arcfire.
- KO Punch.

I can usually see the things I could improve or what I should have done better when I loose, but against him I feel utterly powerless.

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Little Mac's speed and power makes him a pretty big horror for Robin, but even aerial mind games are out of the question. He's called "Little Mac" for a reason.
Usually I would try to counter LM's ground game with Robin's Side Tilt or just neutral if he whiffs a smash. Also, is it me or is Mac also a glass cannon? 80% or so I can throw him off using back throw far enough from the ledge so his Side B recovery misses.

But really, Robin gains advantage anytime he's in the air(same with every character Mac faces). Just need to watch for Counter and adjust to how your opponent approaches, either through Side B, Dash Attack, or, if the Mac wants to get more into mind games, Pivot Grabs.

Last edited:

LordSpectreX

Smash Rookie
Hi, first post.

Anyway, it hasn't been mentioned yet, but I feel Lucario is a good counter to Robin. He's fast, got an excellent recovery game, has a counter, zones you out with his forward smash and other normals, and his Projectile, especially charged will go through ArcFire and ArcThunder, meaning you have to rely on Thoron which is a bit dodgy.

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
You can't rely on Thoron for that. You'd have already gotten hit in For Glory. Also, FSmash isn't THAT much a zoning took as Aura Ball is. Even then, be careful around him when it's charged. I'd also think downB could have some use against Thoron, since it does angle up sometimes.

So, does anybody have strategies for Monado Boy? He's been a pain in the arse when he switched to speed, buster, shield, and smash.

Last edited:

Moonlighter

Smash Cadet
I've definitely had a lot of trouble with Little Mac. He moves in so quickly on you that it's really difficult to find any kind of breathing room for charging your Thunder tome, and Robin doesn't have any good answers to really have him let up on you, I've found. I was hoping that I could take advantage of Robin's amazing Levin aerials, but their short-hop is way too high and I constantly found myself getting jabbed or dash-attacked out, with no great method of popping Little Mac up in the first place. His normals appear to have way more priority than the Bronze Sword. Arcfire is a little more useful, but I don't think it comes out quickly enough to scare Little Mac out of an approach. My best hope is that Little Mac is Counter happy against the wrong things, and I can try to bait them out and punish with a forward smash or grab or something. In general, the dude is just unafraid of getting near Robin, and he has pretty good reasons not to be.

Speaking of grabs, that's probably one of the more frustrating parts. I rarely feel Robin's mediocre grab range as hard as I do with Little Mac. It's like you need to breathe right down Little Mac's neck to grab a hold of him, and he can just ftilt or jab you out of a dash-grab attempt and turn it into a lot of damage. Grab attempts just don't feel like they work well against him. If it were easier to nail them and a little safer to pull it off, I don't think I'd have as much trouble with him as I do. I might have more luck with that roll-cancelled grab tech, though.

I kinda have to go running towards Palutena if I run into Little Mac on For Glory, haha.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Little Mac is definitely a problem matchup. It sucks that his dash attack is basically safe on shield (he can jab you before you can grab punish), so your best option is to space him out with a forward tilt before he gets in your grill. Incorporating the roll cancel grab into our game might make the matchup easier, as it allows us the punish him at a much farther range.

Fortunately, i've played like 1 (out of maybe 30?) Little Mac player that was actually good in For Glory, haha.

EDIT: On the bright side, if you get him off stage he's pretty much dead due to Robin's solid ledge guarding.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
It might be my lack of skill with Robin, but I found myself having a problem against decent Sonic users. His speed can effectively counter Robin before he can get any good hits off. I guess speed really does kill.
Rosalina and Palutena counter Robin pretty harshly, and anyone who can wall you with range can become a pain in the butt (mainly good samus/link players) then there's little mac......
I went up against my bro's Palutena and performed quite well, but she's also a character that takes time to use effectively, so that may play a part in matchups.

Dreleth

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dreleth
I've had troubles with Sheik and Ness, I don't really know about Little Mac since I only played one good one in For Glory. Rosaluma is kinda annoying as well, but oh well.

EDIT: Also Fox and Falco...

Last edited:

Agosta44

Smash Ace
Biggest problems I've had are Rosalina and Mario. Rosalina is very beatable, but requires a LOT of work. Mario is difficult because at a distance he can cape all of your attacks, and up close he can pummel you very quickly.

Little Mac is so easy to fight it's not even funny. Play patiently and bait him. Get him off the ledge and a quick Thunder1 will knock him out of his recovery and 9 times out of 10 they don't expect it and fail to recover to the stage.

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Biggest problems I've had are Rosalina and Mario. Rosalina is very beatable, but requires a LOT of work. Mario is difficult because at a distance he can cape all of your attacks, and up close he can pummel you very quickly.

Little Mac is so easy to fight it's not even funny. Play patiently and bait him. Get him off the ledge and a quick Thunder1 will knock him out of his recovery and 9 times out of 10 they don't expect it and fail to recover to the stage.
A good LM would use Side B to get back on the stage, not recovery. Usually a good edge guard with the Levin Sword will get him off far enough if you see he has to. The main problem is still getting him off the stage.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Arcfire, Ftilt, Elthunder, and Nair are your friends in the Mac matchup, in my experience. Ftilt for spacing, Nair for aerial harassment and gimps, Elthunder for a quick damage racker and mid-range zoning, and Arcfire for putting the fire pillar on the stage, and therefore giving you stage control for a brief time, and a Mac that has to take control from you is a Mac that's prone to make mistakes to take advantage of.

MrXilas

Smash Rookie
The issue with Robin is that his/her running speed is so slow. It makes Robin an easy target I feel. As excited as I was for the character, I wouldn't be surprised if Robin ends up mid to low tier simply because of his/her speed.

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
The issue with Robin is that his/her running speed is so slow. It makes Robin an easy target I feel. As excited as I was for the character, I wouldn't be surprised if Robin ends up mid to low tier simply because of his/her speed.
I wouldn't say the speed matters. I mean, go look at a few other characters like Link. They have similar running speed. Robin just happens to have a WAY different playstyle in terms of gameplay. Regardless, Robin has the tools to win despite the low speed.

MrXilas

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't say the speed matters. I mean, go look at a few other characters like Link. They have similar running speed. Robin just happens to have a WAY different playstyle in terms of gameplay. Regardless, Robin has the tools to win despite the low speed.
Valid point. It's just weird to play as him now that I have been maining Lucina. Robin is kind of like Ike in the sense you need to chose your openings and then turn them into damage.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I have also noticed the huge difficulty dealing with more faster characters. I hate going against Greninja as Robin. Zamus has also proved somewhat of a pickle, but I feel more confident dealing with Macs now. Defensive play against quick characters is a good mindset to start from when dealing with them.

You can also try stunning them appropriately with Thunder or Elthunder and Elfire in the places they find easy to go mobile. I managed to ruin some Shadow Sneaks with well-placed ArcFire. Robin also seems quite deadly during air and D-Smash can always surprise unexpectedly due it's little sparks. Levin Sword Aerials and F-Air + N-Air are also your good friends. Macs ain't air fighters so you gotta send them off-stage in anyway you can.

Jabs, Arcthunder and other high knockback moves can set nicely for Macs' doom if you keep them enough away from stage, Robin's floatiness and Elwind lets him do nice off-stage fighting along with hard-hitting Levin Aerials (Provided they don't JoltHaymaker as defense, but I remember the aerial version doesn't have invicibilty so time it right, I guess?)

Last edited:

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
Gotta start somewhere :seuss:
Better quality than most camera-trained-on-3ds captures I see, but on the subject of somewhere to start, I'd recommend a capture card. Also, if you can get good at commentating, the communicative touch really adds a depth to potential audience-- many of the most successful youtubers are entertaining rather than skilled.

I'm not sure if it's a bad matchup, but i've had difficulty with Pikachu

His neutral B negates Thunder charging, he's fast and somewhat hard to hit as well
The fact that I can outpace Pikachu in the air and that it doesn't have any crazy grab-range to worry about have me thinking the matchup is moderately balanced-- while thunders bar Thoron aren't much use, Pikachu's reliance on aerial combos does give you some options. Mostly it's that Bair trap offstage combined with Thunder making it unsafe to recover high or low...

I second the difficulty of matchups against Mario (fireballs), Little Mac, Greninja, and Sheik... though I'll add Falcon to that mix-- recovering against him's never easy, but I've had better luck breaking through Jiggly WoPs than dealing with Falcon's aerial speed... Sonic, Marth/Lucina, and even DHD haven't given me overly much trouble yet, but I've also likely encountered fewer... though, vs DHD, base 'thunder' being able to stop his usual projectiles and Thoron having better range than any of his projectiles does seem to give us options. Samus is actually a challenging matchup if she's played right, as her missiles make charging a pain and her charge shot forces you to attempt a rushdown (not Robin's forte). ZSS I'm unfamiliar with the 'real' matchup, as most I've seen are either bad or trying for the infinite...

Oh, also, Lucario. Force Palm can shut down Arcfire, Aura Sphere can shut down Arcthunder and below, Double Team can shut down the entire air game, his own air game can shut down your recovery-- you can't even spike him with that aura-boosted ExtremeSpeed... The aura aspect makes the matchup even more stressful, though, pressuring you to finish him even when there's no safe method for it... There's likely worse matchups, but this one feels to have a unique sort of pressure. Might just be that I've not played enough of them, of course, though.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Better quality than most camera-trained-on-3ds captures I see, but on the subject of somewhere to start, I'd recommend a capture card. Also, if you can get good at commentating, the communicative touch really adds a depth to potential audience-- many of the most successful youtubers are entertaining rather than skilled.
The recording is done from an iPad, so I can understand the comment.

Also, I do have a capture card; for the Wii U. Once that version drops the quality of my videos will skyrocket. I unfortunately do not possess the means of recording commentary live, so I have to settle for post-commentary, which is not nearly as fun. On my former channel I did lots of commentary for a different game, but most of it was pretty bland, I'll admit.

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
Am I the only one in here that laughs when a Little Mac shows up?

Y'all need to set up more tents at the ledge to limit Mac's options.

What I do:
1) I turn around facing the ledge so Little Mac so he sees my cute butt and gets mad because my F.Robin is gay (and also, if he dash attacks, generally he'll end up closest to the ledge, and you're now in grab range, facing his direction. His only options: Buffer a roll, spotdodge, try for Down Smash. Maybe a counter. Maybe. Your options: Grab ->FThrow, shieldgrab, fsmash, dsmash, ftilt, dtilt, jab, usmash.. > a piss easy edgeguard, especially when a Mac forms a recovery habit you can read)

2) Camp and read a Korrasami fanfiction, because reading it is worth me time, unlike Little Mac, who is looking like a Dr. Suess book. (He's reduced to five approach options: Dash attack/Side B, Dash grab, Dash to bait a reaction and grab, dash to bait a reaction and attack, and roll into you. If he's grabbin', turn to face him, spotdodge, and BACKTHROW>EDGEGUARD!!! If he just dash attacks/Side Bs, see above. If he's mindgaming by running and waiting, BACKTHROW>EDGEGUARD!!! If he's rolling, DOWNSMASH.

3) Stare at all the pretty colors on the Magicant stage because i'm gay as hell. It's so pretty and pink... and that song...(Watch the stage, always. If he camps, YES! Chuck some thunders at him, no more than 2, if that! to tease him into approaching. Too many thunders, he'll close the gap and wail on you, so please be careful.)

Psyant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyant
I have a lot of trouble against Metaknight as Robin. All Robin's stuff goes over his head and he can close the distance between them extremely quickly. I think small fast characters are probably the worst for Robin. I usually destroy any Robin players when I play Pikachu as well.

A Gray Person

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gray21oh
3DS FC
1719-3271-0480
Generally I find their worst matches to be Falcon, Sonic, Greninja, Shiek and Palutena. The first four being able to rush down and have Robin just struggle to charge a thunder or lay an Arcfire and Palutena's reflect barrier just sucks when they time it right against a thunder like Thoron.

As with Little Mac I tend to see it as Robin having a bit more advantage with Little Mac's premise being pretty simple. I usually tend to charge thunders in the air since Mac ain't one for straight jabs in the air, maybe even try to Elwind once in a while even though it might make them vulnerable. I can see Robin vs Mac being a tight match but honestly I think in a bizarre wait it's fairly even, I'd even argue Robin has slight advantage.

Marth/Lucina I think really depends on how they rush down and how they adapt.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Mac's match-up seems really simple: who makes a mistake first loses.

applies to most match-ups. between Robin's range and projectiles... i see Robin having the edge, here. you just need to use the Levin Sword very sparingly to get a hit when it really counts.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
i am quite displeased with his inclusion over Chrom, but as i said, 3 of my friends main robin; and it's not funny to be Arcfired almost every single match...
Not to derail the thread, but Chrom wouldn't have brought anything really new to Smash. Robin does, which was the deciding factor. Lucina could've easily been Chrom, but since they are basically the same, it didn't matter who showed up. I may prefer Chrom over Lucina, but still, same result. In short, we do have Chrom, except it's Lucina. As for Robin, I'm glad he's in, even though I never thought about having him as a character before he was revealed. I love how he's been implemented into Smash.

So what if you face a lot of Robins? He's a pretty popular guy. He doesn't fare well against speed, though.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Robin's worst matchup is himself, as Grima.
Yet he defeated that. Surely can defeat others too.

Also I feel like cringing everytime there's baseless negativity on Robin because Chrom. We have IMO the best end result (if taking it account Lucina's popularity) on how the FE-reps went this time.

Still, it's time to put your butthurt in your past. The game's been out for soon about a month now.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Also I feel like cringing everytime there's baseless negativity on Robin because Chrom. We have IMO the best end result (if taking it account Lucina's popularity) on how the FE-reps went this time.
This is pretty much how I feel. Chrom or Lucina, it would've made no difference. As far as I'm concerned, they are EXACTLY the same, except one's a chick. Robin is the real prize. Who could've been a better pick than him(well, I don't know much about FE outside of Awakening, so what do I know)?
Still, it's time to put your butthurt in your past. The game's been out for soon about a month now.
Not sure why anyone would be bitter about this result, but whatever. But you're right, the time for complaining has long been over.

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
I'm still pretty new to this game but the toughest matchups so far have been:

- Rosalina: It's a real pain to avoid all of her disjointed attacks with Luma. She controls enough of the stage this way that you can hardly ever get to safety. Once you get used to dealing with Luma it becomes manageable.

- Sheik: I guess I don't understand this matchup if people don't mention it much. She puts on easy pressure with superior speed, and she beats us at range(!) just by spamming needles. I don't want to be forced to approach Sheik with Robin. The good news is we seem to punish a little harder and kill more easily.

- Mario: Cape beats all your moves. You'd like to keep him out since his attacks are quick but it's hard to zone him when cape beats all your moves.

- DeDeDe: Maybe surprising. I've been unable to keep up with him in sheer damage output. Considering his weight you need to put on a lot of damage before you can KO. Maybe I just need to work on my edgeguards. Gordos used defensively make it tough to pressure him during recovery and his bair kills pretty early.

Xerox the beautiful

Smash Rookie
I have a hard time against anyone with quick projectiles who can block my thunder and elthunder. I can't really win a projectile war if I have a limit on mine and my slow run speed makes approaching someone spamming projectiles a bit hard. Mega man in particular is annoying because of his ability to Rush cancel arcfire. Faster characters are also a bit difficult because of the limit on my moves as well as the high endlag on many of them making it much more rewarding to fake me out then usual. I'm not just going to complain though as I'm constantly trying to find ways to make these matchups more doable and if anyone can give me some advice I would very much appreciate it.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
You know who counters Robin? F***ing Master Core

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Master Fortress is gonna absolutely murder us.

All Robin knows how to do is Rout. He's got no experience in seizing ****. :V

Top Bottom