• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who are your mains so far... how do you feel about the characters?

Echostarter

Smash Rookie
Hey, guys (newbie post). =D

I dunno who my mains truly are. But, so far it's looking like it's gonna be Olimar, Wolf and Toon Link.

I really want to put Fox and Pokemon Trainer to be part of the list as well, tho.

DroxSorcerer

Smash Cadet
So far, Sonic is my main. My playstyle apparently works with him.

I use Pikachu and Pokemon Trainer sometimes too.

Dedede. I'm so glad I assumed I would main him before even trying him out. He fits perfectly with my playstyle. I prefer powerhouses like Dedede and Snake.

Enfilade

Smash Cadet
Haven't unlocked everyone yet (still missing about 4 chars), and I haven't played THAT much compared to some people out there (probably about 10 hours over the last 2 days). Either way, here's my opinion on a few of them:

Snake: I was originally going to main him for humor factor and because I love MGS, but after trying him all I can say is that he's fun as balls and very unconventional. He's insanely powerful and has all sorts of neat tricks. I don't think he'll be top tier by any means, but he'll definitely be competitive.

Pit: Fast, great recovery, good quick high priority attacks, a great projectile and good finishers. He should be one of the better characters.

Wario: His air game is insane! So much aerial DI, as a Jigglypuff mainer in SSBM I'm pretty pleased. His B moves seem nearly useless, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Meta Knight: He's quick and does a lot of damage, but lacks something. Not quite sure yet, but I don't really fear him or feel incredibly powerful playing him. It's probably his lack of solid reliable killers.

Pikachu , Zelda, and Luigi all seem really buffed from melee.

Marth is still annoying.

Samus stands out atm as being pretty weak/nerfed, but I've always sucked with her in melee so it's possibly just me

One thing I've noticed is that almost every character so far seems usable. This wasn't the case in melee, you could tell within 5 minutes that characters like Bowser, Kirby, and Pichu were terrible.

Regardless of what the tiers are, I foresee even low and mid tier characters being competitive this time around, as nobody seems horribly over/underpowered. I highly doubt we'll see only the same 6-7 characters at tournaments like it was in melee.

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
Olimar.

Grab range is nearly unparalleled, knockback is insane on half his moves.

Plus, Pikman do wicked damage over time. Olimar for top tier!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
well, since my preorder hasn't arrived yet :mad: i've only played PK trainer, Charizard to be exact (never died) in the gamestop tourney. won every match too. i chose him because charizard is the best pokemon in my opinion, and i would've sold my soul to satan to have him in brawl, but it looks like sakurai beat me to it ;)

gotta say, he grew on me fast, if there is such thing as love at first site, it was PK trainers update on the DOJO. Charizard all the way man, but i guess i'll need to learn squirtle and ivysaur too, as soon as i get my copy.... :mad:

tral

Smash Cadet
ROB. God, I picked him up and just about wet myself. He is a total match for me. I love his awesome recovery, strong moves, and retro look.

I thought I was going to main Olimar, but he feels unnecessarily complicated to me. I have to work too hard to achieve the same results as a simpler character.

But I love what they have done to Bowser and I love Snake too. But still, I gotta say:

ROB 4 LYFE

Oi Kyon

Smash Journeyman
I'm currently perfecting my Zamus and Ike. I also play well with Pit, but I don't really want to main him.
I might want to make Lucario and Wolf part of my secondary mains.

KenV

Smash Rookie
Well...after playing with everyone for a while (I played 454 matches to unlock everyone, and then a good 100 more playing around with everyone)

I'm still working with Marth, Wolf, and possibly Lucario.

Marth has been my main since melee, but I'm slowly leaning more towards Wolf. As for Lucario, he's just like Mewtwo without the annoying floatiness, plus he's got the aura bonus =]

As for how I feel about the characters. I'm pretty neutral about all of them, except for Sonic. Quite honestly I don't understand why people wanted Sonic in the game so much, I just hate him completely in the game =S

Tatsujinken

Smash Journeyman
I main Link, and I'm liking him a lot. For the most part, I think I transitioned pretty well from Melee Link to Brawl Link. He's lost combo potential along with pretty much everyone else, but I feel that his projectile game is as effective as always.

I have more fun playing with Ike though. Jesus, landing a clean blow with that guy feels so satisfying.

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
Olimar.

Grab range is nearly unparalleled, knockback is insane on half his moves.

Plus, Pikman do wicked damage over time. Olimar for top tier!

NukeA6

Smash Master
My mains so far are Zero Suit Samus, Zelda, and Snake. I'm starting to get used to Bowser and DK.

I don't like Olimar (he seems boring) but I do like Wolf. I don't think he deserves to be called a clone because he's more Luigified than Luigi (minus the Final Smash). Zelda seems better to use and Zero Suit Samus feels like Sheik. ROB is a great addition and Ivysaur is strangely interesting.

I'm glad Pichu ain't around.

Supersmashbro125

Smash Apprentice
I was gona main Link,untilI saw Zelda,she is much stronger now!

Zero suit samus too,iher whip is cool

so #1 main is Zelda #2 is ZSS

WuTangDude

Smash Ace
My main is Toon Link (who I knew I'd be good with), and my back-ups are Sonic and PKMN Trainer.

I wanted to main Olimar, but I wasn't that good with him...

Wolf however, turned out to be quite the surprise. :)

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
i played the game for the first time today :)

Ike is amazing in Free 4 alls
Zelda is really good
Sheik is even better (but the D-air caught me off guard one time....it cost me a life :(
DK is pretty good
Pit is Awesome......(of course) *looks at name*
Those are my best ppl so far

TyrannicWinter

Smash Rookie
Lucario sorry mewtwo lovers (I used mewtwo also so plz don't hate me)

Fox <------ main last to games

MetaNight love hime but still need work with him

and soic I like but not sure about him havn't found any good combo chains yet that work

andytw710

Smash Cadet
Still like Diddy, Pit, Peach, and Bowser. Started to really like Lucas. Meta Knight is still good but a little unwieldy to me at times. I also really like squirtle from PKMN trainer.

If I could play Zero Suit Samus by herself then probably her as well.

Kira_smogon

Smash Rookie
Well I can't decide on who my 1st will be. The spot goes to either Olimar or Diddy. Diddy fits my play style very well, as does Olimar.

Olimar
-----------------
+Great range
+Spammable F-B
+ A good combo of power and speed
+ Very fun to play as

- Tether recovery is easily ledgeguarded
- Pikmin die very easily
- A good opponent can prevent you from getting more pikmin which makes you useless in battle

Diddy Kong
-------------------------------
+ Great air game
+ A somewhat nice revocery
+ Can rack up damage easily via combos
+ Very fun to play as
+Bannana Game

- Somewhat weak
- Lack of KO moves
- Light weight (lighter than Olimar)

I guess I will just have to test them both out and see who I do better with. I love both Olimar and Diddy so it comes down to who feels better, and who nets me the most wins.

Zodiac

Smash Master
As for the new characters,
Ike, he's slow as sin but if you use him properly then he's deadly
Pit-I tried pit but I just dont like him as much as I thought, He might grow on me later.
Zero Suit Samus- she's my second favorite new character thus far
Math-Heck yes.

In order my Brawl mains so far
Link-What did you expect form me?
(I dont have toon link yet but I suspect he will be in this posistion)
Marth-Why? Because he was my second in melee
Sheik-Yippe kai yea.
Ike-Because he's new and I havnt figured the bugger out yet.
Zamus-She'll be in here somewhere

Zodiac

Smash Master
Link-Beacause who else?
(Toon Link will probally take this posistion)
Marth-Because he was my second in melee
Sheik-Because I like sheik.
Ike-In last place because I havnt quite figured out the bugger.

Kietharr

Smash Cadet
Snake is main, secondaries are Wolf, R.O.B. and Sheik/Zelda

I really like Snake's huge arsenal of edge guarding explosives, virtually every smash and b move he has is practically made for it as well as a meteor smash. Staying near the ledge is key for him because it gives him maximum range on his various projectiles and gives him a chance to get enemies off of the stage so he can set up landmine combos.

Wolf is just a crazy beat 'em up character who takes almost no thought to play, he's mostly reflexes and instinct like Fox but slower and more forgiving durability wise., Fun after a rough day when I just want to kick *** without thinking.

R.O.B. is a weird character but his air attacks are great as are his smashes, laser is a pretty good move and up b is simply awesome for recovery and movement.

Sheik was my old melee main but he's been nerfed, still working on a good switching strategy between zelda/sheik because sheik alone isn't viable in brawl IMO.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Ive played a few hundred matches, and Ive found that form the time being, I'm maining:

Olimar - I still need to completely figure him out, but he's at the top, he's just unbelievably awesome.

Pit - I was VERY surprised by this, I hated his voice before the game came out, and didnt think he'd be so great, but now Im used to the voice, and beat event match 41 1st try with him, so I found my second main. (I know, he's overused, and I normally dont hop on bandwagons, but I have to make an exception here)

Toon Link - I expected this. He's fantastic, and his d-air is GREAT.

Ike - Ike is another surprise. I cant get over how much fun he is to play, and he works so well with my style.

'm going to try to main 5 guys, but the 5th slot is still undecided. Here are the contenders, just dont know which I enjoy best:

Diddy
Snake
G&W (I love his changes)
Wolf
Sonic (HUGE surprise, Im not a big sonic fan)

I'd put Meta up here, but due to tournament results lately, I see top tier for him, and thats where I draw the line, as the Meta mainers will flow in by the thousands...

Rominati

Smash Cadet
My expected main was Lucario.

I just own so much *** with him its scary. Ive only lose twice online with him.

My surprises were definately

Olimar (IDK why but he feels just sp appropiate online)
Fox
and
Ike(Its crazy the moment I played him I instantly fell in love)

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
This is sweet. Look at all the variety in this thread. Brawl has such an even line-up, it's amazing.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
By far, R.O.B. is my favorite character. It's like he's the character I've always wanted to play as in any Smash game ever, and he just fits my gameplay style so well. The instant I picked him up I became a local legend of wreckage.

Rabbi Dan

Smash Rookie
Zelda is amazing.

Powerful projectile? Check!
Killing aerials? Check!
Reflector? Check!
Unapproachable from above? Check!
Great recovery? Check!
Spike? Not sure, but going to say "Check!" for dramatic effect.

I'll probably work on integrating Sheik into Zelda's game for low percentage fighting, but right now I'm cleaning house with Zelda alone.

In Melee I was a Fox player.

batsman415

Smash Cadet
After playing Brawl some more, Pokemon Trainer is easily my main. And i dont mean maining one pokemon, i mean all 3 of em. Start of with Squirtle, KO with Ivysaur (Beware the upsamsh), and then tank with Charizard. He s easily the most versatile character in the game, and gives opponents a good shake up when you switch. My secondary is Pit, just as I began to think he was going to be.

On a side note, everyone is being mained! All the characters are getting love, which is just another reason why this game is so ****ing amazing.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Definite Main: Lucas (much to my surprise)
Possible other mains/secondaries (haven't decided yet): Marth, Ike, Dedede, Sonic, R.O.B.
Vaguely possible I'll use them for more than fun: Zelda, Pit, Diddy.

Thus far, I love most of the characters. Granted I've stayed away from most of the veterans due to having little interest in most of them, but the newcomers all play great. As above, I pretty much fell in love with Lucas, and hes now a definite main for me, but all the others seem good too - which made picking even Lucas as a main hard, and its still making picking another main/secondaries tough. In addition to the above, I like playing Snake, Olimar, Zero Suit Samus, and even (to my surprise) Wario. Meta Knight is okay, but I'm not that fond of him. The only that doesn't really fit with me is Lucario. I just don't like his moves.

Other than them, Trainer I've barely touched due to lack of interest and the fact that he didn't impress me when I used him in SSE. Wolf and Toon Link I'm deliberately avoiding due to hating the former and feeling the latter should not be in. Veterans I've just noticed that with Link, either I'm not as good with him as I once was, or hes not as good as he once was.

Zevox

OATH

Smash Apprentice
falcon for some reason i like him better in melee. it just feel's right ;]

Gnostic

Smash Rookie
Math-Heck yes.
Math ftw.

Big fan of Diddy so far. The bananas are incredibly fun to use. It's interesting how what I thought would be useless was implimented perfectly. I love his aerials, especially his Dair. His only big downside is his recovery(s) I absolutely hate his jet pack. It just leaves you so open, especially since you bounce upon landing and it can be knocked off of him. Although it is entertaining when a piece of the jet pack lands right on top of someone and explodes, killing them.

Other characters such as Kirby and Sonic have made a good impression on me as well. Kirby got a major buff. So much better then the Melee Kirby.

Jash Thor

Smash Cadet
My friends and I grabbed a copy at midnight and spent the weekend playing. We haven't unlocked every character yet (mostly because neither of us feel like completing the SSE), but I've definitely picked some favorites.

Pit is beyond awesome. People say he's overused but I don't care. He's fast, strong, and can fly. No one uses him in my circle of Smash partners, so I'm safe claiming him to myself. Olimar is another great character. I didn't expect to like him so much. Pikmin tossing is oodles of fun and his Final Smash is devastatingly effective. Those are my two mains at this point, but I also often switch between Luigi, Falco, and Lucas. Also, IKE IS A TANK. Whenever one of us would use him, that person wouldn't win, but they'd walk away with 8+ KO's everytime. He's ridiculously powerful.

I love the hell out of the game though. Admittedly, I'm not a Smash "purist"; I'm not someone who plays the game competitively so I don't have an understanding of advanced techniques and the such. I play it for fun, and I love it the best out of all three Smash Bros. I can't wait to get the controller back in my hands.

Mpp

Smash Rookie
I tried to keep out the characters i didn't have much to say about..These are just my opinions ^^ of course we all have our own not trying to 'bash' any characters here (:

Current Mains//
Captain Olimar: This space-man is way better than i ever imagined. His 'army' of pikmin really shocked me as to how good they can be. Being limited to six seems like a good number although i'd much rather enjoy the limit of 50 like the game :3. His pikmin having the properties that they do From Pikmin//Pikmin 2 is another feature i was glad to see. Having the ability to throw them at enemies, thwack opponents with various pikmin, and the long chain to survive what more could they have done to make him a great character. While each pikmin is 'strong' in their own way..the purple are like..having a shell at your disposal. These hard hitters aren't rare to come by and really can turn the tides in battle. I play this guy almost every match and i very much enjoy his combos that i have found so far. His final smash isn't the best, but it's also decent in it's own aspects. Damaging the opponents and coming down for a crash landing killing them sometimes is fun to watch and good to do. <3

Sheik//Zelda: I enjoy sheik a way more than being Zelda. I still haven't found out if you can start with Sheik right off the bat as you could in Melee, i'm hoping there is a way seeing as the transformation length is longer in brawl. Sheik was my main in Melee, and i'm glad to have the choice of playing her again in this game. I used her at a Gamespot tournament last weekend, and while i lost i still did pretty well in my opinion. xD At least i hope so. Anyways, her ability to keep the opponent from being able to react sparked my interest and seems the same in Brawl. As well as having a mostly instant kill Final smash it's a no brainer that she is kept in my top choices.

Lucas: Something i didn't expect. I completely fell in love with this character as soon as i tried him. I expected an exact copy of Ness, but i got a completely different character(with all due respect to the similarity to Ness.) He may not be the strongest character, but his Final smash is deadly as well as his 'Smash' attacks. I love the ability to freeze people and having the absorbant shield is a nice addition to keep from ness. Lucas is someone to look out for if you come against him.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Mario: I've never been a big fan of this character in any of the three Smash Bros. so far. His attacks just never sparked my interest much nor did his playstyle. I'll admit in Melee he was a pretty good choice and was decent to be. In Brawl i don't think he's been improved or downgraded either way. He's been given use of his water ability from Mario Sunshine, while all this does is push people it can be viable in some situations. Sure he's basically the same but still poses a threat on the battle field. His Final Smash is impressive and one of the easier to aim ones. I personally don't like this character much but to each his own.

DK(Donkey Kong): Again, another character i have never liked much. Sure he hits hard, but at the same time dies pretty easily. Basically in my opinion just a hard hitter, BIG target, and only good to be when you know how to play him at a decent extent. His survivability does make up for how easily he gets knocked back, getting back to stages is pretty easy as DK. As for his Final smash i was dissapointed. With all the games he's been in they had to pick Donkey Konga?! I mean come on, it even recquires action during it to be used to it's fullest power. Weak if you have bad timing, overall i don't care for this character.

Link: Being a playable character in all three games so far, Link is one of the 'Veterans' and a great choice for some. I enjoyed him in both the N64 version and Melee. In my opinion Link isn't as good in Brawl as he was in the past games. He seems to be a lot slower and his attack power looks to have been weakened(well to me...) Sure his assorsment of ranged attacks is fun to use, i don't like his new 'whirlwind' boomerang though. The final smash is good just have to time it right. I don't mind playing this character but i find myself avoiding him most of the time. :3

Samus: Not much to say about this girl. Seems the same as in Melee, just with the Amazing Final smash and After affect. Great character to play, if you enjoy the balanced ranged/up close style that Samus has.
>Zero Suit: I enjoy this character a lot. I'm sure the majority of people would agree that she is fun to play and has a great mixture of ranged 'whip' attacks that seem to get the job done. The only downfall i see to her is the Final Smash changing you back to Samus. I'd much rather be in the Zero suit :3 Than again, everyone seems to like Samus to some extent so i don't play her much(Except for when i get her from random)

Kirby:
One of my favorite characters in the two previous games, has broken out and become yet again a fav. character of mine in Brawl. His sucking ability seems to pull in his opponents briefly and the abilities usable make more of a difference this time around(maybe i just like the flashy attacks. xD) This pink puffball has an amusing Final Smash that i enjoy watching, even though it doesn't last long. Sure he's not the strongest contender out there but he can get the job done. You just have to be careful not to get hit too hard and time your attacks well. I haven't played him as much as i should, but he defintley keeps my interest.

Pikachu: Ah, a Pokemon//Super smash bros. classic. In my eyes was weak in N64, Improved in Melee, A lot better in Brawl. This yellow mouse sure does pack some power behind his petite figure. Everything seems the same as in Melee, no really noticable new moves, just has a bit more strength behind his attacks (at least i think so xD). This characters Final Smash is defintley one i enjoy using but hate being caught in. The ability to fly across the screen in different directions while damaging your opponents and having a choice of where to go, what more can you ask for? All in all, a favorable choice.

Peach: My 2nd favorite character to play in Melee, has become great in Brawl. Sure some things aren't as good with peach and her final smash is a bit dissapointing, but when used properly she can be deadly. I love her great damage output, ability to keep your opponents at bay and still amazing survivabiltiy. I know these are getting shorter..but i'm trying to cut down the reading. Amazing character to be <3

Toon Link:
Alot more versatile than his counterpart: Link. I find him enjoyable to play and at the same time what i was expecting of the main link character. Faster and still puts out great damage, unlock him if you like link it's worth it.

~Mp

Top Bottom