• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who agrees that Melee>Brawl? (more inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe it's not the game that sucks....it's you? People that complain about Brawl's new physics aren't really good at all. I had to adapt from Samsh64 to Melee. smash64 was very floaty as well but i never complained i just practice and then eventually i got the hang of it. I don't see how people say it is not as competitive as Melee, especially when Smash64 has been played competitively even with the same pace as brawl.
Would you like to play me in Brawl to find out how much this just isn't true? Competitive players don't like competitive Brawl because as of now, it's just not fun. Being very good at it only makes it WORSE if anything. I'd be happier if I WASN'T good at Brawl.

Edit:@the guy above me: Your high aren't you? Your post states that Brawl >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brawl >_>

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Would you like to play me in Brawl to find out how much this just isn't true? Competitive players don't like competitive Brawl because as of now, it's just not fun. Being very good at it only makes it WORSE if anything. I'd be happier if I WASN'T good at Brawl.

Edit:@the guy above me: Your high aren't you? Your post states that Brawl >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brawl >_>
1) Internet is down at the moment.

2) You can suck on purpose just to prove your own point, so that dosen't help much.

From what you just said you are just a Melee purist not a you are not a competitive player you are not a competitive players. Good Competitive players can adapt to the pace of battles of the different games in the the smash series. Isai for example is a good competitive player that can change from the pace of Melee to the pace of smash 64 and change his tactics based on what is given in that game. Another example is Gimpyfish who has adapted from Melee to brawl. So what your saying holds no water if other people can make the transition between games then the problem is not the game itself it's you. (not to be offensive in anyway though)

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
1) Internet is down at the moment.

2) You can suck on purpose just to prove your own point, so that dosen't help much.

From what you just said you are just a Melee purist not a you are not a competitive player you are not a competitive players. Good Competitive players can adapt to the pace of battles of the different games in the the smash series. Isai for example is a good competitive player that can change from the pace of Melee to the pace of smash 64 and change his tactics based on what is given in that game. Another example is Gimpyfish who has adapted from Melee to brawl. So what your saying holds no water if other people can make the transition between games then the problem is not the game itself it's you. (not to be offensive in anyway though)
No Jonhs -.-

And yes, Im a competitive player, one that goes to tournaments, one who learns the advanced levels of play, one that knows how to use them blah blah blah. I adapted to Brawl, I found the broken tactic, I don't like said broken tactic so I don't play much.

How would me sucking on purpose prove my point? Wouldn't that prove YOUR point? Im trying to refute the point that those who don't like Brawl are probably the ones who are actually BETTER than you. Hell, M2K really doesn't like Brawl because he realizes that being good at it really isn't as fun as being good at Melee.

And on a final note, I play kirby, I didn't have to adapt, he plays almost exactly the same as he did in melee except without all the massive fail :p

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
No Jonhs -.-

And yes, Im a competitive player, one that goes to tournaments, one who learns the advanced levels of play, one that knows how to use them blah blah blah. I adapted to Brawl, I found the broken tactic, I don't like said broken tactic so I don't play much.

How would me sucking on purpose prove my point? Wouldn't that prove YOUR point? Im trying to refute the point that those who don't like Brawl are probably the ones who are actually BETTER than you. Hell, M2K really doesn't like Brawl because he realizes that being good at it really isn't as fun as being good at Melee.

And on a final note, I play kirby, I didn't have to adapt, he plays almost exactly the same as he did in melee except without all the massive fail :p

Thats a horrible excuse becuase their are some broken tactics in each game.
Well as you said you being good makes it worse thats is what i was referring to
better than me? how do you know how i play if i never even played you? No need to be putting people down if it just a discussion
Well I can't really say "No M2K is wrong, Brawl is loads of fun" becuase that would be my opinion just how that is his opinion to feel that way.
If you could adapt from Melee to Brawl then it does not apply to you. You failed to understand that.

Hax

Smash Champion
melee > brawl for competitive purposes.. no question asked. also don't argue with brawlpro.. i've read that guy's posts and he knows what he's talking about lol. brawl is a good game don't get me wrong, and it's great to have a new smash bros to play other than melee, but for tournies melee will always be the better game. in fact, i'll be really sad if there aren't melee tournies anymore, since all the people who suck are just using brawl as an escape route. :(

The H Kid

Original
Its sad but melee is better then brawl
and not for only competitive reasons. Smash bros forgot their roots.

DSM01

Smash Apprentice
Like others have said, you have to remember that we've had Melee for seven years, and we've had Brawl for one month. Over time, it'll develop into a much more fluid game, and then we can judge.

Also one more thing I think I should get out in the open; many people are saying that Falco's shine sucks now. If you want it to be the Melee shine, then yes, it doesn't do its job. But if you look at it in the Brawl-new-movesets way, it's not that bad. Kicking his shine out makes for easy edgeguarding, and it's also effective at pushing people away without getting too close. If we can stop thinking that Brawl is supposed to be Melee, and just accept that is isn't, I think that we'll be able to embrace the new play style.

Shuma

Smash Hero
THERE'S A ****ING MELEE FORUM!.

If you think Melee is better, go play melee, and go post in the melee forum.

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman

Wait... So you don't like Brawl so all competitive players don't like Brawl?

Hmmm..

Sweeping generalizations ITT

Like others have said, you have to remember that we've had Melee for seven years, and we've had Brawl for one month. Over time, it'll develop into a much more fluid game, and then we can judge.
More like a week.

AKC12

Smash Journeyman
You never gave it a chance. You are so used to Melee, that anything too different for you is terrible. If you play it more, you might see why he decided on more floatiness and less super fast fall characters like Fox. Once I played it, I agreed to those changes too and saw Melee as much more unbalanced because of the aerial superiority of some characters. But I guess some are so used to the previous that they won't change... I think a change is for the better, a whole new game to look into and get better at, if you stick with one it'll eventually get boring, even Melee, and this game (but will take like 10-20 years I think)...

Edit: For me, the better game overall is Brawl. The better fight system, the core mechanics, not including techs, Brawl. And for the future tourney scene, it'll be much more balanced, but who knows whether it'll be more 'fun' to watch than Melee...

Fletch

Smash Master
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe it's not the game that sucks....it's you? People that complain about Brawl's new physics aren't really good at all. I had to adapt from Samsh64 to Melee. smash64 was very floaty as well but i never complained i just practice and then eventually i got the hang of it. I don't see how people say it is not as competitive as Melee, especially when Smash64 has been played competitively even with the same pace as brawl.

Everyone that doesn't like Brawl (as been stated about a thousand times in this thread so far) is usually a competitive Melee player who happens to be very good at Brawl as well (which should happen since skill carries over quite well). Look at the tournaments so far and who the "good" players are; they are all pros from Melee. Quit making idiotic statements about players that are infinitely better than you can ever hope to be.
I'm going to answer you with my own quote; everyone that thinks Brawl is better is just saying this over and over again when it's clearly not true. Read the whole thread before you post again.

timbers92

Smash Apprentice
Brawl may be in the same series as Melee but they are two completely different games. Brawl is floatier and Melee is quicker. The only reason people think Brawl is better right now is because it's new. That's the reason I like it. I'll keep playing it because it's new. The group of "competitive" players are angry that there are no combos, L-canceling, wavedashing, etc. If you don't like the game don't play it. Brawl may not be as technical in the same sense Melee was, but it is very fun and I will continue to play it until the next smash comes out so we can argue about that. :)

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Get over yourself. Brawl's critics include M2K, Cort, HugS, Plairrnk and Zhu. The first three of those are easily among the best Melee players in the world, and the last two are also extremely talented. They would all own you in Brawl.

Foe

Smash Journeyman
They both are really fun and unique games. I enjoy both and as the smash community we shouldn't argue on what's better but on the positives/negatives of each game and IMPROVE them. Whining doesn't do anything..

maplesyrupandjam

Smash Cadet
Brawl focuses more on your choice of moves and timing rather than your reflexes to pull of ATs consistently. I enjoy Brawl much more because now i can concentrate on the raw fighting rather than using tricks or glitches to win my way through. I can now play Fox the way I always wanted to, not wavedashing bair l-cancel spam, instead I'm forced to use a variety of techniques and moves i never really needed to touch on in Melee, if you don't think that makes the game a little deeper than you're obviously in denial.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
sorry if this is kind of off-topic or if there's a thread already posted about this =(. i prefer melee for all of the typical reasons you guys seem to scorn: slower, no wavedash(techs in general really), etc...but also that my main(pikachu) seems pretty overpowered right now and i took pride in playing a crappy character. i just want to make it clear that i understand that people have reasons to like brawl more, whether it's because it's a new game or the fact that it's great for casual playing.

onto my question: does anybody here think brawl and melee can coexist? like there will be a melee competitive scene and a brawl scene?

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
I don't understand this argument at all.

90% of the market consists of casual and semi-casual gamers. 50% of the general population are slow-reaction time people that want to play a game that is enjoyable for them - Melee was simply too fast. I bet that it sounds like those people are defective or strange or something, but it is just the biological way people are. 20% of gamers don't have the physical dexterity to learn how to play Melee at a very high level (and no, I do human-computer interaction research and I'm not kidding). While some people may think nothing of it, it's as real as the hair on your head, and I suspect that only ~10% will have the same problems with Brawl.

It's really simple - do you slightly ignore 10% of your gamers (competitive) or do you COMPLETELY IGNORE a different 10%? 90% or 10%?

I could give you about 15 more numbers that all point to potential alienations that Melee caused that Brawl, at the very least, acknowledged. I don't know everything about this game and I never will, but here's the bottom line and the only number that really matters - Sakurai didn't have to do jack **** for anybody. I can't argue with getting something for nothing.

Patinator

Smash Champion
That first paragraph applies to me, I'll go ahead and admit. I can't do SHFFLs with even Marth, and my mains are Roy, Falcon, and Ganondorf. TWO characters who have low short hops and fast falling speed.

Dracadros, you hit the nail on the head.

You, sir, are proof that post count does not equal your intellect.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
drac, i don't know if you were talking to me or not =(. if you were, i'm sorry if i seemed like i made an argument to you; i didn't mean to make an argument at all. i'm perfectly fine with casual players. i just happen to be a competitive player who wants to keep playing melee competitively and hopes that the melee competitive scene will stay around and i just wanted some opinions.

then again, on second thought, you could be responding to the topic starter; in that case..sorry for my misunderstanding.

finally, lemme repeat the question: does anybody think that competitive melee and brawl can/will coexist? or will melee just be forgotten once brawl really gets started? i realize this is a pretty obscure question and is pretty hard, any thoughts are appreciated.

Joe_Sumo

Smash Apprentice
drac, i don't know if you were talking to me or not =(. if you were, i'm sorry if i seemed like i made an argument to you; i didn't mean to make an argument at all. i'm perfectly fine with casual players. i just happen to be a competitive player who wants to keep playing melee competitively and hopes that the melee competitive scene will stay around and i just wanted some opinions.

then again, on second thought, you could be responding to the topic starter; in that case..sorry for my misunderstanding.

finally, lemme repeat the question: does anybody think that competitive melee and brawl can/will coexist? or will melee just be forgotten once brawl really gets started? i realize this is a pretty obscure question and is pretty hard, any thoughts are appreciated.
i think the last paragraph should get a thread of its own. i think ill go do that...

g5otaku

Smash Cadet
Wow, so your saying they should have made melee 2.0 instead of brawl. I've played smash for years and brawl is by far the best out of all of them.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Wow, so your saying they should have made melee 2.0 instead of brawl. I've played smash for years and brawl is by far the best out of all of them.
ur so stupid

the phrase "melee 2.0" needs to have never existed

u have NO idea what ur talking about

that being said, want to play online right now? ill **** u, and i hate the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom