• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who agrees that Melee>Brawl? (more inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Okay. Seriously, Brawl can never measure up to the standards of Melee. I played it today, it is TERRIBLE.

First of all, the floatiness. Why does every float the exact same way? Marth feels like bowser and so does Falco. Falco sucks in this game.
This game is slow and non-fluid. Combos aren't really possible anymore unless you manage to pull off a two-hitter.

Now I know this isn't Melee, but still. Even if I adapt to this game more than Melee, I will like Melee more. It's just that the quickness of Melee was one of the things that made it so good. Perhaps balancing all the characters wasn't teh smartest thing to do. Now every falls the same speed and it is just sooooo slow.

Overall, Melee>Brawl.
Dude what's the point in complaining? About everyone in here is a brawl supporter and has come to talk about the game they enjoy. Complaining will just get you flamed. Now I'm not saying you can't but there are enough threads like this that you can post in. Plus wouldn't it be smarter to post this n the melee boards and express how much melee is better?

Finally the game is actually faster than melee, the lack of some advance techniques makes it seem slower. However advanced techniques will come in time. Combos may seem harder but they are definitly there. I've delivered a few 5 hit combos with squirtle in the first few days. It might change as everyone gets better but for now I know they're there.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
I'm just going to put my two cents in.

They were both great games. 6ninja was right we just need to stop arguing and go back to the games we like to play. I personally like both. I loved Roy and was sad they exed him because Ike is a horrible replacement. Ike is slow, but i have found ways to get around that. His recovery is awful due to the very minimal amount of space you can move over. I think they should have just kept Roy but given him Ike's moves. Or maybe they should have put in Sothe since he is from the Wii american FE. Honestly not many of the new characters are that good. Snake is awful(with learning he can be decent). Fox is lame. Cpt Olimar is horrible. Sonic(dont cry now) yea he sucks THERE I SAID IT!. Cartoon link is good but a clone of link none the less savor a few minor differences. Metalknight and Pit are good. Wario ill just say it
DUMB! Marth ill agree with whoever said it. He does seem slow as does falco. But falco has been improved. He has a rapid attack like foxes kick his gun hasnt changed at all. But i do i agree i dont like the reflector much. Ganondorf is once again a clone of falcon. Lucas is a cone of Ness. Lucario is decent. Jigglypuff is dumb as ever and they got rid of the ninja outfit. Pokemon Trainer is okay. Zero Suit samus is okay. Pit and Meta are the only real ones that shine and thats only because they have wings and are totally different and new. now about the games themselves.

Melee was good. But honestly wavedashing and L canceling just made it irritating. Whoever could do those better would win and it killed the game for me. Im an average player. I played in tournies id win once in awhile but Melee was too focused on you could do those things best. The floatiness in Brawl is there for a reason. In Melee it was too constant that characters wouldnt make it back to the stage from being knocked off. Now in brawl every character can make it back. Brawl is no more tricks. Brawl is whoever has come up with better combos and has better strategy will win. No more edge guarding or bs like wavedashing. Its pure just flat out skill. Brawl has good points and Melee did. Its all Opinion. I apologize for the length of this post. Brawl is better. Everything is multi player the stages are cool, and the adventure mode actually has a story somewhat. The characters ill admit arent that great. But it is definately a better more solid game. That is my .02. Hope this helps
Kids, this post is what I like to call "Irony."

Repeat after me, "Irony."

snipertango

Smash Cadet
eh edge guarding isnt that important brawl is designed to just kill the opponent by knocking them off the stage. Metal and Pit are the really only good acutal edge guarding characters due to the tremendous flight times

omiz144

Smash Apprentice
I realize that this thread's creator has his own opinion. But I'm so glad I don't share that opinion. IMO, Brawl is the best ghame to ever be released on any system. It brings competition, fun, and challenge to even the most skilled video game players. Honestly, if you can't pull off a 5-move combo, that's your own problem. All I see is a fun game that keeps my coming back to my wii time and time again.

EDGE586

Smash Cadet
For all the babies out crying about the speed and floatiness...

why the hell dont yall just play a high grav fast game....

thats what its there for... jeez its like there forcing you to play the game without any options or customization...

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
you'll notice that the pros who have commented on Brawl all seem to agree that it's a very fun game that they're going to continue playing competitively. Competitive players who can't handle the change to Brawl simply come off as whiners in comparison. If you don't like it, don't play it. And more importantly stop spamming the Brawl boards. There are plenty of melee boards to talk about why you like melee better than brawl.

snipertango

Smash Cadet
just someone being an ******* nothing more then that. Don't let it get to you. He/She is just trying to make themselves feel better.

ObeseNightmare

Smash Cadet
I realize that this thread's creator has his own opinion. But I'm so glad I don't share that opinion. IMO, Brawl is the best ghame to ever be released on any system. It brings competition, fun, and challenge to even the most skilled video game players. Honestly, if you can't pull off a 5-move combo, that's your own problem. All I see is a fun game that keeps my coming back to my wii time and time again.
Quote for extreme truth

snipertango

Smash Cadet
True obese very true i went to practice and got over a 15 combo. Its possible to keep your opponent in the air long enough to do that with any character

ObeseNightmare

Smash Cadet
just someone being an ******* nothing more then that. Don't let it get to you. He/She is just trying to make themselves feel better.
I laugh because I'm actually underweight (by a little bit, maybe 5 lbs) and this was a joke... I was making a xbl gamertag and did the "suggest a gt" feature and it came up with this..

ObeseNightmare

Smash Cadet
True obese very true i went to practice and got over a 15 combo. Its possible to keep your opponent in the air long enough to do that with any character
I hit quote after I read the "best game ever on any system in history" but sonic on sega genesis was actually really fun.

snipertango

Smash Cadet
Mars- FTW. If you cant handle the heat get out of the oven. Melee is still fun. Its not bad to just go back and play old games. No one is stopping you man. But brawl is better overall.

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
you'll notice that the pros who have commented on Brawl all seem to agree that it's a very fun game that they're going to continue playing competitively. Competitive players who can't handle the change to Brawl simply come off as whiners in comparison. If you don't like it, don't play it. And more importantly stop spamming the Brawl boards. There are plenty of melee boards to talk about why you like melee better than brawl.
QFT. i have literally made this same post everyday for the last week, its f*cking ridiculous :dizzy:

Death

Smash Lord
I simply find it funny that ,since the TC has a high post count, he assumes he can make another stupid thread like this and expect his oppinion to be valid.
Okay. Nub. Please don't try to say this topic is stupid. It is a completely logical topic. We are discussing how the slowness/floatiness/lack of AT's is affecting the game, for the worse. And yes my opinion is valid because I know what i am talking about. The only people that should say Brawl>Melee are scrubs who sucked at Melee of nubs like you who didn't play Melee (not competitively anyway) and love that you can kill someone who was amazing at Melee in Brawl, easily.

And wtf does my high post count have to do with anything? I've been around longer than you and I obviously know what I am tallking about, UNLIKE you.

TheMuffinMan0311

Smash Apprentice
Okay. Nub. Please don't try to say this topic is stupid. It is a completely logical topic. We are discussing how the slowness/floatiness/lack of AT's is affecting the game, for the worse.
You know, when Melee came out after years of playing SSB64, people thought the fastness/heavyness/lack of combos was affecting the game, for the worse. Good thing no one listened to those people and accepted change, eh?

And yes my opinion is valid because I know what i am talking about. The only people that should say Brawl>Melee are scrubs who sucked at Melee of nubs like you who didn't play Melee (not competitively anyway) and love that you can kill someone who was amazing at Melee in Brawl, easily.
I love how you make completely baseless assumptions on their skill at the game, their mindset while playing the game, and their reasons for liking Brawl, without knowing anything about them at all. It's simply fabulous. Examples of your elitism could be preserved for future generations, labeled "Hey, this is what a douchebag sounded like in 2008"

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did like Melee's handicap system more, but unlike in Melee, you can actually set how much HP you'll start with in the Stamina matches.

GamenerdAdvance

Smash Apprentice
Okay. Nub. Please don't try to say this topic is stupid. It is a completely logical topic. We are discussing how the slowness/floatiness/lack of AT's is affecting the game, for the worse. And yes my opinion is valid because I know what i am talking about. The only people that should say Brawl>Melee are scrubs who sucked at Melee of nubs like you who didn't play Melee (not competitively anyway) and love that you can kill someone who was amazing at Melee in Brawl, easily.

And wtf does my high post count have to do with anything? I've been around longer than you and I obviously know what I am tallking about, UNLIKE you.

"Nub"?

God, whatever happened to the days of the internet when discussions could maintain their maturity?

I have yet to judge Brawl, because I'm a European. Nonetheless, I can safely say that everyone had just as much of a tough time switching between SSB64 and Melee.

Or, if we want to follow your logic, "the only people who should say SSBM>SSB64 are scrubs who sucked at Smash 64 or nubs who didn't play SSB64".

Death

Smash Lord
"Nub"?

God, whatever happened to the days of the internet when discussions could maintain their maturity?

I have yet to judge Brawl, because I'm a European. Nonetheless, I can safely say that everyone had just as much of a tough time switching between SSB64 and Melee.

Or, if we want to follow your logic, "the only people who should say SSBM>SSB64 are scrubs who sucked at Smash 64 or nubs who didn't play SSB64".
How is saying "nub" immature? It simply means a newcomer.
No it doesn't go the same with SSBM>SSB64 beacuse even the first game was faster than Brawl. Im no saying that I won't play Brawl or that its a failure, I am just saying MELEE IS BETTER. And I'm arguing why. As of now, Brawl is the new game and everyone is playing it. But I can tell you right now a lot of people will be back to Melee before the year is over.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only person on smashboards who is just playing and enjoying Brawl for a few months or two and is reserving judgement?

I know there are plenty of people complaining, but I'm personally not taking anybody's word on anything. I'd much rather play the game myself, discover things on my own, and form an opinion based on my own conclusions.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
"Nub"?

Such a time existed? :rolleyes:

Seriously though... those of us who are enjoying Brawl are really sick of people complaining about it. If you want to discuss which game is better... please don't flood the Brawl boards with it. The Melee boards are still fully operational, and I have no doubt that there will be many people refuse to play Brawl, as there were people that refused to play Melee, back in the day. Just... please stop filling the Brawl boards with complaints. We can't even hardly talk about Brawl here right now.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only person on smashboards who is just playing and enjoying Brawl for a few months or two and is reserving judgement?

I know there are plenty of people complaining, but I'm personally not taking anybody's word on anything. I'd much rather play the game myself, discover things on my own, and form an opinion based on my own conclusions.
I am.

10crapthreads

higgins

Smash Apprentice
can someone just close this thread the only thing that is going on is arguing that would be best.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I like Brawl. I think it's better, that's what I think. Feel free to think what you like... mah boi.

20 landmasters.

super-7

Smash Journeyman
Melee didnt have a high score, like brawl has. 9.5 is brawls score, and thats for a reason, because its like no other game. And not every game is the same! And if you think brawl sucks just because the speed, or its floaty, then your a noob. A big noob.

fuzzy4

Smash Cadet
Im not saying you can't pull off combos, im saying you can't pull off long combos. Sure you can count 2 hits as a combo can't you? And no Falco is terrible. His laser sucks, his reflector is AWFUL.

And don't do that "u failed" ****, you look like a child.
This post makes you look like a child. I'm glad you gave the game your full day of play (maybe a third of a day of play) before you honestly decided to confirm is sucks. We all know people like you don't like the game because you're not used to it.

I remember when they took the techs outta smash 64 to make melee. It was a shock, and took me a good month before I was COMFORTABLE with melee. However, in the past 6 or so years I've come to learn that the smash series is credible in that it provides in depth gameplay through time. This is why the replay value is so incredibly high. The dynamics, the mechanics, the dimensions of strategies and gameplay are continuously changing and require second to second adaptation. If you don't want to take the time to adapt, fine, but try to be more careful in suggesting what constitutes a "better game".

In my opinion, you are overlooking the fact that Brawl is NOT melee, like some of you were hoping...and it shouldn't be. If they had given me melee with a new character roster they should have done that 4 years ago. At this point we're running out of ways to adapt, and while melee is and will continue to be timeless, just as smash 64 is, remember that Brawl has the exact same potential. It came from the same roots, it is suffering the flames of complainers who ignore the essence of smash series (as melee did in its beginning) and I am positive in time it will prove to be one of the greatest games we smashers have ever experienced.

You'll hear this everywhere on the boards. It's almost a broken record. Give it time and enjoy the new mechanics.

And be careful suggesting falco is terrible. Granted, he is not the dominant powerhouse of melee with such high speed, damage, combo and priority he was in melee, but I personally love the way he flows now. Perhaps you were a falco player because he was a god, not because he was fun. If that's the case, look to marth in this game, I'm sure you'll be happy there.

Characters have been changed for the better or worse, but we will get used to it, because the fact remains that what true smashers love about the series is STILL there. It is one epic battle between some of nintendo's greatest characters, providing both a comfortable and relaxed party style environment, as well as a strategic mental and physical challenge for competitive gamers.

I absolutely love this game. Switching from 64 to Melee taught me that change, while it may not seem to be initially, is a VERY good thing. mmmmmmm

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
Okay. Seriously, Brawl can never measure up to the standards of Melee. I played it today, it is TERRIBLE.

First of all, the floatiness. Why does every float the exact same way? Marth feels like bowser and so does Falco. Falco sucks in this game.
This game is slow and non-fluid. Combos aren't really possible anymore unless you manage to pull off a two-hitter.

Now I know this isn't Melee, but still. Even if I adapt to this game more than Melee, I will like Melee more. It's just that the quickness of Melee was one of the things that made it so good. Perhaps balancing all the characters wasn't teh smartest thing to do. Now every falls the same speed and it is just sooooo slow.

Overall, Melee>Brawl.
.... All I hear about this game is "WAH WAH WAH NO WAVEDASHING WAH WAH WAH TOO SLOW(Related to wavedashing, as it is the same speed) WAH WAH TOO FLOATY(Okay just what the hell on this one? It's called AIR BATTLES nubs. Have ANY of you even TRIED to air battle)" Look, go back to the Melee forums and complain there, you won't make anyone change their minds. On the Melee forums people will probably agree with you.

Now that the rant/flame/I owned you thing is gone, let's start provin ya wrong.

"First of all, the floatiness. Why does every float the exact same way?" <What does that have to do with anything? It won't help, nor damage the gameplay. I declare that whining.

"Marth feels like bowser and so does Falco." Whining. Moving on.

"Falco sucks in this game." Whining but you bring up a good point. At least he isn't a clone. Be happy about it. Now.

"This game is slow and non-fluid. Combos aren't really possible anymore unless you manage to pull off a two-hitter." This part shows your ignorance. ADAPT. I've had the game for 3 days and I already have a good combo.

Link- PERFECT for when the enemy is 30%+
Roll
Down(or up for lower percentages) Throw
C-Stick Up Smash
Jump and Up Attack
Fast Fall and as enemy is falling down (Skill needed here) jump Up-B
Fast Fall
If the enemy makes it to the EDGE, try and and grab him, then throw him up or to the opposite direction, either work
If enemy lands on platform, doesn't matter how, just Fsmash.
Enemy should be dead, and unless you suck, he/she/it/Yoshi would've had almost no chance to attack you unless it was Mr. G&W with his insane hax.

^^^^ Long isn't it? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5+ Five or more depending on alterations like chain throwing to rack up damage. Tested it on a Lv9 comp, works every time. (Lv9s are like your above average smasher)

"Even if I adapt to this game more than Melee, I will like Melee more. " Doubt it. Once you adapt, Melee will seem like a downgrade. Because then you will get it through your thick head that you need SKILL to win at Brawl and that it's just as fast, except Melee which had the advanced tech. EVERY SINGLE comp. player depended on.

"Perhaps balancing all the characters wasn't teh smartest thing to do" .... That sentence has so much failure there is no need to even prove it wrong.

"Now every falls the same speed and it is just sooooo slow." And? That would just make everyone pick the same 4 chars if there was falling speeds. "soooo slow" It's just as fast nublet, just without the advanced techs to make everything faster. Oh, I've just noticed dashing speed is slower. Is that what you mean? Because if you do, then you fail. Because fighting games are about FIGHTING not running away or using the "WAVDAZHIN PLOX".

"Overall, Brawl>>Melee" See I fixed it for you =D

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
.... All I hear about this game is "WAH WAH WAH NO WAVEDASHING WAH WAH WAH TOO SLOW(Related to wavedashing, as it is the same speed) WAH WAH TOO FLOATY(Okay just what the hell on this one? It's called AIR BATTLES nubs. Have ANY of you even TRIED to air battle)" Look, go back to the Melee forums and complain there, you won't make anyone change their minds. On the Melee forums people will probably agree with you.

Now that the rant/flame/I owned you thing is gone, let's start provin ya wrong.

"First of all, the floatiness. Why does every float the exact same way?" <What does that have to do with anything? It won't help, nor damage the gameplay. I declare that whining.

"Marth feels like bowser and so does Falco." Whining. Moving on.

"Falco sucks in this game." Whining but you bring up a good point. At least he isn't a clone. Be happy about it. Now.

"This game is slow and non-fluid. Combos aren't really possible anymore unless you manage to pull off a two-hitter." This part shows your ignorance. ADAPT. I've had the game for 3 days and I already have a good combo.

Link- PERFECT for when the enemy is 30%+
Roll
Down(or up for lower percentages) Throw
C-Stick Up Smash
Jump and Up Attack
Fast Fall and as enemy is falling down (Skill needed here) jump Up-B
Fast Fall
If the enemy makes it to the EDGE, try and and grab him, then throw him up or to the opposite direction, either work
If enemy lands on platform, doesn't matter how, just Fsmash.
Enemy should be dead, and unless you suck, he/she/it/Yoshi would've had almost no chance to attack you unless it was Mr. G&W with his insane hax.

^^^^ Long isn't it? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5+ Five or more depending on alterations like chain throwing to rack up damage. Tested it on a Lv9 comp, works every time. (Lv9s are like your above average smasher)

"Even if I adapt to this game more than Melee, I will like Melee more. " Doubt it. Once you adapt, Melee will seem like a downgrade. Because then you will get it through your thick head that you need SKILL to win at Brawl and that it's just as fast, except Melee which had the advanced tech. EVERY SINGLE comp. player depended on.

"Perhaps balancing all the characters wasn't teh smartest thing to do" .... That sentence has so much failure there is no need to even prove it wrong.

"Now every falls the same speed and it is just sooooo slow." And? That would just make everyone pick the same 4 chars if there was falling speeds. "soooo slow" It's just as fast nublet, just without the advanced techs to make everything faster. Oh, I've just noticed dashing speed is slower. Is that what you mean? Because if you do, then you fail. Because fighting games are about FIGHTING not running away or using the "WAVDAZHIN PLOX".

"Overall, Brawl<<<<Melee" See I fixed it for you =D
But then your opponent air dodges and your combo is ruined and you can't even follow up because there's no penalty for air dodging. Also, Lvl 9 comps will never count for anything, stop pretending they do.

Also, enough with this "you only hate brawl cus there's no wavedashing" ****. No real competitive player hasn't already broken the habit and gotten over it. It took me three matches to break the habit and get into the flow of brawl, that didn't make it any better. And whats with this "Fight in the air" crap? You act like Melee was a ground based game or something. The problem is that aerial combat doesn't really work because the new air dodge system allows you to negate anything your opponent attempts to do in the air. And of course I have to bring up the fact that Brawl is really played on the ground with a shield. The shield is the most broken thing in the game, but you n00bs don't seem to realize it. Without L-canceling there's no way to approach a shielding opponent without getting shield grabbed. So this means in a 1 on 1 battle with two non-projectile characters the aggressor will always lose as his opponent can simply shield grab for the entire game. Even worse, in a 1 on 1 battle, if one character has a spammable projectile(pit) and his opponent doesn't, if played correctly, the projectile spammer can't lose. They can force their opponent to approach with spam then shield camp until their ready for the kill. This is BAD GAME DESIGN. Yes, Im sure Sakurai never expected people to NOT mindlessly run forward and attack, but that doesn't change the fact that he and his team didn't think about how broken the defensive side of this game is.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Fun, but not competitive . . .

This game at the moment is meh . . .
-It's difficult to combo
-Taking one stock can take forever since the physics are just terrible
-Edgeguarding is out the window since recovery is ridiculously easy!
-Pit and Metaknight are gonna own everyone else!

However, you can't say that Melee, or Brawl, is better than the other since Brawl is still in its first week. We'll be able to tell where it's going in a month or two.

ObeseNightmare

Smash Cadet
I will wait to form an official opinion, but as of now... it's brawl>melee for fun, melee>brawl for competitive-ness (I still don't understand how balanced characters makes a less competitive game.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom