• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

White Pikmin

koloblican11763

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I have to get this off my chest. Does everyone REALLY think that all white pikmin are good for are latching? To be honest I can see were you are coming from but I think everyone is underestimating the usefulness of white pikmin. I think white pikmin are a great way to combo and rake up SERIOUS damage if one would just learn how to use them. I mean imagine this, you do a U-smash with a white, your opponent barely flies and still gets a few percent, you imidiatly u-tilt or u-air and wham thats another 15% easy, then you f-air b-air with another white pikmin, and then you d-air them them with any other pikmin, this spikes them into the ground, and assuming that you SHFFLed your **** you would be in perfect position for a smash or grab. White pikmin are great because they PERFECTLY set up for your next move. I have never been punished after using a white pikmin unless they were below 35% or I was using a f-smash or d-smash. They are great for knocking them just out of their range but perfectly in range of your next move. Tell me I'm not the only one to think this.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
White pikmin are great when they're at low %'s. It's when they're at high enough %'s that I might be looking for a kill, or at any time that i might want to attempt to spike.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
i have been punished for using a white pikmin in the air... the white pikmin was out prioritized and i was hit. it could just be me.... but it seems that moves go through white pikmin more so than the others.

koloblican11763

Smash Apprentice
White pikmin are great when they're at low %'s. It's when they're at high enough %'s that I might be looking for a kill, or at any time that i might want to attempt to spike.
Agreed, but at higher percents white pikmin still don't knock back as much which sets up nicely for a dash canceled U-smash or even a f-air.

Does anyone else have any other uses for white pikmin that they have been holding out? We need to use this character to its max, and if we leave even one stone unturned that could make the difference between top tier and high tier. And all those **** people that just lurk we would LIKE YOUR OPINIONS.

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully I'm not considered a four-star lurker, but I try and take advantage of whitey's increased range. It catches people off guard that I'm smashing or grabbing from that far away, and that extra distance on the ground usually leads to another hit.

nukethemall73

Smash Cadet
im very new to olimar, but my impression is that the white pikmin are just too good at latching, to not us them for that purpose.

as in, latch them on someone, then grab them, and then hit them a bit until either they are pushed out or you throw them, and i can usually get a fair bit of damage out of that, but maybe im just not used to his combos and would be able to get more damage out of that.

but like, youre combo relies on having like 4 white pikmin in a row, and that happens like, never ever ever, its rare i even get 2 in a row. but even with just 1 white pikmin, surely youd do more damage with latching, and then grabbing someone and hitting them, whislt letting the latched white pikmin do its evil work, rather than a 2 two hit combo (first white pikmin hit leading to next pikmin, which will push them out of range for a 3rd hit)

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
white pikmin are also good for grabs...they do 4% damage per hit while holding your opponent...and yes I throw every single white that I can during a match...latch is too good with them...they can work for other things but latch is their strongsuit.

Fredd

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, they`re pretty good at for setting up consecutive hits.
Latching is a given.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm assuming this thread is bringing back the topic about white pikmen in general b/c I haven't seen anything like this in a while, the topic name is "white pikmen," and the conversation is starting to move in a different direction. Forgive me if this is the wrong place. Hopefully, this will clear up some misunderstandings about white pikmen in general. ~thanks

This is all my opinion btw. In the future, pikmen won't be used to get extra damage onto your opponent.(!!!, so hurt me) They'll simply be used to play mind games with your opponent. Your opponent might try to dodge the little guys, then you can run in and grab/smash or w/e. Or they'll hit the pikmen off and you can punish their lag or punish them not paying you their attention fully. Generally speaking, either way you've got yourself an advantage after throwing the pikmen. With my prediction, the white pikmen won't be used to rack up damage WHEN THROWN, but rather thrown off the edge or whistled past. The extra latch damage from throwing them, the combo ability, and the little extra grab range and hit damage(only 4% more a hit w/ a grab, i'll explain in a minute)won't be able to compensate the bad priority and bad regular hit damage.(these two, I find more important than either of the other two) Here is my reasoning:

1.)~Grabbing~

Code:
		Red	Blue	Yellow	White	Purple	

F-throw		6	13	7	6	7	
D-throw		9	12	8	6	8	
U-throw		9	12	11	6	11	
B-throw		7	14	9	7	9	
Throw hit	2	2	2	4	2
ok... this is part of the damage chart I stole from NC-Echo's wonderful guide. It shows the pikmen, damage of each hit, and throw damage.

Question: are whites actually better for grabbing?

Not particularly. they may have a little extra range on the grab and 2% better on the hit damage, but that doesn't account for some of the other factors.

-grab throw damage-
blues have proven themselves the victor in this category. they deal more damage and more knockback than regular pikmen.(which is only especially good at high%)(blue's knockback is not higher than purple except on backthrow, but Ps have bad range on the grab remember)

-comparison of total damage-
if you add the damage from hitting your opponent while they're grabbed(assuming 1 hit on average) + the actual throw damage, you'll find that it doesn't stack up to the others. If you want to play the devil's advocate and argue that you can pull off multiple hits, then you're assuming they're at a high percentage. If they're at a high percentage, then either you haven't done a good job killing them, or shouldn't even be using whites in the first place(b/c whites can't finish your opponent properly)
Code:
throw+ 1hit	Red	Blue	Yellow	White	Purple	

F-throw		8	15	9	10	9	
D-throw		11	14	10	10	10	
U-throw		11	14	13	10	13	
B-throw		9	16	11	9	11
2.)~Damage~

This is a given. they don't do as much damage with regular attacks. simple as that.

3.)~Combo-ing~

Whites are, however, good for combo-ing as koloblican11763 mentioned in the topic sentence. this can be applied to the grabs and attacks at low percentages. The only problem I have with this is that whites have much lower priority than the other pikmen.

I think white pikmin are a great way to combo and rake up SERIOUS damage if one would just learn how to use them. I mean imagine this, you do a U-smash with a white, your opponent barely flies and still gets a few percent, you imidiatly u-tilt or u-air and wham thats another 15% easy, then you f-air b-air with another white pikmin, and then you d-air them them with any other pikmin, this spikes them into the ground, and assuming that you SHFFLed your **** you would be in perfect position for a smash or grab. White pikmin are great because they PERFECTLY set up for your next move. I have never been punished after using a white pikmin unless they were below 35% or I was using a f-smash or d-smash. They are great for knocking them just out of their range but perfectly in range of your next move.
Will these two balance out each other on a scale? bad priority v combo potential? They directly affect the other.

I'm not the one to answer this. Based on your opponent's skill level, you'll have to decide. I'd say that generally at the pro level in a year or two, the bad priority won't be able to stabilize your ability to combo. Good DI by your opponent will have too much influence on your ability to combo effectively.

~Examples~
Ex.1 you grab your opponent with a red at say...above 40%. you downthrow then try to combo with the white that's next in your line. Will they dodge or DI correctly away from you?, or will they realize you have your white out and use their dair or fair? Either way, you've not utilized your party to its fullest extent. you most likely won't hit them, they might even hit you, and if you had a different pikmen, the outcome might turn out differently.

Ex.2 You throw pikmen at your distant opponent(at 50%) trying to get them to come closer. you have a white next in your line when they get to you. The only thing a white is good for in this common situation would be to grab them with it. they realize you have the white that has low priority, and they SH their fair or bair. They successfully either hit you, or lowered your shield b/c you had a white.

there's many other ways I could go with this and I could give y'all some more examples, but it'd be pointless. You now understand these kind of scenarios if you didn't already.

In conclusion, I don't find whites to much use in the pikmen lineup. Their grabs aren't better than the other pikmen's grab, and the bad priority of the white pikmen directly combats their ability to combo. At low and high percentages alike, pikmen throw will be used to distract your opponent rather than to deal actual damage, and the extra white poison damage will not be factored into the equation. Whites, in my opinion, should be thrown at your opponent immediately after acquiring them, thrown off the edge of the stage, or whistled past.

have I skipped anything important?

linkx3728

Smash Rookie
white pikmin are for people who want to do alot of damage or just throw when other people are fighting, but i see red more affective then a white pikmin, only because when you charge them up they do more damage ten all other pikmin besides purple, white doesn't do as much damage when charged up but when latched its the best type

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
white pikmin are for people who want to do alot of damage or just throw when other people are fighting, but i see red more affective then a white pikmin, only because when you charge them up they do more damage ten all other pikmin besides purple, white doesn't do as much damage when charged up but when latched its the best type
Do you play online? that's what it sounds like. i'm pretty sure there's an online discussion somewhere on this site. have fun! :)

linkx3728

Smash Rookie
Do you play online? that's what it sounds like. i'm pretty sure there's an online discussion somewhere on this site. have fun! :)
i play online all the time, and i mostly win :). anyways i don't like to discuss online play just the game its self, thank you anyways, now before we get off topic.

white pikmin are sometimes good because they do alot of damage if they stay on there long enough, and actually, once after a white pikmin was disatchaced (bad spelling) it kept doing damage for about 3 secounds. Maybe a glitch but it is a poison pikmin

koloblican11763

Smash Apprentice
Generally I can see your point DanGR. But I guess it still comes down to personal taste. I mean, sure maybe in a year they will know all there is to know about Olimar, they prolly will, but that doesn't change the fact for me that White pikmin are quick draw, low lag, combo setters that I can use if I have the right scenario. I just gave the one I mentioned as an example.

Really, I do agree with you that white pikmin can be out prioritized, but they are speedier and they have good combo capabilities, I'll take the chance. And I am not going to really solely on whites, I just think that if we become too predictable with our habits then we are no better then giving our opponents free shots. Yes, I believe in general that white pikmin should latch, but I just wanted to point out that there are more options that will mind game your opponent out of his skull. I know right now if I did some of the things I said, or others have offered people would be like "WTF? No latch?" because thats what people KNOW is going to happen.

Just keep it in your arsenal.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
i guess... this game is much more about mind games than it was in melee. I'll give you that. If you think attacking with a white will confuse your opponent, then go ahead. try it. In my opinion, they'll still attack you normally, and they'll usually win the matchup: their attack v low priority white attack. I wouldn't think they'd automatically assume you'd throw it though. They might know that's too predictable. It's all about mind games though. If you can whistle your pikmen well enough to avoid every bad confrontation with the white, then go ahead, jump off the edge, you have god powers. :)

Esca

Smash Champion
Okay, this is what happens. White Pikmin are good to latch someone with, and then grab them. Or at high percentages, use your up b with your pikmin at the end for the k0.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
ummmmmmm, if your close enough to atk and your opponent is going to atk you at the same time... throwing a pikmin is bad because it gaurentees that their atk will go through

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
usually yes, but sometimes, no. if you jump away from an airborne character falling towards you and throw a pikmen, you'll much more than likely not get hit, you'll distract them at the least, maybe get in a few %.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Whites have 2 good uses in my opinion:

1. Latching. This is obvious.

2. Grabs. I think that grabbing an opponent once they are at high percentages and whacking them a few times is a good way to add on some extra damage. Since they can do 4 damage a whack, all you need is 3-4 whacks and thats a good amount of damage.

I usually try to get rid of whites fast. They are very unfortunate to have when you could use any other pikmin for a smash attack etc. As for comboing, I've found that yellow work even better than whites since they have the elemental ability, which means that the damage and knockback won't show for a frame or two after the attack hits. They also deal more damage. Bottom line, white are the worst pikmin on the lineup, which doesn't make them completely terrible, just that compared to the other 4, is just bad. They are also only good for 4%, so they don't stick around for long either.

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
Here's a tactic with white pikmin that I use sometimes that I haven't heard anyone mention. When a match begins, if Olimar pulls a white pikmin first, I'll throw it from the starting position instead of immediately picking. Then after throwing I'll get to picking. There's a little bit of risk involved, but if it works right then opponent has 20% damage before he knows he's started playing. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I recommend at least giving it a try or thinking of it as a mix-up strategy to throw people off guard (since people quickly expect what Olimar's first move is going to be.

Lirok

Smash Journeyman
honesly, just keep track of where the white pimin are, and when the time comes, side-b or...............throw it into the abyss

Top Bottom