• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whispy Wood like to battle

Do you want Whispy playable in Smash 4?

• Definitely

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The only bad thing would be that it's almost too good.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Other

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
The Most Deserving Kirby Newcomer.

Q&A
Who is Whispy Woods?
Wispy is the boss that you fight at the end of the first world in nearly every kirby game. He is a also tree, an apple tree to be precise.

Why does Wispy Deserve to get in?
With Kirby being one of Nintendo biggest franchises it only makes sense that it "Woods" get a fourth rep. Whispy has appeared in more Kirby games than Meta Knight, usually as a boss, sound's like an important character to me. He is also one of the few characters that have so far appeared in every Smash Bros game, so he will be instantly recognisable to Smash fans. Also tree's are very underrepresented in Smashbros, so you can't say he wouldn't be unique.

But if he is a tree, how "Wood" (this joke will never get old dammit) you be able to move?
In Kirby's Dreamland 3 wispy is able to walk around while chasing Kirby so not being able to walk is not a problem. (Here is the fight).

Moveset
Neutral B = Air Blast. Whispy shoots air out of his mouth at whatever is in front of him. Since this is high powered wind, the move does low damage but has high knockback. This move can be charged.

Side B = Apple throw. Whispy drops apples that roll out in front of him, they can be used to hurt enemies or have a small chance to stay on the field after it's thrown, and can then be eaten for health.

Up B = Whispy Lanches himself up into the air, and slams onto the ground, Like Dedede's up B.

I know this technicly isn't Whispy, but since when does Sakurai care about that.

Down B = Whispy saplings. Whispy spawns some smaller versions of himself. Think Zelda's new down B.

Final Smash = Apple Storm. Apples fall down from the sky, delivering high damage to everyone they hit.

But how will his A attacks work without Whispy having hands? Simple, his root's will come up and work like punches and what not.

Alt costume

There is probably more stuff to add, but I hope you now all see the potential in Whispy being playable.

I hope there isn't already a thread for him, because I did search for one.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I've been considering making this thead for months now, never got around to it.
Definitely Support.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
The weird thing is that he actually wouldn't be too big according to the canonical sizes of Kirby characters(probably around 7-8 feet tall compared to the 8 inch Kirby), and I'm sure Sakurai could come up with a way for him to move around. Unfortunately, this is never going to happen, and Whispy will be forever a stage hazard/boss character, because making him playable-sized would change the proportions between him and the other Kirby characters too drastically.

oGr33n

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3050-7615-9118
I immediately thought of a character that cannot move around a stage or jump. The only way WW can get around a stage is by rolling (digs into the ground and pops up a short distance either left or right). His attacks will be all about ranged attacks using vines, apples, wind, and tree branches to protect himself. Basically he acts as a hyper zone and will try to protect he's own body at all costs (since he is big and can't jump or walk/dash). WW will be super heavy, so it takes a significant amount of percent to knock him into the air. His up B will be using his roots as a propeller, which he can only using when knocked airborne. Once he's knocked off stage, he little ability to get back on stage, but he's basically done at this point.

domokl

Smash Lord
yeah if theres a fourth kirby rep its going to be bandana not whispy.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
It would be hard to adapt him, but would be incredibly hilarious XD
Smash would be the first fighting game that allows you to fight as a tree, lol
Not a tree-shaped monster, a real tree! only with a face.
Anyway, I think it would not work, but it's still a very interesting idea.

Last edited:

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
yeah if theres a fourth kirby rep its going to be bandana not whispy.
Probably, but Sakurai has thrown out a few curveballs this time around (Rosalina over Toad, Robin over Chrom, etc). That and Whispy has appeared in far more games than Bandana Dee. Here are the games that each has appeared in.

That and Whispy has appeared in all the Kirby games that Sakurai has directed, whereas Bandana Dee has only appeared in 1, so he could have Sakurai bias on his side.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The problem with Wispy Wood is that he usually can't move, and when he can, he's very, very, VERY slow, a lot slower than Bowser. He also fights with moves that have huge attack ranges, to balance his lack in mobility.
He's the most recurring boss in the games and probably he even appeared more than Dedede, but I still have problems seeing him as playable... I like the idea, he should definitely be in, theorically, but the problem is in his nature of static character.
In Kirby Triple Deluxe he's seen jumping and flying around (to be precise, that's not a Wispy Wood, it's a flower transformed into a tree by Taranza, in fact it's called Flowery Wood), but it's due to the magical powers of Taranza. The same is applied to Kirby's Dreamland 3, he's possessed by Dark Matter in that game, he also changes his face into a creepy version of it. I don't know; on a side I'd like him, on the other side I simply can't see him balanced with the others. Moving stages are the biggest problem for him. But definitely, having a tree in the roster would be one of the craziest things in the world! They would gain all my respect if they manage to make Wispy playable! (without changing him too much from his classic version)

Last edited:

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The problem with Wispy Wood is that he usually can't move, and when he can, he's very, very, VERY slow, a lot slower than Bowser. He also fights with moves that have huge attack ranges, to balance his lack in mobility.
He's the most recurring boss in the games and probably he even appeared more than Dedede, but I still have problems seeing him as playable... I like the idea, he should definitely be in, theorically, but the problem is in his nature of static character.
In Kirby Triple Deluxe he's seen jumping and flying around (to be precise, that's not a Wispy Wood, it's a flower transformed into a tree by Taranza, in fact it's called Flowery Wood), but it's due to the magical powers of Taranza. The same is applied to Kirby's Dreamland 3, he's possessed by Dark Matter in that game, he also changes his face into a creepy version of it. I don't know; on a side I'd like him, on the other side I simply can't see him balanced with the others. Moving stages are the biggest problem for him. But definitely, having a tree in the roster would be one of the craziest things in the world! They would gain all my respect if they manage to make Wispy playable!
Oh, don't get me wrong. I know that he doesn't lend himself well to being a Smash Character, and I strongly doubt it will ever happen, but if he ever was it would be amazing to see how they could implement him into the games. That and I have always had a soft spot for Whispy, but I don't know why.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The same for me, Wispy is a funny boss!
BTW, I support this but I'm aware that his chances are extremely low.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see other people want him playable as well. He has been in so many Kirby games he has a large variety of moves to choose from. We have already have seen him walk. And he could use branches or roots to grapple the same way Ivysaur did. I know people want Bandana Dee but Whispy does deserve it more, although it would be great to have both of them.

For his final smash I picture Whispy growing very large and shaking apples all over the place. They would damage players as they fall, once they land they could be eaten to recover damage. But if the apples are left on the stage to long(about 10-15 seconds) they would grow into Whispy Woods Jr.'s from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. The Whispy Woods Jr.'s would remain on the screen as NPC's until they are destroyed by other players or items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom