• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which veteran would you like to see back? (Strawpoll)

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Smash 4 is the first to have DLC of any kind so its going to be a test bed in terms of character inclusions. It's definitely not a service where you get X characters for base with regular DLC characters and whatever interval. Right now there are 54 tiles in the Wii U version including Random and Mii fighters. Right now we know there are currently 2 hidden mario's in the code and there is space for 2 more characters. The original tiles pre Roy/Ryu/Lucas had a lot of empty space hence why the current set up cut a lot of the side space from each tile.

Before Ryu/Roy/Lucas there was just 1 place in the CSS. But they changed it. Why they can't change it now? If really there isn't space, they could just create a window for DLC, like for the Mii fighter. Besides, on the 3DS there isn't anymore space.

Sakurai has also said that they aren't going to be making too many more characters and only being a year out from the NX reveal and possibly another year before its release support for Smash is going to end sooner rather then later and be more limited than inclusive. Of course he can't be seen bagging out his characters regardless of how trivial they are. A better anology would be that they are topping on a cake. The cake itself is what people like, the topping doesn't make or break the cake and can be changed quite easily.

I haven't made that paragon, Sakurai did, and he surely knows better than you and me what it means to create characters.

Character slots should be for archetype diversity, and in 95% of the time that is why they are. Different playstyles. No-one complains about Alph or Wendy because those are done right, extra's without the limits. Characters are limited and why Dark Pit and Doctor Mario aren't skins is mind boggling.

Nobody complains because nobody ever trough that they would even be considered. Besides, their place as alts makes sense (Alph uses Pikmin, Wendy makes sense to use the Bowser Army's Clown Car) but for Dr. Mario doesn't make sense to trow fireballs and have the FLUDD, for Lucina to be as big as Marth and Dark Pit to use the Three Secret Treasure.

Statistically wolf is the least clone character in the entire series. By that logic Wario should be cut because Mario has his colours, Waluigi should never happen because Mario has his colours. Roy should have not come back because Marth has his colours. It's a throwback not a reason to not include characters.

This is exactly what I wrote. But again it looks like you don't really read what I wrote.

Character wise, Doctor Mario is still Mario but with a different Job. However his smash representation makes little effort to show that. If they had even bothered to put in a tiny amount of effort to differentiate the 2 like Falcon/Ganon it would be tolerable at best. Doctor Mario is unique enough to be a fighter in his own right but not enough to give him his own playstyle that shows off his medical/doctorness? Pills is a basic visual throwback to him being a Doctor but nothing else about him makes the Connection to the Doctor part of Doctor Mario. It's lazy padding.

Dr. Mario don't need a revamped moveset. His fans wanted it and they have got it. Veteran have to keep their moveset, with some little changes over the times, but still the core must be the same. Of course some new moves would be always better (possibly in next games), but he is still different enought for being a separate character from Mario. And what a medic moveset would be, I'm really curious to hear it from you.

We have customs and skins for a reason. If Sakurai wants to have an online mode where you cant use customs thats his choice to balance it that way. Although thats more of a justification to have online modes where customs can be used not to create lazy characters for pandering purposes.

Online custom modes would be cool, and I would finally use Palutena online.

Lucina won't return in Smash 5. At least Lucina and Marth have a justification for being separate. Doctor Mario *IS* Mario. Press X on Pit 3 times and there is your Dark Pit. Press Y on Dark Pit twice and there is your Pit. Throwbacks are one thing, having both characters have the colour palette of the other character is another. Dark Pit is in because Sakurai bias. If Link can get a Fierce Diety skin, Pit can just have a dark pit skin. At least Fierce Deity would be unique.

Set these words, Lucina will return in Smash 5. Maybe decloned, but she will be back.
That is not Dark Pit, and the other isn't Pit. They aren't even similar. It's like to say that the withe/black Mario skin is Dr. Mario.

That's a huge unjustified stretch to try to play that one and you know it.

It's your logic with Dr. Mario, bro.

We don't know Roy was in development for the whole 8 months after Wii U smash. They could have easily kept Doctor mario and friends back, no-one would have cared and then they could have come back as actual characters which could keep the DLC train all the way going till Smash 5. They won't make that many non-veteran character DLC because that would ruin a lot of new inclusions for Smash 5. Doctor Mario never made it to the final Brawl roster and no-body cared. If one of the main reasons Doctor Mario should come back because he was in the game once and nothing about the character itself thats a poor reason. It is padding, not I think its padding.

Of course Roy was in development since then. He already have sound files added in April, wich means that at the time he was almost complete as Lucas. For being at that point at least 4 mounts are needed, so if not right after Smash Wii U launch, they've started working on DLC since January.
That would have been strange, but cool. Look, I' ve never said I was against decloning them.

Paper Mario is a bigger franchise than Doctor Mario, he would be a million times better then Doctor Mario. Little mac is a good character for new players to try and has some potential in higher play, since he simplifies the smash mechanics (and smash mechanics are already very simple) and compensates for power and super armour. That and he is a boxer which plays differently and is the first time a fighter character from another fighting game has appeared in smash. Smash isn't cannon so having moves that arent real is going to happen (a lot of smash characters dont have moves that exist so dunno why you are trying that one).

Lol nope. Dr. Mario WAY bigger than Paper. Since the NES Dr. Mario almost got a game on every consoles, and it's considered the father of puzzle games alongside Tetris.
What you say about Lil can be said for everyone. Lucina is a perfect starts for beginners and have potential for pro, Dr. Mario is a good evolution of Mario that can turn out to be way more deadly than the latter, ect ect.
Plus are you saying that "Just being a veteran is a weak reason to come back" for Dr. Mario while "Being the 1st fighting game character to join smash" is a good point for Lil? LOGIC!!1!1! "Let's put in Goku, he would be the 1st anime character!", "let's put Master Chief, he would be the first character-never-been-on-Nintendo to join!".
I'm not saying that his moves doesn't exist, but they aren't reppresentative of Punch-Out. They coul have added the Star Punch, but they haven't. This is what I hate of his inclusion.

Snake most likely got cut due to License/Konami v Kojima reasons and nothing else. He had a unique playstyle for sure and it was a shame he got cut.

Yeah, a real shame. He deserves to return more than mostly of the other 3rd party characters proposed by fans.

Clones are a result of a lack of detailed features and options. Not because they are justified in their own right. If we had custom normal moves and not just custom specials a lot of clones would no longe be needed but because Smash hasn't reached that point yet clones are a thing. The fact we are moving towards skins and custom moves is a move towards customisation and that clones won't be needed in future if we can tweak existing characters to be them while that allows more character archetypes ina game with limited slots.
Of course with that level of customisation those kind clones shouldn't exist, but let's be honest: it will never be possible. And besides we would also find useless semi-clones like Wolf, Lucas etc. if we are able to re-create their normal moves.

Lil Mac adds a lot compared to Falcon, Falcon is 60% aerials while Mac is 90% patience
Of course, but look around you. There are TONS of people who had mained Falcon in past games and now main Mac (or have him as a secondary). This is because their playstyle is similar.
And with this reasoning, Lucina adds a lot compared to Marth. Marth is 100% spacing and calculating where your opponent is going while Lucina is 60% run into the opponent and attack.
Dr. Mario adds a lot compared to Mario. Mario is all around character, with no pros or weak point, while Dr. Mario is way stronger and slower, you must calculate every second. He also have a terrible recovery and not so good aerial besides the down, so you mostly have to stay on the ground and on the center of the stage.

It says enough about how serious he is and how justified what he saying is. "Mac shouldnt be in because he punches people close range and thats too similar to Falcon".

Borderline trolling is what it is.
I'm not the troll here. You literally said to cut some characters to make space for DLC in the CSS, and you don't even read my posts:
Because they have difference from the originals. Just making them alt with theirs specials as custom isn't right. Besides special, Dr. Mario changes in hitboxes, stats, have a different Down-Air, and he lacks a meteor Smash and the fire property. Try to recreate these with the customization offred. It's impossible. Besides the fact that customs aren't allowed in several modes and in online in general, reduce Dr. Mario to an alt would be a slap in the face to his melee fans. Just think what would happen in the community if they reduced Roy or Ganondorf to alts during Brawl.
People hate Dr. Mario now because people is stupid. They think he stolen somebody's place, while it isn't true. Besides that he was requested, not as other characters, but he had a good base.
You can see always more people not caring about almost any Smash 4 newcomer (besides Mega Man) rather the ones who loves that character, so it isn't a point. For example, I don't care of :4bowserjr::4littlemac::4robinm::4shulk: and :4megaman:, but not for this I would NEVER say that they were wast of time or shouldn't be characters in smash or be cut for DLC/Smash 5, and so should people do with other characters, like the always hated :4jigglypuff::4wiifit::4rob::4pacman::4mii::4duckhunt:.
See?

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Of course with that level of customisation those kind clones shouldn't exist, but let's be honest: it will never be possible. And besides we would also find useless semi-clones like Wolf, Lucas etc. if we are able to re-create their normal moves.
Semi-clones (wolf not actually being one (http://www.ssbwiki.com/User:Toomai/Cloneosity) and Lucas having a fanbase unlike Doctor Mario provide a unique playstyle which True clones do not. True clones with 2 degrees of seperation can easily be customs. Semi-clones and characters you've stated that are which in reality aren't would have a harder time hence why Doctor Mario would be easy to do it to.

I'm not the troll here. You literally said to cut some characters to make space for DLC in the CSS, and you don't even read my posts:
They'd still be in the game.

Because they arent a waste of time because they actually provide something to the game so you could never make the statement to that effect.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Semi-clones (wolf not actually being one (http://www.ssbwiki.com/User:Toomai/Cloneosity) and Lucas having a fanbase unlike Doctor Mario provide a unique playstyle which True clones do not. True clones with 2 degrees of seperation can easily be customs. Semi-clones and characters you've stated that are which in reality aren't would have a harder time hence why Doctor Mario would be easy to do it to.

No. Wolf and Lucas had this huge fanbase just because they were cut. How many pages had got the Wolf thread before he was deconfimed? Like 7? Yeah, that is a fanbase. And if they will not brought him back, I'm sure people would miss him a lot less before Smash 5. Even Dr. Mario was requested as Mewtwo and Roy to return after Brawl relase.
If you are able do create also normal attack, their whole existence is useless. This is why that level of customization is impossible.

They'd still be in the game.

As alts, cutting their differences which a lot of people prefer over the original (just go on the Lucina thread, there are tons of people who prefer her lack of tipper over Marth's). They would not be in the game anymore.

Because they arent a waste of time because they actually provide something to the game so you could never make the statement to that effect.

That wasn't my point. You said that I said "Little Mac shouldn't be in", while I've wrote BEFORE that I'm not of that line of thinking, proving once again that you don't read my post and just write whatever you want.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
No. Wolf and Lucas had this huge fanbase just because they were cut
Lucas was originally planned to replace Ness back in Melee and Star Fox is well known outside Japan so no, thats not why they have a fanbase. Pre-release is a different ballgame they always throw wildcards at us. Its not like Doctor Mario had a clamoring either.

As alts, cutting their differences which a lot of people prefer over the original (just go on the Lucina thread, there are tons of people who prefer her lack of tipper over Marth's). They would not be in the game anymore.
Preference and whats good/optimal are separate things. Lucina is easier to play, Marth is better but of course Marth isn't what he used to be either.

That wasn't my point. You said that I said "Little Mac shouldn't be in", while I've wrote BEFORE that I'm not of that line of thinking, proving once again that you don't read my post and just write whatever you want.
You don't exactly provide much confidence in his existence which is just as bad, openly admit it when you're ready. Doctor Mario punches and we already have characters that punch.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Lucas was originally planned to replace Ness back in Melee and Star Fox is well known outside Japan so no, thats not why they have a fanbase. Pre-release is a different ballgame they always throw wildcards at us. Its not like Doctor Mario had a clamoring either.

How could you think that the inclusion of Lucas in Melee could have anything to do with his fanbase? His game was barely announced as Earthbound 64, with no actual photos of him. What are you trying to say? Just because a series is popular doesn't mean the characters from that series are all supported for Smash. Look at Toad or Bowser Jr. before he was revealed. Lucas and Wolf have their Smash fanbase mostly because they were cut. Pre-relase is where you see the real support of characters. Indeed, the top were Mewtwo, King K. Rool and Rildley. Not Wolf. And Dr. Mario had after Brawl an huge support, just like Wolf has now. If he isn't brought back now, for Smash 5 pre-relase he will not be that much more supported that Dr. Mario before Smash 4.

Preference and whats good/optimal are separate things. Lucina is easier to play, Marth is better but of course Marth isn't what he used to be either.

So, with this reasoning, everybody should drop their main because they are chosen by preference and bot because they are good? Let's main everybody Diddy, because he is the best and optimal one! F*** all the preferences for other characters! Lol nope. People who prefer Lucina over Marth is because they are better at using her instead of him. It's not that just because a characteris arguably better than another everyone is able to use that effectively, and vice versa (just look at what M2K have done with Mewtwo in tournaments, and the Pokemon is low tier). And YOU are saying that we who mains clones should drop them? You have some problems, buddy.

You don't exactly provide much confidence in his existence which is just as bad, openly admit it when you're ready. Doctor Mario punches and we already have characters that punch.

You don't provide any confidence at all about clones, which is just as bad. They are characters just the others, that in different hands can do different things than the originals.
What are trying to say with the last phrase? Not only you have problems at reading, but also at writing.

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
How could you think that the inclusion of Lucas in Melee could have anything to do with his fanbase? His game was barely announced as Earthbound 64, with no actual photos of him. What are you trying to say? Just because a series is popular doesn't mean the characters from that series are all supported for Smash. Look at Toad or Bowser Jr. before he was revealed. Lucas and Wolf have theirSmash fanbase mostly because they were cut. Pre-relase is where you see the real support of characters. Indeed, the top were Mewtwo, King K. Rool and Rildley. Not Wolf. And Dr. Mario had after Brawl an huge support, just like Wolf has now. If he isn't brought back now, for Smash 5 pre-relase he will not be that much more supported that Dr. Mario before Smash 4.
Games with potential and new stuff also played a factor into Lucas getting in but the fact that he was going to replace ness at one point says something. Having series popularity counts for at least something, which Doctor Mario's series wouldn't know about. As we know popularity isnt the only factor, i'm sure if he could find a way to make toad work Sakurai would do it. Wolf and Star Fox were popular well before Smash. Doctor Mario had no support during and after Brawl.

So, with this reasoning, everybody should drop their main because they are chosen by preference and bot because they are good? Let's main everybody Diddy, because he is the best and optimal one! F*** all the preferences for other characters! Lol nope. People who prefer Lucina over Marth is because they are better at using her instead of him. It's not that just because a characteris arguably better than another everyone is able to use that effectively, and vice versa (just look at what M2K have done with Mewtwo in tournaments, and the Pokemon is low tier). And YOU are saying that we who mains clones should drop them? You have some problems, buddy.
"Good" spread out over the entire roster is harder to do because the characters are less standardised. Marth and Lucina have each other as the standard and when referenced with what you typically find to be redeeming factors Marth comes out on top when those two are compared. Mewtwo isn't a clone, he's the original compared to Lucario. I dont know what the mewtwo part was on about when its out of context of what I said and I have problems? Please.

You don't provide any confidence at all about clones, which is just as bad. They are characters just the others, that in different hands can do different things than the originals.
What are trying to say with the last phrase? Not only you have problems at reading, but also at writing.
They started out as skins, their entire existance is shaky at best. Just saying I have problems doesn't help you in anyway whatsoever. Its petty.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Games with potential and new stuff also played a factor into Lucas getting in but the fact that he was going to replace ness at one point says something. Having series popularity counts for at least something, which Doctor Mario's series wouldn't know about. As we know popularity isnt the only factor, i'm sure if he could find a way to make toad work Sakurai would do it. Wolf and Star Fox were popular well before Smash. Doctor Mario had no support during and after Brawl.

"Good" spread out over the entire roster is harder to do because the characters are less standardised. Marth and Lucina have each other as the standard and when referenced with what you typically find to be redeeming factors Marth comes out on top when those two are compared. Mewtwo isn't a clone, he's the original compared to Lucario. I dont know what the mewtwo part was on about when its out of context of what I said and I have problems? Please.

They started out as skins, their entire existance is shaky at best. Just saying I have problems doesn't help you in anyway whatsoever. Its petty.
Personally, I'm tired. You don't read what I write (or you don't get it) and this makes this whole story meaningless. Think whatever you like, I'm quitting this whole discussion. I should have knew from the beginning that trying to arguing with somebody who thinks cutting characters for DLC is a good, viable option and that clones shouldn't exist was a dumb idea.
Have a good one.

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Personally, I'm tired. You don't read what I write (or you don't get it) and this makes this whole story meaningless. Think whatever you like, I'm quitting this whole discussion. I should have knew from the beginning that trying to arguing with somebody who thinks cutting characters for DLC is a good, viable option and that clones shouldn't exist was a dumb idea.
Have a good one.
True clones no, Semi's are fine. Characters that originally never intended to have a spot and be skins are justifiably questionable at best so if they went wouldn't be a big loss.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Wolf, then Ice Climbers, then Snake, then Ivysaur, then Squirtle and NEVER Pichu/Young Link.

(masked link is better)

Kangaexe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
onlykanga
3DS FC
2363-5649-9211
Wolf, then Ice Climbers, then Snake, then Ivysaur, then Squirtle and NEVER Pichu/Young Link.

(masked link is better)
Imagine if Young Link was just the Hyrule Warriors version with all the cool masks and magic meter and Ocarina and ****!!

Top Bottom