• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which stage do You counterpick as IC´s

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Which CP do you use?
well I kinda like the effect Onett has against nana KOíng gets harder, throw on car with more i kinda like it, which stage do you counterpick and why..

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Just keep taking final destination if you get the chance really... I love the stage it maximizes my IC's so well. Hope other people feel the same

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Personally, I like FD and Corneria(no i lied i think)for ICs.

However, I secondary ICs, and I only use them if i'm getting a crapload of grabs.

__

Off the top of my head, I would imagine that Brinstar might be a good stage since the acid could save Nana.

That's just my opinion though.

___edit___
after thinkin about it, i think i lied about corneria.

Cause I'd imagine Nana would get gimped so hard by arwing/wolfen fire.
i just

Buddha

Smash Apprentice
if we're going by MLG rules... your question is a little vague because you must take into consideration what characters your opponent plays, or is playing against you, or might switch to to counterpick your ICz (i.e. Peach, Marth, etc.)

but in general...
FD - enables IC's great ground game, no platforms for opponents to avoid you or projectile spam, wide ceilings, chaingrab friendly, combo friendly, etc. overall IC's best stage.

other worthy mentions...
Dreamland
Poke stadium
FoD
Battlefield

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
I like Onett too, which is something I've been forgetting to try (cp'ing at recent tournies) but the most part, FD all the way for every char except Samus. It's much better for you than Falco, whoever mentioned that, because of the comboability you get. One grab on either Fox/Falco on FD should come close to ending in a kill, if not getting one. Dreamland is notable as well, as Buddha said, and FoD's good against Falcon, but that's more generic, as thats stage's bad for him on pretty much all matchups. I'd like you to explain how you think Battlefield's good though. But still IMO, except for Samus, FD is far better for just about everything...

pockyD

Smash Legend
Off the top of my head, I would imagine that Brinstar might be a good stage since the acid could save Nana.

problem is nana doesn't get her 2nd jump back when hitting the acid (lol) so she will still have troubles getting back up, while the uneven terrain is bad for ICs

Buddha

Smash Apprentice
I like Onett too, which is something I've been forgetting to try (cp'ing at recent tournies) but the most part, FD all the way for every char except Samus. It's much better for you than Falco, whoever mentioned that, because of the comboability you get. One grab on either Fox/Falco on FD should come close to ending in a kill, if not getting one. Dreamland is notable as well, as Buddha said, and FoD's good against Falcon, but that's more generic, as thats stage's bad for him on pretty much all matchups. I'd like you to explain how you think Battlefield's good though. But still IMO, except for Samus, FD is far better for just about everything...
As you know, Battlefield's biggest gimp is it's recovery options as there is no wall to "ride" up on. i mentioned Battlefield because the IC recovery usually doesnt involve riding up a wall to the ledge--therefore that disadvantage doesnt apply to them. its almost just like fighting in a bigger yoshi's story. plus the fact it has higher platforms for less platform rap4g3 and they are also high enough to not disrupt a dthrow>dsmash cg, and space animals do notoriously bad on there, so thats always a plus. its not as much of an advantage to ICz as it is a much less disadvantage compared to other char.

Jack Lavender

Smash Cadet
Since we're talking about stages, which stage would most of you ban?

I haven't gone to many tournements, so whenever i'm asked to pick a ban, i blank out.

Pokefloats? Brinstar? Anything else i'm not thinking of? I know this also depends on who you're fighting, but in general, what stage(s) give you guys the most trouble?

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
No need to ban Yoshi's unless it's against Marth, I guess. And I guess your theory does provide some validity, Buddha. Vs space animals it might not be as bad for you as it is them, but they're double squall recovery does benefit from have a wall. Either way, I'd still rather go FD against both....

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I must not be as serious as you guys are because my friends and I usually pick FD and if not, I just pick something completely random that's fun. FD and dreamland 64 are me and my friend's training stages though.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
fun fact: any character who can outspeed the ice climbers horizontally on final destination has a chance of winning. these include: fox, falcon, and luigi. jigglypuff and samus are also hard because of their aerial dominance. FD is a great IC stage, but not perfect.

good choices: FD, pokemon, dreamland
lots of ground room, not so much gayness (especially by marth)

decent: battlefield, yoshi story, rainbow cruise, FoD, jungle japes ^_^
don't worry about these if your opponent uses them as a counter pick. it depends on their character, really. ic's do fine here, don't worry about banning them. remember always ban yoshi story against marth LOLOL

suck: mute city, poke floats
your wd gets *****. no wd = no ice climbers.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
At UCLA I asked Scamp (a Peach player) to pick all the worst stages he could think of for the matchup. We went to Mute City, Poke Floats, Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar. He won every game.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i don't think that anyone addressed this yet, but i don't find onett a good stage for the climbers because

1) the cars wreck extended grab combos and will knock nana away randomly
2) when grab->usmash isn't an option (no nana, desynced, etc), you're going to have a hell of a time finishing an opponent who can tech well

also, you have to be very proficient at platform dashing to move around well on that stage as ICs

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
a forewarning for ice climbers players counter picking pokemon stadium: the neutral part of the stage is GREAT for the ice climbers... but watch out for the slopes on the stage transformations.

fire: marth gains a huge advantage here. disjointed hitboxes let him totally abuse the tree and platform on the right. wall kickers and campers also use the tree a lot.

rock: do not follow rock campers to the left or mid. ESPECIALLY peach. just play it safe in mid and right.

water: fast characters like to use the windmill and slops to hinder the ice climbers' movement. falcon players are among the most dangerous on moving stages (refer to ss/isai and their absolutely amazing performances on poke floats and rainbow cruise) so watch out for falcons using the windmill.

grass: not too bad. fox might be difficult here. the weird slops on the ground might mess up WD's.

fall in love with the neutral pokemon stadium. it's amazing for the ic's, maybe even better than final destination. but KNOW how to play on the rest of the variations.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Well, at SR2 I ended up against a falcon user, lost the first match and CP Onett, it took some time but camping in themiddle rigt/left next to the bouildings works great and I ended up with 2 stocking him, but lost with 2-1 ;_;, just learn to tech...
EDIT: CP that stage in teams and was nearly beaten, but I managed to survive to 235% and won the match^^

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Wow what tourney allowed Onett? That stage is too fun though. ^_^

edit: Since I'm posting I may as well give some meaningful input. Against Captain Falcon, Stadium and FD aren't as good as you may think, but Battlefield and especially Yoshi's Story hinder his movements, especially his aerials, and give one hell of an advantage to the ICs.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Wow what tourney allowed Onett? That stage is too fun though. ^_^

edit: Since I'm posting I may as well give some meaningful input. Against Captain Falcon, Stadium and FD aren't as good as you may think, but Battlefield and especially Yoshi's Story hinder his movements, especially his aerials, and give one hell of an advantage to the ICs.
battlefield maybe, but yoshi story definitely no. if you've seen silentspectre and lots of other technical norcal players use this stage, they've mastered most of the wallkicking, wavelanding, and ledge techniques which actually INCREASE their speed of aerials.

IMO, platforms merely hinder his horizontal dominance. but they decrease your chance of grabbing and allow him to use platform cancels and platform dropped uairs/knees... it's still extremely dangerous to play falcon no matter what stage he's on.

FD isn't "as good as you may think" but it's still IC's best stage for the matchup, as long as you capitalize on every grab and attempt 0 to death combos or cg's.

Flikkflakk

Smash Rookie
EDIT: CP that stage in teams and was nearly beaten, but I managed to survive to 235% and won the match^^
Bah, camping in the left corner ftl. Omg that platform and wall was annoying in the end, where you teched nearly all my attacks, and I was unable to land any SHFFL'ed aerials because the platform canceled all of them =/ Nice counterpick though.

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
I like going Yoshi's Story if I know they don't play Marth or Fox, because ICs smashes **** on Yoshi's Story. Other than that it depends what the other player has, I hate going against any character with projectiles on FD its to wide open, I'd rather do Battlefield, YS, or FoD. So basically it is all circumstantial and dependent on who you are playing against. Suck levels for ICs though are anything with wierd terrain like Pokemon Stadium, PokeFloats, Rainbow Cruize, Brinstar, ect.

And I though Onett wasn't a legal counter pick stage according to MLG Rules?

DynamicDuo

Smash Lord
yea, i don't think onett is on. but anyway FD ftw!!! my second pick would be PStadium or Dreamland i can't decide seeing how good i do on both, however im going to start picking brinstar, somebody made a good point about using the acid to save sissy (Nana for those of u who don't know).

Smasher89

Smash Lord
why is onett banned in the MLG rules, sure almost everybode hates the stage, but that´s no reason, and if the car makes it banned, what about mute city, since the cars may go over the whole stage sometimes and there is a wierd CC glitch (i guess it´s with CC) where at least doctor mario get stucked in the cars and gett 270%+ which I saw at SR2 i norway ( someone even captured it, but i haven´t seen it on the net)

Top Bottom