• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Smash game has the best roster in your opinion?

• Total voters

the8thark

Smash Lord

SSB 64?
SSB Melee?
SSB Brawl?
SSB 4?

As much as it feels weird for me to say this, I think so far Brawl has the best roster for me. Sure the Melee cuts hurt like a kick to the crotch, I do think Brawl has something for everyone and even the clones there felt like they had a purpose.

Which roster was the best overall in your opinion?

Anthuhny

Smash Cadet
Different people like different characters (different strokes for different folks) but personally I'm a Mewtwo kinda guy, so melee it is for me.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Most people say Brawl, but I think Melee tops it.

You had my undisputed top main Mewtwo, as well as Roy (one of the more fun 'clones'), not to mention the first appearances of Zelda/Sheik, G&W, Ganondorf, and more.

Brawl's was great mainly due to Wolf, Wario, Snake, and Sonic, but I feel like people thought it was better solely due to its bigger size.

PM, on the other hand...

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Hard to say, SSB4 is the biggest but had so many cuts. But every Smash Bros (sans 64) game has characters that the others don't have.

Might go with SSB4 due to Miis, Mega Man, Duck Hunt, etc. It helps that the characters are focused on having very creativity moves. A lot of the newcomers are very interesting! Hopefully character DLC will become a thing and bring back some of the cuts!

Last edited:

Hitzel

Smash Ace
PM has more viable characters and more fulfilling gameplay with more characters, so I'll go with PM.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I didn't put PM as an option as it's fan made and not Sakurai made. And this topic is about which Sakurai made roster you think is the best.

The latest roster hands down. Almost 50 fighters all with customization. You can join the battle with your Mii. Three of the most popular third party characters ever can show up on the same screen. Many of the newcomers provide all-new ways to play and a lot of thought has been put into them. Our "bonus fighters" are great too.

We may have lost Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Pokémon Trainer, and Snake, but this roster totally makes up for it.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I'm gonna be the odd one out and say SSB4 had my least favorite by far.

Both my top mains got cut with no suitable replacement, they brought back a lot of my least-faves, and all of the newcomers aside from Lucina and Robin do not interest me whatsoever. :ohwell:

Tails1000

Smash Cadet
It depends, if we're talking about the entire roster as a whole I have to chose Smash 4. It has the most characters and the most variety for me.
But if we're talking strictly newcomers, Brawl is my favorite by far :)

Deeprest1

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna say Brawl.
I think we can all agree that 64 has the worst roster, since all the characters have returned in every game since.
Melee had Mewtwo, which does boost the games roster for me, but overall i'd say brawls bigger roster made it slightly better.
Brawl got rid of Mewtwo, but gave me some replacements (such as wolf and wario) who as much as i like Mewtwo, it boosts the roster over melees.
With smash 4s roster i lost one of my mains (wolf) and didn't give me a satisfactory replacement. I like villains and the only villain we got was Bowser jr., whom i consider to be pretty lame.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Smash 4, but it's still FAR from good. I'd give it a 6 out of 10. Main criticism for me is unbalance and lobsidedness.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Ehhhh....Hard choice, but I'll go with Smash 4.
While Brawl's roster is the more "balanced" one, Smash 4 gives new light to completely new franchises, which is always very nice. The roster itself is very large with a total of 49, along with some extra alts that allowed for completely new characters(though not by much) The only thing dragging it down woud be some Mario and Kid Icarus overepresentation, but it wasn't that big a problem for me.
I'd say Smash4>Brawl>Melee>64, in a straight order.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
It's the biggest and every character for the most part looks extremely fun to play with. :)

The original had a great roster and Melee, in my opinion had the worst (Attack of the Clones).
Brawl, of course, all I have to say is them Newcomers <3

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
While it's a bum that Mewtwo, Wolf and Lucas have gotten the ax along the series, Smash 4 still manages to get almost every character back and that is a remarkable feat.

The biggest and most varied roster so far. My vote goes to Smash 4.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I didn't vote Smash 4, as that would be a cheat. Plus I rank rosters by new comers, and although Smash 4's is good, one thing stops it from being my favorite....
:4darkpit:

AAANYWAYS I thought it was a toss up for 64 and Brawl, as both had heavy hitters. In the end I choose Brawl, because I did.

Farorae

Smash Ace
IMO it's pretty hard to beat Smash 4 since it has most of the characters from the previous entries and then some. Although I suppose if you like small rosters that it wouldn't be your cup of tea or if you're extremely attached to a cut character.

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
Smash4 annihilates every other iteration when it comes to the roster. Yea they made a lot of cuts but we got f*ckin Megaman & Pacman & all the other amazing newcomers. This shouldn't even be debatable tbh.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
As compared against each other or just what they brought? Brawl certainly brought the most heavy hitters, but SSB4 is basically just an expansion on it.

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
SSB4 but ONLY because I find the wildcard additions like Pac Man and Duck Hunt Dog the most entertaining. Although, I do miss Snake.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I'm gonna be the odd one out and say SSB4 had my least favorite by far.

Both my top mains got cut with no suitable replacement, they brought back a lot of my least-faves, and all of the newcomers aside from Lucina and Robin do not interest me whatsoever. :ohwell:
Mewtwo didn't get cut.

This thread is the funniest thing I've ever read. It's the loud minority being contrary for poorly defined reasons, while the majority vote Smash 4. A mirror of the story of competitive smash in some ways.

Last edited:

3DSplayer

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArcanineTrainer
I like Smash 4's roster the best not just because of newcomers like Pac-man, but mainly because of the miis.
Then you can make a variety of videogame characters as miis. Although I wish the miis had a magician class.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Mewtwo didn't get cut.

This thread is the funniest thing I've ever read. It's the loud minority being contrary for poorly defined reasons, while the majority vote Smash 4. A mirror of the story of competitive smash in some ways.
I guess I worded it wrong, then. You know what I meant.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Jeez. Smash 4 is fun and all, but I bet you'd feel the way I do if you lost both of your top mains and didn't care for the newcomers.

Y'all act like we aren't allowed to like the other games.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Jeez. Smash 4 is fun and all, but I bet you'd feel the way I do if you lost both of your top mains and didn't care for the newcomers.

Y'all act like we aren't allowed to like the other games.
Melee Main: Roy
Brawl Main: Snake

Get over it. Mewtwo wasn't cut from Smash 4, Mewtwo was cut was Brawl.

You can like other games but Smash 4 has a much better roster. More unique characters, more diversity of types and playstyles.

Another way of looking at it:

Smash 64: 8.(3)%
Melee: 20% clones
Brawl: 0% clones
Smash 4: 5.8% clones (→0% when customisation is considered)

True clones that is. Melee was fast paced, had favourable bugs, and was the childhood of many on here, but Brawl and Smash 4 have much better rosters. There may be some debate between Smash 4 and Brawl, mainly due to a few high profile cuts, but Smash 4 has more depth and options, but bringing Melee into the discussion is just plain bizarre.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
In general I like the SSB4 roster but I'm voting based on newcomers and cuts exclusively here.

Without a doubt, Brawl. Best newcomers of any SSB IMO. Easily. The cuts sucked but not as badly as 4's. 64 had the standards. Melee had an obvious extension for the most part. Brawl brought in the 3rd parties and Pokemon Trainer and Lucas and Olimar and ROB... Good stuff. 4 is alright. It took until Robin for me to have a newcomer to be excited for. I later found out I liked Greninja but the reveal was overshadowed by my loathing of Solozard.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Melee Main: Roy
Brawl Main: Snake

Get over it. Mewtwo wasn't cut from Smash 4, Mewtwo was cut was Brawl.

You can like other games but Smash 4 has a much better roster. More unique characters, more diversity of types and playstyles.

Another way of looking at it:

Smash 64: 8.(3)%
Melee: 20% clones
Brawl: 0% clones
Smash 4: 5.8% clones (→0% when customisation is considered)

True clones that is. Melee was fast paced, had favourable bugs, and was the childhood of many on here, but Brawl and Smash 4 have much better rosters. There may be some debate between Smash 4 and Brawl, mainly due to a few high profile cuts, but Smash 4 has more depth and options, but bringing Melee into the discussion is just plain bizarre.
It depends on whether you're looking at it objectively or subjectively. OP didn't specify.

The size and diversity of the roster is irrelevant to me if I simply don't care for the newcomers and feel indifferent toward a good chunk of the vets. As I've stated on a few other posts, I don't care how well a character plays if I'm simply not a fan of them. Of course, M2 and Wolf just so happen to cater well to my playstyles, but still.

Objectively, yes Smash 4 has the best roster simply due to its size and level of diversity. Custom moves I'm not sure about since they aren't usable online and AFAIK they aren't tourney-legal. Notice how I never say that Smash 4's roster is "the worst" specifically because that'd be incorrect. I always cite it as "my least favorite" or "The worst IMO".

But if you choose your mains the way I do, Smash 4 may or may not please you. If you aren't fond of an overabundance of hero characters, it might not be your thing. Diversity is good, but I still don't think bigger is always better in terms of sheer numbers. Hell, the characters I do miss give me a valid reason to turn on Melee, Brawl, or PM if I get bored.

Last edited:

Enigma14

Smash Champion
I'd give it to Brawl simply because Lucas(my main)

I'd not give it to Brawl for adding safe additions like Diddy and Meta Knight.

But Sm4sh deserves it for sheer surprise and WTF levels of hype and each reveal made me want the game more than Brawl.

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
Smash 4 is the best, despite my 2 mains (wolf & snake) being cut from brawl. I totally understand why Snake got cut though. I loved him but he didn't fit very well...

And Dr. Mario, one my melee returns, and Megaman and Pac-man totally fit in much better than snake IMO.

I would rather have had wolf than falco though...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm not too optimistic about the fate of this thread...

As for me, it's Brawl. Smash 4 got a bit too many cuts, so it's 2nd.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
Only one of them has both Ness and Bowser Jr. There is only one right answer.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
The newest one is always the right answer.

Who cares about clones. :snake::mewtwomelee::roymelee::pichumelee::popo::lucas::wolf:

:troll:

OBI1JABLOMI

Smash Cadet
SSB64 had the best roster because no one in that roster is ****ing clone

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Smash 4 had the best roster in my opinion. A majority of the characters are actually fun to play as.

Top Bottom