• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Controller will you use?

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Definitely. Though there are third party accessories that allow Gamecube controller usage, the input lag they cause makes them entirely unfeasible for this game. If Nintendo were to release an accessory without this disadvantage, however, it's a no brainer.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
The Game Pad if useable.. Really anything that ain't the wiimote or wiimote w/ nunchuk.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm using the SNES controller.
Maybe even the Atari Joystick if the time comes.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Am I really the only one who was fine with the wii mote+nunchuck set-up? I don't really know how well it fares in tournaments or whatever but I feel like I can play fine with it... Oh well, I must be a casual >.>

Needless to say, pro controller is obviously the ideal choice this round and I'm excited to see how well it plays in a smash context.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Defintely pro controller. At home.

Tourney's will need some 3rd party support for sure.

Solomon

Smash Rookie
For now my Gold classic controller pro, but I hope Nintendo does release a wired controller so some company can make a good adapter. I made a awesome custom gamecube controller not to long ago and it would be a shame that I stop using it.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
At first I will play with the gamepad. Then I will go to the setup I used in Brawl: the Wiimote+Nunchuku combo!

It really is the best combination. I can access all the necessary buttons without moving much at all. I change Down on the d-pad to Jump, with Left and Right on the d-pad to Grab. With my thumb always on A and index finger always on B, plus my left hand using the nunchuck and having it's own buttons, it's more efficient than a Pro or GameCube controller. I can press Jump and Attack/Smash at the same time without moving. Just jumping without using the thumbstick is faster and I can aim with the thumbstick for other purposes while I jump. I don't know anyone else who used my configuration, though.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Pro Controller unless they come out with a GameCube esque controller.

I'll also use the Gamepad if I can use it as a Scoreboard of sorts.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
GC adapter, if that sucks, then the nyko gamecube ish controller. if that sucks, then wii u pro

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
At first I will play with the gamepad. Then I will go to the setup I used in Brawl: the Wiimote+Nunchuku combo!

It really is the best combination. I can access all the necessary buttons without moving much at all. I change Down on the d-pad to Jump, with Left and Right on the d-pad to Grab. With my thumb always on A and index finger always on B, plus my left hand using the nunchuck and having it's own buttons, it's more efficient than a Pro or GameCube controller. I can press Jump and Attack/Smash at the same time without moving. Just jumping without using the thumbstick is faster and I can aim with the thumbstick for other purposes while I jump. I don't know anyone else who used my configuration, though.
I see what you're saying. I used to use a similar configuration to yours, but after switching back to the GameCube controller just a few months ago I can't give up the C-Stick.

On-topic, I'm definitely going to be using the pro controller. Even if the GameCube controller became available to use without latency issues I wouldn't use it. For me it's time to put that thing to rest. :p

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
I use to play the GCC until I heard about Smash 4 at E3. Now I used Wiimote and Nunchuck. I'm amazing at it and just can't get back to the GCC, it just feels not right anymore. Anyways though, I'll be using Wiimote&Nunchuck.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman

I can definitely understand this. I remember I got very comfortable with the Wii Remote+Nunchuk combo in Brawl, while all elitists around me told me to play with the GC controller. But really, this setup works just as fine, you just need to get used to it.

However, for the Wii U title, I'll use the GamePad - there's really no use for another controller unless you have a game which is motion control heavy.

Zanvel

Smash Cadet
I will use the pro controller, I think it's 10 times better than the GC-controller.

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
The Wii U pro controller is nice. The stick placement is convenient and it's got the SNES button configuration so transitioning from the 3DS version won't take much getting used to.

Just the 3DS pad, by the looks of it.

If I do end up caving and getting a Wii U, I'd be fine using the tablet, since its buttons are cozy and SNES-like; even if the second screen is totally superfluous.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
After I test the mayflash adaptor for GCC and see how much lag it has...

I'll decide at that point.

Hopefully it won't be too bad.

If it's good then I'll use the gamecube controller
If it's subpar then I'll use the pro controller.

GCC > Wii U Pro controller > Classic controller Pro > Gamepad > Wii mote + Nunchuck > Wii Mote >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nintendo 64 controller

LunethF

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luneth
3DS FC
5327-1175-2830
Probably the Pro Controller since it's one of the best controllers I've ever used. I'll be switching the controls to L=Jump and ZL=Shield though.
I'll give the Gamepad a shot (though I already prefer the buttons on the Pro Controller over the Gamepad) and I'll see how Wiimote+Nunchuk fairs since it's what I got comfortable with in Brawl.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Until Nintendo releases a Gamecube controller for Wii U, I'm just gonna use the Pro Controller.
GC adapter, if that sucks, then the nyko gamecube ish controller. if that sucks, then wii u pro
Who's used this? Can I hear some feedback on it?

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Won't know until I get a feeling of the Wii U's controllers. Probably the Pro Controller though.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I'll be using my Gamecube controller with mayflash adapter that is if it's classic controller compatible (I hope to Arceus and Palutena it is)
I don't get any lag from mine anyway

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
I'll be using my Gamecube controller with mayflash adapter that is if it's classic controller compatible (I hope to Arceus and Palutena it is)
I don't get any lag from mine anyway
From what I've heard the lag is pretty much equivalent to that from the Wii controller, or, overall, wireless controllers. That pretty much negates the advantage of a wired controller - the advantage is that it means you can continue using the GameCube controller with little negative attributes. I'm fairly sure it's worth it for those who would struggle switching.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
There is no struggle switching.

Gamecube controller just feels like a dream in the hands.

Wii U pro feels really nice too, but I like the layout of the GC more.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
There is no struggle switching.

Gamecube controller just feels like a dream in the hands.

Wii U pro feels really nice too, but I like the layout of the GC more.
Amazon seems to paint a fairly dismal picture of that adapter - between complaints of lag and the numerous complaints that what they received didn't work, I'm a little nervous to invest. Apparently there's another model that does much the same without any lag and no failure rate - but apparently it's rather pricey. Think I'm just going to adapt to the Pro Controller - it's one of my favourite controllers of all time. It's only the digital triggers that let it down for me - they're going to suck for Project CARS.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm getting a pro controller and if classic control from the wii is a option then the adapter to make a wii or a wii u think its a classic but accually a gamecube

Senario

Smash Ace
Wii classic controller pro if it is supported. Wii U pro controller otherwise. I don't plan on playing the 3DS version very hard because I value being able to play other games on my system as opposed to ruining the buttons. 3DS is harder to replace than a controller.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
I'll probably continue with the Wiimote+Nunchuk, but maybe I'll configure the gamepad/pro controller in a way the button layout resemble the Wii-chuk

Top Bottom